LousyLaoTzu

The Effect of Drugs and other Substances on our Spiritual Training!

30 posts in this topic

I would also add most substances are gonna lead to liver qi stagnation and reduced jing with long term use, even one considered medically benign like cannabis. 

2 people thank this

I'm quite sure all substances that can provide or prepare the soil for insight and development are useful in moderation, provided the use is deliberate and directed towards a specific function or goal.

I've personally experienced both positive and negative effects on spirituality, health and development alongside social and productive factors, all of the depending on what i thought i was trying to achieve and wether it was for exploration, self-medication or prescribed medication.

Context, care, dosage and purpose are vital. I'm personally trying as hard as i can to stay away from using alcohol too much or too often because whatever beneficial effect i experience i usually overreach and then pay a disproportionate price for doing so.

I think moderation and purpose is important and that its not necessarily bad nor good per se to use substances for spiritual purposes, but as with everything that has effects on us as human beings and our states of awareness and health there are risks that should not be underestimated. Especially if we speak about psychotropic effects as they can have effects on parts of us that we are unaware of and that we might have to deal with later on, to make an example:

say you have great and liberating spiritual experiences while using cannabis to enhance your meditation or cultivation, but that at the same time as you unfetter your emotional energies and a little of your subconscious there could be a part of you that reinforces a pattern of negative self image without you really being in a position to notice that until later on when a bout of depressive states become especially difficult to dissolve or work through. If your problems became in part unlocked while under the influences and then awarness of that dissipated as the high passed, those problems will be hard to access without resorting to get high again. But since it's not a normalized state where we are fully in control, revisiting that could become not therapeutic but actually another round of reinforcement.

I speak of this from personal experience. I used cannabis as self medication and creative agumentation and ended up feeling like shit for a long time and weed only helped making it worse in the long run.

That said, i'm on a pretty multifaceted regimen of different medicinals, some of which have an effect on awareness, psychological and emotional patterns, it is beneficial still and actually vital at some points so i'm not sure if it is relevant to this thread or not...

2 cents at least?

4 people thank this

I've come to perceive anything I take into myself, particularly my food, as a medicinal.  This mindset has developed naturally through my experiences.  As my sensitivity has increased, so has my experience and understanding that every single thing I take in, affects the whole, exhibits an effect.  We self medicate with food daily, most of us and pay it little to no mind at all.

The manner and quality of my breathing, is perhaps the most potent medicine I have encountered.

The palpable experience of how much impact everything I take into my body has... has altered my perception of power and increased the level of mindfulness in all things I ingest. 

Last few years it's even more imporatnt to me, what I allow to enter my mind and thoughts in the form of news, conversations and what I will allow my mind to ruminate on as these affect my heart and determine to a large degree, the tone of the subtle which infuses the physical.  Everything I ingest and the quality and manner of my breathing and my relational thinking to them are all of vital importance.

Medicine can harm or heal.  My wife and son are both very sensitive to the concentrations of most pharmaceutical medicines and usually take half of what folks their size would take to gain benefit and avoid harm from their doctor prescribed meds. 

I on the other side of the spectrum usually require 50+% more of a compound for efficacy or any affect at all.

Dosage, reason for ingesting, relationship to environment, mental and subtle tone.. all vitally important.

3 people thank this

Going off what you said @silenthunder, I have had periods of my life where my diet was very clean and nourishing, but I was not doing breathing practices and was highly stressed from too much work. Thus, I received very little benefit from my "organic lifestyle"; none of it was circulating properly. It's the old adage "Flowing water never gets stale." Our bodies are not much different. 

(Proper) Breathing practices cause food, drugs, or any other substance to affect us differently than they would without. 

4 people thank this