Starjumper

The perfect weapon

12 minutes ago, Walker said:

But you believe those PRC stats? 

They just stopped almost all testing for last month..

You cannot get tested in China right now

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

They just stopped almost all testing for last month..

You cannot get tested in China right now

I have zero difficulty believing this.

I have personally stood in a hospital, clad in a medical gown doing rounds, standing in obedient silence while the doctor "teaching" me used every trick in her book to try and get a very sick and frail old man's family to remove him from the hospital. I was personally told by doctors in that same hospital that things like this happen all day, every day because the doctors are under pressure to have very low numbers of in-hospital death statistics each year.

I got tired of having to keep silent when things like this happened (it was far from the only time) and realized that opening my mouth would change nothing, except for perhaps my ability to avoid living in a Chinese prison, so I did not continue my medical education in China.

I made my final decision on the day when the political dissident-cum-prisoner of conscience Liu Xiaobo was discharged into the "care" of a hospital with late-stage liver cancer in 2017. I knew that the doctors in charge of his case would have been ordered not to save his life, even though at that time it was impossible to do so, anyway. I could not remain a part of such a "medical" system in any way, shape, or form.

I believe it would constitute profound naivete to imagine that the people who were in charge of the medical system three years ago have suddenly become honest souls. They are almost certainly doing everything they can in their considerable power to try and create opportunity out of the humanitarian + public relations disaster the CCP has created this year.

They better hope they are right about the "there is no afterlife" thing they believe in...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walker said:

But you believe those PRC stats? 

In two threads so far (this one and another one regarding disappearing children), you've reminded me of the timeless wisdom of that literary great, Mark Twain, who once said the following:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Starjumper said:

I was confident the US would come out in the lead.

Race.png

Third world countries like African nations will have the highest stats I am afraid.

India (and surrounding areas) with its huge population of very poor people with far less medical resources for everyone would seemingly be the worst hit area in the near future...I can't imagine the horror from this virus that could be compounded there !!

Edited by old3bob

I agree completely that the numbers coming out of China are lies, but then the US probably has a lot of untested people running around.  So, it's true that those numbers aren't absolute, they are only the official numbers, which is all we really have for numbers, and China may well be still ahead of the US.

China has practiced severe quarantine while in the US a lot of people still treat it as kind of a joke.  If the Chinese are going back to work I expect their true numbers to blossom again, while n the US we can be certain it is expanding at a high rate, and if Americans are told t go back to work soon it will be interesting to see what happens.

China has today worriedly reported sporadic cases of reinfection among those given the all clear. 

The reason a large swathe of the US has yet to fully fathom this epidemic is largely a result of Thump's own inability to understand what's going on other than to devise obscene plans to capitalise on this catastrophe to help him stay in office. This is why in my view he's a sub-human. Probably a tired phrase by now, but truth is he dont care for nothing but his own ass. Today he said he will not spend $1 billion on new ventilators, but didn't hesitate to pump a trillion to prop up the stock market. Only a very sick mind is capable of such a despicable thing. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, C T said:

China has today worriedly reported sporadic cases of reinfection among those given the all clear. 

The reason a large swathe of the US has yet to fully fathom this epidemic is largely a result of Thump's own inability to understand what's going on other than to devise obscene plans to capitalise on this catastrophe to help him stay in office. This is why in my view he's a sub-human. Probably a tired phrase by now, but truth is he dont care for nothing but his own ass. Today he said he will not spend $1 billion on new ventilators, but didn't hesitate to pump a trillion to prop up the stock market. Only a very sick mind is capable of such a despicable thing. 

agreed, x100 and up!  And I'd say trump is not exactly mentally ill in a normal way if trying to use such  meaning, but in an all around diabolical and hellish way that is without a shred of human conscience, thus anything goes for him per his full speed downhill run that devours everything and everyone along the way to self destruction.   History is full of such examples that history shows people tend to forget and repeat.

• Haha 1

This is the opinion of someone else, not me:

Kobe's death was the camel that broke USA's back, spreading the virus everywhere (especially LA). 
The Superbowl broke Florida.
In China there were lots of videos online of people caught on security cameras going from store to store spitting on products, purposely spreading the virus. 
This is terrorism, 100%. 
If you don't think that there are people who were sent here to do the same from China (especially here in NY), you are very Naive.

Coronavirus crimes to be punished as terrorism

13 hours ago, Heartbreak said:

Third world countries like African nations will have the highest stats I am afraid.

I think you are correct in that.

21 minutes ago, Heartbreak said:

Photo by Mitchell Gibson on March 28, 2020. Image may contain: text

Actually according to Catholic.org, St. Corona is the saint of ..' Corona is invoked in connection with superstitions involving money, such as gambling or treasure hunting..' (https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=1968)  The Wikipedia also says that.  Corona's memorial day is 24 November (11 November in the Orthodox church calendar) though her & St Victor's feast day is May 14.  

Snopes.com was asked if she was connected to plagues and diseases due to meme/conspiracy theory going around the internet.  There research was - Nope. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/saint-corona-plagues/ .  Humorously, they theorize it was created by the same 'logicians' who believe Corona beer is connected to the virus.  Note- It isn't.  The fact that something was named Corona, doesn't mean its connected.  Or if something happens on May 14th, its doesn't mean it's connected to Israel.  Many things happen on that date cause things have to happen sometime. 

The Pope's meeting doesn't seem too nefarious.  Matter of fact its amazingly tolerant and a 'more open and inclusive education' is one its themes.  A call against discrimination and towards fraternity.  Seems worthwhile, don't know if it'll actually go on due to the Virus but I applaud its goals.  Not that it has much power, any more then the usual yearly such meeting does. 

'To this end, I wish to endorse a global event, to take place on 14 May 2020 on the theme Reinventing the Global Educational Alliance. This meeting will rekindle our dedication for and with young people, renewing our passion for a more open and inclusive education, including patient listening, constructive dialogue and better mutual understanding. Never before has there been such need to unite our efforts in a broad educational alliance, to form mature individuals capable of overcoming division and antagonism, and to restore the fabric of relationships for the sake of a more fraternal humanity".

"There is thus a need to create an “educational village”, in which all people, according to their respective roles, share the task of forming a network of open, human relationships. According to an African proverb, “it takes a whole village to educate a child”. We have to create such a village before we can educate. In the first place, the ground must be cleared of discrimination and fraternity must be allowed to flourish, as I stated in the Document that I signed with the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar on 4 February this year in Abu Dhabi."

With a tiny bit of research, now we know the rest of the story.  That if searching for treasure, Corona's available and that the Pope's meeting on May 14th, if it happens, is surprisingly inclusive and progressive.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dunno...

the only thing inclusive about the Catholic Church, is that hell appears to be open to everyone, while heaven is rather exclusive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How staying at home is enforced in Ecuador, the real action, for men, starts at 0:22

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

The problem with the herd immunity idea

In addition to what is said in the linked page, there is another, maybe bigger problem.  That is, that people, young or old, who require hospitalization and recover have fibrosis in the lungs, and that does not go away very well or at all.  It implies that even young people who are 'cured' will have lifelong problems with limited lung capacity and related problems.

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

The problem with the herd immunity idea

In addition to what is said in the linked page, there is another, maybe bigger problem.  That is, that people, young or old, who require hospitalization and recover have fibrosis in the lungs, and that does not go away very well or at all.  It implies that even young people who are 'cured' will have lifelong problems with limited lung capacity and related problems.

Speaking of lifelong problems, this sudden awareness of the need to be extra cautious in terms of hand washing, sanitizing every few minutes, wiping down every thing, even shoes after being out... all these will leave an indelible mark. I equate this to a trauma. One that will impact on lowering natural resistance, which in itself is a big cause for concern going forward. So much fear and suspicion generated - even a slight cough while queueing could lead to dire consequences. Not being pessimistic, but as newer infections appear, coinciding with the dissipation of natural defence mechanisms, this could spell the end of humanity as we know it. This covid 19 could well be the appearance of the first horseman of the apocalypse. Already there's unprecedented chaos. I'm dreading the future of mankind. 

Edited by C T

16 minutes ago, C T said:

Already there's unprecedented chaos. I'm already dreading the future of mankind.

Tonight you will see dreams of leather clad Mel Gibson chasing rolling toilet paper rolls on desolate highways and cussing when few of them unroll completely into soft lines on the scorched hard asphalt.

Spoiler

In the distance one can hear the engines starting to roar. From behind the cover of a blind intersection corner wild looking motorists and monstrously tuned cars attack with tyres screeching and engine pipes howling. These are no ordinary villains: each vehicle is decorated with sanitation and toilet objects such as actual porcelain toilet seats. Looks groovy within motorcycle side cars! Now the villains are after the last toilet paper rolls and they won't give up the fresh chance of soft hygienic wipe without a fight. The streets know no mercy! And neither does the dreadful villains' need for the soft tissue caress of their sensitive butts.

Spoiler

Toilet paper is the perfect post-apocalyptic currency. Prove me wrong!

Spoiler

How good are your toilet paper scavenging skills anyway? It's the only surefire way to survive unprecedented chaos and dread.

Edited by virtue
  • Haha 1

Now you have certainly turned this discussion into high culture.

Spoiler

One Roll to rule them all, One Roll to find them, One Roll to bring them all and in the comfort bind them.

• Haha 1