Aaron

Trolling and Off-topic disruptions

Trolling and Off-topic dispruptions  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should TTB enforce a policy against trolling and off-topic comments meant to disrupt topics?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no opinion regarding this.

i think the problem with the ignore function is that a lot of the time when people are trolling, they also have some good posts that i would like to continue seeing. i have a personal code of no blocklists when it comes to all my online accounts

• Like 2

i think the problem with the ignore function is that a lot of the time when people are trolling, they also have some good posts that i would like to continue seeing. i have a personal code of no blocklists when it comes to all my online accounts

So just take what you want and ignore the rest. :)

• Like 1

Just check out threads without being logged on, then you can see the posts of those you want to be ignoring.

Actually, it seems this thread should be in the mod or off-topic sections, Aaron…

ed note: add last line

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

Guy, I know what to do

Everyone needs to learn about the power of friendship

and there is only one way of doing it

240px-My_Little_Pony_Friendship_is_Magic

• Like 2

Is Aaron trolling for consensus, again?!! Wait… do i even know what trolling is?

What's trolling? Do i do it? If so, do i do it guuud?

Umm... I'm wondering why every time you ever respond to me, it's always in a bitter, critical, angry tone. Honestly, if you don't like what I do or say, just ignore me. I really don't need to hear this juvenile bullsh***.

Aaron

I am actually looking for a consensus regarding this thread. I wanted to know if the recent upsurge in trolling and off-topic disruption is bothering anyone else. I voted yes on the poll because I would like to see more moderation, so comments like the one above would be nipped in the bud and we wouldn't have the petty back and forths, but actual discussions about the topic. I guess it's too much to ask adults to behave like adults.

Aaron

I don't think trolling should be censored because one man's troll is another mans legitimate counter argument,
however if things go off topic the topic should be split into it's own thread, and if it isn't related to spiritual matters it should be moved to the off topic section.

I am actually looking for a consensus regarding this thread. I wanted to know if the recent upsurge in trolling and off-topic disruption is bothering anyone else. I voted yes on the poll because I would like to see more moderation, so comments like the one above would be nipped in the bud and we wouldn't have the petty back and forths, but actual discussions about the topic. I guess it's too much to ask adults to behave like adults.

Aaron

• Like 4

Umm... I'm wondering why every time you ever respond to me, it's always in a bitter, critical, angry tone. Honestly, if you don't like what I do or say, just ignore me. I really don't need to hear this juvenile bullsh***.

Aaron

Aaron,

It comes with the territory. If you haven't noticed the entire internet is like this, everywhere. You cannot express an opinion anywhere without having to debate an entire community of 12 year old adhd trolls, it just isn't possible.

The best advice I can offer you is keep your mouth shut unless you are willing to provide absolute evidence you are right, and willing to defend it till the trolls get bored with their trolling.

• Like 3

I think the problem is less about whether trolling is to stay or not... and more about how to 'split topics' and remind people of the topic.

It is a practical issue more than a vote issue. Regardless of the vote, there may not be any action; and if there is then action, one might ask why does it take a vote to do something which the common folks say is common sense?

I might pose the question is: Should there be moderation action capable to split threads and move comments to new threads to keep stuff on topic. And is that moderation action in place and capable to do it without request by applying common sense.

• Like 2

Back in the day when Vairaji was debating the concept of no self ad infinitum, I was banished into eternal darkness from this site for one week for having a spirited debate with him. The cause for banishment was one of bickering. Lol!!! At present, juveniles and paranoid conspiracy theorists have infested TTB with trite narratives. Are the purveyors of such ever banished from this esteemed forum? Of course not!

Nothing against trite narratives in the forum rules. Bickering and all forms of bitterness are frowned upon pretty much anywhere you go in this universe, though.

Nothing against trite narratives in the forum rules. Bickering and all forms of bitterness are frowned upon pretty much anywhere you go in this universe, though.

What I was banned for was not bickering but spirited debate. That was the mods excuse. The trite narratives are nothing but trolling. Furthermore, the trite narratives, conspiracy BS, are indicative of the decline of intelligent discourse on this site. Authoritarianism, misogyny, are two problems that I have noted on this site.

Edited by ralis

i think i feel the need to say that in my opinion the good of the site outweighs the pointless BS. The day that i stop believing that i will take my leave. You wont ever hear me whining about it

• Like 1

What I was banned for was not bickering but spirited debate. That was the mods excuse. The trite narratives are nothing but trolling. Furthermore, the trite narratives, conspiracy BS, are indicative of the decline of intelligent discourse on this site. Authoritarianism, misogyny, are two problems that I have noted on this site.

Authoritarianism on here!!! I had to read that three times to make sure that's what you meant. This place has the lightest moderation of any board I am familiar with. So I don't know where you got that from. Misogyny ... I thought maybe we had got past that. I don't see that now. Actually today the mod team is all female members.

No-one has been banned for spirited debate. For a start you weren't banned you were suspended from posting for a few days. Insults and ad hominem attack that's what gets people suspended.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 3

It's my take, deci, that you're oblivious to trolling. And that's probaby pretty guuud. :)

Hi Rainbowvein,

Perhaps that's why a lot of this isn't dealt with, because the moderators fail to police their friends? Just putting that out there, not sure if it's true or not.

Aaron

That's me too. I have never pushed the "ignore" button on anyone.

• Like 3

try the appraoch of "dont feed the trolls"

maybe that will quiet them down a bit.

sometimes they are looking for the knee jerk reaction to their posts, if they dont get that, maybe they will lose energy.

• Like 4

I see a couple members looking back to yesteryears. I will mention that I remember this place before there was moderation and no one was able to scare me away with their childish threats and insults.

I agree, at present, moderation here is moderate. No personal insults or threats. A good policy. But what more is needed? Self-moderation? Even though we have younger, less mature members here they are, in the most part, intelligent and know the difference between proper and improper behavior.

Sure, keeping on topic would be nice. But is that representative of friendly 'real life' conversation? Well, for me it isn't. One thought leads to another. That damn 'cause and effect' thing that is ever-present.

Sure, in areas of the board like the TTC study, posts should remain on topic. But in nearly all threads here I don't see where such strict structure in necessary.

• Like 5

try the appraoch of "dont feed the trolls"

I tried that and it didn't work for me. If someone is shovelling BS I feel the need to let others know that what is being shovelled is BS and not honey from the bees.

• Like 1

Should there be a poll to see who trolls for thee?

On second thoughts, maybe not.

:wacko:

• Like 2