Kar3n

Setting up your default Activity Stream

It is possible to avoid seeing and being drawn into discussion that might be distressing or deemed unworthy as topics of conversation for TDB.

You must create a new Activity Stream and set it as your default, it can be renamed to whatever you choose. In the following example I will create a new default stream to include all areas of the forums except off grid. In doing so, I will no longer see any posts from off grid when I click what is now Unread Content (I will edit it when prompted) to the right of topic titles.

From the header, select Activity> Topics> Content Type. From the drop down menu select Topics. From there, select every forum you wish to see in your new Activity Stream. I checked them all but off grid.

5bdb217bad93c_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_52_28AM.png.52ec621d4bbd98e89e4ad770dc29ab7a.png

After making your selections, click Apply Changes.

5bdb217a97cf3_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_50_49AM.png.7c34815786fd5e3ca27b4b2362aa411e.png

You will be prompted to save your new stream and rename it as something other than Unread Content if you so choose.

5bdb2329e4554_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_58_36AM.thumb.png.8e80eaeabaa339d51a2f4c080397d00a.png

You may make your new stream your default by clicking the check mark next to the title of your stream. Notice in this pic, before setting it as my default, Unread Content is still listed to the right...

5bdb23ce264fc_ScreenShot2018-11-01at9_02_08AM.png.9339014fa3e5d383b593b3592e8d6380.png

If you choose to edit the title of your new stream to something other than Unread Content, It will be reflected after setting it as the default.

5bdb255b10159_ScreenShot2018-11-01at9_05_57AM.png.cf1d9e89229ae72c0d0b7e3088daa71c.png

In this example, when I click my default stream, Everything but Off Grid,  previously titled Unread Content, I only see what I have chosen to see.

I hope this helps those wish to not see or participate in certain areas of the forums. It does take a bit of doing to avoid them, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

I am happy to help in any way I can to facilitate this for those interested and have further questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I like how the screen-shot says "Everthing" - proof that the mods are not prfect. ;)

Being perfect is way too much responsibility. I will stick with being human. :D

I corrected it on my end, thanks for pointing it out.

5bdb2c2265991_ScreenShot2018-11-01at9_37_48AM.png.30e504cb7d8f205101e003d71b0a589b.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have successfully created a stream without the Off Grid section, but what is the result of setting it as my default stream? I still have to navigate to it by way of:  Activity > My Activity Streams > Without Off Grid (as I call it)

Edited by wandelaar

22 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I have successfully created a stream without the Off Grid section, but what is the result of setting it as my default stream? I still have to navigate to it by way of:  Activity > My Activity Streams > Without Off Grid (as I call it)

You can do that or you can navigate to your default stream by clicking the shortcut in the header, I have renamed mine to Everything but Off Grid. I have circled its location in the following pic... This shortcut is on every screen, in the same location.

5bdb385149fb6_ScreenShot2018-11-01at9_37_48AM.png.19ff7137eade53d3e0b1d1b79989a0b0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a mobile device the default stream shortcut is the newspaper looking icon at the top.

20181101_110105.jpg.d03119f1e28e72c583d88102ea93ef22.jpg

• Like 2

I have created a first option and link within the Activity Menu to jump to this thread.

Thank you Karen !  :wub:

And Brian was an early one to talk about customizing this, so remote thanks sent his way too :)

• Like 4

Thank you for doing this!

Is there a way to hide the long list of everything i choose to read at the top of my new default page?

2 hours ago, dawei said:

I have created a first option and link within the Activity Menu to jump to this thread.

Very good! :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cheya said:

Thank you for doing this!

Is there a way to hide the long list of everything i choose to read at the top of my new default page?

I looked this morning because I knew this might come up and came up empty-handed when looking for a solution.

• Like 1

Well, guess I'll just get used to it... Thanks for thinking about it... 

Maybe someone else will figure it out...

If there IS a way to just eliminate the OG forum, that would still be preferable... rather than having that long list appear there... but whatever.  It accomplishes the purpose...  

And it REALLY shortens the list!  Hooray!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

Too funny! I just noticed this topic... for me, how to get rid of the Off Grid list....

is in the Off Grid forum!

Oh! not it's not, that's just the tag. Sorry!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1