Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Today's Sunday practice included the following Flying Phoenix Meditations:

A.  *22-movement Long Form Seated Meditation (not on DVD series) - 3 rounds (18 min.)

B.  *Red Lotus Flying Phoenix Seated Meditation No.1  -- 4 min.

C.  Wind Through Treetops

D.  Wind Above the Clouds

E.  Moonbeam Splashes on Water

F.  *Advanced Flying Phoenix Standing Meditations 1 - 5.  (15 min.)

G.  3 rounds each of the 2 standing Nei Kung exercises of the 8 Sections of Energy Combined (Bot Dim Gum) - 20 min.

*The lovely 22-movement Long Form Seated Meditation is an exercise that I teach in person or online after students have completed Vols. 1-3 and 7 of the DVD series.

*B.  Red Lotus Flying Phoenix Seated Meditations are taught after one has proficiency in the entire "basic" level of FP Qigong.

*F.   The 9 Advanced Flying Phoenix Standing Meditations are taught after one has completed the Basic Level of FP Qigong and Long Form Seated Meditation are mastered.

Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 5

Hi Sifu Terry,

thank you for the above training inspiration!

At the moment when I am practicing FP my hand wrists, especially the back of the hand wrists, and the first part of the forearms are sweating whereas I don't sweat that much at the other parts of the body.

Is this a coincedence or is this a common thing, maybe a point where my body dispells any waste?

Best,

Julian

• Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 11:41 AM, Seatle185 said:

You can click on the "filters" button and click yes on "content i have posted in" 

what filters button?  nothing labeled filters  i searched for filters  what do you mean?

8 minutes ago, ridingtheox said:

what filters button?  nothing labeled filters  i searched for filters  what do you mean?

Here is a screenshot of it, the filter button is right underneath the "unread content" 

And you can just click it and a menu drops down and you can customize it however you want.hope it helps

Screenshot_2017-06-02-18-16-18.thumb.png.4703637ee106019bebec1768f02a3685.png

Edited by Seatle185

on desktop these may be the same? as clicking the 'activity tab' and then the 'my activity' tab, or content I started tab or the other thing , and you get a choice of some filters but I dont think it uses that word . 

Edited by Stosh

I got here by using group studies and put in flying phoenix chi kung. I then put this page in my favorites and that is how I get back on the thread. I have no idea why they messed up this system. 

Dear Sifu, I am very interested in Flying Phoenix. I am a doctor who is going to work in hospitals so I will be exposed to sick chi often. I was wondering if Flying Phoenix will be good for me? Thank you. :) 

Also, to add on to the question... what is the relationship of Kundalini to Flying Phoenix? Does kundalini rise from practice of flying phoenix? That's because from what I understand, kundalini has to rise and open up all the channels of the body including the du and ren, the 8 vessels and the central sushumna + chakras before we can hit the genuine 2nd jhana fully. This is using the standard of Chan buddhism explained by a Zen master. 3rd jhana onwards is when body vanishes and mental stuff is dealt with purely. :) Yup so wondering about the interaction of kundalini and how she graces the form :)

Also would be interested in what you think of this chart: SamadhiChart2_zps00fc4508.jpg

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 8:47 AM, Joolian said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

thank you for the above training inspiration!

At the moment when I am practicing FP my hand wrists, especially the back of the hand wrists, and the first part of the forearms are sweating whereas I don't sweat that much at the other parts of the body.

Is this a coincedence or is this a common thing, maybe a point where my body dispells any waste?

Best,

Julian

Hi Joolian,

I too am curious if any other FP practitioners have experienced sweating on the top of the wrists and narrow parts of the forearms.  I don't recall ever having experienced sweating at those locations.  But I've done other Qigong systems for 25 years before training in FP Qigong.

Those are interesting locations to be sweating while doing FP Qigong.  But more information is needed before I try to "shen" out what's going on with you.  Contact me on PM if you want to follow up.  I need to know:  (a)  is it all around the forearms or just the top side?  (b)  What hours of the day did you practice when this occurred?   (c)  environmental factors...
If you want an answer, then it's most efficient to do a short Skype session with me so I can see you.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Today I read a friend's FB posting of Reinhold Niebuhr's very brainy theological saying,

“The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.”

extolling a "Final wisdom of life" requiring "the annulment of incongruity" being subsumed by the "attainment of serenity in and above it".   It took me 12 minutes to read this saying 4x and to revolve on it before realizing that it was his rigorous functional definition of At-Onement, enlightenment, At-One with the Godhead.  (I was a bit slow because I don't think like a German theologian).  But nothing objectionable about this saying.

Better to achieve this "Final Wisdom In Life" --serenity that permeates all congruity --i.e., wisdom that creates no more (negative) karma that needs to be burned (in the present or future incarnations--earlier in life and spread more Peace and Love, instead of achieving it later in life, with all its regrets and suffering over missed opportunities of fulfilling good works (karma yoga). The difference between a bodhisattva and a stone buddha.

This is Hui Neng's prescription as to how to attain wisdom-serenity, or what the Taoists call "Immortality within one lifetime":

"Calmness (meditation) and wisdom (serenity) and is like a lamp and its light."
                                           -- Hui Neng, 6th Patriarch of Buddhism, founder of the Sudden School of Enlightenment, Chan (Zen).

••• Then I found this Reddit page nicely summarizing the teachings of Hui Neng-- albeit not using my favorite English translation of the Altar Sutra (which is by Wing-tsit Chan, who translated D.T. Suzuki's translation in 1963).  btw, you can substitute "Buddha Way" below with "the Tao", "the Way", "the Christ within", or "divine wisdom."

So get calm for clarity through Meditation and then get busy with your Karma-Yoga.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, zen-bear said:

So get calm for clarity through Meditation and then get busy with your Karma-Yoga.

Thank you sifu terry, that post was great.

This reminded me of something I read by someone I respect a lot (enlightened Zen master's student) (link to post and link to book chapter). He says his teacher taught him the phases as the following:

• The Stage of Study and Merit Accumulation
  • The Stage of Preparation, Preparatory Yoga or Intensified Yoga Practices
  • The Stage of Seeing the Tao, or Awakening
  • The Stage of True Cultivation Practice
  • The Stage of Complete Enlightenment, No More Learning, or Buddhahood

Arousal of kundalini and energy channel stuff, including jhanas, is in the Preparation stage. After seeing Tao, true cultivation practice is perfecting behaviour (removing greed, ignorance and anger) and deepening realization. Then moving up the Bodhisattva bhumi stages to full Buddhahood.

Exactly like you said above... clarity and calm through jhanas + insight until Tao is realized, then the 'karma yoga' to remove afflictions, neuroses, etc. :) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hi Joolian,

I too am curious if any other FP practitioners have experienced sweating on the top of the wrists and narrow parts of the forearms.  I don't recall ever having experienced sweating at those locations.  But I've done other Qigong systems for 25 years before training in FP Qigong.

Those are interesting locations to be sweating while doing FP Qigong.  But more information is needed before I try to "shen" out what's going on with you.  Contact me on PM if you want to follow up.  I need to know:  (a)  is it all around the forearms or just the top side?  (b)  What hours of the day did you practice when this occurred?   (c)  environmental factors...
If you want an answer, then it's most efficient to do a short Skype session with me so I can see you.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi Sifu Terry,

thank you for your answer - I will send you an email.

--So that this post has also something meaningful for all the FP practitioners: If you didn't try that before, lay your palms over your closed eyes after your practice session. When doing this I can sometimes "see" internal blue light. Also sometimes after some practice sessions the outside world (my room) is a bit blue tinted for a while.

Greetings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joolian said:

Also sometimes after some practice sessions the outside world (my room) is a bit blue tinted for a while.

Wow, I experience this too. Whenever I open my eyes after any Monk Serves Wine meditation, there is a very blue tint around the world, and I wondered if it was just my eyes adjusting to the light again. 

• Like 3

,Great stuff there Sifu Terry. I immediately got the German theologian's drift from that quote because it reflected my few times in actual Samadhi, higher states of consciousness, thru the Siddhis program of the Transcendental Meditation program, Peter Hess' Sound Massage using special ancient formula for Tibetan Bowls placed on specific energy centers on the body, and a session over the phone with the energy worker/Vedic astrologer, Stephen Quong performing Yuen Method. Kam Yuen was a consultant and stunt man for the Kung Fu TV series but he also became a gifted energy healer. Anyway, the point is, when you have even just a temporary degree of enlightenment, you then can recognize that same state anywhere it shows up when someone else is describing it. The words of that theologian cannot be understood correctly without first having had the direct experience of the state of higher consciousness that he is describing. 

And great synchronicity reading today that you remind us about the value of true and effective meditation.

Less than 2 weeks ago I had a Vedic astrology session and was given an individualized mantra based on the energies in my natal chart. I began using this new mantra in lieu of my advanced technique TM mantra. The result has been that my meditation is now once again producing that state of silencing of thoughts and almost no breathing with very deep relaxation in a way which my previous mantra had not done for at least the last 7 years while I was just spinning my wheels and could not figure out why TM stopped working. So I underscore the reminder of the importance of meditation in addition to doing chi kung. \

And someone above was mentioning the 8 fold path of Buddha. It was Maharishi Mahesh Yogi of TM who taught us that history has distorted the teaching of the 8 fold path. He said that the first step should be enlightenment and as a result of that state of consciousness you would automatically be living from the home of all the Laws of Nature and thus you would have spontaneous right action and the behaviors described in the other 7 steps would then happen on their own. I think of it as, "first things first!"

Edited by tao stillness
to correct punctuation
  • Like 1

Looking much forward to receiving the DVDs (it takes one month to reach me :( ), especially the Monk Serves Wine for hospital work, night shifts and long-hours. I'm not sure if this was answered in my previous post... but I was wondering if there was a specific exercise in FP that allows the expelling of sick chi, especially if it comes from patients that I'm handling throughout the day. I love to help, also to heal, but I realize that most doctors end up being at a norm of 'sick' and frankly aren't energetically at a good level to heal people. Would be great to know. Thank you :) 

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

Obviously only Sifu Terry can answer for sure, but I don't think I've seen any specific FP meditation mentioned as being especially effective at expelling pathogenic Qi before. Off the top of my head, it seems like the standing & moving meditations like Bending the Bows and Wind Above the Clouds would maybe be a good choice, since they seem to induce the most whole body energy circulation.

Just a thought, but if you are practicing at work, it could be a good idea to find a nearby Garden/Park for performing the meditations, since they seem to create an enhanced sensitivity to environmental influences (energetic and otherwise), and the last thing you'd want is to open yourself up to increased levels of the kind of energy which most hospitals are filled with.

• Like 1

Am I misunderstanding or is he skipping the full breath between each % breath in the instructions? 

ie. instead of 100% in, 50% out, 50% in, 100% out - 100% in, 100% out - 100% in, 40% out, etc etc.

He's saying 100% in, 50% out, 50% in, 100% out - 100% in, 40% out, 40% in, etc etc

Also interesting that it otherwise seems to have the same breath sequence as MHPearl - I suppose given the number of meditations in the Doo Family tradition it would make sense that they would start doubling up eventually.

Interesting video though - thanks for posting it.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2017 at 10:58 PM, Aeran said:

Am I misunderstanding or is he skipping the full breath between each % breath in the instructions? 

ie. instead of 100% in, 50% out, 50% in, 100% out - 100% in, 100% out - 100% in, 40% out, etc etc.

He's saying 100% in, 50% out, 50% in, 100% out - 100% in, 40% out, 40% in, etc etc

Also interesting that it otherwise seems to have the same breath sequence as MHPearl - I suppose given the number of meditations in the Doo Family tradition it would make sense that they would start doubling up eventually.

Interesting video though - thanks for posting it.

I practice different Doo Family meditations on Dvds and All have complete breaths between the percentage breath outs.

I believe each password invokes a specifically created entity which floods its specific energy to the meditator, l would'nt think so lightly about the percentages doubling up, they seem to be created by wizards well beyond our capabilities. Effects and feels of FPCK is extremely gentle, and with all respect, GMDW does not show much charisma while demonstrating  other forms on Youtube and also Dvds. This is a fool's barrier. Of the ones I practice ,there is a nine mudra static meditation called "pushing ging", and also two moving meds in the expensive "energy" Dvd, which flood you with an additional WoW! factor and literally dazzling inner light. You are on your own on these meds and there is no another Sifu Terry, and if someone -out there- do not clip most of their psychic effects after a few practices like it happened to me, you might feel really alone on uncharted waters without enough experience and mental configuration of prior exercising. But they feel very safe.

Fpck builds up slow and safe. Other GMDW arts will certainly help speeding up and a must to try if you have doubts.. There is a frustration barrier that needs to be climbed over and it takes some time, after it accumulates and you reach the chi. 

Edited by cihan
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

Hide contents

Wow. I had to download, flip the video and then watch it at 0.3x speed to follow along. Even done slowly I could feel the energy and I felt most of my 'flu-like symptoms' and heatiness being flushed away. (Attached it here for people who want a mirrored version so they can copy GMDW's moves exactly as if following a mirror. I used VLC media player to reduce the speed of playback.)

Would be interested if there was a particular routine using FP to both build energy and flush out sick qi :)

grandmaster_doo_wai's_detox_qigong.mp4

• Like 4

Haha, this is some kind of synchronicity again. I found that video yesterday and tried the moves a bit. Now I see it posted here the same time I found it independently on youtube :-)

18 hours ago, taoguy said:

Looking much forward to receiving the DVDs (it takes one month to reach me :( ), especially the Monk Serves Wine for hospital work, night shifts and long-hours. I'm not sure if this was answered in my previous post... but I was wondering if there was a specific exercise in FP that allows the expelling of sick chi, especially if it comes from patients that I'm handling throughout the day. I love to help, also to heal, but I realize that most doctors end up being at a norm of 'sick' and frankly aren't energetically at a good level to heal people. Would be great to know. Thank you :) 

I think FP in general will help with that (try the meditations and you will find intuitively what you need), but I think, and it's often greatly underestimated, that your state of mind / your thoughts are some kind of (electromagnetic?) energy and attract similar energies. Focus solely on healing, in thoughts of health, when working in a hospital. In fact, I think working in a hospital can train one very well to focus on ones preferred thoughts, because of the strong contrast between sick and healing energies existing there and in perceiving the influence your mind has in attracting the preferred one.

Edited by phil48
  • Like 1

Just an update, I just did the purification again and it is working out well. I had borrowed the first FP DVD from my friend (while my DVD set continues to ship over slowly haha) and I realised that I was doing the breath sequence wrongly and that might have caused my sicknesses to arise. I counted 1,2,3...10 for each inhalation and then released 1,2,3,4,5 for example for 50% etc. Then I realized later that I inverted the count and did it on the inhale instead of exhale. Stupid me! My god! But last night when I followed the DVD to the T again, and my entire body felt much better. I do believe that it might have been the wrong breath sequence that caused a internal energy problem. Looking forward to receiving all 5 DVDs so I can practice the sitting meditations :)

Thanks phil48. I asked this other master (Chunyi lin) about it in a teleseminar and he said to protect against external energies we can put our index and thumb fingers together. I'm going to change my mindset to a positive, more healing one, and also do the mudra haha. Hopefully FP helps too.

Also, I was wondering... I do anapana breath meditation. Is FP compatible with this kind of meditation?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2017 at 7:22 AM, taoguy said:

Dear Sifu, I am very interested in Flying Phoenix. I am a doctor who is going to work in hospitals so I will be exposed to sick chi often. I was wondering if Flying Phoenix will be good for me? Thank you. :) 

Also, to add on to the question... what is the relationship of Kundalini to Flying Phoenix? Does kundalini rise from practice of flying phoenix? That's because from what I understand, kundalini has to rise and open up all the channels of the body including the du and ren, the 8 vessels and the central sushumna + chakras before we can hit the genuine 2nd jhana fully. This is using the standard of Chan buddhism explained by a Zen master. 3rd jhana onwards is when body vanishes and mental stuff is dealt with purely. :) Yup so wondering about the interaction of kundalini and how she graces the form :)

Also would be interested in what you think of this chart: SamadhiChart2_zps00fc4508.jpg

Hello Tao Guy,

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply to your post.  We ended the quarter at the acupuncture college where I teach last week and this past Saturday was the commencement ceremony for the 4th year graduates and graduates of the Master's and doctoral programs in acupuncture and oriental medicine that was held at UCLA.

Answer to your question:  As a complete medical qigong system, Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Kung was specifically  designed by the ancients (a)  to promote the body's natural self-healing faculties and (b) to empower healers to maintain strong immunity and avoid contracting diseases and symptoms from their patients and subjects.  Flying Phoenix Qigong does this, as I've quoted my teacher in the past by:  "bringing all the organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind."  How Flying Phoenix Qigong tangibly effects this super-regulation by the mind is profound and without hard scientific research, beyond the scope of atomistic, Aristotelian thinking.

I started the week right and practiced this morning from 6:30 am. to 12 noon.  the last 90 minutes was devoted to Flying Phoenix Qigong:

a.  Wind Above the Clouds (4 min.)

b.  Bending the Bows (12 min.)

c.  Monk Gazing At Moon (5 min.)

d.  seated Monk Serves Wine #2 (50 40 30 10) -- 10 min.

e.  Monk Serves Wine (80 70 50 30)

f.   Monk Serves Wine (70 50 20 10)

e.  unpublished advanced MSW with self-massage (90 50 20 30)

h.  Red Lotus FLying Phoenix No.1

I've discussed Kundalini in the past briefly on this  thread because many practitioners of Indian yogas and ayurevedic medicine know and use that term.  Flying Phoenix Qigong and all the Nei Kung arts under the Bai Hu Pai (White Tiger System) banner awakens or raises the Kundalini very sublimely and gradually as a perfectly balanced side-effect of its super-regulatory cultivation. 

Another Qigong/Nei Kung system that I  teach, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method), a 9th century Tang Dynasty system attributed to the leader of the 8 Taoist Immortals (Saints), Lu Deng Bin (Lu Teng Pin in old Wade-Giles romanization), directly cultivates and circulates the Kundalini to the crown chakra ("Thousand Petaled Lotus") in a more dramatic-- manner, using a wide, wide variety of Chinese yogic postures and breathing methods.

The Flying Phoenix Meditations effect very dramatic changes to the body's nervous system and organ systems in a very sublime manner.  First by energizing and rejuvenating the entire body--every cell.  Early on, practitioners can experience sensations in the head that all yogic traditions call "brain activation" and the activation of very precise brain centers.  The first non-ordinary experience that is the most basic benchmark in FP Qigong practice is the gentle and enjoyable "washing" sensation of the brain.

Permanent "enhancement" of all of a person's sensory channels can occur, and various traditions call this process "enlightenment".  And it is attainable through Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations practice alone, according to the oral tradition in reference to past masters.  And certainly of FP Qigong's creator.  (I generally abstain from talking about "enlightenment" attained through any yoga unless there is a long history of wise, humane, and saintly actions to corroborate that status.).

The chart you posted juxtaposes various authors' and traditions' translations of "consciousness roadmaps. " The one I found personally most useful in the English language  is Daniel Goleman's 1972 translation of the of the Visuddhimagga account of Gotama Buddha’s teachings on meditation and higher states of consciousness, which is perhaps the most detailed and
extensive report extant of one being’s explorations within the mind.  That fact that the one being was the Buddha makes it worth studying and keeping by the serious yogin.  Goleman's chart of the 8 jhana-absorptions is on page 30 and 31 of this 44-page article:

http://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/Goleman1972.pdf

So is a far more detailed of that map on the left side of the chart your posted.

You asked me to comment on the chart you posted of the 12 absorptions. 

• As I just stated, the Goleman articles/books on the the Buddha's teachings regarding higher states of consciousness (HSC), and meditative states of consciousness (MSC) is detailed and worth studying.

• I'm not familiar with Patanjali Yoga and so don't know what those states written in sanskrit mean.

• I need to read more of Sant Mat/Regions by Peter Halloran before I can comment other than it maps MSC and spiritual realms.  But as for his declaring Sant Mat as a superior technique and path, I have no comment, for I have heard and seen that type of hype in every field of human endeavor. He may be confident to make that declaration within the sphere of Indian spiritual traditions, but there are other worlds of alchemy beyond that culture's--and not just China's.  Even within India's rich traditions, I think there might be a few Indian saints in the upper regions who find that type of self-esteem boorish.

• I disagree with a couple of technicalities in Brooks' schematic chart and question his use of words.

• If that is how cognitive psychology observes and interprets MSC, then their logic is too narrow to the point of not just uselessness, but causing retardation of anyone seeking holistic health and spiritual illumination.

It's a strange chart.  But thanks for posting it.

Amd thanks for your question about Kundalini.  Thinking about it has causee me to decide to add a few paragraphs about Kundalini and its progess in my forthcoming book on FP Qigong.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Zen-Bear,

I hesitate to ask this question as the aspiration might seem presumptious, but I`m wondering about Flying Pheonix and immortality.  You said that the practice can lead to enlightenment.  Is enlightenment different from immortality?  Michael Winn explains that the Kan & Li meditations he teaches through the Healing Tao can lead to immortality by integrating/harmonizing the shen so that they don`t separate in different directions after death.  (Or at least this is my current understanding of what he`s said.) Can the Flying Phoenix meditations you teach do something similar? 

What`s the best way to get started?  If I decide to give this a try, I could see myself being able to devote an hour a day to begin with and going from there.  Maybe buy the first two DVDs, basic standing and basic sitting?  Or what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,

LL

5 hours ago, zen-bear said:

I've discussed Kundalini in the past briefly on this  thread because many practitioners of Indian yogas and ayurevedic medicine know and use that term.  Flying Phoenix Qigong and all the Nei Kung arts under the Bai Hu Pai (White Tiger System) banner awakens or raises the Kundalini very sublimely and gradually as a perfectly balanced side-effect of its super-regulatory cultivation. 

Another Nei Kung system that I  teach, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method), a 9th century Tang Dynasty system attributed to the leader of the 8 Taoist Immortals (Saints), Lu Deng Bin (Lu Teng Pin in old Wade-Giles romanization), cultivates and raises the Kundalini to the crown chakra ("Thousand Petaled Lotus") in a more dramatic-- manner, using a wide, wide variety of Chinese yogic postures and breathing methods.

The Flying Phoenix Meditations effect very dramatic changes to the body's nervous system and organ systems in a very sublime manner.  First by energizing and rejuvenating the entire body--every cell.  Early on, practitioners can experience sensations in the head that all yogic traditions call "brain activation" and the activation of very precise brain centers.  The first non-ordinary experience that is the most basic benchmark in FP Qigong practice is the gentle and enjoyable "washing" sensation of the brain.

Permanent "enhancement" of all of a person's sensory channels can occur, and various traditions call this process "enlightenment".  And it is attainable through Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditaitons practice alone, according to the oral tradition in reference to past masters.  And certainly of FP Qigong's creator.  (I generallyt abstain from talking about enlightenment attained through any yoga unless there is a long history of wise, humane, and saintly actions to corroborate).

Dear Sifu Terry Dunn,

Thank you so much for the clarifications, I really appreciate it. I had my doubts about that chart as it juxtaposed another Chan master who I follow the teachings of (Nan Huai Chin) so thank you for shedding light on that. I'll check out the document for sure, it looks very handy and well-researched. Would be great to see its relationship to Kundalini in the flying phoenix book :)

Subconscious health-regulation sounds like exactly what I am looking for! :D I believe if this is true, science needs to investigate the relationship between the brain-centers and the various endocrine, nervous and immune systems. Definitely out of its reach, but perhaps I can advance the field in future with research :)

Oh wow, I'm having that 'brain-washing' experience right now. According to Nan Huai Chin, he calls this the Sui Xi (随)/Following-breath stage that reaches to the point where the throat opens up so that the brain can 'breathe'. He also says the highest-stage of sui-xi is when the 'breath' or 'qi' is able to reach the soles or heels of the feet. Also, he agrees with 'every single cell' breathing. Eventually, he says it leads to 止息/Shamata/Stopping-breath. From extreme yin comes yang, and he says kundalini rises from the stillness to burn through obstructions of the body until the entire body has no feeling. He goes as far as to claim that while walking on snow, there are no footprints. Assuming the chart shared before is wrong, then NHJ's should be more accurate. Nan Huai Jin's framework is going from first jhana, second jhana, third jhana and fourth jhana to arahant fruit. He also described the Yang-shen produced in Tao and Longevity. Then from Arahant fruit to Bodhisattva fruit. Corresponds to Jing to Chi, Chi to Shen, Shen to Emptiness, Emptiness to Tao.

Shall read the link :) I want to take FP up as my main practice now. Thank you again!

-taoguy

• Like 3

Apologies to all who are waiting for replies to posts.  I am still behind after see a graduating class of acupuncturists and masters os doctors of TCM this past weekend.  I will get to y'all shortly.

So busy I forgot to post this Flying Phoenix Qigong training sequence I did yesterday from 10:15 am to 12 noon. 

I actually practiced form 6:30 am to 12 noon:

The 6:30 am to 10:15 am segment was devoted to:

(a)  Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung (1 hr.), 

(b)  Liu He Ba Fa Form - 2 rounds (30 min.) 

(c)  8 Sections of Energy Combined Kung Fu -- Sections 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 (90 min.)

(d)  Yang Tai Chi Chuan and sword -  (45 min.)

The 2 hours of Flying Phoenix practice:

3 Standing Moving Meditations (30 min.):

(a)  Wind Above The Clouds  + Wind Through Treetop  (10 min.)

(b)  Moonbeam Splashes on Water (8 min.)

(c)  FPHHCM - Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4) -- (12 min.)

4 Seated Meditations (90 min.):

Monk Serves Wine seated meditation No.2 (50 40 30 10) - 20 min.

MSW on Vol.7 (80 70 50 30) - 20 min.

MSW on Vol.7 (70 50 20 10) - 25 min.

Unpublished MSW seated meditation involving massage of head and face:  (90 50 20 30) - 25 min.

Unpublished 22-movement seated Long Form meditation (50 30 10) - 5 min.

**I just realized this, and it is noteworthy experiential fact only because of the yogic principle behind it:   

I practiced the 5.5 hours straight without any water or food beforehand or during the practice.

Afterwards, I was not hungry at all nor was I noticeably thirsty.  I did full day's work, took a break to have a short meeting with a friend at a coffee house at 2 o'clock at which I had a latte.  But I didn't feel hungry at all throughout the day and had a moderate dinner at about 8pm.

I demonstrated to myself this yogic fact:  when you practice any Chinese yogic art at an advanced level properly-- and I can only speak for Chinese arts with monastic roots-- and achieve a prolonged state of what I believe western science calls allostasis, you can live for quite a while without ingesting food or water...just by continuing to practice, and slowly swallowing your saliva from time to time.  This was something that Madame Bow Sim Mark told me way back in 1980 when I was studying with her in Boston on Saturdays while I was in graduate school at Harvard.  Only in the past couple of years have I practiced long enough Nei Kung sessions to demonstrate this to be true in terms of my personal practice.  [This principle is also why Indian Yogas evolved the way they did (due to environmental factors of famine and food scarcity throughout India's long history) in order to allow practitioners to survive on base metabolism and not have to eat.  Chinese history was millenia of war and blood shed, so its yogic arts born out of intuitive/spiritual genius took the functional form of advanced martial and healing arts.]

I am now writing this at 3 pm Tuesday, and I had nothing to eat or drink today except for a shotglass of almond milk and a banana at 10 am.  And I'm not hungry or thirsty at all aftert having  I just finished another--but much shorter, 3 hour--practice from 11am to 2pm:

(a)  Full set of Tao Tan Pai  Nei kung (1 hour)

(b)  Tao Tan Pai snake, crane, and monkey forms.  (20 min.)

(c)  Master James Lau King's mind-body coordination (Tai Chi Qigong) set--3 rounds in 3 stances:  10 min.

(d)  GM William Chen's Tai Chi Long Form  - 20 min.

(d)  GM William Chen's Tai Chi Sword form - 2 rounds - 20 min.

(e)  Wudang Dan Jian - one round -10 min.

(f)   FP Monk Serves Wine Mediation on Vol.7:   80 70 50 30   TWO SETS - 40 MIN. total.*

*Yes, you can try doing any of the seated Monk Serves Wine seated meditation in repetitive sets of 7, back to back--with a short break in between, if you like.  (that's the "gong" in Qigong).    Work It!--but in sublimity, calm and refinement.

Enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

On 6/11/2017 at 1:33 AM, taoguy said:

Wow. I had to download, flip the video and then watch it at 0.3x speed to follow along. Even done slowly I could feel the energy and I felt most of my 'flu-like symptoms' and heatiness being flushed away. (Attached it here for people who want a mirrored version so they can copy GMDW's moves exactly as if following a mirror. I used VLC media player to reduce the speed of playback.)

Would be interested if there was a particular routine using FP to both build energy and flush out sick qi :)

grandmaster_doo_wai's_detox_qigong.mp4

Yes, GMDW's Detox Meditation that he calls "Monk Watching the Moon" (same Chinese name as the FP meditation, "Monk Gazing At Moon")  is very effective.  It was something he taught outside of FP Qigong, so I also teach it outside of FP as an ancillary tool.  Also try his healing meditation that he describes as having some postures similiar to Tai Chi but is not Tai Chi.  It is a good Qigong exercise that builds vital energy that can be transmitted across space as he suggests you try to do in experiment(s) with your friends.  This is also non-Flying Phoenix qigong:

Enjoy the wide variety of Qigong under the Bok Fu Pai banner.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6