Aaron

Trolling and Off-topic disruptions

Trolling and Off-topic dispruptions  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should TTB enforce a policy against trolling and off-topic comments meant to disrupt topics?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no opinion regarding this.

What are the limits of TTB and the moderators? Should the moderators be involved in challenging outright lies based on fear and manipulation? In this case the political threads that are ever so much part of the discussion here. E.g. this is a recent exchange with Joeblast who is a known conservative.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/26632-rich-ceos-call-for-raising-retirement-age-to-70-medicare-social-security/page-3#entry396924

.and before we hear the ol "oh but I put my money in, and I simply want a return on my investment" - sorry to tell you but that line of thinking is based on a pack of lies. ALL of the money in the "SS Trust Fund" is gone, it is like in Dumb & Dumber, there is a big shoebox of intragovernmental IOUs - ALL SS money that comes in gets immediately paid out in benefits and there isnt a damn thing "invested for the future" about the money you currently pay in to SS. IOTW you are not investing a damned thing!!!

I challenged this with data from the Congressional Budget Office http://www.cbo.gov/publication/43648 and here is the response.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/26632-rich-ceos-call-for-raising-retirement-age-to-70-medicare-social-security/page-3#entry396961

*chuckles* look! I can prove it! *points at government generated official stamped propaganda* see???

:lol: is that peer reviewed?? :rolleyes:

we all know the CBO reports on exactly what its told to report on, within the provided parameters included in the instructions. anything outside of that is not allowed to be counted or scored - how the hell do you think they got away with the bald faced lie that Obamacare was going to cost under a trillion dollars? anyone with half a brain that did their reading knew that number was a slice of the pie and not even close to the whole pie, explicitly because of the parameters of the CBO's scoring!!!

like I said...since the progressives are in charge now, there's a whole hell of a lot that is a-ok and no longer an issue! deed speaks louder than word.

For some here this may seem innocuous. However, there are some here that are reaching retirement age in a few years and are going to be dependent on SS. Future retirees may believe these blatant falsehoods. To allow such rhetoric to continue here unchallenged by the moderators except by one or two of us is clearly wrong. Meme's such as what JB posts here do more harm than good.

Moderators should not and could not arbitrate on content ...political or otherwise.

• Like 2

Ralis, if that's going to happen, then also should be done towards all the 'victim-blaming' philosophies peddled, the 'positive thinking' New Age stuff, the 'pray to God' suggestions and on and on. Personally I'd rather see lively discussion around these topics that encourages people to find things out for themselves.

• Like 2

something may be not accurate information, but if you are about to retire and are getting all of your information from this website and not like...the people who are going to give you your retirement money then you are the one that needs to do something about your ignorance situation, not the mods

• Like 2

something may be not accurate information, but if you are about to retire and are getting all of your information from this website and not like...the people who are going to give you your retirement money then you are the one that needs to do something about your ignorance situation, not the mods

I am not ignorant in money matters at all! I happen to be a successful businessman. Just speaking out against blatant lies that only a few of us question here.

I am not ignorant in money matters at all! I happen to be a successful businessman. Just speaking out against blatant lies that only a few of us question here.

pardon me if i am misreading things, but did you just take my statement as a personal attack against your intelligence? A little jumpy, aren't we?

• Like 1

pardon me if i am misreading things, but did you just take my statement as a personal attack against your intelligence? A little jumpy, aren't we?

No.

"I don't see the DDJ as saying there should be no emperor, just that s/he should rule as subtly and unobtrusively as possible. Which implies that s/he does need to rule."

MS.....

You are 100% right. The TTC also says that the people are living in peace; thus they don't even know that there was an emperor ever existed.

And that is why it was called the Warring State Period? :huh:

Unless you meant that the TTC talked of a time when people lived in peace... which would be past tense...

ralis, excuse me but from my view all politicians lie , even the green party, even libertarians, etc

the words/labels liberal and conservative are used out of proper context imo 97% of the time and imo anyone who agrees 100% all the time with their chosen political party dont use their critical thinking too often. i do review you and joeblasts political rivalry on those threads and find it entertaining and sometimes informative. it is no secret that my sympathies are with the poor people, but i also consider the conservative viewpoints. just becoz you 2 have diametrically opposed political viewpoints does not make one of you guys any more intelligent or less honest than the other. its politics man.

• Like 2

ralis, excuse me but from my view all politicians lie , even the green party, even libertarians, etc

the words/labels liberal and conservative are used out of proper context imo 97% of the time and imo anyone who agrees 100% all the time with their chosen political party dont use their critical thinking too often. i do review you and joeblasts political rivalry on those threads and find it entertaining and sometimes informative. it is no secret that my sympathies are with the poor people, but i also consider the conservative viewpoints. just becoz you 2 have diametrically opposed political viewpoints does not make one of you guys any more intelligent or less honest than the other. its politics man.

I was only referring to the CBO which is not a political organization. I agree that politicians lie some of the time. Some more than others.

• Like 1

i'm saying you guys, we NEED a politics forum. this thread is just more proof. there was no point at all for this to turn into political discussion and yet here we are...

• Like 4

I've learned that -

people will forget what you said,

people will forget what you did,

but people will never forget

how you made them feel

- Maya Angelou

I've found that it can be called 'trolling' on here if one posts something one believes to be contributory to a discussion that someone else doesn't agree with.

I'm a lone voice bleating against a particular system seller who appears to abuse the forum to advertise his wares for free and does nothing else by way of constructive contribution to TTB discussions.

Every time I raise that issue I'm warned off and attempted debate is futile as disciples accuse one of 'trolling'.

Any restriction of freedom of expression is dubious. Abusive posters are easily dealt with but 'trolling' might only exist in the mind of someone who just doesn't like what is being said.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 4

... but 'trolling' might only exist in the mind of someone who just doesn't like what is being said.

I don't need to add anything to this - just wanted to repeat it.

• Like 3

Umm... I'm wondering why every time you ever respond to me, it's always in a bitter, critical, angry tone. Honestly, if you don't like what I do or say, just ignore me. I really don't need to hear this juvenile bullsh***.

Aaron

>.> I think it was a joke.

• Like 1

I've found that it can be called 'trolling' on here if one posts something one believes to be contributory to a discussion that someone else doesn't agree with.

I'm a lone voice bleating against a particular system seller who appears to abuse the forum to advertise his wares for free and does nothing else by way of constructive contribution to TTB discussions.

Every time I raise that issue I'm warned off and attempted debate is futile as disciples accuse one of 'trolling'.

Any restriction of freedom of expression is dubious. Abusive posters are easily dealt with but 'trolling' might only exist in the mind of someone who just doesn't like what is being said.

Dio

• Like 1