everseeking

Microcosmic Orbit

Hello all. I just read something about running the MCO. It describes going up the down the back (from nose, coming over/through the head) on inhale, and up the front on exhale.

I thought you were supposed to always go the other direction. I dont want to like, fry my cortex in trying the meditation.

Thoughts?

xiao_zhou_tian_front.gif

xiao_zhou_tian_back.gif

Breathing in...

air fills the lungs... the diaphragma goes downwards and causes that the lower belly increases...

you can support this - using the experience -"qi follows attention" - by paying attention to xuan ying (epiglottis / larynx) - heng ge mo (diaphragma) - shu xi (groin)- jiao hou gen (heels)- yong quan (bubbling fountain kidney 1)...

Having filled your lungs well - this mediates a spontaneous increasement of qi-flow through du-mai (governor - back) and ren mai (servant - front)...

they come together at the lips - que qiao - magpie bridge -

spontaneously you feel an increasment of kou shui (salivation)

Breathing out...

the liquid - swallowing - follows the way of qi - to dan tian in lower belly--

a next circle starts - in the moment the body requires another inhale

-

inhaling and exhaling happens because of heaven and earth

thus you can feel the flow in both directions

xiao_zhou_tian_front.gif
xiao_zhou_tian_back.gif

Breathing in...
air fills the lungs... the diaphragma goes downwards and causes that the lower belly increases...
you can support this - using the experience -"qi follows attention" - by paying attention to xuan ying (epiglottis / larynx) - heng ge mo (diaphragma) - shu xi (groin)- jiao hou gen (heels)- yong quan (bubbling fountain kidney 1)...
Having filled your lungs well - this mediates a spontaneous increasement of qi-flow through du-mai (governor - back) and ren mai (servant - front)...
Breathing out...
-

Riyue, that worked! All the way to the lips and salivation! First try!
Thank you!

xiao_zhou_tian_front.gif

xiao_zhou_tian_back.gif

Breathing in...

Breathing out...

-

I thought on inhalation the Qi was supposed to circulate up the spine to the top of the head and back down the front on exhalation?

Well at least that is how I was taught; or is there no specific rule?

Edited by Yuen Biao

I thought on inhalation the Qi was supposed to circulate up the spine to the top of the head and back down the front on exhalation?

Well at least that is how I was taught; or is there no specific rule?

yes, that is right, but start from dantian, go down then back, to top, back to dantian.

like some post said:"My teacher says, why dig a channel if you have no water?" so, you need work on Dan at Dantian first.

Dan is a small ball, I can feel it at Dantian, people are different .

Is there any benefit/harm from spiraling the dantien? I mean, I seem to have made a habit out of "stirring" it while doing something else like driving, especially when I have emotions bubbling up.

Now after reading this thread I've started more seriously concentrating on building the dantien. I sit at least half an hour in full lotus every day, belly breathing, and also meditate it before going to sleep. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Edited by King Kabalabhati

Is there any benefit/harm from spiraling the dantien? I mean, I seem to have made a habit out of "stirring" it while doing something else like driving, especially when I have emotions bubbling up.

Now after reading this thread I've started more seriously concentrating on building the dantien. I sit at least half an hour in full lotus every day, belly breathing, and also meditate it before going to sleep. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Dantian is location, Dan will be build at Dantian. "Tian " means field. Dan means a small mediation ball.

"meditate it" is the way, breathing almost gone,

"emotions bubbling up" for 7 days will result lost all of years Qigong. so control your self.

did you feel very tired after angry?

do you mean angry by "emotions bubbling up"?

Good discussion. Many good points and I don't mean to contrary them, but to provide a different perspective that is also valuable.

ime, on my own path, I spent way too much time with tunnel vision towards the microcosmic orbit. The body is integral and all parts affect each other. Same goes with channels: there are 12 regular channels and 8 extra channels and they are all inter-related and to just focus on du & ren for so long seems cockeyed to me now. The m.o. is a good intro to the fact that there are are channels to open, and it's not a bad place to start - but it's just an introduction, imo. A broader intake of all the channels and a corresponding applied approach to all the channels will get you much further, much easier, with much more balance, stability and harmony. I mean, if you're the kind of person who is going to spend years at doing this kind of stuff anyway.

Trunk

Dantian is location, Dan will be build at Dantian. "Tian " means field. Dan means a small mediation ball.

"meditate it" is the way, breathing almost gone,

"emotions bubbling up" for 7 days will result lost all of years Qigong. so control your self.

did you feel very tired after angry?

do you mean angry by "emotions bubbling up"?

OK.. Good thing I haven't done Qigong for so many years yet.. :)

Is it really healthy to try not to let emotions release? I mean, I'm not talking about acting on them. Lately it's been some sadness I've felt due to changing life situation.

Earlier it was anger and I felt energized by it, so no not tired.

OK.. Good thing I haven't done Qigong for so many ears yet.. :)

Is it really healthy to try not to let emotions release? I mean, I'm not talking about acting on them. Lately it's been some sadness I've felt due to changing life situation.

Earlier it was anger and I felt energized by it, so no not tired.

anger will make liver sick, effect heart too. a lot of things will be effected, during the anger you may feel energized, since it is fire up. Liver is wood (fire will burn wood), lung is metal (fire ko metal), heart (fire) will beat fast. but after anger people feel tired.

to practice Qigong or Tao . two things should be controlled, anger and wind , do not meditation in the wind, specially wind from a gap close to you. if you have deep in meditation and deeply understand Tao, it hard to be anger

So has anyone encountered the 5 animal method of opening (or preparing to open) the orbit?

There is a Master Alex Wong who teaches spontaneous 5 animal movements. Here is the website.

He explains that initially the animals will start up spontaneously in whatever order the body requires... eventaully as the organs are healed the animals occur in order - flowing from one to the other in the creative cycle - this is when the orbit begins to flow, and suplementary practices are added to increase the flow and open it up into the macrocosmic orbit.

Has anyone else come accross this way of opening the orbit?

Edited by freeform

yes interesting topic, i'll add a couple of cents from my experience and what i've seen around:

- the ones that build the dantian first usually have a hard time keeping the Qi inside, while it tends to go out thru the lower gates

this is especially true for folks that have a certain amount of sexual experience that involves lots of emission...

if it does not 'press' you to go out and spend it on girls, will surely find it's way out thru nocturnal emission...

maybe we should stop trying to make a method look better than the other, and try to fit the practice to the Actual needs of the wanna-be practicioner

for example, Chia does not say you have to use your mind to move the Qi first. the first stage of the opening the microcosmic is building:

- heat

- pressure

- rooting

into the lower abdomen... after that you activate the accu points...

- then, there is this issue, should the accu-points be activated by the practicioner, or should they be let be activated by themselves...

actually, i don't think they ever activate themselves. for instance, even if you don't focus directly on a point, the method usually implies in-direct stimulation of the point, sometimes thru specific movements...

i think master chia's system is complete and safe, if you take it as a system, and study how each part complements each other...

people that didn't have actual experience with a gifted instructor that can show how things work in the system, are more prown to find things to 'improve'...

on the problems issue: i know master chia looks like a dumb chinese sometimes, but that is just a cover up. he's a really smart daoist practicioner... the teacher i study with had no problem whatsoever with Any of the practices outlined by master chia.

i keep asking him why other people keep having problems with it, and he doesn't.. why others seem to have skimmed thru the system in a couple of years, and 'got it', meanwhile he (as an instructor) said he merely scratched the surface of the extraordinary richness of this universal tao system...

i got many answers to that, many of good common sense.

but in essence, i think, after watching him how he 'navigates' thru the system, i observed some features that i would like to 'attach' to my bag of tricks:

- always go gradually, never rush into anything

- when everybody else stops, you just keep going

- the practices are a gift of heaven, and heaven only decides who gets it and who doesn't - it has alot to do with the concept of 'De' as in Virtue... i'm still trying to figure that out...

- always pay attention to what you are working to acheive:

*develop health = the biggest issue these days is health. practicioners that are in their younger years may see health as something that comes naturally... eventually, when you advance in age, you see that keeping healthy really IS a big deal, it makes all the difference...

*develop awareness = that means that your inner and outer senses become more and more subtle...

*develop consciousness = you expand your perception of self, more than society and religion has ever taught you...not in theory, but in practice. also, learn to work with this new-found perception of self, in everyday life and challenges of life

* develop De = this is a subject i can't say much about... still studying... until now i just figured that is has much to do with health, awareness and consciousness... even though philosophers may disagree...

- take Life itself as your partner in learning the teaching = it's good if you can unify the practice and eveyday life. this way, the forces of everyday life help you in your practice, help you develop further, understand better... and the Qi and Shen that you get from the practices, is used to meet the challenges of everyday life... it's a continuous process of refinement, in which both parts work as one...

- he practically 'swallows' the system that he studies, with all his heart, all his life, his dedication is progressively greater... but he does it with a sense of responsability, to both his life, his familiy, society... practice is never something separate... it's like the secret ingredient that changes everything.

i'm around this guy for almost seven years now. the reason i still stay around (many come and go) is that i'd like to take and embody these features i described above. even if we read about them, it still doesn't mean much, we can't learn these from a book.

i thought they would be interesting to share, as (maybe) causes that differenciate folks that 'get it', from folks that don't...

L1

edit: the list is much longer, i realized after posting this. it's interesting that he said he thinks that there are other instructors that work with practice this way... yet he doesn't think we can find them on forums, or greately advertised...

PS:

This is the problem with the popular Chia style MCO practice. If done just with mind and visualization you will likely be moving nothing more than the mind, or only a trickle. Build up Qi in Dantien first.

Craig

Craig, what would you say if i tell you that the first time i met the man i talk about, who was an instructor of Master Chia, the man told me exactly the same thing: running an orbit with nothing in it is not very helpful...

THEN he taught me Master Chia's Opening the microcosmic...

the man is really a talent, also doesn't waste time with things that are not the best

Edited by Little1

http://www.meditationexpert.com/yoga-kung-fu/y_microcosmic_circulations_and_playing_with_your_qi.htm

I have been reading a lot from this website lately (MeditationExpert.com) and its been really interesting, I think he is a Zen guy.

Just a couple things he has said have confused me though. He sort of poo poos the MCO in this article saying that it will happen automatically on its own if you practice emptiness meditation, and does not recommend trying to do it. He also said that Taoism is lower level cultivation.

Of course I read master Alex Anatoles book "The Truth of Tao" (tao.org) and he sort of poo poos Buddhism for this and that reason. Interestingly enough, master Anatole does not seem to do the MCO either, but emptiness meditation instead. hmmmmm.

Any thoughts?

http://www.meditationexpert.com/yoga-kung-fu/y_microcosmic_circulations_and_playing_with_your_qi.htm

I have been reading a lot from this website lately (MeditationExpert.com) and its been really interesting, I think he is a Zen guy.

Just a couple things he has said have confused me though. He sort of poo poos the MCO in this article saying that it will happen automatically on its own if you practice emptiness meditation, and does not recommend trying to do it. He also said that Taoism is lower level cultivation.

Of course I read master Alex Anatoles book "The Truth of Tao" (tao.org) and he sort of poo poos Buddhism for this and that reason. Interestingly enough, master Anatole does not seem to do the MCO either, but emptiness meditation instead. hmmmmm.

Any thoughts?

The emphasis of Master Nan, Huai-chin is how most Buddhism falls into "mind yoga" without transforming the body -- so a person can practice what Bodri and Nan call "cessation and contemplation" which includes all the various mind yoga meditations -- it is the foundation and goal of meditation but the results are very slow.

So Master Nan, Huai chin says that the body must be transformed in order for real meditation to occur.

The Taoists also focus on transforming the body -- but from the perspective of the body's energy, instead of the perspective of the emptiness (as is the case for Ch'an buddhism). So the Taoists will criticize Buddhism for also not transforming the body -- because again due to just practicing mind yoga.

Master Nan and Bodri explain a lot but at the same time for "real" meditation which means after nirvikalpa samadhi -- then Nan and Bodri state that it can not really be put into words. Also based on Master Nan's vows as a monk he's not allowed to describe "real" meditation anyway. So once the body channels are opened up then it's true that the energy circulates on its own -- but not just in the body! This is called the "macrocosmic orbit" in Taoism -- "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" -- it has to be experienced to really know what it's like.

At that point then the emptiness is the best guiding principle for the meditation because if you can travel out of your body -- then where should you travel to -- what for -- and "who" is it that is traveling? What is the meaning of immortality or eternity if you can just travel out of your body -- where does it start and end? These questions can only be answered by a proper understanding and focus on the emptiness, whereas if the focus is on the body transformation then improper attachment to the powers of the body happens. When the powers of the body are used through the mind -- and not the emptiness -- then an imbalance in the body/mind happens which can only be resolved through the emptiness.

So the Taoists will criticize Buddhism for also not transforming the body -- because again due to just practicing mind yoga.

Unless you are talking about in China where there isn't much Buddhist Tantra, even though there is some secret mantra yoga paths there, Vajrayana is very accessible and is widely practiced in Western countries now and involves a vast assortment of body transformation techniques. Vajrayana offers liberation in a single lifetime.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Well in my opinion i feel that the dan tian has to be built and properly activated ;) . Your dan tian spins in correlation with your mco in both directions. When your mco path is open its spins all the time sometimes in one direction, sometimes in the other, and at times both. And its dependent on the breath. Reverse breathing the mco will run up the spin, normal breathing the mco will want to go the other way. There is a ball in your huiyin that spins in correlation with your mco i can close my eyes and see this ball at my hui yin spin with my mco and i can see it change directions with my mco.

Chia is not a real master in neijia.

I have been out at the movies just relaxing and enjoying the film and have had my mco come up screaming high during the scary or intense parts. At one point it is dependent on your emotions.

To have the real attainment of the mco means to have mastered the energy flow of your body. If you wanted you could be up for days without feeling tired at all. And have a intimate relationship with your dan tian

When your mco opens and runs all the time then you can start going onto higher work with it. Like focusing on your lower dan tian as it runs, then to the middle dan tian, then the to the upper dan tian to further develop those energy centers and charge them.

This is building the fire

Opening the gate

Cultivating the light

and i could go more and more into it.

Edited by electric gravity

When your mco opens and runs all the time then you can start going onto higher work with it. Like focusing on your lower dan tian as it runs, then to the middle dan tian, then the to the upper dan tian to further develop those energy centers and charge them.

I know this was not the point of your post, but what exactely does the middle dan tien do? As I am aware the lower stores energy, and the upper is related to consciouncess, thought and perception. I just heard vaguely once that the middle dan tien has something to do with emotions, and I've also heart it compared to the heart chakra, but in reality I don't know what it does?

imo Drew is a person here on the forum who often knows what he is talking about, and alchemy is such a mysterious practice to know any darn truth.

Indeed, we must try not to focus on the intellectual mind games and try and concentrate on observing and holding focus on the sensations.

In my own experience, you need to build a huge reservoir of energy in the dantien and this in turn creates a "pressure" at your disposal that will run into the gates in the spine. While this is happening you have to keep adding fuel to the dantien and eventually over time a free flow will start to be felt ahead of the path. The chi will naturally clean up all the other areas nearby also. There is also a lot of speculation that this "cleaning process" dissolves emotional blockages and karmas but I can't be certain of this.

From what I understand the microcosmic orbit is an early stage of the macro orbit which is largely responsible for the natural human ability to project energy out of the leg and hand points. These are necessary for healing and levitation like functions.

It's almost like we are in bodies that have been locked to average people by someone, and some knowledgeable minority earn the right to unlock this larger side of life.

SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE

TF

"bodies that have been locked to average people by someone"

By ourselves - with some help from our family, friends, peers, superiors and inferiors. :ph34r:

The good news is yes, you can free it up.

Any thoughts?

You received some good responses. I just want to share something from my own experiences.

I had no trainging about MCO, kundalini, internal cultivation, meditation, yoga etc. when my Kundalini activated. In the process of going through that my MCO was activated plus many other orbits in my body.

What happened energetically in my body does not always mirror what I have since read in other books or traditions. What I think that might mean is the body wants to have the MCO open for better health. Whether serendipity or synchronicity play apart (in the untrained) I think it is a result of natural body wisdom if the body is supported in its wisdom.

In other words, if the body likes it and it is a natural part of being a healthy, happy individual I think it will happen. I can only imagine that no one taught the animals or trees or planets how to open the MCO and other orbits but it runs naturally. I think the question is why isn't it just naturally active in all human beings?

s

The emphasis of Master Nan, Huai-chin is how most Buddhism falls into "mind yoga" without transforming the body -- so a person can practice what Bodri and Nan call "cessation and contemplation" which includes all the various mind yoga meditations -- it is the foundation and goal of meditation but the results are very slow.

So Master Nan, Huai chin says that the body must be transformed in order for real meditation to occur.

The Taoists also focus on transforming the body -- but from the perspective of the body's energy, instead of the perspective of the emptiness (as is the case for Ch'an buddhism). So the Taoists will criticize Buddhism for also not transforming the body -- because again due to just practicing mind yoga.

Master Nan and Bodri explain a lot but at the same time for "real" meditation which means after nirvikalpa samadhi -- then Nan and Bodri state that it can not really be put into words. Also based on Master Nan's vows as a monk he's not allowed to describe "real" meditation anyway. So once the body channels are opened up then it's true that the energy circulates on its own -- but not just in the body! This is called the "macrocosmic orbit" in Taoism -- "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" -- it has to be experienced to really know what it's like.

At that point then the emptiness is the best guiding principle for the meditation because if you can travel out of your body -- then where should you travel to -- what for -- and "who" is it that is traveling? What is the meaning of immortality or eternity if you can just travel out of your body -- where does it start and end? These questions can only be answered by a proper understanding and focus on the emptiness, whereas if the focus is on the body transformation then improper attachment to the powers of the body happens. When the powers of the body are used through the mind -- and not the emptiness -- then an imbalance in the body/mind happens which can only be resolved through the emptiness.

I am no expert on out of body projection, but depending on which you do it has seemed easy to me. Making small projections that don't require much energy, easy - and the bodies created through this sort of projection can be allowed to dissapate (From experience) and it is easy to make many, many continous projections this way. I was also taught how to send out multiple projections at once like this. It really is confusing, becuase the sensory input from more than a single projection is.. Well a bit confusion at first.

Also, being able to project is useful for learning more about how "all this" works *Waves his arms about* I suggest traveling to your Higher Self for some fun learning. I enjoyed it anyhow.

So has anyone encountered the 5 animal method of opening (or preparing to open) the orbit?

There is a Master Alex Wong who teaches spontaneous 5 animal movements. Here is the website.

He explains that initially the animals will start up spontaneously in whatever order the body requires... eventaully as the organs are healed the animals occur in order - flowing from one to the other in the creative cycle - this is when the orbit begins to flow, and suplementary practices are added to increase the flow and open it up into the macrocosmic orbit.

Has anyone else come accross this way of opening the orbit?

I will be visiting Master Alex Wong next week for 6 days.