Walking overland they don't avoid

Rhinos and tigers.

In battle they don't arm themselves.

The rhino's horn finds nothing to gore,

The tiger's claws find nothing to flay,

Weapons find nothing to pierce.

Why is this?

They have no mortal spot.

I have pondered much of my Tao Te Ching and read many translations, but my favorite thing is to hear others' ideas about what the lesson is.

peace+love

Chris

i'd love to see people who do isometrics do this

and in case you're wondering, yes, a full body workout consisting of dead lift squats & bench will give you that type of power

i'd love to see people who do isometrics do this

and in case you're wondering, yes, a full body workout consisting of dead lift squats & bench will give you that type of power

Mantis you live like 15 minutes from me come train and empty your cup. You will be glad you did.

Santi

I say why not take the time to train in multiple styles? With weights I'm training deadlifts and overhead presses mostly, but would not be opposed to trying new and different things when I reach certain goals. Hell, I would probably see Santiago if not for being on the other side of the country. :) You should go, Mantis.

From the spring forest qigong forum July 17th:

Susan - I've studied various sorts of martial arts, mostly Tae Kwon Do and Vietnamese Kung Fu, for about 15 years. I've some acquaintance with Tai Chi, and IMHO Qigong is very much like Tai Chi.

People have been doing these sorts of exercises for (hundreds of? thousands of?) years. It's difficult for some of us with Western attitudes towards exercise and fitness to understand the Eastern methods; especially the "soft" styles.

"Hard" styles of martial arts are things like boxing, karate, tae kwon do, and so on, that involve punching and kicking.

"Soft" styles are the ones like judo and aikido and yes, tai chi, that involve turning and deflection.

As it turns out, the hard styles tend to be relatively easy to learn but (IMHO) are somewhat 'crude'. The soft styles take a lot longer to learn, but are highly sophisticated and very, very subtle.

I free-sparred two of my different Tai Chi instructors, one of them after I had earned my 2nd degree black belt in tae kwon do. Both times, it was like fighting smoke.

The point I'm making is that there are depths to the soft styles, especially Tai Chi that are not readily apparent to the casual observer. They are very subtle but immensely powerful.

Think of the difference between jackhammers and water. Jackhammers might be able to tear up concrete very quickly, but it was water that carved the Grand Canyon, albeit very slowly.

Now, I know that Qigong is not a martial art, but it is related to Tai Chi in that it is a system of body movements that, like Tai Chi, produces an effect on those who practice it.

On a practical note - a fairly obvious advantage of the Qigong exercises is that they are not stressful. Like Tai Chi, if they are done correctly the practitioner should be more rested at the end of the exercise than they were at the beginning.

With Qigong, we're not engaged in any "dark arts". We're not messing around with ouija boards or summoning up demons. This is not about gaining some unholy advantage over other people. It's about exercise, and fitness, and health, and healing.

Just my 2 cents.

/lecture

the guy in th white shirt can does 1,000 pushups & 1,000 Hindu squats no problem he is big in to Matt Furey, and also lifts kettle bells & does Chi kung as well ith Guru Pak Harold Koning.

The big guy in the black taller than me lifts weights and does body weight exercises

I am just using very basic tenaga dalam & Dr. Morris hoshin stuff here.

Peace

Santiago

sWVtPdJbZwY

Edited by Vajrasattva

Or you can come and play up here in Detroit? Although.... in all honesty.... Miami sounds better. LOL You were a bodyguard for Jay-Z, thats pretty cool. Not to do the pissing contest thing :lol: but.... I was a bodyguard for General Staff Officers during the 1st Gulf War.

You want to see an applications video? Anyone can stage a good application video. Look at all the taiji masters making their students hop and jump all over the place in the push hands videos. Thats just pathetic.

BTW, Bullshido had good things to say about your school. Why are we debating? I like you and I like your school. Oh yeah, the 100lbs internal guy being a badass and killing coconuts. Have any videos? I bet there are some.

How old are you?

okey dokey

I didn't come here to be a Martial Artist, I came here to be a Martial Rester or to be really good at Resting.

I know a bone marrow washing practice that has similar principles as isometrics. Only you flex from 30 min to an hour, continuously. :huh: Clears bones, blood, rejuvenates teeth, brain, etc, assuming you pass possible clearing stages of blood coming out of your orifices and other exciting things. :)

Ohhh, and you can take a baseball bat in the ribs after 1 month of doing this.

Hi Smile, can you say where you learned this? Was it in NYC?

Thanks,

T

Hi Smile, can you say where you learned this? Was it in NYC?

Thanks,

T

Hi and welcome back :)

No, I learned it a very long time ago in my home country but i can't exactly say if it was from the method or from meditation in general. I also noticed, the effect is also after regular meditation where about 75% of the penis draws in as well. A lot of times, the balls and penis would be pulled up about 50% into the body during the day even if I don't practice.

Still practicing Chen style?

the guy in th white shirt can does 1,000 pushups & 1,000 Hindu squats no problem he is big in to Matt Furey, and also lifts kettle bells & does Chi kung as well ith Guru Pak Harold Koning.

The big guy in the black taller than me lifts weights and does body weight exercises

I am just using very basic tenaga dalam & Dr. Morris hoshin stuff here.

Peace

Santiago

sWVtPdJbZwY

what do you guys think would be the most effective schedule?

3 days iso and 3 days weight training

all iso, all weight?

santiago, where can i find out about tenaga dalam?

the guy in th white shirt can does 1,000 pushups & 1,000 Hindu squats no problem he is big in to Matt Furey,

Just out of personal interest I hope his knee supports are to make rolling on the ground more "fun" or because of old injuries and not due to the 1,000's of squats :blink:

Neo, blend and experiment. Find out what works best for you. Different bodies respond differently to different stimuli making a "best method" that "fits" everyone very unlikely (although you have probably gathered that from the rather passionate debate :) )

p.s. If anyone is in Townsville please come and touch hands with me. But I have to look respectable for work so don't hit me too hard in the face, thanks ;)

Hi and welcome back :)

Still practicing Chen style?

thanks..actually i've taken a break from all this stuff. i'm in reductionist mode now..

T

whats wrong with weights? you want true physical strength? go put hundreds of pounds on a squat, doing isometrics isn't going to give you "great power."

STRENGTH:

whats wrong with weights? you want true physical strength? go put hundreds of pounds on a squat, doing isometrics isn't going to give you "great power."

Huge Misconception and shows you know nothing of Internal Cultivation for power & energy.

I did a test of no weights and only Iron Shirt Chi Kung/ Tenaga Dalam Jurus for 6 weeks. After 2 months of just that and no weights, i was able to do more once in the gym again than before. I could bench more I could lift more etc.

There is a a reason its a BIG thing in a lot of the internal arts.

Peace

S

Thanks for starting this thread, I immediately ordered the book "miracle seven". I want to work out but don't have the chance to go to a gym since I look after children most of my time.

STRENGTH:

Ok? I incorporate gymnastic exercises on my off time too - doesn't mean that he doesn't go to the gym anyway (like I do).

Ok? I incorporate gymnastic exercises on my off time too - doesn't mean that he doesn't go to the gym anyway (like I do).

You are in denial Mantis.

The typical cut and bulky gymnastic body can be / is developed entirely using bodyweight exercises.

No other weights required but your own, although some gymnasts do it.

The strength of your everyday gym weight lifter is very different from that of a bodyweight exerciser and in my opinion inferior when it comes to the quality and functionality of the muscle it'self.

Usability, reaction time, flexibility, recovery, strength, consistency, endurance etc. in the regular "weight lifting in the gym" built muscle are all inferior to that of muscle built through bodyweight.

Gymnasts are notorious for having the best "natural" physical bodies out there. Visually and functionally.

Edited by effilang

You'll never get a body like a gymnast, they train for upwards of 4 hours, keep dreaming. Can it be done? Obviously. Is it the most effective way to get lean/big? No way in hell.

You'll never get a body like a gymnast, they train for upwards of 4 hours, keep dreaming. Can it be done? Obviously. Is it the most effective way to get lean/big? No way in hell.

I train for 3 hours, all conditioning on some days. And I'm just a beginner... 4 hours is very realistic.

Big bodybuilder muscles require a lot of oxygen and energy to function. This is why they are not best for explosive force. Bodyweight exercises maximize strength in the best way.

Of course, if you don't care for health, longevity, and mastering the issuing of force, than big muscles will give you more mass and therefore give you more force due to the basic physics equation M X A = F (mass x acceleration = force).

I believe the best idea in the long run is to train your ability to accelerate. Which has infinite potential when you consider all 650 muscles in the body, their interconnections, and the conditioning of the nervous system.

Weights + Real Chi Kung + Body Weight stuff is the best way to go

also train with the motions you would use if you are Martial arts Guy/Gal Move slow and add chi Kung + weighted Vest or weights in hands etc

Also train in water for speed & better control of both energy & Muscles.

I usually punch slow with 10 to 15lbs in each hand as I do some of my jurus. Then of course always do before and after some form of soft chi kung & also tenaga dalam or Iron Shirt type isometrics.

Edited by Vajrasattva

How can you tell me i'll never get a body like a gymnast? - Thats just such a ludicrous statement to make online, talking to someone you know nothing about at all.

I already have a body like a gymnast and work on it every day: Picture 1 Picture 2

I meditate for 2 to 3 hours and do work in the Dojo for 2 to 4 hours, when i don't have time.

When i do have time, i work in the Dojo for 3 - 6 hours.

The wall for me is at 2 hours, if i don't push myself then, my body gives up, but if i hurdle over i flip a switch and can go for 4 to 6 hours.

Don't be so presumptuous.

Once again, you're totally beside the point here. The name of the thread is great power and strength without weights.

Is lifting weights the "fastest" way (it doesn't even deserve the word "effective") to get as you put it "lean/big". Yes.

Is it the most effective and only way to do it? - Definitely not.

The benefits and results of using bodyweight to develop strength and get lean far outweigh any provided by weight lifting. You just don't get the same formation and quality of muscle tissue. Ask a weight lifter to do 1 planche pushup and he will fall flat on his face. It's not the size of the muscle, it's the way it's formed.

Like Vajrasattva said, you have to simulate the movement you are going to implement as you train the muscle, or you end up being a big pile of useless bulky meat. The best way to form the muscle is progressively. Lifting weights, is not only rigid, but fails to form the muscle carefully, which is one of the reasons it is inferior to bodyweight strength training.

PS: Your attitude sucks. Maybe it's you who will never achieve their goals and should keep dreaming. But don't try and drag others down with your faults, instead encourage them and show some positivity : )

Edited by effilang