middle_path

What have you learned from this forum that you consider invaluable?

10 hours ago, Apech said:

You will note that there are certain obsessions on here of which some are political.  One thing I have learned a lot about is American politics and how rubbish it is.  Luckily I am in Europe - which is good but does not make me safe from it all sadly.

You are quite correct that the political system in the USA leaves much to be desired.

Your suggestion that things are better in Europe however is absurd but you are at least correct in your assumption that you are not safe.

I have been away from the forum from some time but it is somehow reassuring to find, on my return, the same old names churning out the same old nonsense.

So what have I learned from this forum that I consider invaluable? Simply that intelligence and cleverness must never be equated with wisdom.

Edited by Chang
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chang said:

You are quite correct that the political system in the USA leaves much to be desired.

Your suggestion that things are better in Europe however is absurd but you are at least correct in your assumption that you are not safe.

I have been away from the forum from some time but it is somehow reassuring to find, on my return, the same old names churning out the same old nonsense.

So what have I learned from this forum that I consider invaluable? Simply that intelligence and cleverness must never be equated with wisdom.

Ouch!

• Like 1

Well, his point is well taken in his last paragraph.

When I have the need to go back and look at something I have said I often wonder if it was wisdom or just bullshit.

6 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Well, his point is well taken in his last paragraph.

When I have the need to go back and look at something I have said I often wonder if it was wisdom or just bullshit.

No need to wonder Marbles! :)

• Like 2

Another thing i've learned from TDBs is how to handle trolls. It took me a few years of getting into internet battles but it was really good training to learn to handle that kind of attack (emotionally, psychologically, and energetically).

This is a skill that most people on the internet lack and thus are easily manipulated into being fodder for keyboard jockeys. It's a key skill for basic PSD. 

Edited by OldSaint
  • Like 9

It's possible for a community on the internet based around the discussion of spiritual/metaphysical topics to not only thrive with a large and consistent userbase, but to regularly host interesting and thoughtful discussions between experienced and intelligent individuals.

I know people talk about trolls and political debates and all that, but coming out of the "Western occult" scene, this place was like a paradise. I think it's worth considering how much of a jewel this site is compared to some of the alternative venues for discussing these topics.

And of course a specific shoutout to the Flying Phoenix thread, which is not only one of the best collections of ongoing discussion about Qigong and related topics I've found on the internet, but which introduced me to an incredible system of healing and spiritual cultivation unlike anything else I've encountered.

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 11

Participating in this forum has helped me to see just how strongly I can identify with a particular view or opinion. It's pointed out when my ego is too engaged. It's helped me to let go of the need to be correct and the need to have the last word. I've still got a long way to go but this is a good place to study yourself.

• Like 12

Searching this forum for a good qigong set to compliment my martial arts, I discovered my qigong teacher/system that Has benefitted me greatly. 

Also I've networked with people and made connections which is awesome. I feel many "seekers" on here have very small if any communities to share insights with (irl)

• Like 10

I've met and read from friends, teachers and interesting people who have inspired me and made me stretch my mind a bit.  I've learned specific things that I incorporate into my daily practice like the sitting style of Stillness Movement meditation.  I've had adventures like flying to Phoenix, meeting other bums, hiking with them, including searching for ET's in the desert and sharing a Kunlun seminar weekend.

I've been awed by depth of many here present and past.  The esoteric and the down to earth.  The gift of there insights and tales of there training, even such seeming mundanity of simple training logs have been inspiring. 

I've learned, perhaps taught as well as fought; been trolled and trolled others over the years here.  Been moderator and suspended.  An early joiner.. if 3 years is a generation in Internet Time, then I'm a great grandfather here.  Seeing members come, go, burnout, trollout.. even die.

I've written some good stories here and used the PPD's as a bit of a diary.  Reading my old blog posts is like looking through a time portal. 

• Like 9

I've learned that I'm not alone; in what I think, feel, see, know.

For me, there is nothing more valuable than that.

• Like 10

I've learned a lot from my interactions here. Every exchange with my fellow bums was a learning experience, no matter good or bad. I found we're all students and teachers at the same time. When you learn from others, you act as a mirror to them and they might not like the reflection. Likewise maybe you choose to walk away from certain perspectives or energies. All this can make it seem like you are falling out with members but remember that every interaction was not random and a greater energy is at play. The DaoBums is like an interplay of collective energy seeking to enlighten itself. You should thank every player in this interplay, and remember that you might come full circle one day and get closer to the people you grew apart from. The truth is you've never moved from them, and that all perspectives dissolve into Oneness. No one can preach that his path to Truth is the only correct path. That is sure to alienate this person from others. There is no need to argue in the forums or prove others wrong. Only to learn from each other. Remember that when interfacing with Intelligence there are infinite possibilities, and only a few when using the intellect. That's why you can learn from everyone here, and everyone has their place. No one is lower than you and everyone here is your spiritual friend. So just follow your interactions, respect everyone as much as possible, and see where it leads you. Hopefully to a place of peace and acceptance of yourself and others. Of equanimity.

• Like 8

You can complain about having to be political correct just as long as the cops can keep killing nonwhites in the U.S. at a staggering rate.

I'm a right!  Go cop murder.

As far as learning - the real question is how much can a person unlearn.

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/04/10/idiot-s-guide-to-taoist-alchemy/

We need to unlearn the square root of two, for example, among other things.

But it will all get unlearned pretty soon.

https://guymcpherson.com/2017/02/faster-than-expected/

The arctic will be ice free probably this fall for the first time in close to 3 million years.

That certainly will be a very P.C. event I'm sure!

All the self-congratulating liberals will break out cigars.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

A black person stopped by a cop in the US is more likely to have hands laid upon them than is a white person but the white person is more likely to be killed.

Brian - I have a master's degree. I took statistic in college. Do you really think that right-wing weak-minded propaganda can slip past me? haha. You should know better.

a black person shot and killed by police is more likely to have been unarmed than a white person.

All I did was google your statistic propaganda b.s. - it's a common lie.

Also note I stated "nonwhites" - I didn't say just black people but yes the first "cops" in the U.S. were created as "slave patrols" to round up black people.

White people started out as endentured servent slaves just as blacks did - so the cop problem is more of a class economic problem then a skin color problem.

Don't get fooled by the divide and conquer ideology of the elites. Cops work to protect "private property" of the elite.

Does a deer or a bird know when someone's property starts and ends? Well yes if their body property is being molested. haha. If a deer smells you then they will snort and stamp their hoof - to feel your pressure wave come back to them - as well.

Property is originally more of an overlapping existential phenomenon with every individual having a niche based on time and frequency.

Slavery as an industry was expanded under Jim Crow laws and now the private prison population that is booming in the U.S. as slave labor for "investors."

Wall st. expands via fiat money enforced by the U.S. military weapon spending that is about 50% of the global total with the U.S. military bigger than the next 7 militaries - and of course the U.s. exports weapons to those other militaries as well.

The whole global economy is one big "missile envy" contest. haha. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.41efea6e9567

As of Sunday, 1,502 people have been shot and killed by on-duty police officers since Jan. 1, 2015. Of them, 732 were white, and 381 were black (and 382 were of another or unknown race).

African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

Edited by voidisyinyang

Please keep this thread on subject. 

(Brian and voidisyinyang) why don't you create a new thread in Off-Topic (or elsewhere) to discuss your interest. 

-The Mods.

• Like 3

I have learned that there are times when we can go off topic and no one cares but there are other times when it is preferred that we remain on topic.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I have learned that there are times when we can go off topic and no one cares but there are other times when it is preferred that we remain on topic.

No it's just the Male Chimp pack on thetaobums getting stirred up.

For example Brian - I called him Brian as does the"learner" - you would think he "owns" this thread right because of his name?

Yet Brian died at a young age due to ejaculation addiction as dopamine addiction. Ejaculation addiction is the original sin - loss of lunar psychic qi energy - and so Brian, Graham Chapman had to have trysts every night as ejaculation squared -  thereby spiking his cortisol in a positive feedback. This then led to Grahman Chapman being an alcoholic which is also a dopamine buzz addiction that spikes cortisol - just as with ejaculation addiction.

Thus is the real Life of Brian. haha.

Carry on "thelerner" tell us about how great nuclear power is in Chicago where blacks get murdered en masse.

4 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

No it's just the Male Chimp pack on thetaobums getting stirred up.

For example Brian - I called him Brian as does the"learner" - you would think he "owns" this thread right because of his name?

Yet Brian died at a young age due to ejaculation addiction as dopamine addiction. Ejaculation addiction is the original sin - loss of lunar psychic qi energy - and so Brian, Graham Chapman had to have trysts every night as ejaculation squared -  thereby spiking his cortisol in a positive feedback. This then led to Grahman Chapman being an alcoholic which is also a dopamine buzz addiction that spikes cortisol - just as with ejaculation addiction.

Thus is the real Life of Brian. haha.

Carry on "thelerner" tell us about how great nuclear power is in Chicago where blacks get murdered en masse.

***MOD TEAM WARNING***

Your verbal attacks on members, the derailing of threads to suit your narrative, and

the uncivil environment you create within your own threads will not be tolerated any further.

I hoped you would return with a little different attitude, this has not been case. 

This is and will be your only and final warning before facing mod action.

Should you have any questions regarding the rules or terms of service set for TDB,

please refer to the pinned topics here.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2017 at 6:37 PM, middle_path said:

I have to say I am amazed by this place. Everyone here truly is a community and wisdom abounds like fruit on a tree in late spring. I have learned much and have much more to learn. 

What about you? What have the users of this forum taught you? 

1. I still think DB has the best online discussion I've ever seen on (the) ZZ, and, I would imagine, it would rival (some) academic books as well – especially given the opportunity you have to actually ask people questions and given the presence of people who are decent translators.

2. It's been helpful for me to deepen my understanding of Wu Tai Chi, Internal Alchemy, retaining and various other things.

3. It's also been very helpful comparing notes with people about experiences and health.

There's more, but I'll leave it there. :)

• Like 5

Silent thunder helped me understand the idea of just being, effortlessly.

I feel that that's a very Buddhist and Taoist principle, and is what the meditative mind is about.

Thanks ST!

• Like 5

let me 'bump' this up to see if it stays on track and gets brings on any insights as per the OP.

<still searching for the coffee thread>

8 minutes ago, thelerner said:

let me 'bump' this up to see if it stays on track and gets brings on any insights as per the OP.

<still searching for the coffee thread>

I have learned that a lot of our members drink coffee.