nine tailed fox

how to love unconditionally

i have read everywhere that you should love unconditionally

but i dont get one thing

its not like you just decide and you will start loving unconditionally

it just doesnt happen

there are two possible solutions for it

may be unconditional love is just a side effect of cultivation, and it cant be developed consciously

or may be you can actually develop it with some sort of technique or meditation (like i have read that there are loving kindness meditation )

so how does it develop and if there is a meditation to develop it, pls describe

You love people unconditionally by accepting them as they are. You can only do this when you accept yourself as you are.

• Like 2

When you see from a deeper level that 'you and other' are indistinguishable.

A woman is not going to agree with that!

than what is the meaning of preaching all the time to love unconditionally

if it cant be developed unless you are a very advanced spiritually

Babies do it.

No cultivation necessary.

It's our default state is loving unconditionally but time and conditioning tends to change that.

Find the right person to settle down with and one soon remembers 'how to'.

• Like 1

than what is the meaning of preaching all the time to love unconditionally

if it cant be developed unless you are a very advanced spiritually

Think of it more like a higher ideal. :)

Loving unconditionally sounds good, but it is really a misnomer... At the level of ego/mind, love is seen as an exchange or trade. Romantic love is you love me and I will love you. True love (or unconditional love) is the natural product of forgiveness. If you can forgive everyone (including yourself) for everything, than you have unconditional love...

But the mind/ego loves conditions... :)

• Like 1

When we use our awareness to discriminate, we use our discrimination to decide how to dispense our energy (love).

When we allow our awareness to radiate outward with complete trust, rather than discrimination, it turns into a type of vision, because we aren't controlling the edges of it, but listening to them as they flow in all directions.

When we think of this in terms of a vision, the same is true of the vision in our eyes, which we train to a certain bias instead of seeing all.

A taoist looks at nothing but sees all.

Let me speak against unconditional love. For my family and some friends I may have it. But strangers.. everyone?? No. At best I have a default setting of like and conditional respect. That's it.

To claim I love everyone and would sacrifice the same manner I'd do with family and friends is simply not true. Truthfully I have a fear of such unconditional love. The feeling that the world would suck the marrow from my bones if I allowed yourself to be that vulnerable to everyone.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Think of it more like a higher ideal. :)

Loving unconditionally sounds good, but it is really a misnomer... At the level of ego/mind, love is seen as an exchange or trade. Romantic love is you love me and I will love you. True love (or unconditional love) is the natural product of forgiveness. If you can forgive everyone (including yourself) for everything, than you have unconditional love...

But the mind/ego loves conditions... :)

Unconditional love is not tied to ethics or morals. There is no need to forgive, as forgiveness implies judgment and unconditional love does not judge in the first place.

...there are two possible solutions for it

may be unconditional love is just a side effect of cultivation, and it cant be developed consciously

or may be you can actually develop it with some sort of technique or meditation (like i have read that there are loving kindness meditation )...

I think you can use methods to actively increase your compassion, and it's also a side effect of your other cultivation, but compassion isn't complete without wisdom and vice versa.

I hope these posts are helpful: the four immeasurables and three more methods. :)

• Like 1

Unconditional love is not tied to ethics or morals. There is no need to forgive, as forgiveness implies judgment and unconditional love does not judge in the first place.

Forgiveness is the method. If one truly forgives, they are letting go and hence not judging. Unconditional love (or no attachment to judgements about the person) is the result.

Best wishes.

If you examine the fundamental nature of our basic awareness it already unconditionally allows and embraces everything.

Forgiveness implies judgment was only your own judgment. One still can forgive without judgment. One can forgive without asking who is right or wrong but just to forgive to begin with.

I will forgive whoever had used words against me in the past or future. It is because I am in the process of the Cultivation of the Mind. Forgiveness without judgment is part of the Cultivation of the Mind by following the principle of Wu Wei. You see, Wu Wei takes me a long way....!!!

Edited by ChiDragon

Is called empathy. or compassion. Don't like the term unconditional love...too Christian and not Chinese enough. To understand who and what they are without feeling pity for them. You must lose your ego for this to happen.

• Like 1

Forgiveness implies judgment was only your own judgment. One still can forgive without judgment. One can forgive without asking who is right or wrong but just to forgive to begin with.

I will forgive whoever had used words against me in the past or future. It is because I am in the process of the Cultivation of the Mind. Forgiveness without judgment is part of the Cultivation of the Mind by following the principle of Wu Wei. You see, Wu Wei takes me a long way....!!!

You should not try to go around forgiving everyone, Mr Chi Dragon, or you'd get the stares. Additionally, thats a luxury seen to be reserved for the papacy.

TI is correct, judgement and forgiveness are tied together in a knot. Neither is entirely helpful, with the latter serving as a form of pacification based upon intellectual compensatory habitual needs.

• Like 1

You should not try to go around forgiving everyone, Mr Chi Dragon, or you'd get the stares. Additionally, thats a luxury seen to be reserved for the papacy.

I will forgive you for passing a judgement on me....... :):D

• Like 2

Forgiveness implies that someone or something has done someone or something wrong.

Unconditional means that there are no conditions. None.

That means that unconditional love is without conditions. You love the child molester. You love he murderer. You love yourself, warts and all. Get the point?

Forgiveness implies that you have been a victim.

You can learn more about he term "forgiveness" here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness

If you guys don't see that then perhaps English is not your forte and there is no point talking to you. But I forgive you. :)

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Most world religions include teachings on the nature of forgiveness, and many of these teachings provide an underlying basis for many varying modern day traditions and practices of forgiveness. Some religious doctrines or philosophies place greater emphasis on the need for humans to find some sort of divine forgiveness for their own shortcomings, others place greater emphasis on the need for humans to practice forgiveness of one another, yet others make little or no distinction between human and divine forgiveness.

This is my English.

Are all animals included in this love unconditional?

Or is it conditional, humans only thing?

My bird loves me but bites me anytime when he likes it.... :(

I guess it's unconditional.... :)

• Like 2