thelerner

What do you think the forum can do to attract some quality teachers?

Thanks for your reply.

In terms of pinning interviews which were the product of a lot of effort and generous contribution, I never objected to them being pinned at all. Never would and never will. Everything valuable should be made easily accessible.

I don't think Trunk ever objected to that and I don't recall anyone suggesting pinning the interviews.

What I personally recall objecting to was giving "teachers" administrative level control over searchable sub-forums.

A PPF can serve exactly the purpose you (and certain teachers) are/were after, it just doesn't allow the teacher to improve their web presence through TTB's.

I still think that is a Pandora's box, particularly with respect to administration of the board.

That said, I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other as a member what direction TTB's goes, although I do think the level playing field/cafeteria model is what this board does best.

To give "teachers" a higher level of administrative control over searchable sub-forums takes the board in a very different direction.

I put teachers in quotation marks because the first hurdle will be to determine how teachers will be selected and/or defined and by whom...

Anyway, I don't want to draw this out because it seems like TTB's is taking a positive step in the direction you seem to favor so it will be interesting to see how that develops and where the board goes from there.

And for any teachers who genuinely want to offer teachings and more info on TTB's for the membership, a PPF is a great way to go, currently available, free, and effective - just not a good way to self- promote. The structure of the PPF forum could even be fine tuned in a way to make them more accessible and more controllable (if necessary).

Thanks for listening.

I have never been in favour of giving teachers any kind of mod control over searchable areas. I just wanted to make that clear because it is continually posited as if I did. I also don't really think a ppf meets the issue in hand which is in my view repeatedly misconstrued. Other people may have suggested such things but I would be against them.

My ideas were always around using the interviews as a basis for inviting teachers in to TBs and providing a resource for members. And then building on that to provide further engagement with teachers on here controlled completely by the mod team.

Having made that clear, I am going to stop banging my head against this particular brick wall.

My sincere best wishes to both you Steve and also Trunk.

• Like 1

Hey Trunk, and sorry if this has been answered, I am skipping most of the posts.... what if I go to interview some really awesome Daoist author... get 50 questions from members, and some of them are just... uhm..... not the sort of questions I would want to ask a respected elder sort of thing? I can selectively choose the questions I use right? ;)

When we did the Bruce Frantzis one I put all the questions together under general headings like questions about him, his life, his books, practice, advice and so on and then filtered out any that repeated and then to be honest took out any that seemed a bit daft (?) ... there were a lot a questions so it was more about thinning them down than building them up.

You going to write to JAJ???? Cos I'll help with creating the interview form if you like?

• Like 2

I have been attacked and abused many times in the chat room.

I can't take it any more.

I have been called a demon and had folk try to exorcise me.

I have been called an alien.

I have been told I practise black magic.

I have been told I am an evil sorcerer.

I have been called possessed.

I have been told I was an android.

I have been lied to and misled.

It never ends.

I have had this treatment all week.

I shall have to leave taobums.

I really really loved it here.

I am just a writer with a mental problem.

Sorry.

kthxbye

:(

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

I have never been in favour of giving teachers any kind of mod control over searchable areas. I just wanted to make that clear because it is continually posited as if I did. I also don't really think a ppf meets the issue in hand which is in my view repeatedly misconstrued. Other people may have suggested such things but I would be against them.

My ideas were always around using the interviews as a basis for inviting teachers in to TBs and providing a resource for members. And then building on that to provide further engagement with teachers on here controlled completely by the mod team.

Having made that clear, I am going to stop banging my head against this particular brick wall.

My sincere best wishes to both you Steve and also Trunk.

I don't think there is any wall there when it comes to interviews... no one, to my knowledge, has ever blocked or even discouraged interviews. If that is inaccurate, I stand corrected.

I also freely admit that I did not previously have the inclination or time to get involved in arranging or conducting any.

I suspect Trunk and the other mods back then felt the same.

That could change for me in the future, one never knows.

That is up to the members to propose, carry out, and I've never seen any resistance to having them published or pinned...

I will now disengage as well.

Best to you also Apech.

In case you want to use our awesome stats to help entice folks to come be interviewed by us:

We have 3880 members

Over 100,000 topic views per month (not sure if that is members only or general public too?) On a side note, apparently my PPF is the most viewed!????

When we did the Bruce Frantzis one I put all the questions together under general headings like questions about him, his life, his books, practice, advice and so on and then filtered out any that repeated and then to be honest took out any that seemed a bit daft (?) ... there were a lot a questions so it was more about thinning them down than building them up.

You going to write to JAJ???? Cos I'll help with creating the interview form if you like?

I never thought of contacting him! lolololol I do have a couple of other folks in mind too ;). I've done a LOT of interviews, I think I'm good :D. Hmmm speaking of that, perhaps we can post a few interview templates by members to give interviewers ideas....

I'm thinking of creating a "hey please come be interviewed by our forum" template too... and perhaps get a few others as well that people can start with if they want.

• Like 2

Apech, There has obviously been some confusion/mis-communication/mistaken conflation amongst us between the ideas of "teacher's forum" and "interviews". fwiw, if it helps to clarify anything, my recollection is similar to Steve's.

For any moderator that has served 6 months continuously, TTBs owes them a month at the spa~resort of their choice. :D

• Like 2

Exactly...lots of people who arrive here are brand new. They don't realize that many things which pass for spiritual practices can mess up the nervous system, create psychiatric problems, etc.

I'll create a thread on this in the Office section. Possible pitfalls of energy practice, practitioner beware, practically every statement should be preferenced w/ In My Opinion but isn't.

We can check what we say to new members now and discuss new Warnings wording etc., Maybe if people get into the habit of posting to the initial Warning post, it'll come off as less confrontation.

• Like 1

For any moderator that has served 6 months continuously, TTBs owes them a month at the spa~resort of their choice. :D

Where should I send my receipts?

• Like 2

{Not posting as mod}

Interesting that this appears on a thread that includes how teachers leave due to trolls. You've taken a post from SoG's PPF and rewritten the same argument you posted there. I think thats a little trolly. Maybe you've got a point and he should post a warning every now and then, but its his thread, his system, his thinking. If you don't agree with it. You can post a warning, then leave it alone and let him do his thing and you do yours.

Personally I think SoG is a man with experience and some deep knowledge. I like his posts. Its interesting to learn about and try new techniques sometimes.

I have warnings up- in red bold font

I also talk to individuals using my techniques privately in PMs.

I also tell them to take it slowly- even though they are asking to go faster.

A couple of people on my PPF are using my techniques with great success- according to them.

Check out the PPF, it puts the arguments to rest

Also understand something.

I am not using my PPF to Promote or sell anything.

No books, no web site no private lessons.

This is straight up Altruism

I use my limited time to help others for free.

Instead, I am using it now to defend myself against taunts and trolls.

• Like 5

I emailed three well known authors to see if they would be willing to do an interview with us :).

I'll just leave the "who" as a surprise for now :D.

• Like 2

I have warnings up- in red bold font

I also talk to individuals using my techniques privately in PMs.

I also tell them to take it slowly- even though they are asking to go faster.

A couple of people on my PPF are using my techniques with great success- according to them.

Check out the PPF, it puts the arguments to rest

Also understand something.

I am not using my PPF to Promote or sell anything.

No books, no web site no private lessons.

This is straight up Altruism I use my limited time to help others for free.

Instead, I am using it now to defend myself against taunts and trolls.

I'm a fan of your PPF. I'm sorry you've erased some dynamic analysis of Mo Pai. I'd rather have someone post a single line to a thread that says, 'Newbies beware, caveat emptor..etc.,' then have people post multiple troll-like comments.

• Like 3

What might be this sudden interest in attracting quality teachers, hmmmmmm?

Didn't Trunk leave a note (off-topic, actually) a few deci-threads ago about this forum being one steam-table away from being a cafeteria, but definitely NOT a place for teaching to occur?

Trunk— Would you care to clarify your seemingly anti-teacher bias suddenly doing a 180?

Perhaps is it now deemed a betterment in terms of TTB's perceived status as opposed to the benefit of the bums.

And who might be determining what constitutes a teacher?

Hahhahahhahahahhaa!!

• Like 2

Chat rooms are cesspools. Don't swim in them.

I hope you won't leave TTB.

Actually they're quite enjoyable if everyone acts in a balanced manner.

• Like 6

Depends on the chatroom...

Btw, I hid about 200 posts within 2 hours by the Captian, while he calms down.... he can't post for a bit (in case everyone wonders where he got to). 99% of his posts said the same thing.

• Like 5

What might be this sudden interest in attracting quality teachers, hmmmmmm?

Didn't Trunk leave a note (off-topic, actually) a few deci-threads ago about this forum being one steam-table away from being a cafeteria, but definitely NOT a place for teaching to occur?

Trunk— Would you care to clarify your seemingly anti-teacher bias suddenly doing a 180?

Perhaps is it now deemed a betterment in terms of TTB's perceived status as opposed to the benefit of the bums.

And who might be determining what constitutes a teacher?

Hahhahahhahahahhaa!!

My perception of it is, a one off interview where the teacher doesn't even come onto the forums, is fine, and not the same thing as some teacher coming on here and having more say or privileges than any other member.....

• Like 4

I emailed three well known authors to see if they would be willing to do an interview with us :).

I'll just leave the "who" as a surprise for now :D.

What a tease. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2

Inteview? How nice! And what of making this forum "attractive" to teachers?

So it's really more of an "attraction" in the programming sense that you wish to make TTb more attractive to "teachers" that have an acceptable notariety…

Phishing for advertisers are we?

yawn…

• Like 2

Inteview? How nice! And what of making this forum "attractive" to teachers?

So it's really more of an "attraction" in the programming sense that you wish to make TTb more attractive to "teachers" that have an acceptable notariety

Phishing for advertisers are we?

yawn

Let's do an interview, deci -- shall we?

:D

• Like 1

hahaha!! It occurred to me someone might get ideas…❤

The real concern on my part is that the freewheeling careerism on the part of Ms Kicks Ass will come to nothing as this kind of shallow opportunism will only "attract" teachers harboring the same kind of careerism…

yawn…

Depends on the chatroom...

Btw, I hid about 200 posts within 2 hours by the Captian, while he calms down.... he can't post for a bit (in case everyone wonders where he got to). 99% of his posts said the same thing.

I thought I was the only one thinking that way.

• Like 1

My perception of it is, a one off interview where the teacher doesn't even come onto the forums, is fine, and not the same thing as some teacher coming on here and having more say or privileges than any other member.....

My recollection is that this is like forum operates like a cafeteria, no privilege for teachers comes down from Sean. He created this site, kept it alive, spent countless hours on it and its become if not a huge success, a pretty good one.

Ultimately this site is Seans house, we merely play in it. We can make suggestions, but need to respect his rules.

• Like 6

The real concern on my part is that the freewheeling careerism on the part of Ms Kicks Ass will come to nothing as this kind of shallow opportunism will only "attract" teachers harboring the same kind of careerism…

yawn…

Now that the migraine has subsided, I think I'll reword that a bit, and just say I feel you are reading a LOT of things into my posts that aren't there at all. Also that I don't appreciate being insulted.

• Like 5

yawn…

As far as i'm aware nobody here makes any profit from this site apart from the owner, so any accusations in that regard are unfounded.

Personally I found the interviews with Bruce Frantzis and Chunyi Lin very useful and interesting, I think they were popular too because they even got pirated onto warez sites like the occult.bz and were downloaded many times, so I would like to see more of them.

• Like 4

As far as i'm aware nobody here makes any profit from this site apart from the owner, so any accusations in that regard are unfounded.

Personally I found the interviews with Bruce Frantzis and Chunyi Lin very useful and interesting, I think they were popular too because they even got pirated onto warez sites like the occult.bz and were downloaded many times, so I would like to see more of them.

Er, I don't think the owner actually makes any profit... doing the math, I think he loses a bit (but is OK with that and feels it is worth it) :).

• Like 5