Gerard

Enlightened movies

Recommended Posts

 

Edited by Feral
The Leftovers is maybe the best thing I've seen on film.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High Plains Drifter (1973)

 

Existentialism, ghost story, western horror or gothic, with obvious connections to the book of Hebrews, Isaiah, Paradise Lost. hints to supernatural. 

There is unflinching ugliness that examines morality of conscience. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a movie and not enlightened but...

 

Just finished Rectify, a beautiful, intelligent, and compelling drama about a man and his family facing his reintegration after spending 19 years on death row.

 

It’s slow at times, a bit overly melodramatic, but also very emotionally charged and poetic. Highly recommended.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, ralis said:

We just finished watching season 1 of 'The OA' on Netflix. Thought provoking, challenging and intriguing.

 

 

 

I loved this series.  Another one of the rare ones that I worked on and enjoyed watching.  My crew built the second season.

One of the better concept tv series.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lost Room

 

A one off story told in six episodes.  Really imaginitive.  I expected to dismiss it, but was absorbed.

A very clever concept piece.

 

A detective finds a key at a crime scene, which opens a door to a room in between dimensions.

The Lost Room. 

 

From this room, using that key, one can enter any other door on the planet.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, steve said:

Not a movie and not enlightened but...

 

Just finished Rectify, a beautiful, intelligent, and compelling drama about a man and his family facing his reintegration after spending 19 years on death row.

 

It’s slow at times, a bit overly melodramatic, but also very emotionally charged and poetic. Highly recommended.

Just finished watching it. Very poignant and thought provoking. 
 

My personal favorite and multi-faceted show - Battlestar Galactica (reboot version). I’d even venture to say it is “enlightened” (at a certain level). It works at different layers, with great action and drama, it portrays many different schisms in a very beautiful manner.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dwai said:


 

My personal favorite and multi-faceted show - Battlestar Galactica (reboot version). I’d even venture to say it is “enlightened” (at a certain level). It works at different layers, with great action and drama, it portrays many different schisms in a very beautiful manner.

 

One of my favorites too.  "It all happened before, and it will all happen again..." -- I just found out that it's actually a quote from Marcus Aurelius's Meditations (another favorite) -- here's the complete version:

"To bear in mind constantly that all of this has happened before. And will happen again—the same plot from beginning to end, the identical staging."

 

Also it had the best opening lines of all time! 

"Are you alive?"

"Yes..." 

"Prove it."

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

 

One of my favorites too.  "It all happened before, and it will all happen again..." -- I just found out that it's actually a quote from Marcus Aurelius's Meditations (another favorite) -- here's the complete version:

"To bear in mind constantly that all of this has happened before. And will happen again—the same plot from beginning to end, the identical staging."

 

Also it had the best opening lines of all time! 

"Are you alive?"

"Yes..." 

"Prove it."

I very reluctantly turned this on after weeks of constant and endless badgering of a partner at work.

 

I was utterly surprised at the depth and breadth of a television script, that deftly wove a narrative that addressed religious thinking and effects on society, notions of consciousness and the nature of human non-human life, entrenched hardline politics and the ramifications of whole sale technology worship... not to mention the foggy/nebulous/fluid definitions of terrorism vs anti-authoritarian freedom movements...

 

May have to revisit this again.  Will undoubtedly be more details revealed in another run through...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I very reluctantly turned this on after weeks of constant and endless badgering of a partner at work.

 

I was utterly surprised at the depth and breadth of a television script, that deftly wove a narrative that addressed religious thinking and effects on society, notions of consciousness and the nature of human non-human life, entrenched hardline politics and the ramifications of whole sale technology worship... not to mention the foggy/nebulous/fluid definitions of terrorism vs anti-authoritarian freedom movements...

spot on! 

9 hours ago, silent thunder said:

May have to revisit this again.  Will undoubtedly be more details revealed in another run through...

It only gets better — I must’ve watched the show 4-5 times at least over the past couple of decades. The ingenuity of it all never ceases to amaze me.

 

Also watch the prequel (done after BSG) called Caprica. That too is an awesome show. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Taomeow said:

 

One of my favorites too.  "It all happened before, and it will all happen again..." -- I just found out that it's actually a quote from Marcus Aurelius's Meditations (another favorite) -- here's the complete version:

"To bear in mind constantly that all of this has happened before. And will happen again—the same plot from beginning to end, the identical staging."

 

Also it had the best opening lines of all time! 

"Are you alive?"

"Yes..." 

"Prove it."

 I didn’t know that line was from Marcus Aurelius’ meditation. Thx for sharing :) 


“all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again”...

 

The amazing thing about the show is how deep it went, from its start as a post-apocalyptic space opera to a pensive, deeply thought provoking meditation on human nature, society and religion. 
 

And then I realized I just repeated Creighton’s statement almost to the tee from the previous comment 😁

 

 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on a sincerely deep and ever growing appreciation and hero worship of Marcus Aurelius lately...

 

Hard to imagine a leader of such introspection and wisdom...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2020 at 2:06 PM, dwai said:

The amazing thing about the show is how deep it went, from its start as a post-apocalyptic space opera to a pensive, deeply thought provoking meditation on human nature, society and religion. 

 

The ending hit me like a bus. I had no idea that was coming. The whole thing is one of the most underrated TV shows ever imo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2001 A Space Odyssey is thought provoking, esoteric and has subtle overtones of dark humour.

 

K Pac is also a film with depth and complex twists. They are walking amongst us?!

 

I agree with Silent Thunder about the series OA. It is thought provoking as to the nature of consciousness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gentlewind said:

2001 A Space Odyssey is thought provoking, esoteric and has subtle overtones of dark humour.

 

K Pac is also a film with depth and complex twists. They are walking amongst us?!

 

I agree with Silent Thunder about the series OA. It is thought provoking as to the nature of consciousness. 

Always love it when life brings @gentlewind our way!

Nice to see you Brother!

 

Speaking of 2001...  This Monolith someone installed in a remote valley in Red Rock County Utah is a fun bit of news.

Park services found it while surveying Bighorn Sheep.


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Always love it when life brings @gentlewind our way!

Nice to see you Brother!

 

Speaking of 2001...  This Monolith someone installed in a remote valley in Red Rock County Utah is a fun bit of news.

Park services found it while surveying Bighorn Sheep.


 

Greetings Silent Thunder,

many thanks for your kind words - Mother Earth needs our kindness and not our cruelty. 

 

I was testing Jonathon Livingstone Seagull......he has a film by the same name on You Tube!

 

K Pac really intrigued me. Shame about the creep who played the alien. Jeff  Bridges was magnificent.

 

Anyone seen the film Dreamcatcher? Worth a watch!!!

 

Stay safe!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 10:15 PM, gentlewind said:

Mother Earth needs our kindness and not our cruelty. 

 

Actually Mother Earth does not give a xxxx about us. Mother Earth  just changes and we cannot adopt in these huge numbers.

give or take a million will survive the 5 to 10 degrees we heat up out planet. To save a few a few billions have to die.

 

Good movie is Brazil from 1985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2020 at 11:36 PM, carlos248 said:

 

Actually Mother Earth does not give a xxxx about us. Mother Earth  just changes and we cannot adopt in these huge numbers.

give or take a million will survive the 5 to 10 degrees we heat up out planet. To save a few a few billions have to die.

 

Good movie is Brazil from 1985

 

it is Man who cares not about Mother Earth.

 

From the book 'Catching The Thread' by Llewellyn Vaughn Lee; From Mother Earth are born all living creatures, and with her body she feeds them. They drink from her streams and eats the food she provides. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gentlewind said:

t is Man who cares not about Mother Earth.

true that.

But mother earth does not car much either. We are one product of  a long line in products who survived a few 1000 years, around 30 or so. Some animals/insects/fish even plants have a longer history here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching old black and white episodes of Lone Wolf & Cub and ZatoIchi on Youtube, old classic Japanese series revisited from my Aikido days.  Showing a code and honor and skill level, that may or may not have ever existed.

 

Also w/ HBO Max has Gibli studio.  Re-watched the excellent Spirited Away, and just finished Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind for the first time.  Another Miyazaki that was excellent for its un-Americanly Pacifistic heroines.  Bravely finding solutions without violence.  Subservient, sacrificing and finding a way. 

 

Speaking of which just saw Wonder Woman 1984.  Didn't like it, though I enjoyed the first one.  Wish this could have had a Miyazaki touch to it.  He was a genius. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I've been watching old black and white episodes of Lone Wolf & Cub and ZatoIchi on Youtube, old classic Japanese series 

 

Also w/ HBO Max has Gibli studio.  Re-watched the excellent Spirited Away, and just finished Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind for the first time.  

Now that's entertainment!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have easy access to Hulu but not to a national forest?  If so you might be interested in the series Vacation In Place.  No people, no music, no drama of any kind.  Just someone walking slowly along a path in a beautiful natural setting with a camera.  My partner and I enjoyed watching together.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watched “the legend of Baggervance”? I found it to be a very familiar and inspiring movie when I first saw it, and later on discovered why...It uses “Golf” to present the Bhagavad Gita to the audience! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites