Pietro

is it only me or the TB has lost its magic?

Sean is def focused elsewhere.

Yep, but not a problem as we seem pretty self sufficient these days, anyhow hope he is having fun.

I left this to the end, because it is the most tricky to answer. Mostly because of my pass I always am a bit in trouble in criticizing the host. Yes the website is taking care of itself, those days. And every discussion group will eventually find its balance, or die in the process. Maybe those 5 years left a sign also on him.

Technically there are plenty of possible solutions that can be applied. But I will not criticize Sean, in a thread that started with me ranting that there is no gusto anymore in the TB. Some discussion board has some rooms just for the older guys. In the PU there are 4 levels. You need to be signed in from 1 month to start posting, then you go to a first room, then to a second. And you only get access to the third after a few years. In short you are left in quarantine. You can read what the guys say, but you cannot comment.

Also there the little level on the left grows according to someone outside. And to the votes that you get.

In the GO world you normally need to tell what is your ranking. Nice and objective.

In the computer world, well those are hackers, and have time to spare to program really cool discussion board. Stackoverflow, is the equivalent to the TB for programming. ANd here you have brownie points, and you collect them by asking questions to which people reply, answering questions that people vote yes, and so on. You write nonsense, and see your points drop. And with the points what you can do changes. You get the power to rank other people after 50 points. To downrank them after 100 (I think). You can edit other people post at x (x=10000?). In short you only get the power to do stuff by the time you have already learned how to use that power.

The problem is that in the west taoism is confused with post modernism. And post modernism always confuses the "everyman is the same" with "everything said by every man is equally valid". In any topic where you have an objective level that procedure is an admitted failure. Here where the objective references are more difficult to find, this procedure is leading to a big confusion.

So there are things that could be done technically, but they require serious programming, and I don't think we could have asked Sean to do it in the old days. Now? Even less.

But maybe a cheap solution is to have a second room to which the only person who have speaking permission are people with 500 posts and 24 months.

What a boring topic :P:D

hehe

Well this forum's become huge! I think that's the main problem... And yes - being able to follow members who's perspectives I find interesting becomes hard, as we need to sift through a lot of other stuff... I remember Sean suggesting a way of 'rating' members and topics or posts, this could be handy or it also could create a thoroughly british class system, would still be worth a try I think...

So what do we want then? We seem quite apt at laying down what we don't like ... let's throw down clear statements of what we do want.

For me ...

I love it when I get involved in topics that challenge me to dig deeper into both my inner inspiration and my knowledge and understanding of Tao.

I love it when folks like SYD post up his translations of Taoist classics.

I love being able to help people along the way ... to point them in a direction the helps them gain insight into their True Nature.

I love learning more about my True Nature and I love it when my interactions with all the good folks here stimulates that learning.

OK who is next? ... What do you want TB's to be like for you?

:D

So what do we want then? We seem quite apt at laying down what we don't like ... let's throw down clear statements of what we do want.

For me ...

I love it when I get involved in topics that challenge me to dig deeper into both my inner inspiration and my knowledge and understanding of Tao.

I love it when folks like SYD post up his translations of Taoist classics.

I love being able to help people along the way ... to point them in a direction the helps them gain insight into their True Nature.

I love learning more about my True Nature and I love it when my interactions with all the good folks here stimulates that learning.

OK who is next? ... What do you want TB's to be like for you?

Hi Stig,

first of all thanks for the FAQ pages

Regarding me, I said it: there are many things, but to start a subsection where people have only access after a certain number of posts and months.

Anything else would require programming time, and I will get involved in thinking it only if we have some sign from Sean that he is interested in letting the changes happen.

Regarding me, I said it: there are many things, but to start a subsection where people have only access after a certain number of posts and months..

The problem with this is that people who turn up here with a lot to offer immediately, like Santiago and Ya Mu and 5elTao will drift away in boredom trying to serve two years with people who know everything and have no experience....

....unless there are special passes given to those of Great Merit, to allow them Through The Gate to the Inner Sanctum.

I could give the passes out, and have a crown and a nice throne, and everything.

But maybe a cheap solution is to have a second room to which the only person who have speaking permission are people with 500 posts and 24 months.

Wow

4 1/2 years and only 300 posts. In consideration that your suggestion is taken up I need to post 200 more times.

OK 199.

TTB is ruled by chaos and disorder.

Who will try to wrestle it into a box properly sorted and contained?

I don't know what I want TTB to be.

Who can say?

But by all means please keep trying to sort it out.

Craig

The problem with this is that people who turn up here with a lot to offer immediately, like Santiago and Ya Mu and 5elTao will drift away in boredom trying to serve two years with people who know everything and have no experience....

....unless there are special passes given to those of Great Merit, to allow them Through The Gate to the Inner Sanctum.

I could give the passes out, and have a crown and a nice throne, and everything.

Assuming all this make sense, and we can convince Sean to make such a system...

Agreed... up to a point.

Some people know a lot about taoism, but not enough about how to behave on the net. And they get all pissed off if someone "stole" "their" thread. It's not just about knowing stuff. But knowing what goes around in here, and similar. I don't know how to get those people up to speed in time before they get pissed off.

Having everybody voting everybody, is a bit of a problem. As you can have subgroups starting to vote each other (like us ;-) ). There are plenty of literature out there on this problem. I think the key words is "trust system". I heard alot of people speaking about it, but no system that actually works.

Cat, can you make a bit your interpretation of RJ.

I am missing it ;-)

"Be the change you wish to see in the (bums)."

If things are boring, spice it up.

The way I see it, this is the responsibility of the long term members. If you guys want to keep it the way you like it, then set the standard.

Actually, it's my fault.

This place has definitely gone downhill since I joined.

I'm really sorry guys - it happens to every forum I join...

:P

PS There was a time when I really had a fire in my belly that I had to share with everybody. Now I don't really know that I have all that much to say most of the time but I still stop by, read the stuff that interests me, and occasionally add a post when I think I can help somebody or have something worthwhile to add. I still like the place and there a few people on the forum that I think are very special.

DA BUMBS NEED TA STOP FINGERING DER ASSES!!

ALL DEY DO IS FINGER ASS ALL DAY TAO IS NOT ABOUT ASS FINGERING ALONE!!! ITS ABOUT SOLA CHARGIN YER ASS SO YA CANT PONTYFICATE ALL OVER DA THREADS AN SHUOT ABOUT DEM BEING STOLE WHAT ABOUT DA CHEMTRAILS WHO STOLE THE FKUCIN CHEMTRAILS MORE LIKE XENOPHOBIC ASOLES971.jpg

DA BUMBS NEED TA STOP FINGERING DER ASSES!!

ALL DEY DO IS FINGER ASS ALL DAY TAO IS NOT ABOUT ASS FINGERING ALONE!!! ITS ABOUT SOLA CHARGIN YER ASS SO YA CANT PONTYFICATE ALL OVER DA THREADS AN SHUOT ABOUT DEM BEING STOLE WHAT ABOUT DA CHEMTRAILS WHO STOLE THE FKUCIN CHEMTRAILS MORE LIKE XENOPHOBIC ASOLES971.jpg

Ohh, finally the good ol'days.

Nice Bum by the way!

I can think of two things that are happening. First off, the new Kunlun board siphoned off a few of the old time regulars. Secondly, we have a number of new folks who are just finding their way around here.

Nice to hear from Freeform, and Cat that was priceless!

Haven't most of us drifted away and back again as our lives offer less time &/or new directions?

The huge influx of new people should be an awakening - even as old questions and subjects are re-asked - any actual wisdom found here seems to be offered with open hearted trust in the nature of those who seek ( be it understanding of the Tao- or its many off-shoots here)...

The questions don't need to be answered... But, the seeking needs to be continued. Just because that is the nature of those of us who do the asking & seeking...

We want our minds opened and expanded; & our spirits enabled to share with others who seek the spiritual linkage this scene offers to all and any!

If this site isn't tendering the juice ya need - then you should give it a rest or seek else-where...

But Pietro -as you have been a source of much needed insight and humor and good will - that would be a great loss for us who remain-

That Sean has gone missing for now... is something I've noticed as well - but I assume there is need for his amazing energy elsewhere...That RJ is still able to twist our noses -(thanks cat) - allows (me at least) to gain perspective and insight on the real growth that has been offered here for so many...

We can still laugh at our foibles and the folly that is just us being humans... it remains a great place just to visit with kindred-spirits for me... No answers required! B):D

These things ebb & flow. I think the setup is fine.

Or a very big reference wiki site thing could be built...

alchemicaltaoism.com - My version of that, obviously.

queen_cat.jpg

I quite fancy being able to click ignore on an entire thread, and thereby have it not come up, for me, in the list of threads. Thus ending up with a front page of stuff I'm into and new stuff only. Is that feasible, geeky ones?

How about a "WTF section" for things into which knowledgeable folks can put things they deign WTF?

Otherwise just keep up some high practice/ theory threads - Scott's on enlightenment was a great one but it didn't seem to get a lot of traction WHICH IS VERY WEIRD. Edit - That thread actually DOES HAVE TRACTION

Don't we want people to go there? I'm no bodhisattva but I am surprised and a bit disappointed at the 'take what you can get and run' kind of attitude I'm perceiving.

I DO like Trunk's site. Some very good and coherent stuff there but the good man himself seems mostly to spend time here so that's where I hang.

Yoda is like sunshine on a stick. And one of the few folks on the door welcoming people. As is Stig.

I love Cat, Meow, Shon, Rain and other women posters(the feline thing is interesting) that don't seem to have a lot of presence in other venues. Had you not already noticed, I'm a woman and all the talk of retaining jing until my balls get sore isn't relevant but nevertheless interesting;-) I want more things related to female practices.

Var is an all round nice dude.

Mal is hot right now and we don't know why but suspect it's his current practice;-)

Scott is also hot right now and I suspect nothing;-)

GIH reminds me of one of those student communist intellectuals but he is a smart guy.

Todd is a frequent poster on my forum and I enjoy our discussions.

I come here for the people mainly. No matter if the ancients decide they can't get anything more out of it.

- edited for remarks about TRACTION and Scott

Edited by Kate

Kate,

Scott's on enlightenment was a great one but it didn't seem to get a lot of traction WHICH IS VERY WEIRD. Don't we want people to go there? I'm no bodhisattva but I am surprised and a bit disappointed at the 'take what you can get and run' kind of attitude I'm perceiving.

I think it's my own fault...I didn't leave it open enough, and the discussion is pretty dense. I would skip over something like that if I wasn't involved in it personally. :lol: Boooooorrriinngg. Congrats to those who have posted in there!

I DO like Trunk's site. Some very good and coherent stuff there but the good man himself seems mostly to spend time here so that's where I hang.

His site is awesome!

Edit: I saw that you edited your post to say that it does have traction...I'm not totally sure what traction means, but whatever. :lol:

Edited by Scotty

The typical means of communicating on this forum is through the written word which requires articualtion from the writer and understanding, comprehension from the reader. This is just to understand the information conveyed, even then, there's no guarantee that there will be an actual understanding or agreement of what's being said. Even good intentions aren't always easy to convey at first.

Add to that some who just love to argue (particularly in the past 12 months), and that can make this place seem as if there is some magic lost.

There was a time when I really had a fire in my belly that I had to share with everybody. Now I don't really know that I have all that much to say most of the time .

Isn't it strange that the deeper we look, often the less we have to say? Often I initially want to say something, bu then the more I formualte the words to write, the more I see that what's trying to be said is very difficult to write. :unsure: So, I'm still finding it difficult to ever post anything that actualy conveys what I'm wanting to say. Maybe that's because it can't be said? I dunno

I still like the place and there a few people on the forum that I think are very special

Yes. I feel that occaisionally there are deep understandings gained on this forum which serve the purpose of greater peace and harmony. Some people always add valuable, thoughtful contributions, ones that don't fly off the cuff, but actually have insight/sincerity/clever humour behing them.

They're the ones that bring me back to check out this forum.

Edited by mat black

Magic is a thing in the past

YOU LIVE IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION OF SUPERSTRING PARTICLES

magic is undiscovered science B)

(Everything I say is a lie untill proven true)

Edited by Eviander