This is a neo-western, not an enlightened movie … (hmmm… maybe I should change the title or tag/s of this thread) … anyway,

”Hell or High Water” movie 2016, Jeff Bridges, Netflix.  Watching it for the 3rd or 4th time now.  It keeps revealing itself.

No clip does this movie justice.  The trailer ruins it, portrays it totally wrong.  The superficial plot is common: brothers go on a crime spree.  The clips on youtube are over-actionalized  ...

HOWEVER, omg!  This is a slow painting of a poor region of modern Texas; it’s a regional essay that reveals itself, colors, step by step.  The dialog comes off as natural, but is beautifully and thoughtfully written.  Every seemingly casual incident adds, The characters have depth, the character arcs vary, are of interest, and reveal themselves slowly.  (vs, say, “Thor”, where we know the full character from the poster). The relationships are meaningful in themselves as well as figures to inhabit, colorize … maybe the main character, that local culture and time.

The craft of this whole movie… just really wow well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

A wonderful and very meaningful Irish film by Martin McDonagh about lost friendship and the ensuing war, which in this case is a small reflection of larger scale war and one that is taking place in Ireland; the inability to change and let go. The film has a splendid cast of supporting characters all of them somewhat involved in the feud between the two friends.

Cinematography and acting is exceptional, at times it feels like a stage play set in a fictitious island off the coast of Ireland.

A highly recommended watch.

• Like 2

I was just coming here to post this film. Watched it last night, quite dark and absolutely brilliant! 

Now I need to watch In Bruges.

4 hours ago, steve said:

Now I need to watch In Bruges.

You HAVEN’T WATCHEDIN BRUGES”!!????!!!!!

oh, god, one of my favorite films!

In Bruges

The Graduate

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

… but I didn’t come here for that!  :angry:

Here’s Jerry Seinfeld talking about TM, long interview.  Pretty cool.

• Like 1

Just watched Stutz, one of the few films mentioned in this thread that speaks to me about enlightenment.

Although trigger alert! it talks a little about visualization!

🤣

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve said:

Just watched Stutz, one of the few films mentioned in this thread that speaks to me about enlightenment.

Although trigger alert! it talks a little about visualization!

🤣

I have Stutz's two books on 'the tools" on Kindle.  The books go into detail about how to use some of the tools which, yes, are all based on visualization!  I've tried using the tools in my life with mixed success.  Sometimes they really seem to work, sometimes not.  Stutz says that they take practice before a person really gets it and the challenge is to keep at it and not give up.  I've found that to be true.  The various tools are described here: Explore All Tools — THE TOOLS (thetoolsbook.com)

• Like 2

I’ve been watching “The Hustler”, 1961 black & white starring Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, more…

The cinemetography, the writing, the music, the editing, … I’m about 2/3rds of the way through and have to stop because THIS IS A CLASSIC, omg this unusual and so well done.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, Trunk said:

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

So, I’m finishing this one now (I’ve seen it before, also).

This move really clinches Jim Carrey, in my eyes, as an actor (not just a great comedian who kinda acts).

The script is inventive and timeless.

• Like 2

Preston Nichols, author of The Montauk Project: Experiments in Time (1992), fueled conspiracy theories about Camp Hero when he wrote about supposed time travel and kidnapped children who endured mind-altering experiments during the Cold War. But even if Nichols’ book is wrong, something unsettling does appear to have unfolded at the now-abandoned base. So what’s fact and what’s fiction? Here are five things you should know about the stranger-than-life Camp Hero and the Montauk Project conspiracy theory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2023 at 6:29 PM, Trunk said:

British comedy on Amazon prime.

Lovely clever.

By Terry Pratchett. I watched it years ago. It's really good. Although I wouldn't put it in the spiritual-enlightenment-themed TV category unless you want to put everything in there.

Thanks for the mention, though, because it seems like the second season might be released shortly before my Prime free trial expires, and maybe it will be included.

(P.S.: Amazon Prime is a messy/sloppy service in more ways than I can be bothered to list. Kinda like Amazon itself. Definitely not convincing to pay money for that.)

UPDATE: Ugh, kinda predictable, since the second season is no longer based on Pterry's works, it is overall not quite on the same level, and while the storytelling is mostly OK, it is also written 'for modern audiences, to reflect the times we live in', if you get the hint. I mean, really shoehorned.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:41 PM, silent thunder said:

A stunning work of cinematic and allegorical art.

I went to the cinema to watch this one.

It has a very different vibe about it. The felt tension was thick enough to cut with a knife, sword, battle axe, and beyond. I watched  it alone.

The previous time I went to the cinema was for the 30th anniversary of Labyrinth. I went with a handful of college kids for that one. And a coed was asked if she had dressed fine like she did for me (lol) of course not, she fixed herself up for the Goblin King. Shows how rarely I venture into a cinema.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

To add something more for the heart than the mind, really powerful, Enchanted seems truly magical, not just in theme, but meta, especially in these mentally challenged times. It has that MLP:FiM vibe, but with much less entry ugh hurdle, or let's say, you can accept the movie's intro as thematically amusing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461770

The movie seems as much outside of our times as it seems outside of our world, yet it connects it all.

It is like an unrecognized documentary of what could be, from a time when Disney was still Disallofmyyes.

Don't watch a trailer. Just dive right in and open your heart.

Of course there is also much spiritual teaching to be pondered. But feel free to be too distracted. :D

Edited by Owledge

On 8/31/2023 at 6:52 AM, Dedicated said:

Forbidden Kingdom 

There's at least 3 movies with that name, can you be more specific?

• Thanks 1