Stigweard

Do You Train Martial Arts?

The Martial Arts Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Currently Actively Involved in Martial Arts Training?

• Yes (post which type below)
    • No

I'm training hung gar gung fu and qigong for six months... not a long time, but I love it :)

Stigweard,

I'm involved in Wudangquan which includes Taiji and our Kung Fu (to us it's the same really it's all neijiaquan)

In the past I studied Shaolin Wuxingquan (5 Animal) and emphasized in Shaolin He Quan (Crane Fist)

Obviously many of us Bums are martial artists of one sort or another. I would be very interested to find out just how many of us are MA's and what types are trained. So if you post "Yes" I would be very grateful if you post down below what martial arts you are involved in.

Thank you in advance for your kind participation.

:D

What do you want to talk about Neigong? I'm in! I'm from the Wudang Longmen Neidan Sect of Taoism

yes I'm in a traditional wushu (kung fu) program. northern wai jia styles of traditional wushu (kung fu).

I'd rather not talk further about cma on this board though. I'm hear to talk about qigong, neigong etc.

Yeah, I guess the forms that I'm learning are of Chen Taiji and Hsing-I.

Forms don't really matter though, what is important to me right now is that I'm learning to use my body most efficiently. My ability to focus my intention is also proving to be applicable outside of the martial art. I'm cultivating these things, and mastering them is endless.

Most of this is coming out of the principles of Yichuan, but go beyond the label, "Yichuan".

Edited by Pranaman

From 14 years old

Karate

Bujinkan Ninjutsu

Hung gar

Pa lei chuan

Now only meditation. :rolleyes:

Since 81'... all different types of Karate and Kung Fu, including the coveted Ninjitsu. Yes folks... no not really that special.. I know, but it was when I studied and practiced it!!

Xingyiquan for me at the moment. Went from external arts in my teens and twenties, to weapons based arts in my thirties, and now to IMA in my forties. I don't think you ever lose the desire for training in the martial arts, but your focus changes as you get older.

I studied Tae Kwon Do for ten years.

-Been thinking about practicing Tai Chi as an addition to my practices. I'de have to find a good teacher though.

Up until about a year ago I was training full time, 4 to 5 times a week since 2002. I started with tai chi (modified Wu style) and baguazhang. After about a year and a half I started training kung fu; modified wing chun, hung gar and northern shaolin.

These days all I can manage is some basic qigong and tai chi due to a herniated disc that is impinging my sciatic nerve. I really want to get back up to speed. I feel like a big part of my life is missing.

Yau kung Mun& Bak Mei since 1986 (16yrs old and still going)

Wun Yuen Gong since (2002 and still going)

Bak Fu Pai - Burning Palms and other rare arts since (1996 and still going)

Its a complete way of life, plus I was a Taoist since 1992 ordained...

Great thread...

Its a complete way of life, plus I was a Taoist since 1992 ordained...

Great thread...

That seems a bit counter-intuitive. How are you ordained a Taoist?

Well I've studied only 24 posture Yang family style tai chi chuan.

After that I wanted to start kung fu at the same school after seeing it purportedly had a good lineage in wide range of styles. Ie, Southern Emperor's Long Fist (Song/Tai Jow's/Tai Tzu Chang Chuan) aka Cheung Kune Pai, Northern Shaolin, one hung gar form (tiger crane) , one form of lau gar, a Choy Li Fut. There's also like one or two wushu forms we teach, pai mei form. snake form.

It concentrates mostly on the Southern Emperor's Long Fist and Northern Shaolin. Southern Emperor's Long Fist I heard was kinda rare at least in the US.

They also teach Hua Shan Pai Do Ga Qi Gong, which I've also practiced.. I know 10 of the gongs. There's 108 in total divided into three levels, jing chi and shen.

So yeah I'm hoping for the best on this. I've so far done only a southern long fist form and working on the lau ga form. Southern Long Fist is pretty much taught exclusively for black sashes tough because it is advanced. There's only one form taught below that, and I already learned it. Lau Ga, Northern Shaolin, Choy Li Fut, are all taught below black sash.

When I'm done or hopefully sooner I'll get back into the internal sets taught here. 48 international, chen 108, ba gua styles, water boxing, xingyi chuan.

awesome stuff.

A few bits of Long Fist as a child

Wrestling in high school

Kenpo

Wu Yu Xiang Tai Chi Chuan

Liu Feng Chun Ba Gua Zhang

Hebei Xing Yi Chuan (Dong Zi Ying lineage)

Currently studying Wu Dang Tai Chi Chuan

Various qi gong, nei gong associated with the above systems

I haven't had much formal training. But in high school we were taught some Tai Qi Quan. The rest I've learned on my own through reading and experience.

Wah Lum Tam Tui Praying Mantis / Grand Master Poi Chan at the temple started at age 16 Then Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan with Master Jou Sung Hwa Then and now Wudang Kung Fu with Master Chen and Master Bing USA and in China Taoist Kung Fu Academy next to Purple Heaven Palace..29 years of dedicated practice so far