Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

4,390 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2017 at 0:56 AM, Earl Grey said:

It is 90 60 5 50 40 as on the DVD. 

If you saw it as 90 60 5 50 30 on this thread, it is a typing error of whoever posted.

Thanks, Earl Grey for the clarification.

That is the correct breath control sequence for the capstone meditation, FPHHCM, on Vol.4

Regards,

Sifu Terry

2 people thank this

Posted (edited)

Hello to the Flying Phoenix Qigong community:

I wish to share this lovely and lively review/critique that I just received today from a recent workshop attendee, Haim Dotan, an Israeli architect and poet who was educated in the U.S. (went to USC) and now works in Shanghai teaching design, poetry and creativity, and who recently attained worldwide fame for building the world's longest and highest glass-bottom bridge--across a fantastic gorge in Hunan mountains that has dramatically changed and boosed the local economy by attracting 3 million tourists a year to that relatively non-affluent part of China. It's also the highest bungee jumping platform in the world--at 300+ meters!

http://www.haimdotan.com/?CategoryID=274

Haim got a solid taste of the FP Qigong Qi Healing process and worked off stress and came to a solid, deep standing of healing with internal energy along with the rest of the merry crew at Eastover.   Oddly enough, his wife in NYC, who really didn't know much about me or  FP Qigong other than what she had read on the Eastover website, just signed him up for the workshop.  He says it's all due to his good karma that his wife sent him to the FP workshop(!)

I'm posting Haim's review because he honestly reported that the immersive training 3 sessions a day of 2.5 to 3 hours is not easy.  Because, as I told the workshop class:  "You are experiencing the meaning of the "Kung"(Gong)  in "Chi Kung" (QiGong).   If you want "stretch and tone and tea and sympathy", go to your local Mac-Yoga studio."     [No disrespect to traditional Indian Yoga traditions whatsoever, for I respect all yogic traditions from all cultures that impart verifiable and repeatable health and spiritual benefits and are truly transformative.  But, as I have made clear on this thread from early on, I have no respect for downstream hokum or flotsam from broken traditions stitched together with made-up stuff into "modern" programs by hucksters or dilettantes and palmed off as  "Qigong" that are actually quite useless and time-wasting.] 

So that's how I teach the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong.  And the results you can see on the videos that I posted on Page 175.  This  last workshop group has unanimously chimed back that it's well worth the effort--well worth the KUNG.  I will post the other reviews shortly.  But I wanted to start off with Haim's.

So for those of you might be "on the fence" in considering whether or not to attend one of my 3-day immersive workshops and receive 22+ hours of training, please read:

Received August 14, 2017:

Dear Terry, 

Your emails are wonderful and naturally full of positive energy (it's you). 

I have been away on vacation in the mountains and lakes of the Adirondacks NY with my family, about 15 people. No internet or very little and I did my best to refrain from work and emails. Now I am on the way to Mongolia to participate in the World Congress of Poets in the Gobi Desert. 

I thank you again for being you, Master Qi-gong and a wonderful friend.  

Your Phoenix Qi-gong, 3 day Healing Meditation in the Eastover Retreat in Lenox  Massachusetts, was a life breath in our 21st Century crazy world of information, money, stress and in many cases, unhappiness.  

First and foremost it is because of you, your inner beauty, your spiritual energy, personal care and friendship, your love of nature and people. 

The group of twelve of us, although so different in age, personalitiy, physique, gender, and capability, were loving and warm hearted people. 

The Retreat settings in the green forests  and wetlands, beautiful views, birds singing, fresh air and delicious organic food, were simply incredible.  

Your teachings, 3 daily sessions, although long and not easy, uplifted the spirit and taught us healthy breathing techniques.  

At the end I felt like a dancer again.  I started feeling my rhythm, feeling like in the flow of water or light moving winds. 

I have already recommended your wonderful Qi-gong healing Meditation to many friends. Although I am in China, I hope to participate in future sessions. 

Big hug, 

Sincerely yours, 

Haim

Prof. Haim Dotan

Shanghai Institute of Visual Arts 

Fudan University 

Shanghai 

Beijing DeTao Master Academy 

Thanks for your attention:

Sifu Terry

www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-2.html

Edited by zen-bear
2 people thank this

Posted (edited)

Hello Flying Phoenix Qigong Enthusisasts:

Here is another review/critique of the July 27-30 that I received on Saturday from an attendee, Sam Weng, who is from Pennsylvania.  I hope this and other reviews will encourage more people to "cross the great water" (figuratively or literally) and attend my FP Qigong workshops so that they will feel first-hand the undeniable truth from time immemorial that "perseverance furthers" .  And realize that this judgement from the I Ching (Book of Changes) is especially so when it comes to a 22-hour immersive FP Qigong training:

Received August 12, 2017:

Dear Sifu Terry Dunn,

here's a review; let me know if you have any editing suggestions for length, content, grammar, etc...

Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations is an authentic system created in the 17th century by the legendary Taoist kung fu master, Feng Tao Teh (Feng Do Duk) and faithfully preserved across seven generations.  As a strictly medical qigong, with little to no potential for abuse or misuse, the keepers of this art have deemed it unnecessary to keep the breath control sequences secret, as in other types of qigong and martial arts.  It is the breath control sequences which ignite and catalyze the unique energetic healing properties of these meditations.  The specific breathing formulas are a crucial element that make FPHHCM a rare and powerful system of transformative movements and postures accessible to the beginning student.

Sifu Terry Dunn, in addition to being the 7th generation lineage holder of FPHHCM, is also a great teacher.  He is able to patiently guide students through all the movements, postures and breathing formulas with clear and concise language while performing the meditations in great form for students to mirror.  He also makes himself available to answer students' questions in a thoughtful, compassionate manner.  To get a sense of his teaching persona, read through a few pages of this blog with a thread dedicated to FPHHCM, where Sifu Terry Dunn has been answering students' questions and providing hints and gems and great stories regarding the practice of qigong and martial arts and life in general for 8 years and counting:  
https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/

While the Chi Kung for Health DVDs are an excellent resource for learning and practicing FPHHCM at home, having the opportunity to practice in a group setting under Sifu Terry's guidance provided a solid foundation to continue my path in integrating FPHHCM into my life.  Spending some time with like-minded individuals, enjoying the beauty of Eastover, enjoying the healthy food, and basking in the peaceful calm and heightened sense of wellbeing that practicing FPHHCM imparts was also a wonderful experience.

Sam Weng

[Sam is the dapper Chinese gent seen in the photo below, fourth from the right:]

7-30-17_Eastover_Group_DSC01655(80).jpg

Edited by zen-bear
3 people thank this

Posted (edited)

This review just came in today from another Eastover workshop attendee, Spencer Lawrence from NYC, who is seen in the above photo standing third from the left:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Please use the following testimonial as you'd like:

I was truly excited and grateful for the opportunity to learn and practice the Flying Phoenix Qigong system with Sifu Terry Dunn at Eastover Estate, and the experience exceeded my expectations. To receive teachings and personal instruction directly from the master and sole preserver of this remarkable art was invaluable. The unique healing energy of Flying Phoenix was amazingly tangible from the start and only got stronger as the days passed. By the end of the workshop, I was so saturated with the energy that the first comment my girlfriend made upon seeing me was that I looked younger.

As a teacher, Sifu Dunn provides clear directions and personal attention. He is personable, open and approachable, and happily willing to share the impressive amount of knowledge he holds of a variety of internal and martial arts. We were even fortunate enough to learn some movements and meditations from other rare and unpublished systems he has mastered. 

I had only practiced Flying Phoenix Qigong sparingly for a couple months before attending the workshop. The three day immersive program not only confirmed the potency of this system for me but also boosted my practice as I've noticed a significant difference in my ability to sense and generate its unique energy. Whether you have little or no Qigong experience or are an advanced practitioner, I highly recommend attending this transformative workshop at the idyllic Eastover Estate. 

Feel free to remove the comment regarding the unpublished systems if you prefer it not be mentioned. Also, thank you for your comments about my performing BTB. It's definitely one of my favorite meditations, and I find that even when I try to speed up (2-3 min per round) for time's sake, there comes a point when the movement/energy automatically takes over and slows me down to 4-5 minutes per round. I'll also be sure to continue making my way through the forum. It's an unbelievable resource. I've registered for the next workshop, and I'll be attending the third in October with my girlfriend as well. Thanks again, and see you soon!

Best,
Spencer

www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-3.html
Edited by zen-bear
5 people thank this

So happy for the people who went for it, sounds amazing. :) 

I would totally go too if not for the fact that I'm from opposite the globe. Blessings!

2 people thank this

Posted (edited)

Ditto - I wonder what the chance of a global workshop tour down the road is... ;)

Edit: That bridge is incredible :o It looks like something out of a Star Wars movie...

L0_0644_0382_Bridge-1.jpg

Bridge-2.jpg

L0_0644_0382_Bridge-5.jpg

I'm usually down on a lot of modern architecture, but that's a genuine work of art. Damn.

Spoiler

(Nothing in here, the DB formatting is just bugged out)

Edited by Aeran
3 people thank this

And I just received this nice note of thanks from a couple, Tony and Corinne Aecuri, who attended the Flying Phoenix Workshop at Eastover in July. announcing a longer review still to come:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thank you for the email and your kind words.  Corinne and I throughly enjoyed the workshop material, your insightful teaching style, the group comraderie and the beautiful location.  The synergy created by all of that made for a truly unforgettable weekend.  My experience with you last November in NYC was a great introduction but, the weekend at Eastover was a true immersion; a baptism by fire!

I'm taking a personal day tomorrow and plan to work on a review of the workshop as you requested. I'll incorporate some of this email and elaborate a bit.  In addition I will post something on Facebook and the Dao Bums (for the first time).

Regarding the videos on the web; no problem as Corinne and I are flattered.  She is telling her friends that she is "almost famous".

Just an idea about putting the word out in NYC; have you heard of the Open Center? https://www.opencenter.org/
They host various new age events and programs.  Some chi kung, meditation and Tai chi are always included. If you taught a workshop there it might help create interest beyond their venue.
I'll send you my review soon.  Until then best wishes!

Tony & Corinne

Registration info for Aug. 29 - Sept. 1  FP Workshop:  
www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-2.html
2 people thank this

To all FP Qigong practitioners:

Please share this report just in about the last Flying Phoenix Qigong workshop at Eastover Estate (July 27-30) with ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND SIGNIFICANT OTHERS WHO CARE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT QIGONG, TAI CHI OR ANYTHING MEDITATIVE, OR KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT YOGIC ARTS!!   For me, Corinne's report below is perhaps the most enjoyable and delightful response I've received yet! 

--a fine and surprising testament to the healing power of Flying Phoenix Qigong to facilitate the sublime Samadhic state, what the Tibetans call "NATURAL MOOD."    LOL:

Hellooo Terence,

I would like to add my grain of salt to the comments on the seminar in the Berkshire.

First of all, I was not really interested in the Flying Phoenix meditation.  My husband was. I had the options to stay home for the WE or , tag along . And so I came . I was prepared, I brought with me a 300 pages book, in case I got bored.
Everything changed on the first night . When I told you I was just an accompaniment, you nicely included me right then and there. From that moment on , my fate was sealed . I went to all the classes, barely reading 4 pages of my book.

Yes , sometimes I got dazed and confused with the breathing, sometimes I messed up the sequences, but that did not stopped me. I really enjoyed it .

What I appreciated the most during those 3 days : the relaxed schedule.

What I found delightful: the free form "moving hands like clouds " Sunday morning. ( Thank you Haim to show us that we are all spirited dancers.  And Agnes your infinity moves will be forever in our minds ).

Most of all Terence , I cherished your Flying Phoenix magic to bring us happiness together.

Thanks to you and all my partners in crime for that Week end . 

Corinne Arcuri

Next 3-day FP Workshop at Eastover starts in 13 days!:

www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-3.html

Edited by zen-bear
2 people thank this

I was just a little curious, seeing that Sifu Terry has knowledge in the yogic arts. Does FP somehow help in building the "Yang Shen", the immortal fetus or in Buddhism, the mind-generated body (mano-kaya)? Or would that be more of TTP?

2 people thank this

On 8/17/2017 at 0:28 AM, taoguy said:

I was just a little curious, seeing that Sifu Terry has knowledge in the yogic arts. Does FP somehow help in building the "Yang Shen", the immortal fetus or in Buddhism, the mind-generated body (mano-kaya)? Or would that be more of TTP?

Hi Taoguy,

I'm not  familiar with the term "immortal fetus" or Yang Shen --not even within the context of Secret of the Golden Flower.  

There is in Taoist literature the Spiritual Embryo or  Immortal Embryo (sheng tai), which is the core or essential energy of the human being that starts as a small embryo and through yogic cultivation is enlarged to an energy body.  If that's what you're referring to, then yes, both FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai cultivate the energy body of the human starting with its embryonic form.

I think you mean  manomayakāya or manomaya-kaya, if you referring to the Buddhist term for "a body created by the mind."

The term -kaya as in "dharma-kaya" does not mean a physical body.  It is often used to mean a collection or group of something.  I don't think that this term, manomayakāya,  lliterally means a physical human body created by the mind.  My hunch is that the term means the Buddha's perfection.

While I know what this  sanskrit term manomaya-kaya translates into in English, I am not familiar with this term in any yogic context.  I have never heard it and any similar term used used in Tao Tan Pai practice nor have I heard it or any similar term used in Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.  Although many have reported seeing images of Buddhist iconography while practicing FP Qigong, my teacher, GM Doo Wai, told me that FP Qigong is a pure Taoist system.

Tao Tan Pai is a particularly Shen-driven Qigong system and is a syncretic Taoist-Buddhist system. Flying Phoenix applies and cultivates Shen-Qi quite differently than TTP.   But both systems cultivate the energy body, which can be referred to as the Spiritual Embryo.  Both Qigong systems can be powerful catalysts in transforming the practitioner into the dharma-kaya.

Sifu Terry Dunn

3 people thank this

As I practice Flying Phoenix, it becomes clearer to me how appropriately it is named. The "feng" (phoenix) relates to happiness and well-being; health and vitality and fertility and creativity.  It's a quantum increase in life-force, that nourishes and strengthens both our inner spirit and our outer body.

Maybe that's a bit vague, by yogic standards--but so far that's what I'm feeling.   :)

2 people thank this

17 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hi Taoguy,

I'm not  familiar with the term "immortal fetus" or Yang Shen --not even within the context of Secret of the Golden Flower.  

There is in Taoist literature the Spiritual Embryo or  Immortal Embryo (sheng tai), which is the core or essential energy of the human being that starts as a small embryo and through yogic cultivation is enlarged to an energy body.  If that's what you're referring to, then yes, both FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai cultivate the energy body of the human starting with its embryonic form.

I think you mean  manomayakāya or manomaya-kaya, if you referring to the Buddhist term for "a body created by the mind."

The term -kaya as in "dharma-kaya" does not mean a physical body.  It is often used to mean a collection or group of something.  I don't think that this term, manomayakāya,  lliterally means a physical human body created by the mind.  My hunch is that the term means the Buddha's perfection.

While I know what this  sanskrit term manomaya-kaya translates into in English, I am not familiar with this term in any yogic context.  I have never heard it and any similar term used used in Tao Tan Pai practice nor have I heard it or any similar term used in Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.  Although many have reported seeing images of Buddhist iconography while practicing FP Qigong, my teacher, GM Doo Wai, told me that FP Qigong is a pure Taoist system.

Tao Tan Pai is a particularly Shen-driven Qigong system and is a syncretic Taoist-Buddhist system. Flying Phoenix applies and cultivates Shen-Qi quite differently than TTP.   But both systems cultivate the energy body, which can be referred to as the Spiritual Embryo.  Both Qigong systems can be powerful catalysts in transforming the practitioner into the dharma-kaya.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you for explaining the systems Sifu.

I think it does mean "collection" in dharma-kaya. I think I also agree that it might not be a 'physical' body, perhaps similar to an astral body. For manomayakaya in the Pali literature of the Suttas (Samannaphala Sutta) here is what was written:

Spoiler

The Mind-made Body

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to creating a mind-made body. From this body he creates another body, endowed with form, made of the mind, complete in all its parts, not inferior in its faculties. Just as if a man were to draw a reed from its sheath. The thought would occur to him: 'This is the sheath, this is the reed. The sheath is one thing, the reed another, but the reed has been drawn out from the sheath.' Or as if a man were to draw a sword from its scabbard. The thought would occur to him: 'This is the sword, this is the scabbard. The sword is one thing, the scabbard another, but the sword has been drawn out from the scabbard.' Or as if a man were to pull a snake out from its slough. The thought would occur to him: 'This is the snake, this is the slough. The snake is one thing, the slough another, but the snake has been pulled out from the slough.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, the monk directs and inclines it to creating a mind-made body. From this body he creates another body, endowed with form, made of the mind, complete in all its parts, not inferior in its faculties. This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.

Supranormal Powers

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to the modes of supranormal powers. He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts, and mountains as if through space. He dives in and out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting cross-legged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches and strokes even the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds. Just as a skilled potter or his assistant could craft from well-prepared clay whatever kind of pottery vessel he likes, or as a skilled ivory-carver or his assistant could craft from well-prepared ivory any kind of ivory-work he likes, or as a skilled goldsmith or his assistant could craft from well-prepared gold any kind of gold article he likes; in the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to the modes of supranormal powers... He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.

This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.

I believe this is the body that Bodhisattvas and Buddhas appear to us in (maybe nirmanakaya?), perhaps also synonymous with the Tibetan rainbow bodies or vajra-body (diamond-body). I think it is called the Merkabah in Jewish mysticism. The "immortal fetus or seed" reference comes from the book Taoist Yoga translated by Charles Luk (page 130). But I see the point, because Nan Huai Jin, the Chan master, always said that focusing on awakening to Tao or the dharmakaya is much more important than acquiring a 'body' because they come from emptiness anyway. :)

1 person thanks this

I had a very nice meditation tonight which I'll share. While doing MSW, I decided to contemplate the Queen Mother of the West (Xi Wang Mu). I started feeling a bliss more than usual for me; and on top of that the image of a peach came to me and the taste of it in my mouth. I can still taste it. :) 

When Sifu wrote that GMDW told him Flying Phoenix was a Daoist practice, the idea came to me to focus on Xi Wang Mu, who is the preeminent Daoist Mother and the bestower of prosperity, longevity, and eternal bliss.

Anyway, it was a wonderful experience.

The Daoist sage Zhuang-zi wrote, ""The Queen Mother of the West obtained it [the Dao] and took up her seat at Shao Guang [mountain]. No one knows her beginning; no one knows her end." 

1 person thanks this

Here is a ceramic painting of Xi Wang Mu riding her phoenix. The white tiger is also her special animal.   :)

Xi Wang Mu riding phoenix.jpg

Edited by Songshou
3 people thank this

One last image of Xi Wang Mu. Here she is with a tiger (in this painting a regular tiger--though she is closely associated with the white tiger in ancient Chinese tradition).

xi wang mu tiger.jpg

1 person thanks this