Editing Limits  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Change back to old editing way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some other solution

OK so basically we went and changed the forum policy to only allow people to edit their posts for half an hour past when they originally made that post. This was to hopefully cut down on empty posts and some of the arguing then deleting a post after riling the person up sort of stuff.

Apparently it wasn't so popular with some folks.

So vote!

I thought I'd add something since it wasn't clear in the title what this is about really.

So basically are you OK with the 30 minute time limit for the entire board (accept PPFs of course) or not.

Er nevermind, good description above now :).

• Like 1

I don't want to see any new features which involve editing out, hiding or ignoring other posters (unless it is done by the original poster themselves). The Taobums is an open forum where people are free to express themselves within a set of very light rules about insulting and so on. I want it to continue that way and I hope there will be a reluctance to tinker with the board because some are irritated or annoyed. If these people are cultivators they should know that irritation and annoyance are grounds for practice and where you detect this in yourself it is a sign of locked up energy. Apart from this you only read that which you click on ... you are free to read or not read ... so what is the problem?

• Like 7

I just voted "Some other solution".

I am an Anarchist. Don't put your freakin' rules on me!!! (But as long as I can still function freely within your rules all is well.)

However, ...

If the limits are really needed I would think a longer time period would be better, say maybe two or three days. Reason: Many of us oftentimes make posts based on emotions, sometimes negative emotions, and after we have cooled down a bit we think back on what we said and with we hadn't responded in such an emotional manner. This thought and reconsider period most often takes more than just 30 minutes.

• Like 5

Nothing is Perfect.

But this whole "Limiting Edits" Thing, seems to have stirred up a lot of STRONG Emotions. :o

At first I didn't think it was that big a deal & I believe that the Mods "intent" was for the greater good / clarity in reading the threads.

As sometimes, a thread is like reading a book, with a few pages missing. :(

But I can appreciate that some members here, do not want all of their posts set in stone for all eternity.

Perhaps any proposed changes could / should, in future, be voted on before being implemented (if voted for).

Just a thought...

• Like 5

While I always try to proofread, I dont always catch everything, and dont always catch it within 30 minutes, either.

I'm up for trying the new editing for awhile, see how it sits with us, see if it improves some aspects of the board. That with the caveat that anyone can edit their own PPF anytime.

I often find old threads I never noticed before, or new interests that have been discussed on the board, sometimes WAAAY back. It's frustrating to have part of those threads removed so that the sense of it is missing. I remember how disgusted I was some years back when I noticed a member had removed every post he ever made, leaving gigantic holes in many interesting threads. I don't think I've ever read another of his posts!

I do think about a poster having changed their mind about something, or realizing there's a serious error in the post, frustrated at not being able to correct the post right there, realizing some folks will be misled, or have to find the correction later in the thread....

What about an edit function that can only ADD to the post. So you could post corrections or updates, but not change the original text. Is that even possible?

If there is a big hole in a string of posts that is just how the cookie crumbles, if one wants to join a school where the cookies should not just crumble then that is available, but not at TTB's since it is not a school, it is a wide open free for all where anything from A-Z fly's (or just about) and if you happen to get lucky in finding something or someone here then that is great but don't expect it or put editing limits on the posters here.

• Like 4

Both the changes themselves and the draconian way in which they have been imposed constitute a gross breach of trust and confidence and are a fundamental betrayal of the founding "principles" of TTB.

All but the last handful of my nearly 1400 posts were made on the understanding that I had the right to edit and to post as I saw fit ( i.e. without separate posts being bastardised into something other than I had actually written).

Even if the changes are rolled back, I think that you'll find that it's too late for many of us.

Trust is a one-way street - once it's gone, it's gone for good.

So I guess by default, the voting shows that we should change things back to normal

I wanted to make a stupid joke in my ppf by posting the same thing repeatedly

Am dissapointed this couldnt happen

Shaking my head

I mean seriously what is this the nazi state

Do what I tell you, post and edit how we say, we are in charge

what the hell lol

Presented the choice, I vote no , editing posts willy nilly after other folks have read them

is closing the barn door after you put your foot in it.

If it needs be done. Take care, 'Fess up ,Apologize or explain.

Comments about 'Nazi state' are what Im talking about , its a wrong unfair accusation.

The sentiment had to be bogusly exaggerated in order to seem significant.

I vote to just ignore this poll and go ahead and leave the new conditions in place

because those who are out of control of themselves shouldnt be relied upon

to make responsible decisions for the welfare of the whole 'dojo'.

Here in america we have a constitution and judicial system which are not at the whim of the masses.

We call it the rule of law , it defends the rights of minorities and majorities BOTH.

I was talking to a guy from the mideast about democracy .. he agreed with the idea !

He said it was right , he said it was good , he also said that by majority rule ,,women

and folks of other religions in his home country shouldn't ! have rights equal to the 'majority persons'.

He wasn't in support of western style 'democracy' which employs rule of law, protection of minorities and so forth.

The reason why Im adding all this political type stuff is that some seem not to recognize the value of representative govt. and establishing limits

even limits to the whim of the mob.

By the way , fourteen votes is nowhere near even a statistically valid representation of public opinion on here.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Presented the choice, I vote no , editing posts willy nilly after other folks have read them

is closing the barn door after you put your foot in it.

If it needs be done. Take care, 'Fess up ,Apologize or explain.

Comments about 'Nazi state' are what Im talking about , its a wrong unfair accusation.

The sentiment had to be bogusly exaggerated in order to seem significant.

I vote to just ignore this poll and go ahead and leave the new conditions in place

because those who are out of control of themselves shouldnt be relied upon

to make responsible decisions for the welfare of the whole 'dojo'.

Here in america we have a constitution and judicial system which are not at the whim of the masses.

We call it the rule of law , it defends the rights of minorities and majorities BOTH.

I was talking to a guy from the mideast about democracy .. he agreed with the idea !

He said it was right , he said it was good , he also said that by majority rule ,,women

and folks of other religions in his home country shouldn't ! have rights equal to the 'majority persons'.

He wasn't in support of western style 'democracy' which employs rule of law, protection of minorities and so forth.

The reason why Im adding all this political type stuff is that some seem not to recognize the value of representative govt. and establishing limits

even limits to the whim of the mob.

By the way , fourteen votes is nowhere near even a statistically valid representation of public opinion on here.

Your whole post is an innaccurate representation of why some people edit posts.

This has been explained elsewhere.

Nothing to do with being out of control.

I could have either composed my post in Word and transferred it to here or I could have added to it later.l recognize that it would be a restriction on myself as well, but despite liking the privilege for me.. in the interests of the whole , I think it better this way.

If a long term member deletes all their posts all the responses made to it don't make sense. The integrity of all the associated contributions suffer, thus magnifying the disruption beyond the original poster's purview. Its not "fair to everyone else" like the quiet reader trying to follow a discussion that gets changed retroactively. They might not post or vote but that doesn't mean that they do not value of what has been said,, and it doesn't mean they won't anonymously drift away.

If yall mods and stewards need the restriction in place , I understand that, I wouldn't want the headache at all! And I really believe the intent is not to impose any more than needed, since yall don't want to destroy the feel of the thing.

I have been on the recieving end of a strategically altered post and it made me angry as heck.

Having to own up to ones foibles may not be fun , but It will trend to make folks think twice about a rash sentence. I am not a disciplinarian by any means, but some livable rules makes a sociable situation more likely . This rule hasn't been given a chance ! And there is this dramatic rebellion to prevent the Big Brother Nazis from crushing everyones ability to communicate.

Give it a month , (it takes that long to seize new habits) and if it is still such a stifling obstacle then it should be clear as a bell what action should be taken ,after all , How many posts do you end up correcting more than a day later? One? Two? I am thinking I have Never done that. It is a tiny restriction in the interest of the integrity of our threads, and cooling heads.

Your whole post is an innaccurate representation of why some people edit posts. This has been explained elsewhere. Nothing to do with being out of control.
Yeah well, all those "." posts certainly read that way. Edited by Stosh

there have been times when i have shown my ass on this message board, yet i have never once deleted a post. and i never will.

but sometimes i go back to a post after a day or so and with to correct grammar or structure to add more clarity to the post, and i would still like to be able to do that.

for instance, i made a recent post quoting Mark Griffin, and i wrote verbatim as he spoke it, rather than editing for clarity in the written form. and it wasn't until i went back to make the corrections that i realized the editing feature had been changed.

if there's a problem with abuse and people erasing posts, then i say do what you have to do to preserve the record of correspondences. i'll get over it. but ideally, as someone who never erases posts, i'd like the flexibility of making corrections.

that's all. :)

• Like 1

Hmmm… I can't edit again, wuzzat a tease or sumpin'?

25 to 10. I'm blown away it wouldn't be 10,000 to 0. If people don't use it they'd just as soon loose it.

That explains a lot in Americaine politics~ Yowz!!

At a guess you must have posted in under 30 minutes earlier since we didn't change anything. Unless you have mastered the whole time continuum thing of course ;).

I've been using my ipad the past few days, plus not reading these posts and wondering why I couldn't edit stuff. Thought it me :o

I re-edit much of my writing immediately for better flow and expression. I prefer the old way. Though I understand why knocking out old posts rile some people, I don't have a huge problem with it. Just some peoples way.

On the one hand, I think the editing limit is a good way to encourage people to think before they post.

Emotional and knee-jerk responses aren't generally very skillful and often push discussions in a negative direction.

On the other hand, I also favor freedom to post and edit as desired...

Consequently, I'm not going to vote because I'd have to vote both.

:ninja: