FixXxer1846

My first full lotus experiences

I'm curious - does it matter what foot ends up on top in the full lotus position? I've seen pictures of some having the right foot on top and others the left.

I'm curious - does it matter what foot ends up on top in the full lotus position? I've seen pictures of some having the right foot on top and others the left.

I've always seen left leg goes first and then right on top.....but if the channels open totally then it probably shouldn't matter....

I've never tried it the other way and have never noticed anyone do it the other way.... don't know why.

I've always made a point to stretch both sides equally and try to spend equal amounts of time on both sides so as not to make uneven progress from a tendon-joint standpoint.

I've always made a point to stretch both sides equally and try to spend equal amounts of time on both sides so as not to make uneven progress from a tendon-joint standpoint.

Yes, you need to be able to do it either way from this standpoint, but when actually sitting in meditation, you may want to either keep it gender specific (I sit the opposite way of Drew) or switch to the opposite-gender way if you aim to diminish your gender-specific characteristics and strengthen those of the opposite one. Which may come up if a girly girl wants to gain more yang to face the world with more courage, or a macho man, some deeper sensitivity and discernment -- intuitive, subtle, yin abilities.

Drew, what did he recommend as a lower dantien method?

Also, I was reading your blog and you need to move out of your parent's house!

Yeah I stopped doing the pineal gland transmissions for the first time since 2007!!! So it's like I'm a completely different person now. haha. Since I'm still storing up my energy that I still get perv attacked by my mom though as she's a perv. haha. It's kind of sad but I wonder if she just can't help it. So she make these perv breathing noises when she comes near me and she gets overcome by lust and she then uses her lower chakra electromagnetic consciousness to suck off my jing energy.

Drew, what did he recommend as a lower dantien method?

Also, I was reading your blog and you need to move out of your parent's house!

haha. Leaving the house won't help. When I lived in the city the pervs were all over the place! haha.

Seriously though the lower tan tien breathing is the correct method for dealing with pervs. I mean it's what pervs do to other people so it's best to do it back as self-protection. The big difference is the perv has their electromagnetic essence stuck in their lower chakra whereas the yogi is focused on sublimation and purification -- ionization.

For the lower dantien method I recommend studying the book "Taoist Yoga" -- I never tire of this book.

Chunyi Lin sat in full lotus for seven weeks non-stop -- taking no water, no sleep and no food.

So, again, full lotus at this point is more holographic -- he said the cave had light shooting out of it and then he traveled up into heaven.....but it's still powered by the full lotus....

Anyway even though we might lose energy to pervs it's not nearly as bad as when I was flexing the pineal gland because then I wasn't storing up any energy at all -- so I was relying on taking in the bad jing energy as compensation. This was an intense way to practice but limited the energy levels to just minor chi transmission -- too weak as Chunyi Lin said.

Instead by storing up the chi then it creates a wall of protection....

So if there needs to be any sublimation of the lower tan tien -- any more burning off - then more full lotus is the best method in my opinion -- speaking from experience.

Taoist Yoga says various things -- the "quick fire" method of rapid reverse breathing and the special mudra we discussed above to counteract the perv attacks -- and mainly the "small universe" to sublimate and purify. But the basic method is to put the heart spirit energy underneath the water generative fluid energy, thereby creating fire and then moving the cauldron up through the small universe.

I have to keep studying "Taoist Yoga" haha.

• Like 1

Seriously though the lower tan tien breathing is the correct method for dealing with pervs. I mean it's what pervs do to other people so it's best to do it back as self-protection.

Good point! I do like that method, and it is great protection.

Taoist Yoga is a sweeeeeet book. There are other really good ones. Eva Wong's "Tao of Health, Longevity and Immortality" is one.

I second that

Fire kindled by breathing transforms the generative fluid derived from the digestion of food, into generative force [jing]. Fire derived from spirit [light in the heart] transforms the generative force [jing] into vitality [electromagnetic chi]. Fire derived from (prenatal) vitality [Chi within the jing] purifies the breathing and contributes to the manifestation of spirit [holographic laser light]. Spiritual fire sublimates spirit which will return to the state of nothingness. Thus from start to finish the successful practice of immortality is by fire.

p. 46 Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality.

Edited by fulllotus
  • Like 1

How do you all deal with having your legs slide during the full lotus? Do any of you use a pillow or cushion to elevate your hips? I've found it much easier to sit in the full lotus this way.

• Like 1

How do you all deal with having your legs slide during the full lotus? Do any of you use a pillow or cushion to elevate your hips? I've found it much easier to sit in the full lotus this way.

Yeah that's been recommended -- especially from the Zen community. Of course a meditation pillow is nice for when meditating on the floor also. My knees will stretch out to be flatter as I do the practice more. Chunyi Lin says how we can sit in the full lotus "more severe" if we want to for stronger results -- but that it's adjustable. Jim Nance says not to force the full lotus. haha.

Hi mantis.

I also had this problem, and what worked for me was getting my ankles more squarely on the thighs, so the feet are locked in place, rather than on the edge of the thighs, where they tend to slip off. This does require more flexibility though.

--

I had decided that padmasana was more trouble than it was worth for meditation purposes, but this thread has prompted me to give it another shot. It certainly has its benefits, but it seems to me that no posture can really be the engine powering a high level practice. At best it can be a supercharger. At worst, it can be a distraction preventing you from getting any actual cultivation done at all.

Edited by Creation

Hi mantis.

I also had this problem, and what worked for me was getting my ankles more squarely on the thighs, so the feet are locked in place, rather than on the edge of the thighs, where they tend to slip off. This does require more flexibility though.

--

I had decided that padmasana was more trouble than it was worth for meditation purposes, but this thread has prompted me to give it another shot. It certainly has its benefits, but it seems to me that no posture can really be the engine powering a high level practice. At best it can be a supercharger. At worst, it can be a distraction preventing you from getting any actual cultivation done at all.

Well I rely on the full lotus to counteract the perv attacks. So if someone has the intention to suck me off - -and I get this everyday pretty much -- then the full lotus will burn the sex fluid back into blissful heat and then that still has to be converted into qi energy for safe storage.

Like I said since 2007 I've been burning off my sex fluid into chi energy but I haven't been storing it -- instead I just transmit it back into the pervs and what not. I can then sublimate the females' energy through multiple mutual climaxes to open up their heart chakras -- the male pervs I just ignore as lost causes. Sorry but if a male has a lower chakra blockage with their secret intention to suck off other people's sex energy so the male can ejaculate -- my experience is that is a deep blockage most likely from some childhood trauma or something. I can mitigate the damage but my energy right now isn't strong enough to undo the blockage.

Anyway I'm not sure what qualifies as cultivation but from the book "Taoist Yoga" I know that it means being celibate -- not losing the alchemical pill as semen -- and also buring off or purifying the sex fluids back into generative force and then into vitality -- chi energy and then into spirit light. The great misconception is that meditation can be successful by relying on the mind primarily without sublimating and transforming the sex energy -- so only the full lotus has worked for me in this regard to reverse the damage of the perv attacks.

The pressure on the thighs burns off the sex fluid along with reverse breathing. So now I just make sure not to flex my pineal gland so I can store up the energy instead of just transforming it and transmitting it out into people around me. That way the qi energy will get stronger for more effective healing -- instead of just giving people orgasms. haha.

• Like 1

Hi mantis.

--

I'm the most flexible person I know, much more flexible than all the women in my family (women are notorious for being much more flexible than us men) and yet I still have trouble getting in the full lotus and even more trouble staying in it. I stretch 3x a week with a special emphasis on my hip flexors/groin/hip area, it's incredible really.

This is just one of those things that Asian people tend to have over us. My Vietnamese coworker who is 50 and smokes can get into a perfect full lotus with no visible effort and he doesn't stretch or engage in any form of exercise.

I'm the most flexible person I know, much more flexible than all the women in my family (women are notorious for being much more flexible than us men) and yet I still have trouble getting in the full lotus and even more trouble staying in it. I stretch 3x a week with a special emphasis on my hip flexors/groin/hip area, it's incredible really.

This is just one of those things that Asian people tend to have over us. My Vietnamese coworker who is 50 and smokes can get into a perfect full lotus with no visible effort and he doesn't stretch or engage in any form of exercise.

Yeah I had someone PM me about getting into the full lotus - - and I said that the secret is to create electromagnetic fields and that they should get the "small universe" practice c.d. from http://springforestqigong.com and then study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality." haha.

My good friend who took http://springforestqigong.com said he couldn't get into full lotus because he was the "wrong body type." But the real reason is because the females kept chasing him and he was too busy spreading his wild oats. haha.

First off, WELCOME BACK TAO BUM HERO DREW!!! This place hasn't been the same without you! B)

Thing is, full lotus should NOT be underestimated. It's a very difficult pose to reach and meditate in comfortably that requires a lot of physical preparation to attain!

And unless you are naturally flexible or young, this can easily take several years to progressively stretch your kua out sufficiently.

Like, I have been stretching daily for 2 years now and am still only meditating in half-lotus...

If you can master these 2 poses (tortoise & pigeon), I'm guessing you will probably be able to sit deeply in full-lotus comfortably. (Although I can't say for sure now since I'm not there myself yet.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDnlBdA49o

BTW, if your feet are slipping off, you are still wayyy too tight and they are also not up high enough on your thighs near your waist. There's really no point in even trying to meditate in full-lotus unless you can at least first perform the 2 "prerequisite" stretches above adequately..

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

First off, WELCOME BACK TAO BUM HERO DREW!!! This place hasn't been the same without you! B)

Thing is, full lotus should NOT be underestimated. It's a very difficult pose to reach and meditate in comfortably that requires a lot of physical preparation to attain!

And unless you are naturally flexible or young, this can easily take several years to progressively stretch your kua out sufficiently.

Like, I have been stretching daily for 2 years now and am still only meditating in half-lotus...

If you can master these 2 poses (tortoise & pigeon), I'm guessing you will probably be able to sit deeply in full-lotus comfortably. (Although I can't say for sure now since I'm not there myself yet.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDnlBdA49o

BTW, if your feet are slipping off, you are still wayyy too tight and they are also not up high enough on your thighs near your waist. There's really no point in even trying to meditate in full-lotus unless you can at least first perform the 2 "prerequisite" stretches above adequately..

People always give "other" poses to do to get into full lotus and I don't even consider them because most likely I can't do them! haha. I'm not interested because full lotus works for me to sublimate the sex energy -- period! haha.

That's why I use it. As for how I got into it -- all I can say is remember soccer practice? Remember putting your foot up on your thigh and stretching? I don't know -- we used to have to run until we tasted blood and then do stretching. So I suppose that helped although I stopped my 10th year of school and instead switched to hard core music all the time -- classical, jazz, rock, folk blues, choir, reggae, etc.

O.K. so I still stick with the "small universe" as the secret to get into full lotus -- make electromagnetic fields and guess what -- you'll discover suppleness you never knew existed. Of course if people want to try all sorts of other types of stretches -- that I still can't do! haha. By all means.

http://www.qigongmaster.com/events/2011/11/04/pyramid-meditation-in-dallas-texas/index.php

Edited by fulllotus

p. 46 Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality.

You know i finally realized what drew means by perv attack. In standard terms i would call it the negative vitality of people and their attraction to the lower chakras. Hope that helps

the po spirits of other people want to eat cultivators, huhahahahaha! (Evil laughter)

Yeah I had someone PM me about getting into the full lotus - - and I said that the secret is to create electromagnetic fields and that they should get the "small universe" practice c.d. from http://springforestqigong.com and then study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality." haha.

My good friend who took http://springforestqigong.com said he couldn't get into full lotus because he was the "wrong body type." But the real reason is because the females kept chasing him and he was too busy spreading his wild oats. haha.

I just now realized that SFQ appears to be headquartered out of Eden Prairie, MN. I used to live in the Twin Cities! Maybe I can stop by to check it out next time I'm visiting my folks in MN.

If only such opportunities were available in Houston. There is that Shaolin Temple, but I expect there's going to be some heavy Buddhism coming with any training from there, and I just don't think Buddhism is my bag of tea.

Yeah, I like a cushion. Lotus is easier when you lean forward a bit - or sit on a cushion. Eventually you could push yourself to be just as comfortable without. But I guess it's not necessary.

Seriously dude, EM fields to get into full lotus? Fill that tan tien, Drew. Come down to Earth a bit. ;) Maybe that helps with stopping the pain when you're sitting into that a long time, but otherwise... just stretch daily.

Eddie Bravo on flexibility and WORK ETHIC

1:50 - a stretch I do to warm up to full lotus.

2:33 - Lotus stretch

3:54 - Goes into lotus without using his hands while standing on his head.

Bravo brings up a good point here. Most guys cry and moin for 3 years before getting into a specific position. But a college football guy, who stretches 30 minutes a day, does it better within 2 months. Work ethic.

Initially I had a lot of pain on the outside of my upper legs and in my knees (you should focus on stretching the muscles surrounding the hip! Not the ligaments of the knee!). That largely went away after a few days and I began to feel the upper most portion of my quadriceps. If I sit in lotus for a while I still need to take a brake for a day or 2, probably because the microtears need to be repeared (otherwise it keeps hurting). But things go easier all the time. It's quite a painful experience though.

I have no doubt body type plays a role. I did quite a bit of fitness without that much stretching over the years, so I got stiffer. However, I still have long, relatively thin legs and little fat around my hips/thighs... so with quite a bit of warming up and pain I was able to fold myself into full lotus. But no way taht everyone with short, thick legs can do that without practice.

Update:

As for those two stretches of Vortex. I just tried them. I'm stretching different muscles with those two than with the full lotus. In full lotus I now primarily feel the top portion of the quadriceps - not my ass muscles (hip/leg extensors) or the adductors on the inside of my leg. That is because when you fold your heel onto your other thigh and start pressing the folded leg down, you specifically stretch out that tiny portion of your quadriceps.

Sit on your knees and lean back and you'll stretch the middle portion of your quadriceps.

So when one is attempting to sit in full lotus - unless you are VERY stiff in every aspect - practice the full lotus or try to get as close into it as possible.

Edited by FixXxer1845
  • Like 2

I completely agree with this. I recall one time after a long session of dynamic Qi Gong, i sat down and got into lotus like my legs were wet noodles. I literally stood there for minutes *blinking in wonder, trying to figure out how this is possible without me having stretched or anything. My muscles and tendons were cold as icicles, but because i was so charged up i got right into the lotus and didn't experience any pain.

I tried the same thing the next day without doing any Qi Gong and i nearly half broke my ass.

There is something about circulating energy through the limbs first that really affects the constitution of the tendons and muscles, bringing them in my opinion to a state of flexibility similar to that induced by a thorough rise in body temperature from a conventional warm-up.

Maybe try a few sets of Yi Jin Jing, before you try popping into the lotus.

Edited by effilang
  • Like 2