thelerner

What do you think the forum can do to attract some quality teachers?

Equine necromancy....... ( flogging a dead horse?)

Riding a lively dead horse to the moonshine forest of wandering skeletons.

• Like 3

Well, don't y'all forget that I am still here so there is quality at TTB (and some humor and BS as well).

• Like 2

Riding a lively dead horse to the moonshine forest of wandering skeletons.

You saw my horse racing 'tips' for the Grand National too eh?

• Like 2

Diploma said that he has passed the standard testing procedure and has learned.

It not says how far the skill and abillities is.

It says that to the time he reach the Diploma he has learned that amount to enter the door.

If he get better or worse is by seeing what he is now.

He may be good in the past but how is he now, he have been worse in the past what is he now?

Question. What do you call the guy who scraped through med school stone last in every exam and passed with the lowest grades ever recorded?

Answer...

" Doctor."

• Like 1

It would be quite awesome if more members would use the articles section and their PPFs to write teaching articles :). I would be very happy to provide many sub fora for anyone's PPF if they are so inclined (and feel some organization might help the process).

• Like 4

I'm a level 81 Bar Tender.

I'll help if I can.

I shall try to teach and see what becomes of this endeavour.

My problem is that I try to teach.

And people dispute me.

As if there is the faintest possibility they know better than me.

Unless they definitely have a large degree of spiritual attainment, the whole idea is absurd.

It da truth.

Impeccable.

I shall have to learn to deal with it I suppose.

I would just like a little respect.

Under the circumstances, it's something I might legitimately expect.

Let those who have the ears.

ps I might cut out the nuts and sleep from my handful of nuts and two hours sleep programme. Perhaps sleeping and eating are not for me. I still like to chew my nutz dough.

pps Ah the power of understatement.

;)

ppps I don't have a diploma. Sorry.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

there are definitely some experienced practitioners on this forum, far more experienced than any beginner needs. If you want them to be your teacher follow their posts. Its up to you to find them!

• Like 8

Its not about whether the teacher or their system for that matter is any good ... its about putting it up there so people can make up their own minds and at least know what exactly it is and does. That's as far as I would go. So someone teaches a form of Qi Gong ... so tell us about it ... whats the lineage how does it work and so on and bit about the teacher. Then people can ask questions. All that needs to happen is a modicum of respect ... not the immediate attack ... I don't see the problem. We are not endorsing them ... just confirming they exist, what they do and so on.

But as I say I have suggested this so many times and been told it won't work ... so ...

• Like 6

I still like BKA's suggestion regarding PPFs. Maybe a special category of PPFs? Strictly controlled by the PPF owner with only discussions of the particular practice?

• Like 3

Its not about whether the teacher or their system for that matter is any good ... its about putting it up there so people can make up their own minds and at least know what exactly it is and does. That's as far as I would go. So someone teaches a form of Qi Gong ... so tell us about it ... whats the lineage how does it work and so on and bit about the teacher. Then people can ask questions. All that needs to happen is a modicum of respect ... not the immediate attack ... I don't see the problem. We are not endorsing them ... just confirming they exist, what they do and so on.

But as I say I have suggested this so many times and been told it won't work ... so ...

I like this suggested way of going about it :). It doesn't put some over others, and gives everyone a chance to offer their teachings.

I would post some kung fu stuff if people would be interested in reading it. I've only been doing internal wing chun for about 4 years so I'm no expert, but the ideas of my teachers are quite valuable imo. It would be nothing stylistic but more about alignments and certain ideas/intent that makes things work. There is really not a lot of that stuff on the internet. I tend to see more stuff on forms and not what to actually think about or accomplish in the forms.

• Like 4

I say let's keep the level playing field. As it is, everyone is welcome to claim whatever knowledge, abilities, or authority they like and the rest of us are free to doubt or believe as we will. I like that.

Being a teacher, even one with a degree and a world-wide reputation that spans decades, doesn't mean much. Look at Master Mantak Chia. He's arguably done more than anyone else to bring taoist practice to the West and yet many warn against him. I shudder to think what would happen if he arrived one day to instruct new bums how to pack their chi until they're red in the face, and use the "million dollar point" to manually stop ejaculation. Not that he'd advocate any such thing these days. I'm just sayin'.

I'm betting people would come out of the woodwork to debunk him, and perhaps rightly so. The level playing field allows for that. Bums don't need a special label of "teacher" to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Usually people's posts speak for themselves.

• Like 4

Ouh .. picking due to what kind of criteria, please?

I've met some people that had been more advanced than me at that time all stating that I'd be too bad, not sufficiently mature etc to be taught anything .. for short whiles always I've had SOME bad teachers. That's actually what many people are who want to teach, like those aforementioned people with 5-10 years experience.

5-10 years?? Well, some GOOD people go into retreat for twice of the latter and still feel they are not mature to teach. You don't want the people here to run for the criteria of persons who are worse than that? Doesn't lead to much good.

On the other hand, some people might practice 50 years+, but if they still lack own realization they'll hardly be able to help you, while a 20-year-old with sufficiently cultivation in former life and good practice in this current life might very well be able to do that job. So obviously "practice time alone" doesn't give you a good hint as well, at least not if you consider that "practice time" is not limited to that very life you're living right now.

Doesn't make it more easy, I'm afraid, but I fear those are things you need to think about.

I think those issues are not even OT here, for if you want to discuss about real "teachers" in opposite to just "practicioners of lower or higher level" you really have to consider some of these thoughts, like, what makes a person a "teacher" instead of just an "advanced practicioner"?

Finally, there are different levels of students and different levels of "teachers", and if you're further advanced than someone else you might very well be a teacher for that person, why not? Teaching means basically to help someone to progress, and you'll hardly ever learn to become a good teacher if you never dare to explain anything. It's a difference whether you're just a good practicioner yourself or whether you focus, in your practice, on skills that enable you to help others to procede as well. People are different - some are good fighters, some are good in explanation, some might be good via just showing you something.

Whether you might be able to teach another person something also comes down to whether you have a connection to them, or are able to establish such a connection, for otherwise they won't listen to anything you say anyway.

Well, really not such an easy topic ;)

By being "ready for the pickin" I simply was pointing to the fact that you are only ready to learn when you realize there are things you don't know.....having an empty cup that is waiting and willing be filled is important. If one has there head up there ass (we've all been there before!!) and thinks they know everything then they cannot be taught and moreso they would be an extremely tedious person to teach.

If your willing to have the courage say "I don't know the answers.....but I really want to learn the truth and am willing to do whatever it takes to get there." Then I think this means one is "ready" to take the next step and become a vessel to be filled.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2

I would post some kung fu stuff if people would be interested in reading it. I've only been doing internal wing chun for about 4 years so I'm no expert, but the ideas of my teachers are quite valuable imo. It would be nothing stylistic but more about alignments and certain ideas/intent that makes things work. There is really not a lot of that stuff on the internet. I tend to see more stuff on forms and not what to actually think about or accomplish in the forms.

If you need a PPF, and/or some awesome sub fora for your PPF for this purpose just let me know :). Not that you need them to post the info, but thought I would offer.

If you need a PPF, and/or some awesome sub fora for your PPF for this purpose just let me know :). Not that you need them to post the info, but thought I would offer.

Yeah whatever you reckon. I'll just post anything I think might be helpful.

• Like 1

teacher practice students practice

teacher write students write

(I mean you want a teacher go for it, what are you ? assisted communists ?!) :P

• Like 1

I say let's keep the level playing field. As it is, everyone is welcome to claim whatever knowledge, abilities, or authority they like and the rest of us are free to doubt or believe as we will. I like that.

Being a teacher, even one with a degree and a world-wide reputation that spans decades, doesn't mean much. Look at Master Mantak Chia. He's arguably done more than anyone else to bring taoist practice to the West and yet many warn against him. I shudder to think what would happen if he arrived one day to instruct new bums how to pack their chi until they're red in the face, and use the "million dollar point" to manually stop ejaculation. Not that he'd advocate any such thing these days. I'm just sayin'.

I'm betting people would come out of the woodwork to debunk him, and perhaps rightly so. The level playing field allows for that. Bums don't need a special label of "teacher" to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Usually people's posts speak for themselves.

Good point ... but Mantak Chia and his books are already out there. So most people who come here have probably already come across them or actually read them. That's up to them ... and as long as we are not actually recommending him ... if he were to post on here or submit to an interview by us then we might get better clarity on what is what. Same goes for Spring Forest for instance which gets lots of mentions and a good deal of promotion on here ... but a lot of us don't know much about it. Same for KAP and even Kunlun ... Wang Liping and so on.

• Like 1

Certificates? Diplomas? I think that here on TTB, teachers would need to demonstrate igniting pieces of paper with their special powers, knocking someone out with out touching them, and then levitate, in order to be accorded any respect from some members.

• Like 3

Certificates? Diplomas? I think that here on TTB, teachers would need to demonstrate igniting pieces of paper with their special powers, knocking someone out with out touching them, and then levitate, in order to be accorded any respect from some members.

Now those are exactly the sorts of activities almost designed NOT to be accorded respect from some members.

( Self included).

Light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Probably should have saved all the various certificates and such I've received over the years -- some day you will probably be able to trade a wheelbarrow-load of them for a loaf of bread, Weimar-Republic-fashion.

Members here garner respect based on the quality of character which comes through in their posts and the value of the information they offer. Some readers perceive this quality/value differently than others and gain from posts that which has meaning to them at their particular point along life's path. This is as it should be, in my opinion.

I am opposed to the idea of instituting any manner of centralized TTB accreditation authority. (Anyone surprised?)

• Like 5

Probably should have saved all the various certificates and such I've received over the years -- some day you will probably be able to trade a wheelbarrow-load of them for a loaf of bread, Weimar-Republic-fashion.

Members here garner respect based on the quality of character which comes through in their posts and the value of the information they offer. Some readers perceive this quality/value differently than others and gain from posts that which has meaning to them at their particular point along life's path. This is as it should be, in my opinion.

I am opposed to the idea of instituting any manner of centralized TTB accreditation authority. (Anyone surprised?)

Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for applying for TaoBums accreditation. The Tao Bums relies on enthusiastic support from people such as yourself. Every application is treated with all the care and empathy we can muster.

I regret to say that at this time your application is unsuccessful. The panel after careful consideration decided that you are just not good enough. In fact your submission was one of the most vague and pointless we have received for a very long time.

Please do not be put off by your complete failure at this juncture and feel free to apply again.

Wishing you all the best.

The TaoBums Assessment Team.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 6

Just did a divination on this topic. I love divination :wub:

The question i asked was "How can the TTBs attract more quality teachers to the forum?"

Answer: Emperor-Reversed

-The Emperor generally refers to intense masculine energy and leadership. The ability to use ones will in order organize and direct hot energy. However, this card was in reverse. When the Emperor card is balanced it represents powerful but selfless service to the community and the world at large. When it is imbalanced it represents the desire to contain power for oneself and to subject others with our own Will.

How i interpreted this was that the best way for TTBs to attract teachers is basically to let the "TEACHERS" take a break from being "TEACHERS". Let the Teachers or "Emperors" enjoy the fruits that TTBs has to offer just has everyone else does without the pressure to teach and give advice. Give the teachers the opportunity to waddle and play in the mud a bit as Chuang Tzu would say and be the kids that they are at heart....without "all eyes on them" and all the pressures that they face as TEACHERS in there regular day to day life..

I think many forget that it can be a great burden to be in a leadership position and being a spiritual teacher can be one of the most entangling positions there is because everyone is looking to you for spiritual, emotional, psychological and overall life guidance.....and if you make one foul move Heaven and Earth shatters in the mind of others and people lose there internal pedestal that they've built up for that teacher. Even though the teacher never wanted to be on that pedestal to begin with. :(

If we foster a more open and friendly environment where were all just Bums playing and waddling in the mud together.....having fun talking jive about magic, mysticism, philosophy..etc....not taking ourselves to seriously, whilst the whole time learning and exchanging with each other. Then TTB will become a kind of vacation spot for teachers, where they can talk and share there knowledge freely without having to worry about all the pedestals that people create for them and all the parasitic riff-raf that comes along with being a "spiritual TEACHER". It's not fair for only us young wiper snappers to be having fun....teachers need to play as well and forget all of there responsibilities for awhile. :)

My 2 cents, peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 6

heavy stress on the some there, I think it's important. There are a lot of spokes on this wagon wheel and only a few of them squeak. Of course they're the ones who distract the driver ...

fwiw - your PPF is still a tremendous source of inspiration for me, Dainin (I recommend everyone check in with him once in a while) and I don't recall you ever having set anything on fire without the aid of, um, fire-starting materials :)

• Like 2