Oleg Galkin

Taoism and Heavy Metal Music

That music died over 2 decades ago, and hasn't been relevant since

What does this even mean?

Metal isn't relevant anymore? Maybe not to you, but to millions of other people it is. I'm jaded at the newer stuff myself, but I don't deny that it's extremely popular.

Ask this Taoist hermit what he thinks about the "music" you trying to champion in this thread:

The only music he knows is the sound of the Nature.

The only music he knows is the sound of the Nature.

I recently rediscovered these in my real player library, what a joy, this guy is just bursting with love and serenity!

Thanks again Gerard for sharing these a little over a year ago.

Peace,

Robert

Heh...I currently play in a black metal band. I'm a HUGE metalhead. I love everything from progressive power metal to thrash to the darkest black and death metal.

Although lately I've been listening to more of the progressive/power metal side of things.

A lot of anger, hate, and rage in the genre. But also a lot of beauty, creativity, and downright ingenuity. Guess you just gotta know where to find it.

I attended a recent GWAR concert two weeks ago. It sent my earth chakra into overdrive and felt incredibly cathartic. On other days I've also enjoyed listening to light, soothing Native and New Age music, depending on my moods and needs. Both 'light' and 'dark' have their uses.

I thought that I would realy an interesting story about black metal. Back in around 2003, I was training my short power and doing wing chun alot! At any rate I was doing no spiritual meditation or anything of the ilk.

I have met, Ihsahn the vocalist for Emperor in my dreams. I never knew the correct phonetic pronunciation of his name until the first of the three dreams came. His name is pronounced, ISH AN, not the way it was spelled and I didn't know this. However in the dream I was in a forest calling for him phonetically like " EYE SHAN!" While I heard "ISHAN" repeated back to me form what looked to be the Carpathian Forest.

Mayhem and Emperor are my two favorite BM bands.

I attended a recent GWAR concert two weeks ago. It sent my earth chakra into overdrive and felt incredibly cathartic. On other days I've also enjoyed listening to light, soothing Native and New Age music, depending on my moods and needs. Both 'light' and 'dark' have their uses.

RIP Cory Smoot, that dude made gwar's riffs and solos interesting again.

I always wonder which attitude have Taoists towards heavy metal music? Do you consider it disturbing for a mind? Or metal is quite the contrary - thing that helps you to get rid of the negative energy and emotions?

I don't think the tao would have any opinion on what music you listen to...

I thought that I would realy an interesting story about black metal. Back in around 2003, I was training my short power and doing wing chun alot! At any rate I was doing no spiritual meditation or anything of the ilk.

I have met, Ihsahn the vocalist for Emperor in my dreams. I never knew the correct phonetic pronunciation of his name until the first of the three dreams came. His name is pronounced, ISH AN, not the way it was spelled and I didn't know this. However in the dream I was in a forest calling for him phonetically like " EYE SHAN!" While I heard "ISHAN" repeated back to me form what looked to be the Carpathian Forest.

Mayhem and Emperor are my two favorite BM bands.

Ihsahn is a pretty amazing musician. Mayhem is good, Chimera is one of my favorite albums...although Ordo Ad Chao was pretty good too.

I like metal too...

Never heard of any taoist of China hearing this kind of music though. Never asked.

Anyway, I see art (including music) as the door for the emotional (the Chinese xin). So I realise what you hear is important; it does influence people.

I always condidered metal as a catharsis, a way of releasing negative emotions, especially anger (depends also on which metal genre, I personally listen to power metal mainly. Machine head, Pantera, that kind of stuff. Gojira is good too;))

However, I also notice that one should be careful: sometimes it raises bad things. It can have a bad influence for some people. Or even on me, if I hear some at the wrong time.

Of course during meditation, it is not great...

The more I grow, the more I try to listen less to metal. I'm no teenager anymore. I try to balance with more relaxing, even "sacred" music.

Not that I don't like metal anymore, it's just me trying to change, listening to music related to my practice somehow.

I also try to avoid hateful metal. It can be aggressive, may be okay in some ways, but some lyrics are just spreading hate, including some of the bands I like.

I like all types of music. On my i-touch I have Circle of the Down, Tool (one of my favorite bands of all time), Ozzy, Metallica, Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Enigma, Elton John, The Killers, Mumford and Sons, Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, and the list goes on. I even have *gasp* country on it as well. Again, I try to open my mind to all the different types of music, especially if it moves me.

A song I listened to tonight that I absolutely love and haven't heard in awhile is "The Impression that I Get" by Mighty Mighty Bosstones... great music there too.

Aaron

I also try to avoid hateful metal. It can be aggressive, may be okay in some ways, but some lyrics are just spreading hate, including some of the bands I like.

yeah, love the riffs, but the majority of lyrics are just...gah, unplug the language translator, obscure it and listen it it as another instrument if you want it to be tolerable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZQYZZtAHk

No words apply, but the tao totally digs my 6L6str driven tube amp and 15" speakers. I believe buddhists go for 12" stacks and Marshalls.❤ heehee!!

• Like 2

No words apply, but the tao totally digs my 6L6str driven tube amp and 15" speakers. I believe buddhists go for 12" stacks and Marshalls.❤ heehee!!

One day I will have a tube amp. My Line 6 Spider III works okay, but...you just can't beat that authentic tube sound.

yeah, love the riffs, but the majority of lyrics are just...gah, unplug the language translator, obscure it and listen it it as another instrument if you want it to be tolerable.

I take the same approach most of the time. For instance, the band "Ghost." Really good music (self-described as influenced by The Doors, Pink Floyd, and Ennio Morricone - personally I think they sound a lot like Mercyful Fate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xu0S3v4xc), with heavily satanic lyrics. Although...I can't really take them seriously. Most extreme metal bands I have trouble taking seriously, maybe because I've been in the scene for so long. Having known a lot of bands, there tends to be two camps; those who take it way too seriously, and those who are just having fun with it. "Immortal" is an excellent example of a black metal band that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I mean...there's nothing scary about this:

Edit: changed the Ghost song to an instrumental track off the album that's really good.

Edited by Cat Pillar
  • Like 1

what 6L6s ya got in there? and w 15s :lol: warm warm warm!