That Guy

Meow Meow

I still think y'all are getting way too carried away. It looked to me like she had an impulse pass over her and she acted on it. As I predicted, Mr.Top Cat there was OK. She probably had a cat go schizo on her at some point in the past, scratching/biting her for their own feline reasons, (like they are prone to do-I don't trust cats), and she acted on a mischievous impulse, and tossed the puss in the can. Not nice, for sure, but the cat would have escaped whenever the can was emptied for sure, so was it evil? No!

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

I've gone back and forth on the issue of evil. I currently subscribe to the Buddhist belief that people act unskillfully and can digress into mental illness, but I know longer believe in evil, and I think I'll be in this mode til I part the earth. I believe a lack of empathy for other living creatures is mental illness, particularly examples of gratuitous ill-will such as this.

I think you hit the nail on the head there Blasto.

I would ask if anyone has ever done anything cruel to anyone or anything before? If you have lived a totally cruelty free life(as in the giving)then nothing can be said.

Otherwise....errr, well....

I'm in no way justifying this ladies' actions, but cats have got out of tighter spots. They are my favorite animal, I would feel much worse had she been torturing the poor animal.

This doesn't appear to be cruelty per-se, more a total lack of human sensitivity, which I think points to a diseased mind, which seems somewhat endemic to the human condition to various degrees.

I will say in my general experience indignation in people points to lots of repressed stuff being projected onto others. That doesn't make others actions right mind you. Still, the casting of stones and the mote in thine eye and so on.

Cows would have faired better in the world they been a bit smaller and cuter. Difficult to keep a cow at home....or put it in a bin for that matter!

Sorry, this lady was mean to the cat, cruel even, but this was not evil action, my dear cat lovers. :closedeyes:

And what if the bin was half, 2/3 full of garbage, with the truck on its way down the street? Why pet the cat and be deceitful, establish a minor amount of rapport, and then once its rubbing up on you, do it in? Its not like she just grabbed the cat - she deceived it first, put it in a position of trusting her, then broke it. The deception was every bit as potent if not more than the tossing in the bin.

TheSOngsofDistantEarth you cat lover troll :lol:

I m more of a dog person myself, but hate animal cruelty in general.

Animal testing is difficult because afor all the pain it causes it might be for a "greater good". If it is a greater good or not is up for each person to decide, but at least it is not about being cruel for the sake of being cruel.

Had that bin been a cliff she possibly would've done the same, its the intent of the actions that really get to me, and her intent was purely negative.

Yes, because the reason I wouldn't care if something happened to people like her is because I want these kind of actions to stop, I want them gone. They are cruel, and so I have a reason to think society would benefit from her being gone.

Hm yes, I thought about exterminating the prisoners and criminals but then in the long run that wouldn't really solve anything. They'd just pop up again eventually. These kind of actions will never stop by removing the people.

I'm with Blasto on this.

All actions - no matter how evil they seem to you or I - start out with a positive impulse. This is not a 'truth' - just a useful belief - an experiment if you will.

From a positive impulse all manner of distortions of post-heavenly form take place - twisting and misconstruing the original impulse into something outwardly destructive (or even constructive). Once you peel away the layers of distortion, the original positive impulse is there, shining bright.

Having your attention on the original impulse when you interact with someone and not on the outward manifestations of the impulse - feels like boundless compassion to me.

Saying all this - I'd like to see the lady dunked into a bin! happy.gif

Hm yes, I thought about exterminating the prisoners and criminals but then in the long run that wouldn't really solve anything. They'd just pop up again eventually. These kind of actions will never stop by removing the people.

i havent thought of that, i ve just thought of casting them out somewhere so those who arent like that dont have to deal with them.

And thinking and analyzing about how things started is interesting and educational, but you know what? I care about how things end much more, thats more important since we can change that.

All actions - no matter how good they seem to you or I - start out with a negative impulse. This is not a 'truth' - just a useful belief - an experiment if you will.

Like I am good, I wanna feed the hungry, why? well because when i think of hungry people I get this negative feeling, so I want to do something positive for them.

I thought all understood that yin does not arise from yang, and yang does not arise from yin. They both simply exist separately but are always interwinding. So a positive does not need a negative to start out, and a negative does not need a positive to start out. They both simply are, and will always exchange between one another as they seek to find a balance.

And to me, this old lady is out of balance, and would make my utopia unbalanced, so i cast her out to be unbalanced elsewhere. that ok?

In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods for at least two thousand years, the years that coincided with the unprecedented flourishing of Egyptian civilization, the height of its prosperity, power and wisdom. Bast the cat-headed goddess was the protectress of the family, of the crops, of human health and fertility of the earth. She was more sacred but less mystical than Egypt's other gods, she was the bringer of good fortune to farmers and pharaohs alike, and ordinary cats, who were thought of as her servants, helpers and occasionally incarnations, were loved and revered. This was backed by the state law that guaranteed death penalty to anyone killing a cat. If a family cat died of natural causes, the head of the family shaved off his eyebrows as a sign of mourning -- for one year.

In Europe, the Dark Ages started out with cat hunts which rapidly evolved into witch hunts. In the heyday of inquisition which lasted without relenting for 400 years, nearly all Europe's cats got exterminated. This resulted in an exponential growth of the rodent population, perilous to an agrarian society, bringing about many deadly famines and culminating in the Black Plague epidemic, with infected fleas brought on the backs of the exponentially growing ranks of rats. The epidemic killed 3/4 of the human population of Europe. Cats went back into favor when it was over, and had to be imported.

In the late 19th century, the British government in charge of "protecting" Egypt's sacred sites hired a large work force to excavate millions of cat mummies (Egyptians embalmed their cats and buried them in sacred cemeteries for thousands of years). The mummified cats, about 100,000 tons of them, were sold at an agricultural auction. Most were bought by American companies, ground up and sold to farmers for fertilizer. Which in my opinion accounts for the nutritional disaster zone the country had turned into -- Bast is mightily offended...

Now the woman in the video -- she has a lineage. She's not alone. Should HER lineage prevail NOW, it's all over for OUR species.

The capacity to hurt in some people really blows my mind... I too am curious how I'd react if I witnessed this first hand....

On a slightly tangential note, I was sitting by a lake close to home the other day watching the horizon swallow up the sun when some young men (a questionable classification) came whipping past on skidoos.... They took note of some canadian geese (who are all over the place this time of the year) and attempted to run a crowd of them over in the water... Two or three attempts punctuated by loud about-faces in the water were made... Couldn't believe it..

....But, what started off in shock and horror ended in laughter as the geese always removed themselves from the danger zone just in time... Those guys probably ended their day launching bricks through car windows.

Edited by balance.

The capacity to hurt in some people really blows my mind... I too am curious how I'd react if I witnessed this first hand....

On a slightly tangential note, I was sitting by a lake close to home the other day watching the horizon swallow up the sun when some young men (a questionable classification) came whipping past on skidoos.... They took note of some canadian geese (who are all over the place this time of the year) and attempted to run a crowd of them over in the water... Two or three attempts punctuated by loud about-faces in the water were made... Couldn't believe it..

....But, what started off in shock and horror ended in laughter as the geese always removed themselves from the danger zone just in time... Those guys probably ended their day launching bricks through car windows.

There's so many of them launched from Mars... cloned in secret labs, minus the soul... or wherever the zombies come from...

A couple of days ago I was taking a walk along the beach, and chanced upon two fishermen who just then caught something they thought they didn't want, so they threw the fish to a seagull who was hanging out nearby monitoring their activities. I stopped to watch. It was a very large seagull, but the fish was alive and big too and putting up a fight, giving the bird a hard time. For a full five minutes I watched the struggle for daily bread... um, fish... the seagull was obviously trying to align the fish against his beak lengthwise but the fish managed to turn sideways every time... Then -- success! Head first, tail sticking out, the fish is in the beak the right way! One more effort and... and at this very moment along comes a jogger, sees the scene, and runs at the seagull mightily, flapping his idiot arms! The seagull dropped the fish, which was already dead or dying, the ocean lapped it up... the next wave came empty. The jogger, with a satisfied grin, stopped to watch the seagull circle the site in hungry despair.

"Why did you do that?" I asked him.

"Oh... the fish was too big, he couldn't swallow it anyway."

Great. At least spontaneously evil often goes hand in hand with spontaneously stupid. This gives us a chance...

I'm with Blasto on this.

All actions - no matter how evil they seem to you or I - start out with a positive impulse. This is not a 'truth' - just a useful belief - an experiment if you will.

From a positive impulse all manner of distortions of post-heavenly form take place - twisting and misconstruing the original impulse into something outwardly destructive (or even constructive). Once you peel away the layers of distortion, the original positive impulse is there, shining bright.

Having your attention on the original impulse when you interact with someone and not on the outward manifestations of the impulse - feels like boundless compassion to me.

Saying all this - I'd like to see the lady dunked into a bin! happy.gif

I like your comment. Because the sort of active evil of 'I hate cats' but I'll bend down grab one and toss it cheerfully into the garbage is the kind I can see spreading to all aspects of the woman's life.

Feeling that way, its human to blame larger groups, such as humanity sucks or smaller such as people like that woman suck. Or relish revenge fantasies, shoot her in the butt, stuff her in the can. When we indulge in that we're moving away from our peace. Often revenge taints us.

Worse because its on the internet and we only know 2 pieces of the story we might be being manipulated. The truth is way more involved then 20 seconds of video. The right solution is more involved then hurting the cat hater. Still, its an imperfect world and do what we can.

thinking and analyzing about how things started is interesting and educational

Indeed.

Although my belief comes from experience - not 'thinking and analysing'. It comes from tracing all kinds of motivations and tendencies down to the root. Not as 'ideas' but as felt and sensed experiences.

Like I am good, I wanna feed the hungry, why? well because when i think of hungry people I get this negative feeling, so I want to do something positive for them

If rather than making something up for the sake of your argument, you honestly and genuinely traced any of your behaviours and motivations to the original impulse, you may be surprised by what you find...

This involves moving into very deep internal terrain. There is a specific method to it. Very basically it involves finding progressively higher purposes to the original behaviour... with each step, going progressively deeper and deeper until you reach the source. (there's also a specific movement that happens along my core channel as I do it).

I thought all understood that yin does not arise from yang, and yang does not arise from yin. They both simply exist separately but are always interwinding.

There is Yin within yang and Yang within yin.

<snip>At least spontaneously evil often goes hand in hand with spontaneously stupid. This gives us a chance...

<snip>

LMAO Love it!!! :)

relish revenge fantasies, shoot her in the butt, stuff her in the can. When we indulge in that we're moving away from our peace. Often revenge taints us.

Yes - wanting revenge was my immediate reaction... (Of course if you saw a short video clip of me throwing a woman into a garbage bin with no context - you may have a certain reaction of your own! :lol:)

So I traced that desire for revenge down to the original impulse (and even before). Of course the very act transformed my attitude... suddenly the complexities and three-dimensionality of the situation floods in... more choice, awareness and presence... instead of patterned reactivity. The want for revenge doesn't disappear - it can certainly be accessed - but it doesn't pop-up automatically - as a robotic, automatic reaction.

i havent thought of that, i ve just thought of casting them out somewhere so those who arent like that dont have to deal with them.

Yeah, that caught my attention too but I won't speak to it here.

Peace & Love!

If rather than making something up for the sake of your argument, you honestly and genuinely traced any of your behaviours and motivations to the original impulse, you may be surprised by what you find...

:lol:

Ok what came first, the positive or the negative? if you know the answer, please explain.

what are your thoughts on this?

Why would anyone do that? How can they do that? Is it ok to do that? Isn't she a little old to be doing that? How does this make you feel? why?

As one who has had a cat poisoned by someone in my neighborhood a few years back, I am not sure I could feel sorry for her at all if some nasty stuff were to happen to her or any person who can treat an animal like that.

I would like to believe she is just insane and has issues, but I think shes just a terrible person the world would probably be better without. And I also know theres much worse animal cruelty out there, this just hits home you know, she could be your next door neighbor, and no motive, just plain cruelty.

Yeh I know maybe she has some good in her when cats aren't involved, but shes still a primitive creature to me if she finds it necessary to do that, as a human being I don't think I can think of her as part of my species. (Assuming I am a human being, maybe I have become HOMOSAPIEN SUPERIOR!! :lol: )

If I saw that happen, I would probably get arrested for trying to stuff her in the bin.

I do not believe in evil. I have worked with people who have done some terrible things to others (murderers and rapists), and In no way were they 'Evil' people. Just deeply ignorant frightened people.

I also noticed that a person who has lost the ability to empathise with others is usually Ignoring and suppressing a huge amount of pain and suffering within them selves. This massive split off from the emotions leaves a false 'Hard ass' sense of self they get to parade around in and perpetrate their various atrocities from.

It can be very hard to get some to be even willing to look a bit further than their exterior, they are so terrified of the bottled emotions within them.

Evil? No.

Scary? Yes.

Sad? Yes.

Does their State of being excuse them? Yes/No. I think in any situation were someone is committing a violent act against another being, It is my duty to stop the situation (however necessary), help the victim, and then tend to the perp. I do think there is far to much worry for the perp in our legal systems, so much so that in some cases the perp is protected from even 'seeing' the result of their actions in case guilt further burden their emotional state.

To me thats a bit crazy. Naturally guilt is a healing response within the psyche that will alert one to having done actions that do not 'Honour' oneself and others. (of course unnatural guilt is when religious institutions Hijack one ability to really know right from wrong, with their own set of laws which will often result in a perpetual and crippling sense of guilt at having broken some divine laws...)

Damn it I am rambling again... :D

Big Love to y'all and to that Cat.

I do not believe in evil. I have worked with people who have done some terrible things to others (murderers and rapists), and In no way were they 'Evil' people. Just deeply ignorant frightened people.

I also noticed that a person who has lost the ability to empathise with others is usually Ignoring and suppressing a huge amount of pain and suffering within them selves. This massive split off from the emotions leaves a false 'Hard ass' sense of self they get to parade around in and perpetrate their various atrocities from.

It can be very hard to get some to be even willing to look a bit further than their exterior, they are so terrified of the bottled emotions within them.

Evil? No.

Scary? Yes.

Sad? Yes.

Nice.