58 minutes ago, Apech said:

originally it meant trembling in the presence of God's spirit.

Minister at pulpit  ;   "  And at the end of days , there will be a great gnashing of teeth  ! "

Old man at the front ;  " But I aint got no teeth ! "

Minister :   "  The Lord will provide teeth for those that have none to gnash !  "

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Nungali said:

"  My dear chap   .......   they all are  !  "

Hi Nun,

Which is your favorite?

hqdefault.jpg

Happy New Year!

- Anand

If ‘God’ is to run through my veins (think subtle channels) then it must first dislodge ‘Me’, which equates to the death of ‘Me’ -  there is a lot of fear around this Ego death, and faith in the value of ‘God’ as the greater good would be required to overcome this particular fear methinks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bindi said:

If ‘God’ is to run through my veins (think subtle channels) then it must first dislodge ‘Me’, which equates to the death of ‘Me’ -  there is a lot of fear around this Ego death, and faith in the value of ‘God’ as the greater good would be required to overcome this particular fear methinks. 

Excellent point, thanks.

I just want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone that have participated in this thread. It has been a great joy to see so many participate, and to read so many different experiences and understandings of this complex topic. 

Wishing you all a happy new year. :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bindi said:

is not "God" (of a non-dualistic concept) already running through everyone's veins and the entire multiverse whether we recognize it or not, or whether there is a death of 'Me' or not,  thus a relative Me is ultimately and only apparent?

btw, I'm not a big fan of absolute type sayings like the one I made above  (which are often getting ahead of the game abstractions) although I keep them in mind so to speak. 

Edited by old3bob

On 12/31/2020 at 8:47 PM, dmattwads said:

To be honest I think it would be interesting if you shared more. I'd like to learn more about Orthodoxy.

It seems to me you know plenty. If I find something for sharing I will.

Tomorrow I go to a Baptist church. I find the conflict/dichotomy of it all is entertaining/perplexing.

Less sacred feeling and more contemporary. Biblical teachings yet no incense and all the walls are bare.

And having a band at church and big screen tv's  is VERY ODD but they sound really great and joy is imminent. 

This is an interesting question that I think we can all relate to. Let me toss some thoughts: 

It seems to me the problem is ignorance rather than fear. I don't see anything wrong with fear generally--- it is a set of reactions designed to keep us alive. In a road rage situation, getting attacked, run off the road, or shot at is always a possibility. So I don't agree that a fear reaction is necessarily unwise. There is no way to know whether the encounter is going to be violent or not. If you assume it will be, and it isn't, you haven't lost anything. But if you presume it will not be, and it is, then there's a big problem. From a certain sense, fear is an evolutionary tool that has emerged to keep us safe. (FWIW, I have a no interactions policy with road rage. If some one is angry, I don't interact with them at all, because usually the rage is a result of an escalation that happens when there is some communication.) 

This is different than say sitting at home if we live is a relatively safe place worrying about a serial killer breaking in and murdering us. Or if we fear death because we think we are the body, or we believe ourselves to be separate from the world or something. But these are ignorance problems, and once the ignorance is removed, what arises is a fuller, unhidered expression of the Dao.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:40 PM, anshino23 said:

But even if I was still present, the very presence of the fear made me reactive as a habitual response to fear, which was a submissive type response. Rather than simply being there and answering him plainly, I answered timidly and with fear. This is what I neither enjoy nor felt was wise or expressed from a higher more wise aspect of myself. 

On the other hand perhaps me responding submissively was what was needed to defuse the situation and as such the higher aspect did unfold exactly as it should. I just feel like there was a lesson here and I didn't face the situation with fearlessness when I could have, ultimately fear being a sign of distrust in the Dao. Anyway, maybe I'm just reading too much into it... :) 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anshino23 said:

I just want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone that have participated in this thread. It has been a great joy to see so many participate, and to read so many different experiences and understandings of this complex topic. 

Hi anshino23,

Fear is not complex if one realizes that only one can face it alone.

No one can face it for another.

"Only One Thing Can Defeat 

You... Your Own Fear"

"You Must Face Your Fears If

You Are To Conquer Them"

"Control Your Fear and You

Control Your Life"

What Are You Afraid of?

(Saved from avictedclothing.com)

th?id=OIP.Mmzjy7t5JaF40UwKne6OtgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

- Anand

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I find the conflict/dichotomy of it all is entertaining/perplexing.

I had a feeling you enjoyed conflict a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Are you inflicting conflict ~ a bit?

To bring it back to the topic of fear:

Seems to me both the avoidance and enjoyment of conflict can have the same result of continuing/escalating/inviting said conflict, and that this can be useful (I.e. beneficial) or detrimental on the path (dependent in part on awareness of dynamic, and habituation).

I have thought a bit more on this topic fear.

Guns, I am fearful of guns. 

First shot one over 50 years ago, and I still am a bit uncomfortable around guns and people

A gun in my hands requires an increased level of awareness / focus, and always gets it.

A gun in anyone else's hands results in a super high increase of awareness / focus by me.

I can control my fear of them by avoiding people with guns whenever possible.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dmattwads said:

“Christianity institutionalized guilt as a virtue.” - Alan Watts

I'd say,  institutionalized Christianity institutionalized guilt as a virtue, while a spiritual Christ does not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Conflict is draining-overall.

What is most unappealing is to not get direct answers I want answers to...

then up starts the merry go round-then it gets to no answers/response.

I am no ones devi. and I am not going to be the bad guy here.

I am not.

I want direct conversation with you. and when I say you-you know who I mean.

Its not the tell tale heart of Edgar Allen Poe.

and I am going to life my life. apparently.

3 hours ago, natural said:

I have thought a bit more on this topic fear.

Guns, I am fearful of guns. 

First shot one over 50 years ago, and I still am a bit uncomfortable around guns and people

A gun in my hands requires an increased level of awareness / focus, and always gets it.

A gun in anyone else's hands results in a super high increase of awareness / focus by me.

I can control my fear of them by avoiding people with guns whenever possible.

Forever ago there were some hunters who were walking through our backyard. I moved towards the door to say something to them, and my dad said, “What are you doing? You don’t yell at people with guns.”  This seemed both reasonable and quite logical, so I just watched them until they wandered back into the woods.

I live in a concealed carry state now, and assume anyone could be carrying. Oddly enough this hasn’t been cause for concern to me, and if anything actually makes me feel a bit “safer.”

BTW I have never shot a gun in my life, and suspect my SO wouldn’t be to keen on going to the range during a pandemic (lotsa fear there).

25 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Conflict is draining-overall.

then up starts the merry go round-then it gets to no answers/response.

I am no ones devi. and I am not going to be the bad guy here.

I am not.

I want direct conversation with you. and when I say you-you know who I mean.

Its not the tell tale heart of Edgar Allen Poe.

and I am going to life my life. apparently.

Check your messages. You will find both most recent reply, and reason for previous lack of reply.

43 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

30 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Check your messages. You will find both most recent reply, and reason for previous lack of reply.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

that looks like people playing a game with me.

I want to only have a direct conversation with the woman I met in seattle.

I dont want to communicate with her husband. I dont want to speak with recent hybrids.

the wind blew long before I met this chaos.

I want to use english and not listen inside my body.

I want direct voice communication. 

I want you to hear me not listen to me

On 02/01/2021 at 8:34 AM, Limahong said:

Hi Nun,

Which is your favorite?

hqdefault.jpg

Happy New Year!

- Anand

at the moment , red pawpaw with  passion fruit  over it .  Soon, the ice cream beans will be start ;

la-xpm-photo-2012-oct-02-la-lh-ice-cream

-  fear not fruit !

22 hours ago, Bindi said:

Dislodge ? 

How about a 'divine marriage '    ? 

Art_thoth_x48asa.jpg

17 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I dont want to communicate with her husband.

You better not ~ if you communicate with her husband, he will blow you...

blow_dry.gif

23 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

that looks like people playing a game with me.

I want to only have a direct conversation with the woman I met in seattle.

I dont want to communicate with her husband. I dont want to speak with recent hybrids.

the wind blew long before I met this chaos.

I want to use english and not listen inside my body.

I want direct voice communication. 

I want you to hear me not listen to me

Then I dont think you are going to find  what you want here on this (or any) internet forum .

You are in the wrong place . 

This is probably why you are getting frustrated and angry with us all .

(and to pre-empt Limi )

v1.bTsxMTIwODI4MztqOzE4NzE0OzEyMDA7MTgzO

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Limahong said:

You better not ~ if you communicate with her husband, he will blow you...

:o

Three+Wise+Monkeys+Hear+No+Evil+See+No+E

• Haha 2