Junko

The origin of mankind

Now this is a concept worthy of discussion.  We should likely just skip how we came here though.  But the rest?  Yeah.  We humans are far too over-bearing on the planet and its other species.

Speak for yourself.

No. Because it's you-and only because it's you- I would require payment in cash for the exchange.

Money for old rope?

Now this is a concept worthy of discussion.  We should likely just skip how we came here though.  But the rest?  Yeah.  We humans are far too over-bearing on the planet and its other species.

Worthy of discussion on another thread, perhaps. The topic of this one is how we came here. ;)

Worthy of discussion on another thread, perhaps. The topic of this one is how we came here. ;)

Ice cream. Only planet in the galaxy with ice cream.

Oh, wait...

That's why we came here.

How?

Well, I've always assumed we caught a ride on a Vogon freighter.

• Like 2

My friend and I, we are both Japanese and I am in Switzerland and she is in united states in Florida. We both love icecream!

• Like 1

I am are far too over-bearing on the planet and its other species.

Fixed that for you. :-)

From what Ive read , many scenarios are posited ,,, Homo erectus spread out of africa to europe ,

heidelbergensis emigrated to europe , and displaced him , becoming neanderthal

, a second wave of heidelbergensis descendants , this time called sapiens,

came out of africa hooking back up with neanderthal and most stayed there

until just a few generations ago when my grandparents moved to the US. 

The end. 

I would suspect that there were a few more migrations than that. Proof is hard to come by though.

No, thats the only important ones. To try to make it complicated would be like quoting Kasich. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Ice cream. Only planet in the galaxy with ice cream.Oh, wait...That's why we came here.How?Well, I've always assumed we caught a ride on a Vogon freighter.

Brian, your thoroughness amazes me!

Who said that scientists can only explain the "how", while neglecting the "why"?!

• Like 2

Brian, your thoroughness amazes me!Who said that scientists can only explain the "how", while neglecting the "why"?!

Errrr...

Ummm...

I think I said that.

:D

• Like 1

I'm a bit more positive on the human race.  (other species have had heydays of growth as they've reached new continents and grown exponentially)   We're smart, we're adaptable.  Our big brains allow us to change the environment like no other creature.  It keeps us alive, comfortable and moving forward.

Even on a more spiritual basis we've spread because we've worked together.  Individually we're not much but together we're the top the food chain, whether we choose to be carnivores or not.

We can do alot better though.  Get our global and social act together.  Moving our love of immediate family outwards, translating into action to care for all humanity.. kind of stuff.

• Like 2

I'm a bit more positive on the human race.  (other species have had heydays of growth as they've reached new continents and grown exponentially)   We're smart, we're adaptable.  Our big brains allow us to change the environment like no other creature.  It keeps us alive, comfortable and moving forward.

Even on a more spiritual basis we've spread because we've worked together.  Individually we're not much but together we're the top the food chain, whether we choose to be carnivores or not.

We can do alot better though.  Get our global and social act together.  Moving our love of immediate family outwards, translating into action to care for all humanity.. kind of stuff.

Individually we are everything. Working together we can accomplish more than we would by ourselves, but you denigrate the individual when you cannot see the unique contribution each is capable of. One man must, not many. One man must think and build a wheel, other men can copy him, but only one man will do it the first time within a group. The mass of people do not collectively come up with a printing press or a pencil. One man conceives it.

• Like 1

Individually we are everything. Working together we can accomplish more than we would by ourselves, but you denigrate the individual when you cannot see the unique contribution each is capable of. One man must, not many. One man must think and build a wheel, other men can copy him, but only one man will do it the first time within a group. The mass of people do not collectively come up with a printing press or a pencil. One man conceives it.

Ayn Rand was not a man.

• Like 1

Men ride the wave of circumstance, inventions usually get 'invented' by several people roundabouts the same time, an obvious example would be electricity- Edison Tesla etc ... So no , individuals might not actually responsible for what they might take credit for. 

• Like 1

Thanks , Nungali ,
this is helping to clarify , but I want to check my reading ,, if its not too tedious ,,,,

Bunjalung  or Bundjalung is the tribal affilliation and language group to which Lewis walker belongs ,and it or they center roundabout  New south wales, because earlier traditional habitations are underwater , in the Gulf of Carpentaria where a large shallow lake was?

The story I heard was from an elder ; When the ocean rose and flooded the Gulf Of Carpentaria (which was previously above water level ) , a 'fierce tribe' moved westward as they were loosing their land and displaced the Bunjalung who were living in that area and they moved south eventually coming to east coast NSW.  This is very different to the 3 brothers legend, coming by canoe ( But did that legend come with them is it a NSW legend  ? ? ? 

The Name Lewis walker is taken from an ancestor hero of the man in the clip?

No, he got that name like most westerners got them. The ancestral 'spirit' for them would be 

his   specific ancestor hero  ( I have a bad memory here ) is  Boorigan  ( spelling ? )  - possibly one of the the three brothers ? 

and you know him personally,but didnt learn the whole story about the Mani, you live near,"  Old man dreaming." though this is a place you are associated with, somehow,  but do not own or live at.

Phew !  ....   Lets see;     he is an old friend.  I have not learned the  whole  story   ( stories have great depth and  start to interconnect with stories of other places, events and beings, based on family relations, moiety, totemic relationships via 'song lines'  having the potential to link the whole country up and are heard by entitlement. 

Maybe no one knows the whole story, thats the idea, to keep people and places connected so the whole story is a group thing.

I can see Old Man Dreaming  from  my cabin  (and from where I move my bed to to get winter morning sun, I can see him while I lie in bed  ( ... and dream ) . He looks up the valley . 

(As far as I can make out from your question),  I am associated with 'that' place , I dont own it ( national park) I live nearby but I dont 'own' the place I live on  but I do live 'at it '   ? ? ?  :wacko:  

if that is what you meant . 

( I thought Nungali was a placename near you,

Its my DBs  site name, based on  Ngali   -   http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/Lookouts/Skywalk-lookout

or you were associated with, that

I am associated by  what I wrote above and a  'magical connection' . 

Or if you like ... by living in that area and being receptive to the area energies and network. 

had something to do with kangaroos. )

nah ....   I just liked that 'lazy kangaroo' picture , I have been a wily-wily, a camel , a sea cucumber spirit, originally I was a goanna ....  another type / variation  Nungungali  ....  one of two main creator spirits  (landscape was formed from a battle between a giant snake and a goanna ) 

Salt water people and freshwater people , refers to , groups living on the coast vs inland?

Yes. 

not being some sort of totem affiliation. 

Howd you come by the clip? 

Its on the internet ..... there are a few others  like it .    they were a result of the 'Julingah Yowarl '  period  ( which seems finished now ) 

http://www.ecoshout.org.au/event/julinbah-yowarl-rainbow-corroboree

• Like 1

I got one of those. :)

No .... you got two of those . 

and now, finally got a day off, but I gotta split  (  :) ) again .....   saturday training -  concentrates on  Jo today , dont wanna miss that !       )  

• Like 1

Ayn Rand was not a man.

Damn you discovered the flaw in my argument :-) Bloody woman always mess it all up.

Men ride the wave of circumstance, inventions usually get 'invented' by several people roundabouts the same time, an obvious example would be electricity- Edison Tesla etc ... So no , individuals might not actually responsible for what they might take credit for. 

Someone might think of the idea, they may even produce a model, but one man will drive it through to commercial viability. Others may claim credit, but they are not standing there with a production model and a line of eager buyers. It often takes far more than an inventive mind, it requires entrepreneurial flare to make it happen in the face of many obstacles and barriers. It needs finance and marketing plus the grit and determination to take the risk. These, as Rand says, are the Atlases. Without them we would still be living in caves fighting off wild animals.

• Like 1

Can we? On a collective level? Before we doom ourselves?

When I liken the Earth to a person, the human race is behaving an awful lot like a cancer.

I share your optimism on an individual level, but I am concerned about our race on the large scale.

• Like 1

Lets say, Karl has a wonderful novel idea never before been thought. Society at large has to buy in. Theres no reason why ummm Ralis might not have the same idea.. after Karl, but knows a guy who can build it, and does so before Karl. Either way, the conceptry required to have the idea was generally available already. ... provided by,,, you guessed it! The giants on whoms backs we all stand. But the financial backer may be a total dipstick.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Lets say, Karl has a wonderful novel idea never before been thought. Society at large has to buy in. Theres no reason why ummm Ralis might not have the same idea.. after Karl, but knows a guy who can build it, and does so before Karl. Either way, the conceptry required to have the idea was generally available already. ... provided by,,, you guessed it! The giants on whoms backs we all stand. But the financial backer may be a total dipstick.

I could have a brilliant idea on a desert island-say to make a net, but I would need to design, procure and build the net. There is an opportunity cost for building the net which I must overcome. It means I must give up something else I need in order to build capital in order to produce the net. I must take a risk. If I run out of food because I couldn't hunt, dehydrate through lack of water gathering, or freeze through lack of firewood then my net gamble will likely kill me. I may well be aware of all manner of nets, be very familiar with them, but on my own, on a desert Island, it gives me only a slight advantage of not having to have thought up the idea. I also know about boats, planes, electricity and water treatment plants, but that doesn't help me in any way if I starve.

Any financial backer is a capitalist. He has, like my, robinsoncrusoe example, stored up his production. He has deferred consumption and instant gratification in order to manage that feat. He must also be a producer (in a free market) and therefore also provides goods/services that others value. As a backer he takes even more risk than the inventor- unless the inventor is the backer. The inventor has also accumulated a form of capital, but it is mental, not physical capital, he cannot eat his ideas. He has foregone getting a job and earning and therefore has had to be supported in some way until he could give birth to the design. So, don't go hard on the backer- he is also an Atlas.

Those who take no risks such as a labourer/ worker aren't Atlases. They are important, but not vital and there stake is none existent. If one compares the levels of risk and mental effort required of an entrepreneur to that of a worker, then the entrepreneur never earns the full value of his effort. The worker by contrast earns far more and his effort is limited to whatever small task is required of him.

Finally there are those who don't make a living by independent production, they are the men who use other men. Those that claim to 'public service' are parasites on the backs of the productive.

Ah yes, there are parasites, and the backer may or may not be one, but the person most at risk, is the one inventing the net on the island, he has- either or -type consequences , he may still eat or just die. The financier, plays a spread, and directs capital which statistically pays off , or maybe not, But thats not a life or death risk. He risks imaginary numbers , which he likely borrowed and can file bankrupcy and hire lawyers to defend him, if he screws up. Like a Trump.

Faced with the iron hand of nature , the burning sun and the non negotiable tropical storm , hes a big pussy. No rich guy takes the risks of the poor if he can help it. Maybe that fastfood worker can feed their kid tonight, maybe they get fired for some trumped up bullshit. The poor learn courage and caution, live with the dire immediate consequences of the dinkiest of issues. The rich think they risk much because the paper zeros are many. I dont blame the well off , I just dont think they are any better,and may be just as bad, or easily .... worse.

Edited by Stosh