Stigweard

Do You Train Martial Arts?

The Martial Arts Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Currently Actively Involved in Martial Arts Training?

• Yes (post which type below)
    • No

Mike,

Having felt a bit of (and been impressed by) the art myself recently, I'd love to hear a story of you putting it to use (against humans) if you care to share, if you'd like you can PM me. thanks-

I'll PM you.

Chen Taiji here. Plus I dabble in some other arts (Hsing-I Chuan, Pakua Chang etc..)

~ joe

i think you guys are missing the point. it doesn't matter how many humans he used it against, I want to know how many spirits he's vanquished! Only in Los Angeles.

Oh, I do MAs to. Started with Shuai Chiao, a little Hsing-I and Tai Chi mixed in, then spent

the better part of my twenties training Sub Grappling, Bjj, Boxing, and Muay Thai and competing

professionally in MMA.

I am flabbergasted that a spirit fighting system even exists. I wish Bukowski had learned it, then he would have been able to fight off the drink!

I just joined a MMA gym here in melbourne. its great. 25$ a week for unlimited access to Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, arnis and Kyokoshin as well as a Gym. Insane exersize, Very friendly atmospehe.

I am going to try to get to about 6 classes a week.

Happy Me :)

I don't exercise 'cause I need to conserve body fat. I'm a lazy bum. :D

This may be the most refreshing post I've read here in weeks!- But I hope you stay healthy anyway! :D

Well let's see,

I've been training all my life. Started with the grappling arts, Juijitsu, Judo, and Wrestling when I was a kid. Dad began teaching me the family art when I got to a respectable age, and I added Northern Praying Mantis and Kempo to the works when I was in the AF. I also practice and teach Wu style Tai Chi to balance out the hardness of the other stuff. I've taken what my dad showd me and re-created a style I call, Ninpo Chuan Fa with all the other elements involved. I became interested in energy work when I began experiancing the strange effect of students passing out on me when we would practice together. So, I began research and laid off the kiddies for awhile to find out what I was doing. Years passed and I sort of figured out that I realy don't know that much... :D I've got some students around the world that visit occasionaly to keep in in practice and I teach in the local school system.

After all we're all a little Ninja at heart...

Peace and Balance,

John

I was rather put down at a young age when my tykwando instructor sorta vanished on the day I was supposed to recieve my black belt. I've been too upset to try and other martial arts since. Hmm. I did put my self through some Tai Chi Chuan classes to help me further my energy development though. Work made me miss too many classes though.

All in all I feel ready to try something now. I just need to wait a few months when I return to the states I'm going to be finding a place to stay and finding a cheap vehicle... I don't think much is available in the Port Hueneme area of Cali though. I'm going to internet to see what i can dig up sooner rather than later though.

Well, after 26 years of training CMA, 16 here in Taiwan, some stuff I read above seem...

They just turn my off.

Still, here my styles:

very little shotokan

lots of swimming and skiing (competetive) before 18

Taijiquan:

Yang style (37 ZMQ, 64 Song Zhijian, 108 Wang Zihe, all Taiwan)

Chen style (combi form old frame, mainland new frame, Huleijia and He style Taiwan)

Baguazhang:

basic Cheng

just started Yin Fu style (still in the Luohans, more or less Neigong)

Xingyiquan:

Hebei 5 elements, linking

Qigong:

long old 5 animal frolic, neigong of above styles

EMA:

Miaodao:

short form and applications

southern Taizu:

basic mother form

8 direktion stuff

2-headed monkey stuff

partner forms and free play

weapons:

sword, sabre, stuff, fan in forms, partnersets and test cutting with the blades

What I learned:

There are no secrets nor short cuts, there is only training!

Be well and train hard!

fiveelementtao,

How did you get involved in the spirit fighting system? You mentioned that it was recently opened to the public, does that mean its possible to sign up and learn this art? Are there prequisites to learning this fighitng style?

fiveelementtao,

How did you get involved in the spirit fighting system? You mentioned that it was recently opened to the public, does that mean its possible to sign up and learn this art? Are there prequisites to learning this fighitng style?

I am in Idaho

www.SpiritTao.com

I am also are available to travel for seminars...

Thanks for your interest,

Mike

Edited by fiveelementtao

I do Capoeira off and on, and all though it is usually deemed as incredibly impractical, and I'm not saying it isn't, it is both an incredible aerobic and, in the case of an actual confilct, a great way to confuse and/or continually mislead an opponent.

I do Capoeira off and on, and all though it is usually deemed as incredibly impractical, and I'm not saying it isn't, it is both an incredible aerobic and, in the case of an actual confilct, a great way to confuse and/or continually mislead an opponent.

Hi Moth!

Nice to meet you!

Love to watch it! The energy it must take is incredible.

... It's hard on a body though, i would imagine?

LOL, Maybe it would just be hard on My body!!!

If one can do it, More power to them!!!

U have fun with it ?

Must meet some cool people doing it too!

Stay well,

Shon

I train Fook Yueng Chuan in the school months. Too bad Sir doesn't come back home with me in the summers too!

I start Bagua this week, looking forward to it...

As far as Capoeira, my son has been training for 2 years now (he just turned 7). While it's not my place to argue how practical/impractical it is as a form of self-defense, I can say that it is a wonderful form I wish I had studied when I was his age. It has artistic, symbolic, and positive qualities. The flexibility and endurance that is attained is incredible really. Also, he is learning with a diverse group of students, which is a great thing. I relocated to the south some years back and I have a problem with the strip mall karate mentality in this region(especially for young kids), and Capoeira is a great alternative.

Hi

I started to practice karate at age 9 and then later at age 14 started hwardo kwan hapkido, though it is not teached anymore in Finland, but the group remained and these days they practice kyosho aiki jutsu. I have not been active in the group for some time. I still do chi kung at some degree, though it is not a martial art, but to me something that i mostly learned from there. I think I was fortunate with my training partners, as most had interest to chi kung, healing arts and kyosho techniques, made practising a lot more interesting and we all were able to share and learn things on a bit deeper level.

-Ladros

Hello everybody,

I started my Martial path studying Ryukyu Kempo, Small Circle Jiu Jitsu, and Modern Arnis 10 years ago. Life circumstances cut my path short, but I found my way back February of last year training religiously for a year straight twice a week. I've been sidelined currently due to a rotator cuff injury. I'm currently reviewing the options out there for an internal practice I can integrate with my MA once I'm physically well again. I'm still pretty new to TTB's site and would like to say that everybody I've exchanged emails with has been just awesome! I'm looking forward to meeting more of the TTB's members and hope we can learn much from one another.

Peace & Friendship ...

Tommy

yes I'm in a traditional wushu (kung fu) program. northern wai jia styles of traditional wushu (kung fu).

I'd rather not talk further about cma on this board though. I'm hear to talk about qigong, neigong etc.

I study Gao style Baguazhang and Yang style T'ai Chi Chuan.

My teacher for Baguazhang is George Wood who is a student of Luo Dexiu.

http://www.yizongbagua.com/zongwumen.htm

My teacher of T'ai Chi Chuan is Michael Ward who is a senior student of Robert W. Smith. Robert W. Smith was the first western student to learn from Cheng Man-ch'ing.

I also studied some of Xingyi from student's of Robert W. Smith, but not really enough to claim it.

I enjoy Yang Taijiquan through Yang Cheng-fu,- Chen Wei Ming, - Sit King Leung,- Alwin Leung,- Art Barret- me. I also practice Shurikendo and Michuan taiji jian.

I have trained some Karate, Ninjutsu, Aikido and TKD but I have not found my ideal martial art yet. Trained some Qi gong from books...

I have not got the black belt in any either.

I dunno, maybe I should try some Chinese martial arts, some schools of Kung Fu...or Thay???