TheExaltedRonin

What's the easiest way to live in the present?

Unless we go classic "old master" teaching style:Just be in the present, easy!

My Wing Chun teacher's method...

Shut up, focus, don't get hit.

Don't think....feeeeeeeel hehe

• Like 1

hmm

For me, it's not about work, it's about release.

Effort does not necessarily equal progress, it sometimes impedes it.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

"release" is my very definition of "work"; just goes to show how self-imposing labels can be, which is why studying the Tao is so much more conducive in non-language based modes, and especially matrix-inducing, chi-sucking platforms such as computer/internet discussion. excuse my prose. -_^

• Like 1

Interesting.

I don't encounter release through effort, but then we each walk where and how we walk and perhaps semantics are involved in the definition of work or effort. Hard to say.

Two of my inroads to release are body and breath awareness.

And u call urself a Taoist? :P Just kidding, I know where you're coming from "semantics" in"deed"...; but it should be a given for a Taoist that "work" is inherently "non-work" correlating with effort and non-effort, so when I say work, in Taoist terms, naturally, it actually implies no-work, hence the work is never done :) -Lao Tzu

only when effort is raised, is this "work/effort" committed, though in my work, the work is never acknowledged, hence effort does not arise, therein lies the Tao.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this will help.. Hopefully it doesn't just cause you to trick yourself.. But here's what it feels like:

(Ps. This is my personal experience, I'm sure there might be someone else here who can describe it better or perhaps differently.)

You should feel your 3 fields open up, the dan tian in your abdomen or the ocean of energy; your solar plexus region, that's the central field; and your upper field, (stemming from the pineal gland through your crown aka Nirvana point).

Once these are pumping you might notice a pulling sensation from your central field, like you're being led or sucked forward. Once you get used to that (it's kind of pleasant but needs to be controlled) you get to a stage of clarity and as if you can pluck moments from the future, then fulfil them, rather than being swung around in the whirlpool of society.

Edited by Silent Answers

I'm not sure if this will help.. Hopefully it doesn't just cause you to trick yourself.. But here's what it feels like:

(Ps. This is my personal experience, I'm sure there might be someone else here who can describe it better or perhaps differently.)

You should feel your 3 fields open up, the dan tian in your abdomen or the ocean of energy; your solar plexus region, that's the central field; and your upper field, (stemming from the pineal gland through your crown aka Nirvana point).

Once these are pumping you might notice a pulling sensation from your central field, like you're being led or sucked forward. Once you get used to that (it's kind of pleasant but needs to be controlled) you get to a stage of clarity and as if you can pluck moments from the future, then fulfil them, rather than being swung around in the whirlpool of society.

I like how you worded that, I can definitely relate to the pulling sensation.

For me it's a sensation of being able to feel the currents of a river, the river equates to the conditions of life in the present moment and my release is being able to be where I am most balanced, where there is least effort or intention even required... simple release, being in the flow.

love it.

• Like 1

Nope. Even if you're thinking about stuff in the past or worrying about the future, it's still happening now!

It's still happening now, but you're not in awareness of it. your awareness is yesterday or tomorrow. What we want is awareness of this day, this moment. This is where training the monkey mind ceases the chatter and we can notice the smell of the grass and the feel of the sun on our face. Breathe! Life is here now! your soul probably waited for a long time to have its chance to come into the physical this time. Enjoy the ride right now, even if you're being evicted from your apartment.

• Like 3

Your description of the physical symptoms is good!

My sensation is that my innards are all melting together; feels like a combination of magnetic activity and a slight tingling. They say women feel it more in their ovaries, men in their stomach. But in either case, it's a sign to me that I'm on to the Truth, whatever the situation is. it's like a confirmation to me. It also happens when I am running energy to another through the hands - a feeling of magnetic drain from the ovaries.

• Like 2

Our bodily sensations (whatever form they are manifesting, which can come to include thoughts, emotions, memories, etc.) are always present.

So if we practice constantly returning our attention to them . . . we're constantly returning to the present.

Edited by Lataif

Your description of the physical symptoms is good!

My sensation is that my innards are all melting together; feels like a combination of magnetic activity and a slight tingling. They say women feel it more in their ovaries, men in their stomach. But in either case, it's a sign to me that I'm on to the Truth, whatever the situation is. it's like a confirmation to me. It also happens when I am running energy to another through the hands - a feeling of magnetic drain from the ovaries.

Yes, that's it for me, too.

Do you live in the past or future?

Some do... some don't...

It is really that simple... for me...

• Like 2

It's still happening now, but you're not in awareness of it. your awareness is yesterday or tomorrow. What we want is awareness of this day, this moment. This is where training the monkey mind ceases the chatter and we can notice the smell of the grass and the feel of the sun on our face. Breathe! Life is here now! your soul probably waited for a long time to have its chance to come into the physical this time. Enjoy the ride right now, even if you're being evicted from your apartment.

Absolutely. "Awareness" of what I stated is the key...I guess that's why I said it...to answer idiot_stimpy's (probably rhetorical) question :)

What I mean is, pre-practice, I would get caught up in my past and anxieties of the future. I was none the wiser.

Now I still get anxieties and memories, but because I am now aware that they are simply just present feelings and don't really exist, they can't harm me. Happy memories I let slip through the net...nothing wrong with looking back at fond memories!

But yes, recognising that this is the only moment you will ever have, gives you the freedom to take a good hold of your life.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2

Would it be to commentate in your mind everything your doing?

Ex: I am walking. I am turning my head to look at the sky. I'm looking at the sky. I'm moving to the left to avoid the storm drain. Etc.

Perhaps what the OP was really asking about was how not to live wrapped up in our thoughts, whether past, future, or present.

Certainly we can never be away from the present.

The five senses and thought consciousness always manifest in the present.

And yet most of us, most of the time, are slaves to the narrator that claims the title of "me."

We are not aware that we are not aware. We are dwelling in the past and future and being dragged around on all kinds of adventures and mis-adventures. For me, more often than not, these distractions are a threat assessment or an attraction of some sort.

Many different approaches out there and we all have different aptitudes.

The most important first step, IMO, is to be aware that we are not aware; to be aware of the incessant chatter and distraction.

I personally don't like the method of narrating everything I do to myself as it reinforces the power and role of the narrator.

For me, it is as easy as noticing whether or not I am present, or off on an adventure. As soon as I notice, I'm back.

Then it becomes an issue of maintenance - that's really tough!

That is why mindfulness has such a central role in Buddhism.

Not necessarily because it is an end, in and of itself (although some might argue it is) but because it is the essential element necessary to successfully integrate our training into our daily lives.

So I recommend simply practicing awareness. Pay attention to whether or not you are paying attention.

It may help to wear a simple piece of jewelry like a mala, anything that can be a reminder throughout the busy day.

Lots of experts and systems out there to choose from. The most important thing is to find what works for you.

• Like 2

It has occurred to me that what is happening Here and Now is always happening Outside.

To get back into Awareness, for me, is as simple as going out and seeing what's going on with the birds and squirrels. They are truly here now; taking the time to get into their little birdie world for a moment will snap you to the present real fast. Nature is constant though always changing; but what a wonderful ballast nature is to get away from the monkey mind.

• Like 1

As has been mentioned - you're already present. Each moment is constantly in a state of birth. Past and future are also in the present. There's no place to get to - you can't get to the present - it's more a case of stopping that which obscures this.

Speaking more practically, there are indeed many 'levels' to being present. Just like there are many levels to your being.

Some suggestions above are related to the sensory awareness 'level'. Become aware of sounds, sensations and your vision all at once. This can certainly bring you into the present to some degree. And in fact for most people living in the western world it actually has a very profound effect. This is the same sort of present that a deer is, all of the time...

We also have the 'consciousness' level... the part of us we often define as the monkeymind. The ever creative, ever ingenious conscious mind. This is the part of us that mostly pulls us out of the present (or - in reality - obscures the present moment)... Using awareness (as above) only pushes the conscious mind out of your limited attention temporarily - but your monkeymind is still there, still trying to make itself important.

Ever seen The Dog Whisperer? I love that show. I love it as a metaphor for training your mind. Cesar, the host, usually comes into a household with a dog that thinks it's the pack leader. It's obviously not equipped to lead a pack of humans... but it's been put in a position where it MUST, it would rather die than let down its human companions. It also doesn't really want the job - it's stressful! Especially for a being so underequiped for this.

What Cesar does is he pays attention. He pays attention to very subtle signals (remember - it's a metaphor for training your mind)... he doesn't 'try to change the dog' - he just stays centered and attentive, and makes very slight, subtle actions that very quickly let the dog relax and discover that it really doesn't need to control everyone and everything - and the result is a calm, relaxed state... with the dog still able to be a dog and play when it's apropriate...

So once you have your awareness and your consciousness, still, stable and flexible, you'll be 90% there...

The feeling is one of no seperation. Of complete stillness and a soft, untangled but extrordinarily powerful focus. You and the universe are the same... you feel and hear and sense the leaves move in the wind - but it's not leaves it's not trees and there's no wind, it's all you. If there's a task in hand the task is completed effortlessly - there's no thinking or planning or evaluating options, it's just done spontaneously.

So the question is what's the easiest way to experience this... Of course there are many ways from many cultural backgrounds, and they all involve hard work... although there is a loophole!

The easiest way is rather simple. Put yourself in a dangerous situation. Any high risk situation will do normally. Then don't let panic take over - and you'll pop into a very present flow state.

I've had this happen a number of times... being involved in a car crash for example. Also solo rock climbing (without a rope/harness)... being near a gunfight did it too...

For me this has been the easiest, most repeatable way of becoming present. I suspect certain adventure sports would get you there... surfing, sky diving, hang gliding, high speed snow boarding etc. I used to get it climbing difficult trees when I was little. I've also seen people doing that slacklining (I think it's called) - I suspect that would work if it's high enough to create a sense of danger.

But I've also had this experience from doing my practices, and from being in the presence of highly achieved teachers :)

• Like 3

As has been mentioned - you're already present. Each moment is constantly in a state of birth. Past and future are also in the present. There's no place to get to - you can't get to the present - it's more a case of stopping that which obscures this.

Speaking more practically, there are indeed many 'levels' to being present. Just like there are many levels to your being.

Some suggestions above are related to the sensory awareness 'level'. Become aware of sounds, sensations and your vision all at once. This can certainly bring you into the present to some degree. And in fact for most people living in the western world it actually has a very profound effect. This is the same sort of present that a deer is, all of the time...

We also have the 'consciousness' level... the part of us we often define as the monkeymind. The ever creative, ever ingenious conscious mind. This is the part of us that mostly pulls us out of the present (or - in reality - obscures the present moment)... Using awareness (as above) only pushes the conscious mind out of your limited attention temporarily - but your monkeymind is still there, still trying to make itself important.

Ever seen The Dog Whisperer? I love that show. I love it as a metaphor for training your mind. Cesar, the host, usually comes into a household with a dog that thinks it's the pack leader. It's obviously not equipped to lead a pack of humans... but it's been put in a position where it MUST, it would rather die than let down its human companions. It also doesn't really want the job - it's stressful! Especially for a being so underequiped for this.

What Cesar does is he pays attention. He pays attention to very subtle signals (remember - it's a metaphor for training your mind)... he doesn't 'try to change the dog' - he just stays centered and attentive, and makes very slight, subtle actions that very quickly let the dog relax and discover that it really doesn't need to control everyone and everything - and the result is a calm, relaxed state... with the dog still able to be a dog and play when it's apropriate...

So once you have your awareness and your consciousness, still, stable and flexible, you'll be 90% there...

The feeling is one of no seperation. Of complete stillness and a soft, untangled but extrordinarily powerful focus. You and the universe are the same... you feel and hear and sense the leaves move in the wind - but it's not leaves it's not trees and there's no wind, it's all you. If there's a task in hand the task is completed effortlessly - there's no thinking or planning or evaluating options, it's just done spontaneously.

So the question is what's the easiest way to experience this... Of course there are many ways from many cultural backgrounds, and they all involve hard work... although there is a loophole!

The easiest way is rather simple. Put yourself in a dangerous situation. Any high risk situation will do normally. Then don't let panic take over - and you'll pop into a very present flow state.

I've had this happen a number of times... being involved in a car crash for example. Also solo rock climbing (without a rope/harness)... being near a gunfight did it too...

For me this has been the easiest, most repeatable way of becoming present. I suspect certain adventure sports would get you there... surfing, sky diving, hang gliding, high speed snow boarding etc. I used to get it climbing difficult trees when I was little. I've also seen people doing that slacklining (I think it's called) - I suspect that would work if it's high enough to create a sense of danger.

But I've also had this experience from doing my practices, and from being in the presence of highly achieved teachers :)

These were two of my favorite methods...

Good stuff, thanks for sharing

Everything evolves over time.

Originally we had unconditioned energy.

As we grew we conditioned it.

The conditioning created blockages and leaks.

Originally our energy was in harmonous balance within.

Now our needs become increasingly dependant on what we receive from outside.

All this happens over decades.

To return to our unblocked, harmoneous, whole state also requires time.

How much time depends on what we do.

Fighting creates polarity, but we must dissolve polarity.

Gentle consistancy in letting thoughts arise and fade takes long.

Sincerity paves the way forward.

To speed things up, how deeply sincere can one be without using force and creating separation?

It may help to give the mind something to focus on.

Let the mind rest upon the breath.

But the mind-breath connection is deeply affected by the leaks and blockages.

The five elements will not easily rest upon eachother.

The five elements need to be refined back into harmony.

It may help to do physical activity or energy work (qi gong).

Strenuous activity is hard on the body but requires mental focus.

Energy work may be gentle or hard;

All comes from the intent.

A form like tai chi may help one reach deep into refining,

bringing the energy into balance, clearing the clouds from the mind.

Then one comes closer and closer to the unconditioned mind of tao.

Then one may sit and watch as the mind attempts to return to it's conditioned state.

But now the difference is clearer.

One may use yin (conditioning) to work on perserving yang (primordial).

All happens in cycles.

At midnight yang returns and comes to fullness at noon.

At noon yin returns and comes to fullness at midnight.

So it is with the waxing and waning moon.

So it is with the waxing and waning seasons.

So it is with every rise and fall of the breath.

So it is with every culmination of fullness or emptiness.

Maintaining the mind of tao is simple awareness of the cycles of change.

Not that I would know.

Water falls to the lowest point.

What is brought up can only come down.

All cycles repeat following the path of least resistance.

Extreme changes in life invite more extreme changes.

Extremes in cultivation may give glimpses of what is possible.

But then they vanish just like a trip.

Gentle stable cycles of change invite more stability.

With this one can build a foundation.

With this achievments are not only glimpses.

This verse from the Tao Te Ching comes to mind:

Chapter 48

Pursue knowledge, daily gain

Pursue Tao, daily loss

Loss and more loss

Until one reaches unattached action

With unattached action, there is nothing one cannot do

Take the world by constantly applying non-interference

The one who interferes is not qualified to take the world

• Like 3

Jing jao yeo jiu

Jing jao jui

Now I got the wine,

Now I go get drunk

Or

Enjoy the present

Forget the tomorrow

Or

Amputate that leg still rooted in the past

Cut off that leg in the future of events yet to come.

Idiotic Taoist

• Like 2