Scholar

How to build a foundation while I cant afford a teacher?

Recommended Posts

I cant work until I finish college. Its pretty much guaranteed I will have enough money to afford a teacher when I finish it, but only in 5 years and I cant work while doing it, as it consumes too much time(7am to 5pm plus studying, homework, hospital practical work and transportation ). So I want to atleast build  a foundation of energy work until I start practicing with a teacher.

 

I know some qigong exercises and I do those everyday twice along with zhang zhuang. I can feel my hands hot and "electric/magnetic" when I do those and can move that feeling around my body( stronger on hands and feet, weakest at my belly)

 

What do you guys suggest me to do? I cant name the exercises I do. If someone has some free basic theorethical content for me it will be helpful too.

 

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working with Trees is something Basic, Powerful and Easy.  Approach tree with respectful and sincere intentions. Sit in meditation beneath the tree and ask if it will teach and do energy work with you (note...there are many other ways of doing this). 

 

Furthermore...judging from your post....i don't understand why your concerned if your already doing a daily practice? Sounds like you got everything you need. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

Working with Trees is something Basic, Powerful and Easy.  Approach tree with respectful and sincere intentions. Sit in meditation beneath the tree and ask if it will teach and do energy work with you (note...there are many other ways of doing this). 

 

Furthermore...judging from your post....i don't understand why your concerned if your already doing a daily practice? Sounds like you got everything you need. 

Thats a interesting practice. Is there any material that I can look at that in depth? What is the best type of tree to do that?

 

I kind of invented my routine, which is why Im not confident on it. Also I dont think it will suit me for too long as Im likely to outprogress it sooner.

 

Thanks for the tips and answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take up taijiquan practice. The yang style long form is a good one.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lam Kam's book The Way of Energy can give you a good foundation in Zhan Zhuang. It gives clear practice instructions at the price of a very affordable book which includes a description of the 8 Brocades and is something you can stick at for years and still have things unfold. Most people will move on from it and diversify, but it's been the only thing I've used for a long time and I've no desire to try anything else 

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No books that i'm aware of on the topic. Any healthy and welcoming tree will do. Best to not overthink it and just go by experience. Real world experience is more valuable than book knowledge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many teachers who refuse to accept any money what-so-ever on principal, they only require you be a serious and dedicated student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For ZZ standing energy channels should be already open and energy should be balanced to some degree and move freely otherwise individual can get:

1) Nothing at all but waste of time

2) Imbalances which are difficult to eliminate sometime 

 

Something that Most People will NOT tell You...

 

It's common for people to say that Qigong is 100% safe and you cannot harm yourself doing it in any way. Just like lifting weights can help you to strengthen muscles they can also harm you because you need to carefully hold the weights that you are for example, holding above your head. Qigong CAN be done wrong and in this case as opposed to lifting weights, it is more subtle. There is a particular term for when the exercises and Qigong principles are done incorrectly: Energy Deviations. When we practice Qigong we are working with the subtle energies coursing through the body which activate the various structures and organs. Just like something powerful that can help you, it can also harm you if you are not aware of the risks.

 

Energy deviations are essentially harmful energy flows which manifest in the body that come about from incorrect practice. Why is this being mentioned here? Because Zhan Zhuang is a Qigong exercise which one can practice to accumulate a lot of energy. You can imagine what can go wrong if this energy is not accumulated, balanced and nurtured in the correct way in the body. One such example of energy deviations is excessive energy getting stuck in the head which can lead to mental problems.

 

With incorrect practice or with no guidance from a teacher It can happen that a practitioner will experience 'interesting' energy flows and sensations/experiences during and a result of practice but unfortunately these are often actually energy deviations and the practitioner is moving in the opposite direction of the correct results. It is easy to understand why this can happen because on the outside Zhan Zhuang LOOKS very simple.

https://www.daodeqigong.com/post/how-does-zhan-zhuang-work-post-standing-qigong

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just practice Reverse Breathing. This can be practice sitting or throughout the day. When done correctly, it should take 3months to vibrate. Some people they take lower. It’s easiest ways to build foundation on lower Dantian. 8 pieces of brocade is good but make sure u combine with revise breathing. Find basic Taichi as well. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned energy (and other spiritual things) without a teacher.

 

Complimentary to (medical) Qigong, I suggest learning about meridians used in Chinese medicine, acupuncture, acupressure, etc. There is plenty of free written material and videos on this too.

 

I also suggest learning to make a Chi Ball as big as possible. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining how to do this. As you already have some awareness of energy on your hands, it should be easy to get started. The videos only cover tiny balls. It is fairly easy to work up to softball size. Experienced practitioners can make one basketball size. Prodigies can make one larger than their arm span.

 

After learning to make a chi ball the size of a tennis ball, practice removing one hand and holding the ball. When you can reliably do that, replace the removed hand with objects all kinds, learn to distinguish them by feel. Doing this with other body parts and moving your hand along parallel to the surface will allow you to find meridians and determine where they are blocked (beginning steps in medical intuition). Also spread your hands on either side of your aura (palms towards body) and build the aura in the same way you did a chi ball. This is great for overall health and energy defense.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scholar said:

I cant work until I finish college. Its pretty much guaranteed I will have enough money to afford a teacher when I finish it, but only in 5 years and I cant work while doing it, as it consumes too much time(7am to 5pm plus studying, homework, hospital practical work and transportation ). So I want to atleast build  a foundation of energy work until I start practicing with a teacher.

 

I know some qigong exercises and I do those everyday twice along with zhang zhuang. I can feel my hands hot and "electric/magnetic" when I do those and can move that feeling around my body( stronger on hands and feet, weakest at my belly)

 

What do you guys suggest me to do? I cant name the exercises I do. If someone has some free basic theorethical content for me it will be helpful too.

 

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

 

"It is better to have no foundation and zero problems than it is to have a horrible foundation that comes with many problems (especially health) when preparing to study with a new teacher." 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Let what you're doing evolve, the qi gong and zhan zhuang.  There's a world of variations.   When the time is right you'll find a teacher and method.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Option 1:

21 hours ago, Miffymog said:

Lam Kam's book The Way of Energy can give you a good foundation in Zhan Zhuang. It gives clear practice instructions at the price of a very affordable book which includes a description of the 8 Brocades and is something you can stick at for years and still have things unfold. Most people will move on from it and diversify, but it's been the only thing I've used for a long time and I've no desire to try anything else 

This is not a bad suggestion at all.

The cheaper version is doing it for free based off his 10 day "Stand Still, Be Fit" video series that can be found on youtube- though there are many nuances that can be missed on the video. Here's day 1- and the other 9 days are on the YouTube channel. 

 

 

 

Option 2:

If you'd like to try Longmen sitting meditation maybe try https://online.nathanbrine.com/courses/intro-to-taoist-alchemy 

 

If you're in university preparing for an illustrious medical career, then a one off payment of $75 shouldn't be a challenge at all.

 

Option 3:

Back to freebies

 

Xiang Gong

 

There are a number of warnings with this style-chief amongst them is don't mix practising this style with any other- at all- EVER. However some people have practised it in parallel without facing severe repercussions. Despite this, the advice remains the same- just don't do it.

 

There are some on the board that would also recommend against practising using this video without the instructions the style, as it can be just plain dangerous.

 

 

 

 

There are many, many ways to the top of the mountain, but I am sure if you preserve that you will find yours.

 

Best of luck!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Awen said:

Xiang Gong

 

What's that? :) If you do not have teacher better doing Flying Phoenix. But may be not good for newbies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, Antares said:

For ZZ standing energy channels should be already open and energy should be balanced to some degree and move freely otherwise individual can get:

1) Nothing at all but waste of time

2) Imbalances which are difficult to eliminate sometime 

 

Something that Most People will NOT tell You...

 

It's common for people to say that Qigong is 100% safe and you cannot harm yourself doing it in any way. Just like lifting weights can help you to strengthen muscles they can also harm you because you need to carefully hold the weights that you are for example, holding above your head. Qigong CAN be done wrong and in this case as opposed to lifting weights, it is more subtle. There is a particular term for when the exercises and Qigong principles are done incorrectly: Energy Deviations. When we practice Qigong we are working with the subtle energies coursing through the body which activate the various structures and organs. Just like something powerful that can help you, it can also harm you if you are not aware of the risks.

 

Energy deviations are essentially harmful energy flows which manifest in the body that come about from incorrect practice. Why is this being mentioned here? Because Zhan Zhuang is a Qigong exercise which one can practice to accumulate a lot of energy. You can imagine what can go wrong if this energy is not accumulated, balanced and nurtured in the correct way in the body. One such example of energy deviations is excessive energy getting stuck in the head which can lead to mental problems.

 

With incorrect practice or with no guidance from a teacher It can happen that a practitioner will experience 'interesting' energy flows and sensations/experiences during and a result of practice but unfortunately these are often actually energy deviations and the practitioner is moving in the opposite direction of the correct results. It is easy to understand why this can happen because on the outside Zhan Zhuang LOOKS very simple.

https://www.daodeqigong.com/post/how-does-zhan-zhuang-work-post-standing-qigong

Antares knows his shit and I second what he says. A teacher is crucial to get stable progress and avoid deviations and negative side effects.

 

If you can't afford a 70$-80$/month for a teacher. These are your next best options:

 

https://www.bigqifield.com/tab/152976

https://mailchi.mp/d6094bf1f7b0/taichitao

 

As your health and energy improve... so should your capacities and abilities to manifest/generate material wealth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2021 at 12:52 AM, Earl Grey said:

 

"It is better to have no foundation and zero problems than it is to have a horrible foundation that comes with many problems (especially health) when preparing to study with a new teacher." 

 

Such concentrated gold is too much for my puny eyes to take in. Goddamit this is GOOD advice!

 

(I'm serious here, really good advice).

 

On 05/03/2021 at 2:12 PM, Scholar said:

I cant work until I finish college. Its pretty much guaranteed I will have enough money to afford a teacher when I finish it, but only in 5 years and I cant work while doing it, as it consumes too much time(7am to 5pm plus studying, homework, hospital practical work and transportation ). So I want to atleast build  a foundation of energy work until I start practicing with a teacher.

 

I know some qigong exercises and I do those everyday twice along with zhang zhuang. I can feel my hands hot and "electric/magnetic" when I do those and can move that feeling around my body( stronger on hands and feet, weakest at my belly)

 

What do you guys suggest me to do? I cant name the exercises I do. If someone has some free basic theorethical content for me it will be helpful too.

 

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

 

With this schedulle, I would recommend focusing on keeping a healthy (as much as possible) lifestyle for now. The first foundation you'll build will be on Jing - you need to have a good and healthy body before advancing on energetic practices such as nei gong.

 

See keeping your health as building your first foundation. Make your daily routine as healthy as possible (in a TCM way) and you'll have what is needed to progress fast and secure on your cultivation practices.

 

Your current level of practice seems to be related to a begining of Shen cultivation - moving energy with your heart/spirit/consciousness.

 

It is all good and joyfull while you still have an innately strong Jing, but this "med school routine" of yours will be a heavy drain on your Jing, so focus on preserving it before trying to advance on Shen practices. You'll need it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/03/2021 at 11:00 PM, Antares said:

For ZZ standing energy channels should be already open and energy should be balanced to some degree and move freely otherwise individual can get:

1) Nothing at all but waste of time

2) Imbalances which are difficult to eliminate sometime 

 

Something that Most People will NOT tell You...

 

It's common for people to say that Qigong is 100% safe and you cannot harm yourself doing it in any way. Just like lifting weights can help you to strengthen muscles they can also harm you because you need to carefully hold the weights that you are for example, holding above your head. Qigong CAN be done wrong and in this case as opposed to lifting weights, it is more subtle. There is a particular term for when the exercises and Qigong principles are done incorrectly: Energy Deviations. When we practice Qigong we are working with the subtle energies coursing through the body which activate the various structures and organs. Just like something powerful that can help you, it can also harm you if you are not aware of the risks.

 

Energy deviations are essentially harmful energy flows which manifest in the body that come about from incorrect practice. Why is this being mentioned here? Because Zhan Zhuang is a Qigong exercise which one can practice to accumulate a lot of energy. You can imagine what can go wrong if this energy is not accumulated, balanced and nurtured in the correct way in the body. One such example of energy deviations is excessive energy getting stuck in the head which can lead to mental problems.

 

With incorrect practice or with no guidance from a teacher It can happen that a practitioner will experience 'interesting' energy flows and sensations/experiences during and a result of practice but unfortunately these are often actually energy deviations and the practitioner is moving in the opposite direction of the correct results. It is easy to understand why this can happen because on the outside Zhan Zhuang LOOKS very simple.

https://www.daodeqigong.com/post/how-does-zhan-zhuang-work-post-standing-qigonga

 U said something very true I know that feeling when energy stuck at head can't get rid of it and u feel headache still not sure how remove that or end training

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, Iliketurtles said:

There are many teachers who refuse to accept any money what-so-ever on principal, they only require you be a serious and dedicated student.

 

These are the teachers you actually want. If you understood the underlying nature of reality, do you think cash would still be something you get caught up in? You are looking for something more transformative.

 

The practices that matter are free, and relatively simple. 

Edited by stirling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 1:43 PM, dwai said:

Take up taijiquan practice. The yang style long form is a good one.

I see some worthies found this advice funny :)

It is easier to learn a taijiquan form than it is to jump right into neigong. Taijiquan has all the elements of neigong if done properly and practiced in the right manner. But in order to be able to take it to that level, regular practice of the form is needed. 

 

When I was in my twenties, I started my taijiquan journey with Paul Lam's 6-form taichi  DVD -- doesn't seem like much, does it? But if you practice these forms with sincerity and diligence, there will be certain benefits at the physical level, as well as the energetic level. After the 6-form practice, I got his 24-form Yang style form DVD. It took me a while to learn the physical movements. If you are naturally gifted at proprioception (which I was, and had many years of Karate training prior to starting Taiji), it will help learn the movements easily. After a few months, when the form has become embedded in your system, that's when the fun begins.

 

For me, it was around 6 months. I didn't know what this Qi thing was -- but I loved the way I felt to move in the taiji way -- breath coordinated with movement, stretching, contracting, and twisting gently. I practiced the long-form over and over, an hour or more a day, sometimes twice a day. That summer, as I was standing in the middle of a public park around sunset, doing the "tree hugging" form, looking into the horizon as the sun was slowly setting, opening and closing the form when a mini-tornado started to move around in my lower abdomen. It felt like a dust-devil that one might see in an arid landscape....spinning, undulating, twisting, and turning -- kind of like the taijiquan form movement sped up.  

 

After that day, whenever I practiced the form --- I would start to sweat profusely, the body would get warm and it felt really good. The coolest thing was the feeling of intense flow inside the body, especially in the legs. Little by little, the body was becoming an integrated energetic entity...

 

Soon after this, I found my teacher (Temple style taiji master) -- and I found Temple style to be a profound and comprehensive system that uses Single form practice (Dan Tsou) which is practiced in the "Qigong" way -- repeated movements over and over again. The nuances of what Taijiquan really is are explained. These are the "inner-door" secrets that have been closely guarded in the family-styles, revealed without any reservations to the students. Along with that are standing meditation sets, seated meditation sets -- this forms the corpus of "Dao Gong", which is what Temple Style Taiji aims to teach -- and I've been practicing this system for close to twenty years now. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, apdo said:

 U said something very true I know that feeling when energy stuck at head can't get rid of it and u feel headache still not sure how remove that or end training

 

I would advise you to stop training at all. What you can do now is walk barefoot but only when ground is warm enough. I hope it is quite warm there in Egypt now. There is an exercise which referred to as "qi descenting" which you should do often. You would just rise your hands up above your head and feel like you hold a ball there above your head and immediately bring the ball down in front of your body. Feel how the qi goes down through your body into the Earth. Your hands should go down slower than upwards. Use light gentle attention don't use imagination, just feel it and relax. Probably you can do sport but it depends on age and your health state. Normally I would not recommend sport to anyone even jogging but in your case you might have some benefits of it. It 's better doing walking. Also accupuncture would be much of help but only if you can find knowlegeable chinese practitioner   

Edited by Antares
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do martial arts and train fitness I a. 24y and have good health I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could always try Damo Mitchells online program. It's 40 bucks a month (USD), but each month has a wealth of information that goes well beyond a month's worth of training, and you can cancel whenever you want (AFAIK).

 

Maybe you can't afford this on a monthly basis, but if you can scrap up 40 bucks every 4 months or so for 5 years, you'd have a significant amount of material covered in nei gong, tai chi, and bagua (all of which are included in the monthly plan). Then there's the massive library of information that is also included, which gives you even more to work with. 

 

In addition to this, there's also an active facebook group for students where you can get a lot of interaction with Damo and other students and ask questions, as well as Damo Mitchell's podcasts, which can be heard on youtube or other sites. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, apdo said:

I do martial arts and train fitness I a. 24y and have good health I think 

What sort of MA do you do? Far not all of them are "healthy". Better doing IMA where there is internal training without intense exercises in it. I recall once many years ago when I was doing some sort of "training" on my own I started feeling stuck energy in my head. I did incorrect yoga training from the books mainly and I did breath retaining exercises and even reverted asanas. When I woke up in the mornings I felt like I was working all night but I continued my "training". Thanks God I had DaoDejing book and began reading it. And then something "switched off" in me and I realized that balance of Yin and Yan is very essential in any training. I stopped doing "yoga" and started looking qigong teacher in my area. I lived in Ireland at that time and could not find any knowlegeable teacher. I decided to train kung fu where there were intense exercises, "taichi" forms and some funny qigong which was mishmash of corrupt "shaolin" training. And I payed quite much money for that trash. Bit I was thinking I was doing advanced shaolin training. My psychic state of mind went way worse than before. One day I realized that I do something wrong and started looking internal MA school. There was wingchun teacher in my area and I wanted to train wingchun with him... but when I met a teacher and he saw me I was rejected. He said I had a lot of yang qi in my head and that wingchun is not for me. Then I went to aikido school and I was taken on the board and I can say it helped me to bring my energy back to balance.  There must be soft and gentle training in the beginning of IMA training.

Even fitness can lead to yin yang imbalance and quite easily. All we do is affecting our yin and yang so you must be aware of what you are doing. Fitness and sport are good for body and might have some benefits but are very questionable for yin yan balance. In general my advise is to train with a teacher who can see your energy state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see 40 isn't really big problem and what is FB group link ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites