MooNiNite

Is the earth round/spherical?

Earth Shape  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

That is right !  I am rewarding you with my creations poetical   :)

Did you enjoy them ? 

I tried.  But Copernicus and Galileo, right or wrong, aren't con men to me, nor were they crazy -- even though they were called those names by their contemporaries who didn't believe the earth and the sky were what our contemporaries believe they are. 

MY contemporaries -- and I do differentiate between people whose mind is open and people whose mind is open so wide that stuff starts falling out -- who go against the grain also occasionally earn my respect.  I don't buy every crazy idea out there just to be unconventional, but I know for a fact that the craziest con artistry is accomplished by breeding the kind of constituency that buys ANY orthodoxy and denounces ANY unorthodox idea.  Buy anything just because it's advertised by the Big Brother, no less?..   I'm not always in a rush to the final sale.  I have my own perceptions about me, I don't need them to tell me who is a con artist and who is mistaken and who is the new Copernicus.  That kind of a problem with me. 

• Like 3

I now realize my mistake here .....   what was I thinking ?

Offering curved  bananas here ....   :unsure:

I hope I can retract that and substitute these

4492791650_d39464d830.jpg

• Like 1

I now realize my mistake here .....   what was I thinking ?

Offering curved  bananas here ....   :unsure:

I hope I can retract that and substitute these

4492791650_d39464d830.jpg

You remind me of a Latin teacher I once had, who habitually answered questions he didn't know the answer to by saying: "Why are bananas curved?" Soon after I had finished school, I happened to find some straight bananas in a grocery store. I sent him one of them, accompanied by an explanatory letter. Not surprisingly, I never received a reply. But a few years later, his daughter told me that mum had presented the parcel with the banana adequately by positioning it in the centre of his desk. Looks like it was a really nice surprise... :D

• Like 1

The earth is square means that what is seen the physical material, earth. Heaven is round refers to that of the unseen the non material, having no form. Yin and Yang. The method of Observation of the chinese in early BC. is now the model for modern astronomy.

Did early chinese astronomy ever believe the earth would be different in appearance like being flat  then the sun, stars and the moon in the sky we look at every day?

• Like 2

The earth is square means that what is seen the physical material, earth. Heaven is round refers to that of the unseen the non material, having no form. Yin and Yang. The method of Observation of the chinese in early BC. is now the model for modern astronomy.

Did early chinese astronomy ever believe the earth would be different in appearance like being flat  then the sun, stars and the moon in the sky we look at every day?

The subject is in regards to the actual shape of the earth and not ancient belief systems. The shape of the earth has been carefully measured and therefor is a settled matter.

• Like 2

You remind me of a Latin teacher I once had, who habitually answered questions he didn't know the answer to by saying: "Why are bananas curved?" Soon after I had finished school, I happened to find some straight bananas in a grocery store. I sent him one of them, accompanied by an explanatory letter. Not surprisingly, I never received a reply. But a few years later, his daughter told me that mum had presented the parcel with the banana adequately by positioning it in the centre of his desk. Looks like it was a really nice surprise... :D

Hmmm ... confused as I dont know why you would think I am like the guy that didnt know the answer to any question  whistling2.gif

... besides ...  when that d          if that did happen (on 'an' internet forum ) ... I would just leg it ...     kiss.gif

... or was it the flat banana that  reminded you ?

- watermelon anyone ? 

_1390088_watermelons300ap.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

You know, medical science has shown that someone's belief system can radically change due to a blow to the head or other similar trauma .

Apparently the same techniques can be used to flatten out the earth .

Nungali's belief clinic is now open 

pro-wrestling-piledriver-o.gif

• Like 1

Well round,spherical,

When I was a kid it was the flat burbs,now we live in hilly country,undulating.

Nullarbor pretty flat.

So is the earth round or spherical,it really is so much more.

Different for everyone.

Round maybe can be described as that round spherical planet the bluish green one over there.

• Like 1

I will pass on the instructions.  Find yourself another crash dummy.

I do believe past experience has had the same effect on you ... your beliefs seem flexible . 

Nothing improves the 'dummy' better than having its beliefs crashed into reality. 

• Like 1

Well round,spherical,

When I was a kid it was the flat burbs,now we live in hilly country,undulating.

Nullarbor pretty flat.

So is the earth round or spherical,it really is so much more.

Different for everyone.

Round maybe can be described as that round spherical planet the bluish green one over there.

Hmmm ... good one... 

The earth is flat on the Nullabor, and the Hay Plains ... to the extent that it can weird your perception out ... when I was there , out in the middle of BFN ... after sunset, when the sky darkened and the stars started to come out, they did it directly overhead, and it spread down in a dome to make a black starry sky with a rim of blue  underneath all around the horizon ... then it dropped further to all black and stars - amazing.

But  the Earth is round  , and that is a bit hard to tell, unless one is 'over there'. 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Hence the lines in that famous poem ....

Down here - neither has any clout , 

as I  I would not be here

if NASA is 'found out'  . 

Edited by Nungali

I have a new question:

Is the Earth profound/farcical?

Answer yes, no, yes and no, no and yes, neither, something else, or what earth?

Edited by Apech
  • Like 1

Well, all the Aussies wouldn't be "down under" if the world were flat.

Those slackers..

they'd be 'down under'

where ever they were.

with affection

M.

• Like 2

I have a new question:

Is the Earth profound/farcical?

Answer yes, no, yes and no, no and yes, neither, something else, or what earth?

Tuesday.
  • Like 1

Those slackers..

they'd be 'down under'

where ever they were.

with affection

M.

We have been here before:

1. There is no 'up' on a sphere in space . 

2. 'You northerners' have a natural southern orientation towards the path of the Sun, where our's is northern  ... the same as all the maps (including yours ). 

3.  So you have to do 'map rotation' to find your way around.

4.  And we dont   :P

5. So if anyone is 'upside down' or down underneath ... it is you guys.

6. Which is why you are all so confused    ( I  mean ... look at the post above this one  ....    tisk  tisk  no.gif ) . 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Hmmm ... confused as I dont know why you would think I am like the guy that didnt know the answer to any question  whistling2.gif

... besides ...  when that d          if that did happen (on 'an' internet forum ) ... I would just leg it ...     kiss.gif

... or was it the flat banana that  reminded you ?

Yes, it was just the banana. Because you really don't share any traits with that teacher. If we neglect feeling provoked somewhat easily, anyway. Not to mention a sense of wicked humour*... Oh, and an interest in extinct languages, of course...

* But yours is much BETTER! :)

- watermelon anyone ? 

_1390088_watermelons300ap.jpg

Edited by Michael Sternbach

There are heaps of sources .   And there are heaps of types of it.  On a very basic level it can make you anything from more cautions to totally paranoid, just as a physical reaction and there are other similar psychological associations  ( based on the person not believing  they were as safe as they were.

Then there is what some call 'mood' changes , running all the way through to ' personality change' . One of the first famous cases of that ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage#M3

I have also seen this after someone has a heart attack.  Even a long time spouse turn against the other  as virtually overnight they have changed their beliefs about them , 

It might be debatable that 'personality disorder '  is a change in beliefs ... but many who suffer it  have changed their beliefs to what they were before, in this case to  irrational and strange ones. Brain trauma can be a cause of psychosis.

Some types of amnesia, where the whole concept of who one is is forgotten ....  have changed their belief about knowing who they are. 

Brain degeneration can lead to a life changing  religious experience  " ...  results showed significantly greater hippocampal atrophy in individuals reporting a life-changing religious experience. "

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/religious-experiences-shrink-part-of-brain/

Neurological Disorder and Religious Experiences: Another source of data on the relationship between brain function and religious experiences is the result of brain disease or injury. Most remarkable are the descriptions, found in both anecdotal accounts and the literature of clinical neurology, regarding intense religious experiences associated with temporal lobe epileptic seizures. In a small group of patients with this form of seizure disorder, intense religious awe, ecstasy, or feelings of divine presence occur as a consequence of the abnormal electrical activity of the brain that constitutes the aura leading up to a seizure. For example, one patient gave the following description of the experience of the aura: “Triple halos appeared around the sun. Suddenly the sunlight became intense. I experienced a revelation of God and of all creation glittering under the sun. The sun became bigger and engulfed me. My mind, my whole being was pervaded by a feeling of delight.”13

http://www.issr.org.uk/latest-news/neuroscience-and-religious-faith/

..... wait a minute !    .... you could look all these up yourself      ....     <_<

S

• Like 1

Well, all the Aussies wouldn't be "down under" if the world were flat.

Hi Marblehead,

Down under,sure.

Flat,sure.

Round,sure.

Spherical,yep,why not?

Has anyone felt the earth spinning with a bias or wobble.

And time,'quickening',faster and faster we go.

Thankyou Marblehead,your post are a treat for all.

• Like 1