Shad282

The Book that changed your Perspective of Life?

What is the book that lead to a change into your perspective of life and taught you lessons or practices that helped you in your journey?

For me, it was: The power of now and practicing the power of now by Eckhart tolle. 

It taught me about mindfulness and the present moment and how to be aware in my life.

• Like 4

For me it was 2 books actually. 

The first, given to me by a friend - The Awakening of Intelligence, by J. Krishnamurti. 

The second one - The Meaning of Happiness, by Alan Watts. 

• Like 4

The Carlos Casteneda books made a big impression on me. Also "Meetings with remarkable men" by Gurdjieff.

• Like 4

'A Gradual Awakening' by Stephen Levine.  I had that in my backpack when I went through the Middle East and Europe.  I also picked up the book 'Masters of the Way' on the trip which also inspired me to to possibilities.

• Like 1

Not books but two authors.  Frederick Nietzsche and Carl Jung.  Nietzsche helped me to break away from Forms...to question my entire living and social and historical surroundings.  Carl Jung validated my experiences. 

As a result, I broke free from the Matrix, or the system.  This gave me the courage to cease the life I was living in for the past 11 years.  Then, I had my kundalini energy rising experience....because I have broken away from  Forms.  Thereby, ceased suffering.  :)  And all the knowledge about enlightenment and the Buddhist teaching only came later.... 

I realized my enlightenment without a teacher or hearing the teaching of the Sutra and Dharma...simply by realizing the 12 dependent origination of suffering in my world and in my life.  

You can say I was or am following the path of a Pratyeka Buddha or Samyaksam Buddha.  I always consider my cultivation realization as a testament of this age...a symptom of this age....   

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 5

the very first book that made a big impression on my was lord of the rings - I read it with 13 I think.

the second book that made a big impression on me was Ramana Maharshis "who am I"

and the third one must have been Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoches "cutting through spiritual materialism"

after I learned tibetan several other books changed my life also because I was lucky to receive long teachings on them, sometimes lasting several months

The Way of the bodhisattva by shantideva and Khenpo Khunpels commantery on it called "the nectar of manjushries speech" (this commantery is based on Patrul Rinpoches teachings) - I dare say knowing, understanding and trying to practice what is in these two books will make sure that the spiritual path wont go wrong and bear fruit, and understanding the Bodhisattvacharyavatara one understood the whole of the Sutrasection of the Mahayana teachings (plus establishing a basis for the understanding of Tantra)

The words of my perfect teacher by Patrul Rinpoche which I must have read all together more then 10 times and every time I readi it - it shows me my shortcomings, humbles me and inspires me to become a better human being

The precious beacon of certainty by Ju Mipham Rinpoche - a very deep exploration of reality, which left me speechless many many times, covering all the major point of the vast and profound teachings of sutra, tantra and dzogchen and condensing them into a single coherent enlightened intend

The precious treasury of Dharmadatu by Longchenpa - I simply stay silent

The treasury of precious Qualities by Jigme Lingpa - probably the most complete presentation of the different spiritual methods, views and ethics that form the life force of the dzogchen lineage I follow

the teachings and transmissions of these buddhist treatises changed me forever and I slowly understand the preciousness of the indo tibetan tradition, its inconceivable vastness, how kind the masters are who uphold and teach this blend of dharma and well lets stop here... there is a beautiful example that Jigme Lingpa uses in his yönten dzö (treasury of precious qualities): like birds that try to fly till the end of space will exhaust themselves in their endevour, likewise it is impossible to express the infinite qualities of the budddha and his teaching

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 8

The Attention Revolution by Alan Wallace - gave me a good understanding of the theory and practice of shamatha. Up till then I'd been stumbling around doing vague meditationy stuff without really knowing what I was even trying to do. Having a direction, being able to say 'I'm doing this, in this way, because this, for this', really flipped switches. 

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha by Daniel Ingram - like the above, but for vipassana, and what's more... a whole new shiny pragmatic no-nonsense approach to the whole thing. Wow. So much territory filled in, the path from this to that laid out plain and shown to be doable. 

• Like 4

In order of appearance:

Castaneda

Jiddu Krishnamurti - To Be Human

Ramana Maharshi - Be As You Are

Anthony DeMello - Awareness

Dudjom Lingpa - Buddhahood Without Meditation

Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche - Awakening the Luminous Mind

Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyud - 21 Little Nails

• Like 4

Meant to read this one -- thanks for reminding me.  I've read about her...  wow. 

She is quite extraordinary and paints a unique picture for those interested in Tibetan mysticism. 

I did a presentation on her in my Tibetan Studies class back when I was in school and my teacher simply couldnt accept that she actually went to Tibet.. even though their are hundreds photographs! 

Her writing on the "Gomchen" are interesting. The Tibetans whose job it is to sit in meditation day and night...

• Like 2

Dear old Jiddu was an enormous influence on me.

And of course J R R.

And Clive Staples Lewis, perhaps greater than Tolkien.

Maybe the Gospels of Christ.

Or the Dhamapadda.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

Years ago I purchased the mini 'meditation for dummies' on a whim instead of my usual Tolkienesque or mythological tastes, it had the 1-10 meditation I later read Glenn Morris referring to as the brain-scrub - did it, alot, and yeah, that introduced and started me on this Path of inner workings and psychic de-light. Inner Teachings of Taoism and Vitality, Energy, Spirit and Practical Taoism and the Liu I-ming I Ching by T.Cleary are a close quadruple-second. 

• Like 3

In order of discovery.............

The Old Testament (Bad impression, The Tree of Knowledge, Exiting Eden, Cane & Abel, Floods, War, Pestilence, Mad Moses and God who somehow seemed to be involved in all of it. Also no dinosaurs.) 

The New Testament (Good Impression, Jesus was a bit of a hippy, Who doesn't love being loved?) 

The Teachings of Don Juan - Carlos Castaneda (Bad Impression, also read and owned the entire canon...Carlos was an Charlatan, had me fooled for years.) 

Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman (Good Impression, and I just discovered (like NOW) it was made into a film and its got Nick Nolte in it so I am DL'ing it now...and preparing to be disappointed.) 

The Importance of Living - Lin Yutang (Good impression, there is no underestimating the importance of this book in my life. I bought it for 1 pound in a second hand store. It was like a 100 years old. It connected me to my Grandfather, who was a diplomat in the Far East, and without knowing it, set me upon my path in life to discover Taoism, by opening up my mind to Chinese thought. Reintroduced me and taught me to respect the art of Shakespeare. I have never met anybody else who has read any of his works so please do take the time to discover this author by visiting the Amazon, website that is.) 

The Tao The Ching - Lao Tzu (Good Impression, was given to me on my 18th birthday by a Rastafarian, and became the backbone to my existence. The most important book ever written. And the oldest. By a few thousand years, making it older than God. Sorry Abraham.)  

Hua-Ching Ni - (Good impression, over 45 books from the venerable master, I spent a small fortune for a boy on collecting his works) 

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig (Good Impression, opened my mind towards the idea of Arté, quality, and the importance of learning the classics for a Western mind.) 

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (Bad Impression, terrified me, what a visionary.) 

Animal Farm - George Orwell (Bad impression, communism, the few V the many, cruelty, dictatorship, inhumanity.) 

Paulo Coelho - in its entirety (Good Impression, Paulho helped me eradicate a lot of the bullshit put into my mind by Castenada.) 

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (Good Impression, lets not take life to seriously, it really doesn't need us you know. Also helped me discover audio books..and was read by the author. Delightful English humour which helped me to the realisation that I am also quite funny, even though I don't know one joke.) 

Tao of Letting Go - Bruce Kumar Frantzis (Good Impression, and on audio book. My go to cure for insomnia.)

and finally ..

The Story Of My Life - rossantony (Good impression, a lot of very ropey chapters which probably won't make the final edit. Hopefully I am still on page 1. Work in progress. In fact I still have just "The Title" and a lot of blank pages being supported by forever embellishing memory and a FB timeline. Hoping to finish the book after I have began writing it. Planning to do that when I am 70. 

• Like 1

In order of discovery.............

The Old Testament (Bad impression, The Tree of Knowledge, Exiting Eden, Cane & Abel, Floods, War, Pestilence, Mad Moses and God who somehow seemed to be involved in all of it. Also no dinosaurs.) 

The New Testament (Good Impression, Jesus was a bit of a hippy, Who doesn't love being loved?) 

The Teachings of Don Juan - Carlos Castaneda (Bad Impression, also read and owned the entire canon...Carlos was an Charlatan, had me fooled for years.) 

Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman (Good Impression, and I just discovered (like NOW) it was made into a film and its got Nick Nolte in it so I am DL'ing it now...and preparing to be disappointed.) 

The Importance of Living - Lin Yutang (Good impression, there is no underestimating the importance of this book in my life. I bought it for 1 pound in a second hand store. It was like a 100 years old. It connected me to my Grandfather, who was a diplomat in the Far East, and without knowing it, set me upon my path in life to discover Taoism, by opening up my mind to Chinese thought. Reintroduced me and taught me to respect the art of Shakespeare. I have never met anybody else who has read any of his works so please do take the time to discover this author by visiting the Amazon, website that is.) 

The Tao The Ching - Lao Tzu (Good Impression, was given to me on my 18th birthday by a Rastafarian, and became the backbone to my existence. The most important book ever written. And the oldest. By a few thousand years, making it older than God. Sorry Abraham.)  

Hua-Ching Ni - (Good impression, over 45 books from the venerable master, I spent a small fortune for a boy on collecting his works) 

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig (Good Impression, opened my mind towards the idea of Arté, quality, and the importance of learning the classics for a Western mind.) 

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (Bad Impression, terrified me, what a visionary.) 

Animal Farm - George Orwell (Bad impression, communism, the few V the many, cruelty, dictatorship, inhumanity.) 

Paulo Coelho - in its entirety (Good Impression, Paulho helped me eradicate a lot of the bullshit put into my mind by Castenada.) 

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (Good Impression, lets not take life to seriously, it really doesn't need us you know. Also helped me discover audio books..and was read by the author. Delightful English humour which helped me to the realisation that I am also quite funny, even though I don't know one joke.) 

Tao of Letting Go - Bruce Kumar Frantzis (Good Impression, and on audio book. My go to cure for insomnia.)

and finally ..

The Story Of My Life - rossantony (Good impression, a lot of very ropey chapters which probably won't make the final edit. Hopefully I am still on page 1. Work in progress. In fact I still have just "The Title" and a lot of blank pages being supported by forever embellishing memory and a FB timeline. Hoping to finish the book after I have began writing it. Planning to do that when I am 70. 

I have been told about peaceful warrior book.. but i m going to download the movie for now, since the book is quite expensive... i checked the trailer seems nice i guess.. did u watch it?

I have read the Tao Te Ching but didn't find a good explanation.. a deep one yet.

I m going to check Hua-Ching Ni and The Importance of Living - Lin Yutang. 

What is the book that lead to a change into your perspective of life and taught you lessons or practices that helped you in your journey?

For me, it was: The power of now and practicing the power of now by Eckhart tolle. 

It taught me about mindfulness and the present moment and how to be aware in my life.

For me there were three books --

1. Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahamsa Yogananda
  2. A book on Edgar Cayce - don't remember the title unfortunately
  3. Carlos Castaneda - The Teachings of Don Juan, An Yaqui Way of Knowledge

I'm adding some that I discovered much later, and helped me immensely --

1. Brahma Sutra Bhashyam - Shankaracharya (I have the one with commentary by Swami Dayanand Saraswati) 
  2. Yoga Vasishtha (classic indian text on Advaita vedanta) 
  3. T'ai Ch'i Classics - Waysun Liao
  4. Nine Nights with a Taoist Master - Waysun Liao
  5. Jnana Yoga - The way of Knowledge - Ramakrishna Puligandla
Edited by dwai
  • Like 3

There have been many. :(

The most recent, and thus most relevant, is certainly Michael Lomax's A Light Warrior's Guide

Before that? Richard Bach's "Illusions"

Before that? "The Dancing Wu Li Masters"

Before that? "God Emperor of Dune" (loved the wholes series but that one in particular)

Before that? "The Feynman Lectures on Physics"

Each came at the proper time (funny how that works) and each triggered paradigm shifts. There are several threads connecting them, too.

Lots of other works have been significantly impactful but those, after some contemplation, are the sequence I would list (so I did...)

• Like 5

The Carlos Casteneda books made a big impression on me. 

On me too ...  ;)

• Like 1

Path Notes of an American Ninja Master by Glenn Morris

This I should read too ... I think, I even have it in my collection ...

I have been told about peaceful warrior book.. but i m going to download the movie for now, since the book is quite expensive... i checked the trailer seems nice i guess.. did u watch it?

I have read the Tao Te Ching but didn't find a good explanation.. a deep one yet.

I m going to check Hua-Ching Ni and The Importance of Living - Lin Yutang. 

Thanks  :)

​the book is far better than the movie..although it does try to touch on the concept of the magic of being in the moment with some cool editing..

the tao teh ching ... is a life study...it would be impossible for a good explanation that would grant instant enlightenment... keep reading ..keep living in the now...

enjoy hua ching ni and lin yutang...

Hmmm... I recall being spellbound by an excerpt of A Wizard of Earthsea in 5th grade, and in 6th LotR gave me a safe haven from my peers in such a deep and satisfying way.

But spiritually, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior helped me to wake up a bit and take a peak outside of the box. I remember one paragraph in particular speaking of the mind (intellect) as something like an usurper. I found this oddly perplexing as I didn't understand, yet knew it for truth.

Then The Celestine Prophecy. I just soaked those principles right up. To this day I love using the description of relationships where two people form a codependent whole, rather than two people becoming whole unto themselves and forming a "superwhole."

And Anodea Judith's Wheels of Life, such a fantastic and in depth book on chakras and spirituality.

Those 3 really helped my 17-18 year old self realize there was something else out there worth living for. At the time I couldn't really understand what the point of life was if all I did was simply feeding into a society that was destroying itself. A few years later I found a taiji class that opened the door to cultivation work and books on qi, and the rest is history.

• Like 2