What's are some of the most interesting experiences you've had during meditation, OBE, etc.? I'm very interested to hear some of the them! :)

Edited by KenBrace

I've learned (and been recently reminded through bad interactions with a member of this board) not to share that sort of thing with anyone except maybe teachers.

Good practice to diminish the ego.. keep it to yourself

• Like 7

I've learned (and been recently reminded through bad interactions with a member of this board) not to share that sort of thing with anyone except maybe teachers.

Good practice to diminish the ego.. keep it to yourself

Yeah it's a shame we can't all be open and friendly with each other.

• Like 1

If someone else told me that they experienced first hand the same things I have, I wouldn't believe them.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 9

When recounting experiences, especially from an annonymous position behind the keyboard, most people have a tendency to exagerate, fabricate and misrepresent their experiences.

What is even worse, is when someone says one thing and then acts totally differently.

Deception makes fools of us all and wastes everyone's time.

When recounting experiences, it is very important to be as honest, sincere and free from delusion as possible.

The slightest hint of deception is a strong odour which I have learned to avoid.

:)

• Like 1

I think a better solution is to just share the method by which you were able to obtain said experiences (if it's repeatable), and let others see for themselves.

• Like 2

If someone else told me that they experienced first hand the same things I have, I wouldn't believe them.

Yeah I guess I didn't really think it through when I posted this thread. Lol

I always find it amazing that folks on various mystical paths doubt anything out of the ordinary or purely physical just as much as mundane folks sometimes! :)

My most interesting are sort of personal... but I will share the ones I enjoy the most. I call them "Bagua surprises". Basically practicing Bagua (I'm sure this happens with other martial arts, as well as qigong, actually I know it does with qigong, but it is different).... not expecting anything interesting or odd to happen since I am focusing on the physical as a large part of it... when suddenly an extremely intense, or enlightening, or energetic, or just plain odd and out of the ordinary experience happens. It keeps the practice interesting, as well as insightful. I find it different than when I am purposefully contemplating, or meditating or calling some spirits, since in that case I expect a 50/50 chance something odd will happen.

I do find though, in private when you find others of like mind who follow similar paths or practices, then you can share quite a bit back and forth for further insights.

What has been most profound for me is not any single earth shattering mind blowing all is light and pure experience.....but rather the process of evolving and shedding my illusions....the process has been so deep and profound.....and what always amazes me is that I consider myself still so young in my practice.....yet things seem to keep getting deeper and more profound the farther I go with my practices, and there's no end in sight :)....that's whats been most amazing for me....the process itself.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 8

The most PROFOUND experience I've ever had in my entire life thus far has been when I started speaking in tongues during service. It's posted out in detail on here somewhere.

• Like 3

I had an experience of recognising "I" when looking at a non-dual teacher I was working with for a couple of seconds, I haven't spoken about it to anyone except the person I was working with because I don't think it is possible to understand without experiencing it as it is a non personal experience, it is recognising the collective identity so it goes beyond regular mind. In a certain sense it was actually quite weird and depressing rather than amazing, at least to my usual sense of self it was because it meant that I saw that I as an limited individual will never be uniquely special because my identity is not limited to my individual self.

Just a second or two of such an experience changes everything though as you see that all other experiences which are not that are personal experiences and thus limited, it is only when you have the impersonal that real freedom is possible, but it isn't your regular self having it, rather it can be perceived as annhilatory to it so if you really knew what awakening meant you probably wouldnt bother with it at all as it is death. So I see clearly now that when people focus on the personal that they are not awakened, it becomes quite easy to tell for the most part which teachers and people have had such experience.

• Like 1

Yeah it's a shame we can't all be open and friendly with each other.

I think the real shame is that we want so much to be acknowledged as "genuine" or "advanced" that we compromise the integrity of sacred experiences by blabbing and bragging about them to others. Nobody really benefits from that in a significant way. Even if i hear a great story about someone else's practice and the lights they see hahah and the states they can attain and sustain, that doesn't help me because everyone (and the lights and states etc) are different, and (if you use this framework) in different places karmically speaking, so what someone else can attain easily might not be something my mind does like theirs, and so by comparing and thinking "oh i wish i did that" i am really just generating dualistic mind and possibly jealousy and other afflictive emotions. Beyond the guidelines and examples given by authentic teachers, I have no use for that sort of idle chatter. I cringe when i see practitioners sharing their inner experiences like they are showing off some fresh shoes or a new shirt. The real accomplishment is to rest the mind in a state of ease. Who can accomplish that? I have my doubts about those who are consumed by the idea of peak experiences or accomplishments or worse yet "their accomplishments vs others accomplishments" lol. Even though those people think that they have ease and nonduality, I doubt that they really understand the ease and nonduality that is talked about by real masters. So i am friendly and open lol, but i don't talk about my accomplishments or spiritual/energetic experiences with anyone but my teachers.

Edited by konchog uma
  • Like 3

I think the real shame is that we want so much to be acknowledged as "genuine" or "advanced" that we compromise the integrity of sacred experiences by blabbing and bragging about them to others. Nobody really benefits from that in a significant way. Even if i hear a great story about someone else's practice and the lights they see hahah and the states they can attain and sustain, that doesn't help me because everyone (and the lights and states etc) are different, and (if you use this framework) in different places karmically speaking, so what someone else can attain easily might not be something my mind does like theirs, and so by comparing and thinking "oh i wish i did that" i am really just generating dualistic mind and possibly jealousy and other afflictive emotions. Beyond the guidelines and examples given by authentic teachers, I have no use for that sort of idle chatter. I cringe when i see practitioners sharing their inner experiences like they are showing off some fresh shoes or a new shirt. The real accomplishment is to rest the mind in a state of ease. Who can accomplish that? I have my doubts about those who are consumed by the idea of peak experiences or accomplishments or worse yet "their accomplishments vs others accomplishments" lol. Even though those people think that they have ease and nonduality, I doubt that they really understand the ease and nonduality that is talked about by real masters. So i am friendly and open lol, but i don't talk about my accomplishments or spiritual/energetic experiences with anyone but my teachers.

Yeah I understand what you're saying but I didn't post the thread to compare accomplishments or anything like that I just thought it would be interesting to hear some of the experiences others have had. However I realise now that these things are personal amd should generally only be ahared with close friends and teachers.

I jumped down from my balcony to a broken arm, full convinced that some unknown persecutioners have sent a phantom to bump me off. Hours before that I was hearing aliens jamming noise in my phone-conversation with a friend so as to stop me from spilling the secret to him.

• Like 1

I do a lot of spiritual type writing. I prefer to write how to's. However folks seem to like to read about a lot of experiences and testimonial type writing. Apparently it inspires them, and also lets them realize hey maybe I'm not crazy, other people feel energy (or whatever it is) too! Personally I don't like to share too many as they are in general pretty personal. However if it was something long ago, or that happened many times, I don't mind.

I have also had it a couple of times where I will have some specific experience happen a few times in a row, then I will tell my teacher or a friend, and then it stopped after that. It's nice to share with a teacher or very experienced friend to get a bit of feedback sometimes, but on the otherhand, some things aren't meant to be shared at all.

• Like 2

I do a lot of spiritual type writing. I prefer to write how to's. However folks seem to like to read about a lot of experiences and testimonial type writing. Apparently it inspires them, and also lets them realize hey maybe I'm not crazy, other people feel energy (or whatever it is) too!

When I first began practicing one of my biggest inspirations was another practitioner on this site by the name of Tony Wheeler (screen name: Phore). He shared a lot of his experiences in his journal while practicing KAP and it really helped me gain strength in my own practice.

Also its fun and inspirational to know that other people are really cultivating intensely, it definitely helps. I may just go back and re-read it now, probably understand more of it. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 3

Ken, I believe it can help to inspire and empower others to share our spiritual experiences, so I'll tell you one of mine. I'm not saying this to be arrogant or egocentric, but because I believe you're honestly interested in hearing about it. I've had a few spiritual experiences I would consider "amazing", but the most would definitely be when I tried to kill myself.

I was in extreme emotional and spiritual pain. I felt utterly hopeless, and I wanted relief, and committing suicide was the only way out that I could see. Looking back on it, it was selfish of me to do this, and it would have devastated my entire family, especially my mom.

I was 18 years old, and my family was on vacation. I had recently dropped out of high school because of severe emotional problems. Btw it had nothing to do with drugs, although nearly everyone believed it did.

We were staying in a condominium, on the fourth floor. The way I attempted suicide was by jumping off of the balcony. Before I jumped, I asked God to give me another chance.

I lost consciousness immediately after I threw myself over the rail. The next thing I remember was standing in the elevator, going back up to the room. I felt no pain and was totally at peace. When I made it to the condo, I crashed down on the bed in the room my mom was in. She said I was as white as a sheet of paper. She didn't know what I had done, but knew I was hurt and called the ambulance. When I laid down on the bed, I began to feel intense pain all over my body. I had broken my hip, some ribs, collapsed my lung, and lacerated my liver.

A few years later, my mom asked God if an angel had helped me. She told Him that she wanted Him to make the answer clear to her, and that she knew He could find a way to reveal it to her. She then heard a voice inside her head tell her to look up Psalm 91. She had no idea what it said. She read it and there is a verse that says, "He shall give His angels charge over you, lest you dash your foot against a stone." This is the same verse the devil supposedly quoted to Jesus when he tempted him to jump off of the tabernacle.

I just want everyone reading this to know that I'm not sharing this with you out of pride, but simply because it's an interesting story and Ken inquired about our spiritual experiences.

• Like 6

Nice story roger and thanks for sharing it.

I don't feel there was any pride or self-aggrandizement in your post.

• Like 2

I fly a fair amount as part of my work and I used to practice qigong at 33,000 feet. I have experienced stuff only at that moment but that is not what I want to share. I will share a much more mundane experience.

I like flying for the simple reason of looking at the clouds: at what is above and at what is below. Looking down on earth has been my most memorizing experience. But I often looked down in a kind of lamenting way; how 'man' has littered the earth: Look at the structures, roads, cars, etc... it is like insects running around on a blacktop. It is concrete pretending to be earth. It is buildings pretending to be mounts.... it reeks of 'man' de-construction this planet... breaking all the rules of nature which flourishes naturally...

And then in one particular gaze, I saw it... the ten thousand arising, flourishing, returning... and the cars, streets, buildings, structures are a part of the ten thousand... I saw them arise from man... At that moment, I realized that it was not man which is great but the ten thousand things. I have had this experience later as well but not as profound as this first time.

• Like 3

I had an odd experience once many years ago that wasn't related to meditation, but it left me wondering what the heck happened. I was working as a deckhand on a tugboat at that time, and we were out rearranging some barges with our tug boat. I was standing on a barge, very near the edge of a barge (probably much too near the edge given the circumstances, but I was inexperienced at that time) with a line in hand waiting for the barge to get manipulated into position by the tug boat, when unexpectedly the tug boat bumped the barge I was standing on hard. I felt I lost my balance and that I was falling forward towards the edge of the barge. My eyes must have closed briefly as everything went black for an instant and then the next thing I was aware of I was looking around and standing safely several feet back from the edge of the barge and I was fine. If I had fallen in the water at that time it would have been quite dangerous as the edge of the barge was just a short distance away from other barges, and the barge I was on was in motion towards the other barges. It might well have been that nothing unusual happened right then at all, but I was surprised that one moment I felt that I was falling off balance towards the edge of the barge and the next moment I was standing fine several feet away from the edge of the barge. I remember I looked back at the wheelhouse to see what the captain's reaction was as he was looking straight out over the barge I was standing on, but the captain showed no sign on his face that he thought anything unusual had just happened. I had to assume that nothing unusual did happen and that it was just a perceptual glitch that took place, but I found the experience unusual enough that I still have not forgotten that incident after many years. It was like there was a momentary break in my perception of the flow of events, but looking back at what happened my mind says it must have been just a perceptual glitch and rationally that is the most obvious explanation, but for some reason that tiny little experience had enough impact on me to never forget the experience after many years now. Just one of those little oddities that happen sometimes I guess that can make us take pause and question our normal view of things a bit. Maybe it is a pretty insignificant experience, but for some reason the experience stuck in my memory and may have had some influence on my overall perception of things over the subsequent years. :)

Edited by NotVoid
  • Like 3

What I love about the experiences everyone is describing is, that we are not the same person afterwards :). Due to these happenings we never forget, we are changed, and oftentimes open ourselves up to greater possibilities.

• Like 1

Yeah I understand what you're saying but I didn't post the thread to compare accomplishments or anything like that I just thought it would be interesting to hear some of the experiences others have had. However I realise now that these things are personal amd should generally only be ahared with close friends and teachers.

i didn't mean to criticize your approach. Its natural to want to understand the amazing things that we experience, and to want to share them with each other. I have had my own experiences which have colored my perspective, and that is the only POV from which i speak. Other practitioners might benefit from sharing and reading, who am i to say? nobody. So my answer isn't to influence others to "hide their light" only to say that I hide mine, and those are the reasons i prefer to! I am not a teacher and don't know whats best for others, just (sometimes) myself. Best wishes to you.

• Like 3

Ken, I believe it can help to inspire and empower others to share our spiritual experiences, so I'll tell you one of mine. I'm not saying this to be arrogant or egocentric, but because I believe you're honestly interested in hearing about it. I've had a few spiritual experiences I would consider "amazing", but the most would definitely be when I tried to kill myself.

I was in extreme emotional and spiritual pain. I felt utterly hopeless, and I wanted relief, and committing suicide was the only way out that I could see. Looking back on it, it was selfish of me to do this, and it would have devastated my entire family, especially my mom.

I was 18 years old, and my family was on vacation. I had recently dropped out of high school because of severe emotional problems. Btw it had nothing to do with drugs, although nearly everyone believed it did.

We were staying in a condominium, on the fourth floor. The way I attempted suicide was by jumping off of the balcony. Before I jumped, I asked God to give me another chance.

I lost consciousness immediately after I threw myself over the rail. The next thing I remember was standing in the elevator, going back up to the room. I felt no pain and was totally at peace. When I made it to the condo, I crashed down on the bed in the room my mom was in. She said I was as white as a sheet of paper. She didn't know what I had done, but knew I was hurt and called the ambulance. When I laid down on the bed, I began to feel intense pain all over my body. I had broken my hip, some ribs, collapsed my lung, and lacerated my liver.

A few years later, my mom asked God if an angel had helped me. She told Him that she wanted Him to make the answer clear to her, and that she knew He could find a way to reveal it to her. She then heard a voice inside her head tell her to look up Psalm 91. She had no idea what it said. She read it and there is a verse that says, "He shall give His angels charge over you, lest you dash your foot against a stone." This is the same verse the devil supposedly quoted to Jesus when he tempted him to jump off of the tabernacle.

I just want everyone reading this to know that I'm not sharing this with you out of pride, but simply because it's an interesting story and Ken inquired about our spiritual experiences.

Wow what an amazing story! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone else will find this amazing but to me it was a revolution.

I am on a quest to feel qi when in the physical world. So my exceptional experiences involve feeling qi. So it is amazing to me.

The first one was when I wanted to project and I could not go very far. Normally I shoot at a very high speed, so far away that I even believe it is in another galaxy. I don't like dealing in the "real world" like my own home. Since childhood I have have weird experiences in this realm. I don't seek it out though I have also had a lot of harmless and even great experiences here with spontaneous trances which I will not go into for the purposes of this post.

So anyway here I was, trying to find a guide of mine who lives extremely far away and I had incredible trouble projecting. It was very slow and enabled me to see the ceiling rippling out like liquid cement as I pushed through it. I didn't get very far but tremendously enjoyed going through the atmosphere especially where it is violet just before the exit of the last layer.

I soon enough was dragged back down and enjoyed a pixelated sunrise on a beach with the water glowing like a billion diamonds of innumerable colours then I found myself back in my body.

I always wait a bit before moving to let the sleep paralysis wear off. And while I was waiting I felt strong vibrations in my palms that were on my torso. I told myself "why the hell am I holding my cell phone".

When I came back I realised that my palms were face-down on my solar plexus and what I felt was my "silver cord", basically I was blocking the energy eminating from the solar plexus and that why the journey was slow and blocked.

To me it was amazing to find out that the chakra is something real and I was delighted to feel it for myself.

The second incident was when I felt qi radiating in my entire body and being emitted by my hands, also in an astral projection for lack of a better word (I don't always know what to call these states and I have no clue as to the different destinations I reach after the vibrations).

There you go. I have had a lot of interesting experiences but these stand out for me because it is my life's goal to work with energy.

I can't leave often as I have a hectic amount of responsibility at home what with work making me tired as well. I hope to feel the qi vibrating in my body soon again as it was fantastic.

Some people feel it daily in their qi gong and I understand if they feel there is nothing amazing about this but anyway it's my humble two cents.

Edited by Astral_butterfly
  • Like 1