Aaron

Trolling and Off-topic disruptions

Trolling and Off-topic dispruptions  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should TTB enforce a policy against trolling and off-topic comments meant to disrupt topics?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no opinion regarding this.

I am actually looking for a consensus regarding this thread. I wanted to know if the recent upsurge in trolling and off-topic disruption is bothering anyone else. I voted yes on the poll because I would like to see more moderation, so comments like the one above would be nipped in the bud and we wouldn't have the petty back and forths, but actual discussions about the topic. I guess it's too much to ask adults to behave like adults.

Aaron

Ok, ya'll can guess I voted 'No'.

If you want an on topic discussion,

check out a book on the topic or take a class.

But that's not really a discussion is it.

My point being,

Real life conversions dont stay on topic,

learn to bring it back,

in a way no one even notices you're stearing it.

• Like 1

I've found that it can be called 'trolling' on here if one posts something one believes to be contributory to a discussion that someone else doesn't agree with.

I'm a lone voice bleating against a particular system seller who appears to abuse the forum to advertise his wares for free and does nothing else by way of constructive contribution to TTB discussions.

Every time I raise that issue I'm warned off and attempted debate is futile as disciples accuse one of 'trolling'.

Any restriction of freedom of expression is dubious. Abusive posters are easily dealt with but 'trolling' might only exist in the mind of someone who just doesn't like what is being said.

if someone is using this forum to advertise tgheir brand of qigong or whatever, why does this bother you?

i have seen you plug your centre many many times.

• Like 1

try the appraoch of "dont feed the trolls"

maybe that will quiet them down a bit.

sometimes they are looking for the

knee jerk reaction to their posts,

if they dont get that,

maybe they will lose energy.

Dio.

Tho I wish that would work on

taxes and big goverment.

Dont like them dont pay them.

But that be jail time.

Oh sorry, off topic there.

Point being starve it early

before it can eat you.

Thick skin, less ego helps.

P.S. Dio = Ditto, but I forgot the ts one day

and have been spelling it that way ever since.

Edited by OnPhourCoughee
  • Like 1

try the appraoch of "dont feed the trolls"

maybe that will quiet them down a bit.

sometimes they are looking for the knee jerk reaction to their posts, if they dont get that, maybe they will lose energy.

Abso-blooming-lutely !!!

Occasionally a "poster" will get a little carried away & write something that can be a little OTT.

Perhaps they read something that hit a nerve & just had to air their views... no problem with that.

But all those guilty of being Trolls 24/7 should go stand on the Naughty Step !!!

LOL

• Like 2

if someone is using this forum to advertise tgheir brand of qigong or whatever, why does this bother you?

i have seen you plug your centre many many times.

Making no contribution to the community apart from issuing posts pushing proprietary product is, to my mind; cheeky.

I have nothing against system sellers, some do good work . Jenny Lam for example, she pays for her ads up top and joins in now and again.

Other system sellers don't and also close off any seemingly dissident views.

My claim that system sellers repackage extant materials for profit is a valid one to make. You don't have to agree with it and can argue to refute it.

But to shout someone down for making that claim is, to my mind; just wrong.

I don't advertise on here I 'invite' to upcoming events. Our non commercial centre is a 'not for profit' registered social charity, money from the gigs I put on here which as you will have noted is usually £2 or £3 a ticket, helps to keep the doors open with any residue going to our anual charity (Leicester Animal Aid this year).

Nobody takes a wage, ever.

I do advertise mediumship services elsewhere online and pay to do so. Were I to advertise here then I''d expect to pay as should anyone offering goods and services for sale.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 4

Making no contribution to the community apart from issuing posts pushing proprietary product is, to my mind; cheeky.

I have nothing against system sellers, some do good work . Jenny Lam for example, she pays for her ads up top and joins in now and again.

Other system sellers don't and also close off any seemingly dissident views.

My claim that system sellers repackage extant materials for profit is a valid one to make. You don't have to agree with it and can argue to refute it.

But to shout someone down for making that claim is, to my mind; just wrong.

I don't advertise on here I 'invite' to upcoming events. Our non commercial centre is a 'not for profit' registered social charity, money from the gigs I put on here which as you will have noted is usually £2 or £3 a ticket, helps to keep the doors open with any residue going to our anual charity (Leicester Animal Aid this year).

Nobody takes a wage, ever.

I do advertise mediumship services elsewhere online and pay to do so. Were I to advertise here then I''d expect to pay as should anyone offering goods and services for sale.

I suspect it may be a case of - it's not what you say but the way that you say it. If you, as Sean puts it, keep things civil ... then I don't see why there should be problem.

• Like 3

grandp, i am not and was not trying to refute you. i asked a question and am satisfied with your answer. (overall)

and of course i am not a mod.

and if this is going on;

close off any seemingly dissident views

shout someone down for making that claim

then i can understand your annoyance.

the qigong teachers who participate on this thread do have some loyal students.(who are quick to defend the teacher) i presume the loyalty is due to the teacher having benefitted the student. and i try to embrace them all. after all any Taoist practice or qigong practice or taiji practice is better than none. as long as the practice is safe. and in my opinion the vast majority of systems are safe and have been tested over time , i think it is great that you provide a centre for folks to learn silk brocades(a good qigong system) from my view the mediumship is also interesting and why pay for an ad when we can discuss it in a thread? each member here is free to choose what they wish to pursue, some have more talent in discernment than others, but it doesnt matter really imo

• Like 1

Even my semen doesn't go off-topic.

Sometimes I have to rub real hard for it to come off-topic.

I'm going to recommend that you be sent to the pit! Hehehe.

• Like 3

i feel like this thread is entirely appropriate and much in need of some good dick humor

maybe a few "your mom" jokes even

• Like 1

I think some masters of Qigong, Neigong, Healing etc who In my opinion really have a lot of experience with healing/teaching have every right to make money with what theyre doing, they need to live in society too and I dont think expecting someone like that to just go and find some office job and do their stuff on the side, their contributing a real service, and just because someone does something for free is nice and all, but it really doesnt mean that everyone should, perhaps there are different intentions with money, and plus people are human beings too, thats taoism.

• Like 1

I think some masters of Qigong, Neigong, Healing etc who In my opinion really have a lot of experience with healing/teaching have every right to make money with what theyre doing, they need to live in society too and I dont think expecting someone like that to just go and find some office job and do their stuff on the side, their contributing a real service, and just because someone does something for free is nice and all, but it really doesnt mean that everyone should, perhaps there are different intentions with money, and plus people are human beings too, thats taoism.

i agree bro, though i don't really believe in "rights". i believe that people do what they do

also wrong thread lol

• Like 1

i feel like this thread is entirely appropriate and much in need of some good dick humor

maybe a few "your mom" jokes even

maybe aaron was onto something afterall, idk

• Like 1

If a teacher or shaman really has what it takes, there is absolutely no doubt people will flock to him/her to seek his/her presence. In the East, for example, advertising one's abilities to get patrons and punters are seen as bad form. The way its done over there is thru one's show of ability. Prove your worth, and word quickly spreads around, and if the sincerity is felt, patrons will then mysteriously appear to give you anything you want, just to ensure that you can continue unhindered to provide your specialized service to the masses.

Some teachers i know have a hard time keeping the ardent followers away, really. These enamored students would follow the teacher to France, to Germany, to the UK, anywhere the teacher goes, they follow, as if mesmerized. These teachers do not advertise in the conventional sense -- their presence is enough advertisement in itself.

Sadly, i have observed that a lot of Tibetan centres in the West have begun to charge heftily for their retreats and workshops. Yet, there are still teachers who give teachings and do not ask for payment, but its getting more difficult to connect with them. People's expectations have changed a lot in recent times.

• Like 2

Sure, no reason that Qi Gong teachers should post here with free info for their students or anyone interested in what an actual master has to say about true Taoist traditions. Surely we all came here just to hear the B.S. between the lines of actual Daoist related content. Surely can't wait to talk about sacred texts next to somebody's fart joke or newsflash that they just masturbated today and will update you on the next great effort. Surely masters will be piling in by the dozens to share their wisdom, and intelligent thoughtful people will hang around to contribute.

• Like 3

I found that post funny and we do chat about things south of the equator sometimes so a little humour now and again is fine.

It's academic to me as I'm past all that nonsense but Taoism does have room for sexual cultivation and surely we don't have to be upright about it, as I recall and if memory serves then some of that stuff was fun.

On topic, I am amazed at just how much some system sellers charge for their wares and as for retreats I saw one recently £350 for a day, not even catered attendees had to pay for lunch on top of that.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I want to make another point if I was a healer had a business etc and I charged £1/£2 for my services I personally believe no matter how great generous, selfless etc I think I am, people would view it due to other ways of thinking in this society as ineffective and cheap for a reason. I would charge money first of all because I have a life etc nothing wrong with being selfish (although I think those things get less and less after a while) secondly so as when people invest they treat it as valuable, michaels workshops are hefty for some maybe, sometimes, but people spend all sorts of money on ridiculous things so why not spend it on something useful? Some Qigong teacher charge thousands for small workshops, same with all these yoga retreats etc

• Like 1

You just have to be aware of the suble advertisers, like the Flying Phoenix Qigong thread gets bumped to the first page on regular basis by people with only a handful of posts and only ever post in that thread asking basic questions, something fishy going on there methinks.

^ Bums being able to ask the teacher of a system questions, and getting them answered, in a long thread that's {I think still} relatively insult and off topic free

Isn' t that a good thing for TTB? Yes it's subtle advertising but try google searching " Flying Phoenix Qigong" ... wonder where you might try going to discuss it, if you were interested.

I always appreciate teachers trying out TTB, I get to hear about a lot of stuff and other bums opinions of it.

• Like 1

I used to troll. Yes, I would sit in a boat, the boat moving slowly forward, trying to catch a fish. I was any good at it. Likely I didn't practice enough.

And I totally agree that if a member has a question concerning a topic, subject, concept and makes a post requesting information it is fair but even recommended that someone with knowledge in that area respond to the member's question. So what that this responding member earns a living in this area of consideration? I don't consider that trolling; I consider it trying to be helpful.

Now. I will agreee that if the answers (?) are withheld unless the questioning member joins or pays something is trolling. Is it totally wrong? I can't answer that.

"£350 for a day"

Also it is not 350 pounds for a day it is 350 dollars (£125) for a three day full workshop and that is with a world renowned master, where you get an authentic lineage transmission worth a lot of effort imo. How much do you think people like Michael who went back and forth from USA to China and put in thousands upon thousands of hours of training required spent? Like I said some people might find the price hefty, I have struggled on a couple occasions due to not working at the moment but I know plenty of people who go to nightclubs and spend £30-40 a night, twice a week. Also I do agree with what Michael has said about some Qigong routines serving as mostly calisthenetics and I think there is a valid reason for him saying that. There is that Yi jin jing workshop to China that cost £3000 or something?

He also has something like 2-300 posts if memory serves correctly hardly only posting to advertise.

Edited by sinansencer
  • Like 1