Aaron

Religion is the poison of Spirituality

That's right Apech. The lad Sencer done well to come back like he did after half time following that series of hard tackles and fouls he sustained in the first half.

A little bird tells me that there were scouts from Athletico Dharma Wheel at today's match so I may be right in thinking that we'll be hearing more about this fast lad from London before the end of the season.

• Like 1

K.O game over

Hehehe. I just can't help myself. Please forgive.

The game is nevber over. One end is the beginning of something else. The game goes on. (No, the fat lady doesn't get to sing.)

We have great hopes for the remainder of the season.

If his injuries heal in time then Sencer will be wearing the captain's sash for our forthcoming match against Tantrist United.

Those Tantrists can play dirty so expect to see some sticky moments in the close tackles and scrum downs.

We have great hopes for the remainder of the season.

If his injuries heal in time then Sencer will be wearing the captain's sash for our forthcoming match against Tantrist United.

Those Tantrists can play dirty so expect to see some sticky moments in the close tackles and scrum downs.

He'll be heading for an early bath, early doors.

Whenever we play the Tantrists our lads go straight home after he match and shower there.

Some of the mid fielders have been known to go home two or three times during the game for a quick shower.

Edited by GrandmasterP

if you scroll back further, b4 it was mad dogs, that was intro;d by gmp, aaron said dangerous dogs, but mh said dogs

after 4,600 views and 518 replies , it is hard to maintain that razorsharp precision focus, and aaron occasionally goes off topic and the rest of us follow suit

• Like 1

I agree 100% with your last sentence, religion is not evil, people use religion for evil purposes.

I agree with you agreeing with him.

I think the West benefits from its general lack of historical knowledge and particularly history based passions. Take England, not only did we fight a war of independence with them they actually burnt down our Capital on August 24, 1814. Probably 99 out of 100 Americans are blissfully unaware of it. Despite the fury of WWII, enemies rather quickly became allies.

There is a poison to hanging on to the past so passionately it brings on new wars and discord.

Hello Recep Ivedik,

I'm going to point out that your method of addressing my post was not to come up to me with open hands, but to draw a sword and start swinging. You need to work on that. A few clarifications, not all devsirme were castrated, only those who were to work in harems. Many Devsirme ended up working in the sex trade in bath houses, something I noticed you didn't mention. The price of a light skinned boy could be 10-100 times that of other slaves. They chose devsirme for their looks, hence the reason parents disfiguring their son's faces. I have studied history and I know that many crusaders went to Israel poor men and came back very rich. I also know many men who went on Jihads came back rich as well. My point is that men wage war in the name of religion, but the reasons then and now are relatively the same, the pursuit of material wealth. This is why I say religion, specifically organized religious orders, are the poison of spirituality.

Now this isn't the thread to discuss this, if we want to discuss the practices of the Ottomans I would be happy to, just start a new thread. I don't want to continue this discussion here, because it has is a sensitive topic and not necessarily in line with the intention of the original post. If you want to reply to what I've posted, please feel free to cut and paste it into a new thread I am starting in the off-topic section on the Ottoman Empire and I'll be happy to respond.

Also, I said explicitly that nothing justifies these kinds of atrocities, but that without understanding the underlying causes there is no way to really stop them from happening.

I had no malice in my heart when I started this thread, rather you responded emotionally to what I said without understanding the context, which is that many people use religion to justify their actions. It happens on this forum and elsewhere. I am a firm believer that if a man is only acting righteous to appease a higher power, then his actions are worthless. It is only when someone does an act out of compassion, with not motive other than compassion, that his actions are virtuous.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Well when I was taught history in an English Primary School back in the fifties the text books were still gloating about 'our' brave Redcoats capturing Washington.

Turns out they were all drunk as skunks and behaved execrably.

Similar thing with Napoleon, figure of hate in our text books back then was Napoleon, not so in the French equivalents.

Tom Paine, England's greatest gift to the free world and American democracy...

Not a flippin' word about old Tom were we taught.

Powerful thing is 'education' those who control the primary (US elementary) school curriculum influence the future in subtle ways.

Edited by GrandmasterP