Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

4,525 posts in this topic

,In the interest of the ancient culture surrounding Chi Kung, I have just started reading, "Seven Taoist Masters". Will my past English teachers forgive me for starting the above sentence with a preposition? 

Really good eternal, universal truth teachings. Wisdom, in other words, based on what happens when a chi cultivator achieves Awakening. How the Divine or Spirit then works thru his higher state of consciousness and the resulting change in perceptions and behaviors spontaneously. It is taught in this novel via fascinating stories. Translated by Eva Wong. 

Edited by tao stillness
4 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read the same book and every book by Eva Wong is wonderful reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys.

I was about to order Sifu Garrys Sunn Yee Gong but on the last page people are saying it is confusing and not to bother.

 

I want to order FP instead.

 

But I have issues with something called dyspraxia, I find it hard to get breathing and standing nailed at the same time and was wondering how successful this would be if I just bought level 2 dvd - the 6 sitting meditations?

I am trying to find a system that will aid my meditation, by sending energy from my body to my brain for use during meditation, or ojas as it is known.

Thank you

1 person thanks this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

With dyspraxia maybe Zhan Zuang would be a suitable practice? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 11:56 AM, tao stillness said:

In terms of   music to accompany chi kung I almost always listen to one of the Asian themed albums by Oliver Shanti available on YouTube. I tried the Weightless piece by Marconi but I don't like New Age sounding tunes while doing chi kung. 

I'm with you on that note, Steve.  new age type music doesn't do much of anything for me.  Just like "new age prose", as Harold Bloom put it, new age prose "has a vapidity that's not to be believed".  Remember all that new age music in the 80's?--where is it now?  It was like bad Chinese food, once is passed, it's forgotten about except as a must to avoid.  Just my two bits, imao.


I appreciate the Marconi Union's "Weightless" piece for what it is, and it being the product of the group's scientific approach to creating "relaxation music".  But beautiful melodies don't come from the left brain alone.  I'm friends with several genius musicians (one made list of Time magazine's 100 most influential Americans 2 yrs ago--when he was 25 yrs old)_ and I know from being in their presence--just hanging out-- how infinitely their creative consciousness's reach. 

I just looked up Oliver Shanti on Youtube and the first piece on this music video is one that I've been using for past 5-6 years in my Qigong and Tai Chi classes.  I found it back then in a  Wudangshan documentary.  Maybe it's an Oliver Shanti original--I don't know.  But it's one of my favorites.

 

Enjoy if you haven't heard this already.

 

Sifu Terry

 

P.S.  Remember:  my next and final east coast FP Qigong workshop is in 6 days at Eastover Estate:

 

http://www.eastover.com/workshop/flying-phoenix-qigong-with-master-terence-dunn.html

 

 

2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver Shanti is great music to train by. Thanks Tao Stillness.

 

Question 1:

 

The Bending the Bows-like move sequence that is repeated in Wind Above the Clouds and Wind Through the Treetops. I have a question about the part where you move toward Monk Gazing at Moon.

 

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon. But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

 

Question 2:

I'm planning to play Bending the Bows until I can do 18 repetitions (relatively) effortlessly. What is a good practice time and speed for this task? I was thinking 2 minutes per Bending the Bows for a total of 36 minutes.

 

If I go as slow as possible for BTB how many rounds do you advise?

 

Maybe in the far future I have the time and stamina to try a 18x 5 minutes practice of BTB, but I promised myself not to strive to hard and let my Gong develop naturally and without strife and (too much) effort.

 

Thanks & Namaste!

 

Question 3:

This is a little weirder question.

 

Are there powerwords, mantra's or such that have good synergy with FP practice? I like to do some sort of simple opening and closing ritual. I sometimes invite Feng Tao Teh into the practice space, and thought about writing some sort of invocation. Any  thoughts or ideas? I like to keep it simple so just opening and closing with gratitude might do the trick...

Who was the Goddess who reportedly inspired the reception of FP?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after a wild thanksgiving weekend   ... the grandsons  3 and 5 yrs  are just too cute and too m u c h  fun!

yesterday and today i easily broke 35 min practice of the long form  right side yesterday  mirror image today.

 

Sunday I fell on some rocks climbing a short slope and put a nice welt on my right shin ..  I can feel it pulsing ( in a good sense )

in several of the positions.   Seems like it is healing rapidly.   at my age that is pretty remarkable ... (just turned 77 )

 

long term consistent practice pays dividends!

 

Peace to all beings   

charlie

 

2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 1:37 AM, zen-bear said:

 

 

 

:) Thank you for sharing, this music was very "moving", makes something start moving within me. 

 

The Pentatonic scale was originally developed by the ancient Chinese with respect to Yin and Yang - Yin being perfect 4ths and Yang being perfect 5ths. Curiously everything else in the chinese system seems to go in fives, like the pentatonic scale with 5 notes, like 5-elements or 5-organ-systems. 

 

Being from an Eastern orchestra in the past, I was ear-trained in Cello and could tell that there were discrepancies in high pitches between Western equal-temperament notes (which are like averages) and the sharp-precise tones of Eastern music.

 

As Eastern music increases in pitch, the deviations become wider and wider, whereas Western music tends to try to 'constrict', 'average' and "mathematize". As such Eastern high pitches then to be deviated by several frequencies when compared to Western pitches. For example, a C note in a low octave will be the same as the C note in a much higher octave for Western music; a C note in a low octave will be slightly lower compared to the higher-octave C in Asian music.

 

Kind of similar to how modern scientific thinking is all about "categorizing", "averaging" and calculating, whereas Eastern philosophy is about moving along with nature and harmony.

Edited by taoguy
5 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I discovered Oliver Shanti albums in a similar way as Sifu Terry did. I saw a YouTube video of a Wudang Shan master doing qigong to this wonderful Asian modern music that fit the qigong movements perfectly. So I emailed the master asking the name of the music. He gave me the name of the right musician, Oliver Shanti, but he gave me an incorrect title to that piece of music. But I later found the correct piece from Shanti. It is great sounding but a little to fast for slow moving qigong forms. I can't recall the name of the track now, however but I think I still have in my favorites file. 

1 person thanks this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 2:27 PM, tao stillness said:

,In the interest of the ancient culture surrounding Chi Kung, I have just started reading, "Seven Taoist Masters". Will my past English teachers forgive me for starting the above sentence with a preposition? 

Really good eternal, universal truth teachings. Wisdom, in other words, based on what happens when a chi cultivator achieves Awakening. How the Divine or Spirit then works thru his higher state of consciousness and the resulting change in perceptions and behaviors spontaneously. It is taught in this novel via fascinating stories. Translated by Eva Wong. 

Hi Steve,
Thanks for sharing this reading.  I will put it on my list because Eva Wong is one of the most reliable and authoratative translators of Taoist canons, scriptures, poetry, and prose.  She herself is a feng-sui expert and I have her early books on feng-shui tradition.
Happy Holidays.
Sifu Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 9:02 PM, taoguy said:

 

:) Thank you for sharing, this music was very "moving", makes something start moving within me. 

 

The Pentatonic scale was originally developed by the ancient Chinese with respect to Yin and Yang - Yin being perfect 4ths and Yang being perfect 5ths. Curiously everything else in the chinese system seems to go in fives, like the pentatonic scale with 5 notes, like 5-elements or 5-organ-systems. 

 

Being from an Eastern orchestra in the past, I was ear-trained in Cello and could tell that there were discrepancies in high pitches between Western equal-temperament notes (which are like averages) and the sharp-precise tones of Eastern music.

 

As Eastern music increases in pitch, the deviations become wider and wider, whereas Western music tends to try to 'constrict', 'average' and "mathematize". As such Eastern high pitches then to be deviated by several frequencies when compared to Western pitches. For example, a C note in a low octave will be the same as the C note in a much higher octave for Western music; a C note in a low octave will be slightly lower compared to the higher-octave C in Asian music.

 

Kind of similar to how modern scientific thinking is all about "categorizing", "averaging" and calculating, whereas Eastern philosophy is about moving along with nature and harmony.

Hi Winston,

 

I didn't know that you were a cello-ist on top of being a man of medicine. 

 

Wonderful that your training in Eastern orchestral music enabled to  tell that there were discrepancies in high pitches between Western equal-temperament notes (which are like averages) and the sharp-precise tones of Eastern music.  Thank you for your explanation of how western music and eastern music differ by octaves when it comes to higher pitches, and your observation that western music tends to "mathematicize" and average.

 

Kind of similar to how modern scientific thinking is all about "categorizing", "averaging" and calculating, whereas Eastern philosophy is about moving along with nature and harmony.

 

The natural-born musical genii that I have the good fortune and privilege to know just channel in gorgeous melodies from another plane (as per their own words) that seems heavenly to me.  There is no construction, no calculation, no averaging.  just a spontaneous outpouring of original, natural aural beauty.  That type of creative process is represented by the Ace of Cups and the Star (XVII trump) card in the Crowley Tarot.  [Yes, I am once again citing Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot deck because his collaboration with Israel Regardie and Lady Frieda Harris to create that deck--designed for master alchemists to identify and uproot evil, by the way--is itself a work of spiritual genius left for the new Aeon.  And if anyone takes issue with this like whoever that was back around Year 3 or so of this thread, you can go back and read my long refutation of that simple-minded false belief that Crowley was a black magician.]  There are, of course, great composers who have a mathematical approach.  I am certainly not saying that those who calculate, average, and "mathematicize" do not make beautiful works of art and music. One of my favorite mathematical musicians is Steven Sondheim. '

 

 

 

But am relating the spontaneous creation of a song to the alchemy represented by the Ace of Cups and the Star cards in the Crowley Tarot:

 

thestar_thothtarotmajorarcana.jpg.jpg

 

 

Happy Holidays,

 

Sifu Terry

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

 

 

Edited by zen-bear
2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night was the first session of my fourth 22-hour immersive workshop in FP Qigong at Eastover Estate in 2017. 7 more sessions ending at noon on Sunday, Dec. 3

 

Last night's gentle and easy two hour session was also quite dynamic:  it covered these meditations in this order with not more than a 2-minute break between each one.

 

1.  Moonbeam Splashes on Water:    two rounds -- 20 minutes

 

2.  Wind Above the Clouds:  -- two rounds --  10 minutes

 

3.  Bending the Bows:  7 rounds -- 30 minutes  (Taking 12 breathes to raise arms + 12 breathes to lower arms.  In other words, each repetition book a minimum of 48 breathes.)

 

4.  Monk Gazing At Moon -- 10 minutes.

 

5.  Monk Holding Peach -- 10 minutes

 

6.  Wind Through Treetops -- 2 rounds:  10 minutes

 

7.  Monk Holding Pearl:  done in supine position for 15 minutes.

 

 

Happy Holidays.

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

 

Monk Holding Peach(9x5).jpg

Edited by zen-bear
2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2017 at 8:29 AM, phil said:

 

With dyspraxia maybe Zhan Zuang would be a suitable practice? :) 

Dyspraxia in children is treated a number of ways, depending on its severity.  While there is no known cure, there are treatments to improve a person's planning and execution of physical movement, basic everyday skills, specialized skills, etc.

 

Without knowing the age of the person with dyspraxia nor the severity of the condition, I would say that (A)  Zhan Zhuang practice may help;  but that (B)  Tai Chi and other holistic martial arts and movement therapies are probably more effective as treatment.  Zhan Zhuang is an essential component in Tai Chi postures and therefore Tai Chi form practice--as well as Xing-I practice as a function of Zhan Zhuang's origin and evolution.

 

As you may know, the general categories of treating dyspraxia are:

Speech and language therapy

Perceptual motor training

Equine therapy for dyspraxia

Active Play

 

** BTW, Over the past 3 weeks, I had substantial discussion and practices with  Baguazhang and Sheng Zhen Qigong Master Li Junfeng (former coach of the Chinese national wushu team throughout the 1980's and 90's) and with Grandmaster Wang Rengang of Da Cheng Chuan about Zhan Zhuang.  All the Flying Phoenix Qigong standing meditations, starting with "Monk Gazing AT Moon" and ending with the five 90-second meditations (as taught on Volume 5 of the CKFH DVD series) incorporate all the postural and neuro muscular principles of Zhan Zhuang,  but redirects those classical principles to cultivate the distinctive and unique FP Healing Energy with each one of its unique breath control sequences (e.g., 60 40 20 for Monk Gazing at Moon).

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

 

 

6 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This evening's 2-hour FP Qigong Workshop session at Eastover Estate covered these thirteen FP Meditations practiced for these durations  as indicated (no breaks), and  in this order:

 

Moonbeam Splashes on Water - 3 rounds - 20 min.

 

Wind Above the Clouds - 3 rounds:  12 min.

 

Bending the Bows - 15 min.

 

Monk Gazing At Moon - 10 min.

 

Monk Holding Peach - 15 min.

 

Wind Through Treetops - 2 rounds - 15

 

90 second standing Meditation (70 40 30 20) 3x = 10 min.

 

90 second standing Meditation  (90 50 40 20) 3x = 10 min.

 

Monk Holding Pearl (Supine) - 10 min.

 

Preparatory Seated Meditation 50 10 50 = 5 min.

 

Preparatory Seated Meditation  5 60 80 40 30 = 8 min.

 

Monk Serves Wine #4:  80 70 50 30  - 7 rounds - 20 min.

 

Monk serves Wine #7:   20 40 90 10 - 7 rounds = 20 min.

 

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

 

 

Monk Peach 9x5.jpg

Edited by zen-bear
3 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the Crowley Star card it is interesting that the figure in front of the sphere with the way she is curved actually turns it into the Taoist yin-yang symbol which I forget is either properly called tai chi or taiji . I just could not understand the Crowley deck so I donated my deck to the local metaphysical bookstore a few years ago. Is there any book available that simplifies the understanding of that unique deck? I have been using the Rider-Waite tarot system for about 25 years and the synchronicity of information from the tarot system is pretty impressive. It becomes even more impressive when authentic psychics use the tarot. I still fail to understand how it works but I do know that it does work, and that has been good enough for me. If I had the right book for the Crowley tarot I would order another Crowley deck. I will have to research if there is any book out there that interprets the method in Taoist terms.

1 person thanks this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Zhan Zhaung postures do produce a strong sensation of chi for sure. But the sensation still feels much different than what I have felt from doing the Flying Phoenix movements or static postures. The resulting sensations from FP chi field has a more satisfying and compelling feel to it. 

3 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 7:41 AM, tao stillness said:

Looking at the Crowley Star card it is interesting that the figure in front of the sphere with the way she is curved actually turns it into the Taoist yin-yang symbol which I forget is either properly called tai chi or taiji . I just could not understand the Crowley deck so I donated my deck to the local metaphysical bookstore a few years ago. Is there any book available that simplifies the understanding of that unique deck? I have been using the Rider-Waite tarot system for about 25 years and the synchronicity of information from the tarot system is pretty impressive. It becomes even more impressive when authentic psychics use the tarot. I still fail to understand how it works but I do know that it does work, and that has been good enough for me. If I had the right book for the Crowley tarot I would order another Crowley deck. I will have to research if there is any book out there that interprets the method in Taoist terms.

Hi Steve,

Here are some of the best books that explain the Crowley deck:

 

1)  A very good manual for understanding and using the Crowley deck (and the first one my mentor told me to get in the early 90's) is Mirror of the Soul by Zeigler.

https://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Mirror-Handbook-Aleister-Crowley/dp/0877286833/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0877286833&pd_rd_r=RA111PMWFMAAEX3FT7E0&pd_rd_w=GjUEr&pd_rd_wg=CKIEz&psc=1&refRID=RA111PMWFMAAEX3FT7E0

 

2)   Perhaps the best is Understanding Crowley's Thoth Tarot by  Lon Milo DuQuette.  Just excellent:
https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Aleister-Crowleys-Thoth-Tarot/dp/157863623X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=157863623X&pd_rd_r=W6GTSVZGZ7EA3SYNKW2J&pd_rd_w=j3p1B&pd_rd_wg=G7dq5&psc=1&refRID=W6GTSVZGZ7EA3SYNKW2J

 

3)  Another very popular manual on the deck is New Age Tarto by James Wanless, who created the New Age Tarot deck:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Tarot-Guide-Thoth/dp/0961507918/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512631356&sr=1-1&keywords=new+age+tarot+james+wanless

 

4)  And another good reference is Crowley's own book about his deck:

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Thoth-Short-Egyptians-Equinox/dp/0877282684/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G4FA6A7MD8MB8Y6PFD97

 

How i was taught to use the Crowley tarot was to take the time and energy to meditate visually on every card until one has memorized all of them in detail and is able to visualize each card with eyes closed.  it takes a long time and great concentration to accomplish this.  But is well worth the eye-brain-spirit exercise if one wants to make maximum use of this oracle.  Crowley, Israel Regardie, and Lady Frieda Harris put their differences aside (they didn't like one another much) and collaborated to create this deck per Crowley's vision, and created a deck that is used by high level white magicians to uproot corruption.  That's what it's designed for.  If one is called to do works and is versed in the Crowley deck, the progress of one's operations in undoing black magick is revealed in one's waking visions or nocturnal dreamstates with the elements, tools, animals, and persons in the cards animating.

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reposting this question to Sifu Terry or anyone who can answer:

 

From a question that Cihan mentioned in an earlier post about the Five Flash Meditations on Vol.5, the last one coming from Baat Din Gum: it can be done again and again repeatedly much like Bending the Bows, after one breath control sequence, yes? If so, how many repetitions do you recommend, 18 like in BtB? 

1 person thanks this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 1:10 AM, Frederic said:

Oliver Shanti is great music to train by. Thanks Tao Stillness.

 

Question 1:

 

The Bending the Bows-like move sequence that is repeated in Wind Above the Clouds and Wind Through the Treetops. I have a question about the part where you move toward Monk Gazing at Moon.

 

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon. But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

 

Question 2:

I'm planning to play Bending the Bows until I can do 18 repetitions (relatively) effortlessly. What is a good practice time and speed for this task? I was thinking 2 minutes per Bending the Bows for a total of 36 minutes.

 

If I go as slow as possible for BTB how many rounds do you advise?

 

Maybe in the far future I have the time and stamina to try a 18x 5 minutes practice of BTB, but I promised myself not to strive to hard and let my Gong develop naturally and without strife and (too much) effort.

 

Thanks & Namaste!

 

Question 3:

This is a little weirder question.

 

Are there powerwords, mantra's or such that have good synergy with FP practice? I like to do some sort of simple opening and closing ritual. I sometimes invite Feng Tao Teh into the practice space, and thought about writing some sort of invocation. Any  thoughts or ideas? I like to keep it simple so just opening and closing with gratitude might do the trick...

Who was the Goddess who reportedly inspired the reception of FP?

 

hello Frederic,

 

Answers to your questions in blue: 

 

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon.


The premise of your question is wrong:  It is in Bending the Bows and  and Wind through Treetops that the "hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon"--but not in "Wind Above the Clouds."   The hands do move in a wide horizontal circle and at throat level, but they do not move towards the Monk Gazing At Moon (or "hugging the egg" configuration of the arms and chest).   

 

But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

I think you are confused:   the wider circle in Wind Through Treetops is NOT towards Monk Gazing At Moon.  it is horizontal and stays at throat level. Call this "Part A".   

The second circling of the arms in WTT is vertical towards the "hugging the egg" shape of  Monk Gazing At Moon position.  Call it "Part B."

 

 

I'm planning to play Bending the Bows until I can do 18 repetitions (relatively) effortlessly. What is a good practice time and speed for this task? I was thinking 2 minutes per Bending the Bows for a total of 36 minutes.

2 minutes per repetition is a very good speed to practice BTB.

In my classes and workshops, I tell students to take a minimum of 12 breathes to riase the arms in Part A and  a minimum of 12 breathes to lower the arms in Part A;  minimum of 12 breathes to raise the arms towards Monk Gaziing At Moon shape in Part B, and a minimum of 12 breathes to lower the arms from that position. 

 

If I go as slow as possible for BTB how many rounds do you advise?

Up to 18 is standard practice.  Do as many as as you have time for.
I have taken as much as 70 minutes to do 18 rounds of Bending the Bows.

 

 Good luck and enjoy your practice.

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

 

 

1 person thanks this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Reposting this question to Sifu Terry or anyone who can answer:

 

From a question that Cihan mentioned in an earlier post about the Five Flash Meditations on Vol.5, the last one coming from Baat Din Gum: it can be done again and again repeatedly much like Bending the Bows, after one breath control sequence, yes? If so, how many repetitions do you recommend, 18 like in BtB? 

Hi Earl Grey,

 

Sorry to take so long to answer your question.  I just completed a 4-day FP Qigong workshop at Eastover Estate followed by an evening Tai Chi class.

 

No.  the last Meditation on Volume 5 is done "one round of the pre-choreographed movements with one breath-control sequence."  If you want to do multiple rounds of the movements, preface each round with usual 3 deep breathes plus the breath control sequence  (80 70 50 40 30).   And then count your self out of the meditation after one round of movements with 3 deep breathes. 

 

To reiterate In other words:  do repetitions of the movement sequence just like you would do more than one round of "Wind Above the Clouds":  do one breath control sequence with each round of movements.

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

 
2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Sifu Terry. I wasn't sure because of how it was worded in an earlier post, but glad that it's clarified to one repetition per breath control sequence. Hope you had a great time at Eastover Estate. Happy Holidays and looking forward to beginning training with you in 2018!

1 person thanks this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Music is an important complement to my qg tjq practices.  I definitely will give the Oliver Shanti a trial run.  

My recent accompaniment have been  Tibetan bells,  Bach Cello suites,  Carlos Nakai native flute,  and a few failures OM Advaita / Dvaita which sounds Arabic / Near east.  

I have a long love affair w Judy Collins.  So thanks for that posting.  Also Stephen Sondheim has interested me,  but only Send in the Clowns really captures my heart.

Finally  Philip Glass has taken up residence  for lots of reasons,  not the least that i had that amazing 40+ minute long form Flying Phoenix practice while listening to Metamorphosis ...  unfortunately it is too short!  I went well past the end of the piece.

Recently times  for  LFFP  have been  mostly in the 35 min range.  

Slowing down Sifu's long form on youtube  ( the 10 min performance) is really worth doing mirror image  ...  slow the player down to 0,5  speed  is a nice practice ... I do the breath control first then pause open eyes and follow Sifu  ... have not successfully done the 0.25  so far

 

practice peace with every form

 

charlie

2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  would like to share with everyone my experience yesterday of doing just part--one third-- of the FP Standing Long Form meditation (vol.4)--in a pubic place,even-- to extinguish the early symptoms of a cold that was coming on.

 

Yesterday, I had nice lunch with a FP student at a Japanese restaurant in town and then spent the rest of the afternoon Christmas shopping.  Shortly after the lunch and after walking my dog, I decided to have a latte at a nearby coffee house and downed a few oatmeal cookies as chasers.  About 3 hours later--I guess after the protein in the lunch had been digested and the sugar, dairy and caffeine hit my system--while in a department store I felt heavy, stagnant energy and had sniffles starting in one nostril.  After walking around a few more minutes and noticing that the symptoms weren't going away and that a cold was definitely setting on, I went to a corner of the dept. store (in front of the candle section) and subtly did 1/3 of the  Long Form Standing Meditation by making the most minimal general gestures for each moment--barely doing the movements.  I did the 90 60 5 50 40 breathing sequence, and the moment I completed the sequence, I felt the penetrating healing energy light up and steadily spread throughout my system--while simultaneously feeling the congestion, stagnation, and "inner dampness" suddenly disappear/clear up/vanish.  I didn't need to even mentally do the next arm floating up and down movement (like Tai Chi form opening).  So I took 3 breathes to end the meditation right then and there.

 

I did the gestures of the movements while mentally performing the form to its fullest.  By the time I finished the extension of both arms to shoulder level form the palms at the solar plexus position facing downward (that follows the 3 opening and closing movements in the big-frame wuchi position), I felt all the cold symptoms completely extinguished and my head was crystal clear and dry--without a sniffle.  "Extinguished" isn't best word because it connotes a firefighter putting out fire with water or retardant.  "Eradicated" is accurate because the restoration was thorough and speedy, but it doesn't capture the sublimity of the healing. I can also say that I felt the restoration to homeostasis on a cellular level. 

 

So that's my report.  I felt a cold definitely coming on.  I walked around with its starting symptoms for about 5 min. until I knew it would manifest into a full-blown cold if I didn't do something.  Then I did 1/3 of the FPHHCM Vol.4 exercise--with good mental concentration and only schematic/abbreviated movements.  No cold symptoms whatsoever from the time I took the terminating 3 full breathes onward.

 

Happy Holidays.

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
5 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2017 at 6:52 AM, shortstuff said:

Hi Guys.

I was about to order Sifu Garrys Sunn Yee Gong but on the last page people are saying it is confusing and not to bother.

 

I want to order FP instead.

 

But I have issues with something called dyspraxia, I find it hard to get breathing and standing nailed at the same time and was wondering how successful this would be if I just bought level 2 dvd - the 6 sitting meditations?

I am trying to find a system that will aid my meditation, by sending energy from my body to my brain for use during meditation, or ojas as it is known.

Thank you

Hello Shortstuff,
Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

 

My classmate Sifu Garry's Sunn Yee Gong training is authentic and powerful.

I know that it empowers our Bok Fu Pai kung fu.  FP Qigong i different in that it cultivates a purely healing energy that cannot be used for martial art at all.

 

You can certainly start with the seated meditations of Vol.2,  But know that the all the standing FP Meditations are more powerful than the seated ones, and they are essential to mastering the system.  I would advise you to try the standing meditations on Vol.1 and do the stationary standing ones for short durations to start and slowly work you way up to longer durations.  FP Qigong adds no stress the to system--given that the practitioner has no serious structural damage. 

 

I am trying to find a system that will aid my meditation, by sending energy from my body to my brain for use during meditation, or ojas as it is known.

 

Practitioners of numerous other meditations and yoga have found that FP Qigong enhances, stabilizes and makes more comfortable their meditative practice.  

 

You don't have to worry about sending energy from your body to the brain.  FP Qigong perfectly regulates the energy of all the orbs/organs through the central nervous system.  You do not want to willfully, consciously direct energy from the extremities to the brain.  I don't advise projecting that process nor entertatining it.  The basic holistic principle in. let's say Tui Na acupressure to make the body healthy and strong, is to "push" the energy from the heart to the extremities, and to only push the blood back to the heart.

 

Start doing Vol.2 , but do as much of Vol.1 as you can.

 

Good luck,

 

Sifu Terry Dunn

 

 

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
2 people thank this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now remember the Oliver Shanti track that was played while the Wudang chi kung master was demonstrating I think the Five Animals. It is called Sacral Nirvana. As I said in earlier post, it might be too fast for accompanying Flying Phoenix but I use it for other chi kung forms that I do that are faster paced. But it remains my favorite piece of music associated with chi kung. I use 2 other Oliver Shanti albums for doing most of my chi kung. There is another great piece of music that fits well with any style of chi kung and it is really unique. You can find it on you tube if you watch the trailers for Ed Rockett qigong. Ed was kind enough to email me that piece of music so I could put it on my computer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites