thelerner

What do you think the forum can do to attract some quality teachers?

Mine's in Great Yarmouth a coupla hours easy drive ( including a stopover along the road for tea and cake) away from here plus he's already online.

He's English too so communication isn't an issue.

He used to look at TTB and previously I've said to him..

" Why don't you go on there and post, might attract customers."

Reply...." I don't want any more students. I'm busy enough as it is."

He is too..

He has classes every weekday up and down the east coast, some days mornings plus afternoons. He's nearly 80 and fit as a flea.

I reckon Sifu Chi Dragon would be in great demand for translation purposes if we air dropped lap tops onto those outback Chinese Hermits and got them to post on TTB.

Would be interesting to hear what they had to say though.

This guy spent some time with Chinese Hermits and wrote a book about it.

Excellent book it is too....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Heaven-Encounters-Chinese-Hermits/dp/1562790412/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397037991&sr=8-2&keywords=Chinese+Hermits

Edited by GrandmasterP

This is a Taoist forum after all. I think when there is a pest problem, Taoists do what's necessary.

Well, don't be asking me to take my swords to any of them.

the quality teachers are deep in the forests of china and other regions. we would have to hire a helicopter to drop laptops down on them, and direct them to the tao bums.

I was thinking more some live webcams at opportune locations... ;).

That simply does not work.

Did you ever see the real Colonel Sanders in any single one of his many fried chicken restaurants?

Oh yes it does work, but there is some requirement.

Don't blame the teacher when you have bad results to your test when you haven't done your homework in the first place.

Task one: see the difference between the Lamb of God and gallinaceans.

:)

• Like 1

I was thinking more some live webcams at opportune locations... ;).

we could prolly get a good discount on Rambo these days.

Edited by MooNiNite

By being "ready for the pickin" I simply was pointing to the fact that you are only ready to learn when you realize there are things you don't know.....having an empty cup that is waiting and willing be filled is important. If one has there head up there ass (we've all been there before!!) and thinks they know everything then they cannot be taught and moreso they would be an extremely tedious person to teach. If your willing to have the courage say "I don't know the answers.....but I really want to learn the truth and am willing to do whatever it takes to get there." Then I think this means one is "ready" to take the next step and become a vessel to be filled. My 2 cents, Peace

having a cup that is ready to have help patching it holes is one thing, but any teacher thinking he or she is going to fill someone else's cup or a student expecting such is foolish.

• Like 1

having a cup that is ready to have help patching it holes is one thing, but any teacher thinking he or she is going to fill someone else's cup or a student expecting such is foolish.

Such metaphors should not be taken so literally. We need to put in the work in terms of cultivation…but the teacher is there to offer effective techniques, knowledge, guidance, and energetic transmission….he can only do so when the student is willing to accept and dedicate himself to the work.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

What is there to teach if the goal is ataraxia?

If ataraxia is the goal....

One learn things one not can.

This is why there are people who,

these are those who teach.

Between the now and the goal is the way.

Such metaphors should not be taken so literally. We need to put in the work in terms of cultivation…but the teacher is there to offer effective techniques, knowledge, guidance, and energetic transmission….he can only do so when the student is willing to accept and dedicate himself to the work.

My 2 cents, Peace

Let's face it, most teachers are not multi-millionaires. They need to earn a living too if they are going to devote the time of being constantly prepared to teach their students. They do it for free after they have become millionaires and retired.

Generally, if the student is paying for the teachings they will have more inspiration to learn.

• Like 1

Pushing for change is the root of all anxieties.

I love dat!

Yeah.

Dat's great.

Dat's right innit.

Don't push.

Await the right time.

Right action of right kind of right amount with right intention and right knowledge and right belief at right time and place.

Wu Wei.

Dat be Magic of Dao.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

I just want to add that all the lessons I have learned during my lifetime I had to pay for them in one way or another.

There ain't no free lunches. Someone's going to pay.

• Like 3

Takin' a deep breath also magic of dao.

;)

/me pulls on black curly wig.

Calm down, calm down...

Dworkin.

Power nuthin' widout control.

/me snickers an' chews his nutz.

;)

• Like 1

Da truth is.

I have fun all day being cryptic.

Am I too cryptic for youze lot?

Ha ha ha!

E Nigma.

Variations.

Int 21+, baby.

/me cackles.

Dat de Laughter Qi Gong of da Ultimate Wizard.

Remember, I can be whoever I want.

Quantum Foom.

• Like 1

We are anonymous here, no self promotion, taking an entertainment break from the actual physical content of cultivation / may be teaching a lineage that has been handed down for hundreds of years.

With passion and love for our art we may choose to engage or just read TTB forum. In the information age mis information is calculated with specific agendas. This is an intellectual platform the physical is lost which is the main component of actual teaching.

Who we teach, There are specific rules of character and their intention. Students unaware of meeting the criteria may not make it past introduction skills taught freely to everyone because they are happy with basic skills.

Lets have some tea and hash out some thoughts with each other.

How do we handle mis information just let it go when there are people that attach wires in some manner to themselves for grounding as an example?

Attracting teachers... well we, they, you, can not be anonymous. published material could be displayed but posting and commenting on articles written is in bad taste. Q&A Masters great but those with web presence have blogs and contact information.

I think its all a great idea and if I knew quality information was being exchanged even better.I do not really want to say this but space panda ad cheapens this place. what type of products do we want to endorse, it says a lot about who we are.

• Like 2

YOUTHFUL FOLLY has success.

It is not I who seek the young fool;

The young fool seeks me.

At the first oracle I inform him.

If he asks two or three times, it is importunity.

If he importunes, I give him no information.

Perseverance furthers.

In the time of youth, folly is not an evil. One may succeed in spite of it, provided one finds an experienced teacher and has the right attitude toward him. This means, first of all, that the youth himself must be conscious of his lack of experience and must seek out the teacher. Without this modesty and this interest there is no guarantee that he has the necessary receptivity, which should express itself in respectful acceptance of the teacher. This is the reason why the teacher must wait to be sought out instead of offering himself. Only thus can the instruction take place at the right time and in the right way.

A teacher's answer to the question of a pupil ought to be clear and definite like that expected from an oracle; thereupon it ought to be accepted as a key for resolution of doubts and a basis for decision. If mistrustful or unintelligent questioning is kept up, it serves only to annoy the teacher. He does well to ignore it in silence, just as the oracle gives one answer only and refuses to be tempted by questions implying doubt.

Given addition a perseverance that never slackens until the points are mastered one by one, real success is sure to follow. Thus the hexagram counsels the teacher as well as the pupil.

-I Ching, hexagram 4, Youthful Folly.

http://www.wisdomportal.com/IChing/IChing-Wilhelm.html#4

Edited by beyonder
  • Like 1

Problem is TB's high search rankings can really put some teacher's reputations at risk. Teachers don't have time to debate all the upstarts or put out every fire that comes up in threads. Perhaps an ability to moderate own threads would make some feel safer, though it still wouldn't give protection from people who are out to attack, because other threads can be used to make indirect criticisms.

Every teacher that comes on here eventually has to deal with the "charging of money" complaint. Most teachers of standing get baited on issues then when they get furious, someone points out that that teacher shouldn't say such angry words. The list goes on of predictable issues that I have noticed over the years.

• Like 4

We'll all teachers really -- teaching ourselves again what we already know....

And we all are the students as well. When we stop learning we are equal to being dead.

• Like 2

Every teacher that comes on here ...

That is why I like BKS's suggestion of teachers having their own PPF in a special "teacher's section" with full control of what posts will be allowed in their PPF.

Problem is TB's high search rankings can really put some teacher's reputations at risk. Teachers don't have time to debate all the upstarts or put out every fire that comes up in threads. Perhaps an ability to moderate own threads would make some feel safer, though it still wouldn't give protection from people who are out to attack, because other threads can be used to make indirect criticisms.

Correct.

That is why I like BKS's suggestion of teachers having their own PPF in a special "teacher's section" with full control of what posts will be allowed in their PPF.

(In addition to what de_paradise mentioned, that criticism would be created in other threads, in open areas of TTBs... trying to solve that through extra moderation to stomp out anything that would be untoward to any certain teacher's view is contrary to TTBs central purpose, also would require *way* way too much moderator resources and would make this place more chaotic than it is.)

Personal Practice Discussion areas already provide that to the extent that it will *ever* be provided at TTBs. Meaning, there is a boundary that TTBs won't provide PPD-level-control where it's google searchable, available to the whole www: that provides too much of an incentive (high traffic) for Emperor Reversed to make power plays in this environment (which is already a problem as it is). This has already been thoroughly thought through at an admin level (not just me).

Listen, if you want a forum that caters to teachers, either many teachers in one forum or a forum specific to a specific teacher/school: GO CREATE ONE. There are SO MANY *free* resources on the web. Write up a vision statement for yourself and create it. Whether it's a blog or a discussion forum or whatever. If you see a teacher that you want to support - and want to co-create for that teacher, *ask* them how you can help them to support their school. A teacher can have a blog, a private forum, *and* a presence at TTBs: they are not mutually exclusive, *any* combination, *EASY* to create in a few minutes or hours.

Even w/in TTBs format, you can start a thread and gather interview questions, interview the teacher, and post the results here as a pdf. A teacher can create youtube videos and those can be posted in threads here.

Create a local practice group where people meet at your house and watch a dvd of your favorite teacher and *practice* together (do it under the guidance of your teacher, or on your own initiative, watch dvds from just one teacher or many different ones, just at your house, or rotate locations with those of your local training partners).

There are *so* many options, if only you get a little creative and use some initiative. It's a waste of good creative energy to try and make TTBs something that it is not, be perpetually frustrated and feel trapped here. You are not trapped here: you have your imagination, your vision, your energy ... there's lots of room to create a variety of resources. The eastern influenced internal arts in western culture desperately needs broad filling out through myriad creative innovation. One place, with one vision statement, will *never* be able to fill that need. Many people need to contribute to create a rich *culture*, in many different ways... not just one forum, not just one teacher, not just one school, not just one subject, not just one format or vision.

- Trunk

• Like 5

Honestly, people really believe that weekend workshops with 50-150 to learn teacher training, or video training is going to cut it in the way of real practice? I'm sort of glad that both sides of an opinion can be offered on here. Not that these things don't have some validity, but nothing at all like small classes or one on one training. Also overpromotion on forums like this gives people the false impression that being famous or talked about a lot actually makes certain teachers better than others. Fortunately we don't have a problem with this sort of thing currently, but some of the suggestions put forward could easily bring things in that direction IMO.

• Like 5

I'm just engaging in the discussion. I have no personal preference. I have been able to make it through many, many changes since I joined TTB. And I have enjoyed almost every minute I have been logged on. (Hehehe. Yeah, there are a few exceptions.)

• Like 3