Shad282

The Book that changed your Perspective of Life?

I could name a few books but I prefer to jazz it up a beat.

Edited by Lao Sun Tao
  • Like 1

I was brought up in a Catholic family and the oddity of the bible struck me at a very young age. The "teaching" seemed inherently off and strange - sad and twisted.

It struck me with facination that even my father who was very intelligent could actually believe in the general beliefs of the particular offshoot we participated in. The pain and contortion of the church services and the general morbidity of what seemed an obvious concoction.

Yet I was about 7 when concluding these things and looked into them further - not trying to prove myself wrong or right but to explore further what seemed a truly derailed belief system.

I became an Alter Boy and for a time by my own request attended church everyday - these experiences allowed for observation and feeling.

I came to see Spirit in a whole new and positive way but also understood how unfortunate this mangled system and its effect upon the parishioners was.

There had to be something better - something that spoke to spirit with truth and not the cavalcade of misery and dearth and unwarranted fear. I had felt like I was living with an alien family in a mostly alien land of believers in a most unwholesome and ungodly religion/concoction that while it had glimmers of real spirit - it was drowned in a wormy compost of dogma and dis-ease.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Good thread, hope it keeps going.  

For me the book that changed my outlook on life, spirituality and the human condition was The Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoevsky.  All of Dostoevsky's books are outstanding, but the Brothers Karamazov offers insights into human nature that I have not seen from anywhere else. 

• Like 1

I would also have to say after reading the bible I found it so disturbing that I needed an alternative with out all the gross stuff in the bible (very far from holy).

Taoist philosophy and all the classics reaffirmed my own intuition of truly being with all that is and the best teacher of all things nature is not divorced or separated from being.

• Like 2

so, so many

too many to ever fully list

but the most potent and immediate that come to mind

the king james bible

tao te jing

talmud

the cave

the origin tales of many of the north american precolumbian cultures

mabyn of the mabinogion

yellow emperor's classic of medicine

prometheus rising

the power of now

tibetan book of the dead

the grand inquisitor

the origin of satan

nag hammadi

as a child specifically

the king james bible

the hobbit

the giving tree

I was also exposed to george carlin at the age of 8 or so.

He had a very potent impact as an example of a rare type of adult to me.

• Like 3

Alan Watts changed my perspective a lot early on. Can't be sure now, so long ago...! but I think stumbling across his lectures/books when I was in my late teens first got me looking deeper into Eastern philosophy. Without his particularly accessible and logical take on all the Eastern stuff, I'd probably have ignored them in favour of the Western stuff we were being taught already and missed out on some serious ideas. I remember studying Plato, Kant, Mill, Marx, Sartre, Descartes, Locke, and Russell, among others, but not a one had the same long-term effect as the TTC. Though maybe that's cos I had no idea what the TTC was talking about...(and still don't..)

Either way, if it hadn't been for both Alan and the TTC (and a little bit of weed) I would surely not be quite the same person right now.

Also On the Road when I was about 16.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 2

Without a doubt, Paul Reps compilation Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. This opened up a whole new mind for me..and still does.

I cant leave out W.Sommerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge. The path of the seeker is solitary, but honourable.

8)

• Like 1