Taiji Bum

If I am so cultivated.... why am I tubby?

Im being totally honest, if a person has a belly its because of diet and or lack of physcial training. Im not saying Darin isnt cultivated but he lacks physcial health its so obvious. If was also very physcially fit and looked after yourself with your chi cultivation bigger bang for your bucks.

Strong body = strong mind = strong chi = strong spirit you have a belly cause your mind is not strong enough to keep your physcially fit therefore one of your elements is out of wack

im very suprised this thread did not touch on peoples differences in metabolism. I am a very lean guy no matter what I do, I can eat as much as I want and I wont gain a pound no matter how sedentary I am. Granted I am still young, so maybe this will change as I age. I have barely got any excercise in the last year and when I dont excercise I actually LOOSE weight. The only way I can gain weight is by a lot of regular bodybuilding which just does not work for me because it puts way too much stress on my body in the codition its in at the moment.

The point I am trying to make here is that people have different body types and its not fair to look at someone and say "oh your a lazy fat bastard who eats too much" just because they have a belly. The reverse is also true someone might look at a skinny guy and say he needs to lift or eat or whatever. When I used to lift a lot I was not too much bigger then I am now, but I was A Lot stronger, so you cant just tell all these things from looking at a person....unless you can see auras or something

Additionally my apetite is not very good, and people often tell me I need to eat more, but would it really be healthy for me to FORCE myself to eat when im not hungry? This just strains my digestion and makes me bloated. Some people DO have more apetite then others, so telling someone they have weak control over their eating habits just because they have a stronger hunger could also potentially be arbitrary.

Some people also have more efficient digestion and may use up more food even if they eat less. so therefore they may be able to gain weight easier.

I for example have poor digestion, poor apetie and im thin. Does this mean I have excellent self control over my eating and workout habits? Absolutely not!

Some obese people have pituitary tumors or other PHYSICAL FACTORS that make loosing weight for them very hard no matter what they do. Ultimately I guess it comes down to karma and for some people its just really tough.

I am not saying people should not work hard to loose weight I am just saying it should be understood its not the same process for everybody.

a good analogy is sex drive in some it is strong and in others it is weak. just because it is weaker in some does not mean they are more spiritually advanced, they could have low testosterone, or poor bloodflow to their genitals, or emotional blockages. Vice versa is true, and telling people with strong sex drives that they are lazy or have weak will or whatever without knowing anything else about them is just stupid. not everybody can rely on the same approaches to help their problems.

Ape is spot on! I am unbalanced and really unhealthy. Thats nothing to be ashamed of. I am what I am. I sit at a computer at work 8hrs a day. Lately, I have started exercising every half hour real quick at work and I havent had any fast food, sugar or Mountain Dew in a week. I am also keeping a video journal of my weight loss and fitness regimen that nobody will see until I am fit again. Back in 2005 I wore 30 inch waist jeans and ran 5 miles or more a day. Now... not so much.... but soon again.... :lol:

I want to get back into fighting shape again. Getting thrown when your 175 is much different than when your 235! I prefer 175!!! B)

Hey Darin,

Ever wondered why there are not many Chinese who have weight problems? Thats because the Asian diet emphasizes taste and essence, while the Western one is focussed on visual appeal and quantity/bulk.

Being raised in the East, and working now in the West as a Chef, i have been observing this with much interest. So if you want some tips on healthy eating Chinese style, let me know? :) Personally, i have never struggled with weight issues -- i weighed 130 lbs when i was 16 yrs old (5ft 7in), and i still have a pair of jeans that i bought when i was 22, that i still wear the odd time. I am 49 now, and weigh 132 lbs. One of the main reasons for keeping this weight is my diet. Not only do i eat for my physical body (quality/quantity), but i also eat to maintain my subtle body (essence). Since you do Tai Ji and other internal martial arts, it may be an idea to *feed* your subtle body too! When you look after this, your outer physique will follow and align itself in harmony with the subtle one. This is an ancient Chinese belief. I dont think it works the other way round.

Multi-level dieting for multi-level energy development..make sense? Something to ponder about eh?

All the best!

Hey Darin,

Ever wondered why there are not many Chinese who have weight problems? Thats because the Asian diet emphasizes taste and essence, while the Western one is focussed on visual appeal and quantity/bulk.

Being raised in the East, and working now in the West as a Chef, i have been observing this with much interest. So if you want some tips on healthy eating Chinese style, let me know? :) Personally, i have never struggled with weight issues -- i weighed 130 lbs when i was 16 yrs old (5ft 7in), and i still have a pair of jeans that i bought when i was 22, that i still wear the odd time. I am 49 now, and weigh 132 lbs. One of the main reasons for keeping this weight is my diet. Not only do i eat for my physical body (quality/quantity), but i also eat to maintain my subtle body (essence). Since you do Tai Ji and other internal martial arts, it may be an idea to *feed* your subtle body too! When you look after this, your outer physique will follow and align itself in harmony with the subtle one. This is an ancient Chinese belief. I dont think it works the other way round.

Multi-level dieting for multi-level energy development..make sense? Something to ponder about eh?

All the best!

I'd like some tips on healthy eating, Chinese style. I'm a student on a budget right now. Have a Wok, don't know how to use it--and after years in the military am not a very picky eater as long as it isn't liver or beets. YUCK!

I'd like some tips on healthy eating, Chinese style. I'm a student on a budget right now. Have a Wok, don't know how to use it--and after years in the military am not a very picky eater as long as it isn't liver or beets. YUCK!

Aha! First customer! That'll be 10 bux please... just kidding!! :D

hi Prince...

Have you weight issues or just a chinese food 'addict' looking to do it the cheap way? I need to know for obvious reasons. Are there any other considerations besides budget? Do you do any Qi practice? Some info would be helpful... for example, eating habits, lifestyle, drinking habits etc. See if we can get you started somewhere eh?

:)

Aha! First customer! That'll be 10 bux please... just kidding!! :D

hi Prince...

Have you weight issues or just a chinese food 'addict' looking to do it the cheap way? I need to know for obvious reasons. Are there any other considerations besides budget? Do you do any Qi practice? Some info would be helpful... for example, eating habits, lifestyle, drinking habits etc. See if we can get you started somewhere eh?

:)

I don't drink that often. I did have a beer last night with some friends, but I couldn't finish all of it. I actually despise the taste of beer. I'm a seminary student right now (hence being on a budget) study Taiji...I'm missing class tonight because I feel like I'm coming down with something and have a Hebrew quiz in the morning. :( I graduated KAP1 and am taking KAP2, so I do the Qigong from KAP and a Taiji qigong set I learned which is actually in The Dao of Taijiquan by Jou Tsung Hwa.

I'm about 5-7, 190 lbs right now, but I look like I'm 160. I'd like to actually weigh 160 but look like I do right now... hahaha.

" I am a taiji master but I am not ascended or a guru or something like that ... "

Wow, that's quite a claim. Do you consider this guy to be a Taiji master? Are you equiv. to him in form precision, flow and smoothness?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by Tao99

" I am a taiji master but I am not ascended or a guru or something like ... "

Wow, that's quite a claim. Do you consider this guy to be a Taiji master? Are you equiv. to him in form precision, flow and smoothness?

I dont know the dude. Who is he? This is me.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KrJKwNvT8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KrJKwNvT8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KrJKwNvT8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

This is my 13 Original Forms.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlmjsIFPzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlmjsIFPzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlmjsIFPzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Do excess pounds always equate with a lack of mastery?

Wang Shu Jin:

wang01.jpg

B.K. Frantzis:

Ba-Gua-Full-Body-Bruce-Frantzis.jpg

B.K.S. Iyengar:

bks_iyengar_1.jpg

Darin -- considering you're Mason -- here's a new radio interview on Chinese Alchemy from the perspective of Masonry:

http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/2009/.../RIR-091105.php

Holy crap! I heard about this interview but couldn't find a place to download it. Thanks. Incidentally, I have been asked by a local masonic group to give a talk on Taoist alchemy. Its cool when east and west meet.

Listen Darin my grandpa was 33 degree and my mom got initiated but personally I'm against the grand Freemason conspiracy! haha. More than that I go back to 10,000 BCE and take a stand against the "symbolic revolution" documented by Jacques Cauvin. Still Peter Levenda is a pretty awesome dude -- check out his http://sinisterforces.info

Holy crap! I heard about this interview but couldn't find a place to download it. Thanks. Incidentally, I have been asked by a local masonic group to give a talk on Taoist alchemy. Its cool when east and west meet.

I like tubby taiji masters! : ) - They are the prime definition of a healthy person in the modern image of an unhealthy body.

Western medicine has much catching up to do! :D

God, after two weeks....

Darin, you have no right whatsoever to be teaching anything at all whatsoever. It is people like you who have diluted and corrupted the Taoist essence to gross proportions.

That you're fat is indicative of just this. I didnt even see the video, but judging from what I have read from you-- of course your fat. You're completely lacking in character.

go ahead and teach little boys to play with sticks, darin. Just do Taoism a favor and call yourself a catholic before you call yourself a taoist. You can definately play the role of a catholic well enough. good job.

Most people eat with their minds. Judging the quality and quantity by sight and reasoning.

Most of us were taught to finish what's on our plate as children.

Most of us have all of our attention on something other than the food when eating.

it's possible to re-educate ourselves with some initial effort.

Smell the food! and pay attention to the smell and your body reaction to it. There's a good reason that your nose is right above your mouth.

When eating, take small mouthfuls, place the cutlery back down and chew - about 2 to 3 times longer than you're used to doing. Taste the food whilst you chew. Pay attention to the texture. Pay attention to how your body reacts. Most importantly keep evaluating how satisfied you are. When you're 70 - 80% full, stop eating. No matter how good it looks, how little or how much you've eaten, how polite or impolite it would seem.

It's also important to never feel like you're starving. eat when you feel like eating - not when mealtime dictates.

And that's it! Eat whatever your body craves (however healthy/unhealthy your mind considers it). It will take anything from a couple of weeks to a couple of months of doing this with strict precision to re-educate yourself and then it will become automatic and effortless.

Eating like this for a while will bring you to your personal, ideal weight - whatever that may be. Don't measure yourself against others - we all have different constitutions - as long as you're letting your body lead and don't go to extremes, you'll be happy and healthy and your body will reflect that in whatever way is right for you.

Darin, I'd like to know if some of the stuff you say in this video about Reverse Breathing and chi cultivation has changed after having studied with Santiago?

8KrJKwNvT8s

I'd like to know more specifically how you integrated KAP into your Taiji practice. You can respond to me in a PM or we can talk about it on skype sometime if you want. Too bad I am not ready for my rank test, I would have been in Detroit last weekend at our taiji school up there!

Im being totally honest, if a person has a belly its because of diet and or lack of physcial training. Im not saying Darin isnt cultivated but he lacks physcial health its so obvious. If was also very physcially fit and looked after yourself with your chi cultivation bigger bang for your bucks.

Strong body = strong mind = strong chi = strong spirit you have a belly cause your mind is not strong enough to keep your physcially fit therefore one of your elements is out of wack.

Ape

This is not true most real Chi Kung guys have a "buddha" belly. And its IRON HARD when it needs to be.

Also have you noticed that BABIES have the same "belly"?

Show me a baby that has an 8 pack...

Its natural.

You can bring your 6 pak any day of the week I prefer my "Iron Keg"

Darin, I'd like to know if some of the stuff you say in this video about Reverse Breathing and chi cultivation has changed after having studied with Santiago?

8KrJKwNvT8s

I'd like to know more specifically how you integrated KAP into your Taiji practice. You can respond to me in a PM or we can talk about it on skype sometime if you want. Too bad I am not ready for my rank test, I would have been in Detroit last weekend at our taiji school up there!

Darin Hamel is not Darin Samaha.

If you eat moderately (never stuffing yourself), and exercise at least 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time...then tubbiness is either: a qi-belly, disease related, stress related, or genetic. Therefore, you shouldn't be considered a "lard ass" or anything, because at least you're doing your part.

If you don't do those things, then you have an unhealthy lifestyle.

Edit: another thing to consider is that someone may have lumbar lordosis, which can make their lower back curve too much and cause the abdomen to portrude. Another thing is that forceful belly breathing can cause the internal organs to portrude, showing a larger sized abdomen.

Edited by Scotty

This is not true most real Chi Kung guys have a "buddha" belly. And its IRON HARD when it needs to be.

Also have you noticed that BABIES have the same "belly" ?

Its natural.

Another thing is that forceful belly breathing can cause the internal organs to portrude, showing a larger sized abdomen.

So then those myths about some chigung masters getting a belly because of their excercises have truth to them?

Also from these posts I get that having this kind of chi-belly serves a beneficial functional purpose. Could you guys please elaborate on this? Does it allow better chi storage? I know many famous energy masters do have bellies so....

Also in many preindustrial hunter-gatherer societies healthy people would sometimes have somewhat of a belly and some of these same individuals never lost the hair on their head or their vision or teeth even into very old age. Maybe the modern concept of having to be lean and cut in order to be in optimal health is not true?

thanks

Way to go Darin! No ego and a man who knows himself. Don't look back and keep going forward never to get back there again!

Tao Bless Man!

Ape is spot on! I am unbalanced and really unhealthy. Thats nothing to be ashamed of. I am what I am. I sit at a computer at work 8hrs a day. Lately, I have started exercising every half hour real quick at work and I havent had any fast food, sugar or Mountain Dew in a week. I am also keeping a video journal of my weight loss and fitness regimen that nobody will see until I am fit again. Back in 2005 I wore 30 inch waist jeans and ran 5 miles or more a day. Now... not so much.... but soon again.... :lol:

I want to get back into fighting shape again. Getting thrown when your 175 is much different than when your 235! I prefer 175!!! B)

Also have you noticed that BABIES have the same "belly"?

Its natural.

Darin Hamel is not Darin Samaha.

So I guess all those taoists at Wudang that aren't fat must be complete failures, eh.