Oleg Galkin

Taoism and Heavy Metal Music

I enjoy a lot Rhapsody of Fire. For example:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oH4HIn5Pfvg

That kind of metal I call "Viking Metal" because I always imagine vikings sailing on ships, drinking beer and being all viking-y like...

Some types of metal make me smile or even calm my thinking. I think that alone is worth something.

And good luck with the taoist band and the 40 minute album of silent meditation, Hahaha.

Ever heard of Taake? Great Finnish metal band.

Amon Amarth are the best Viking themed metal IMO. I like Enslaved, but they are a bit too experimental for me. Twilight of the Thunder God is one of their best.

My favorite non mainstream metal band were precursors to modern day black metal! MERCYFUL FATE!

Love 'em.

While the lyrics are very immature and silly to me now, I still love the groove, that will never change.

Amon Amarth are the best Viking themed metal IMO. I like Enslaved, but they are a bit too experimental for me. Twilight of the Thunder God is one of their best.

My favorite non mainstream metal band were precursors to modern day black metal! MERCYFUL FATE!

Love 'em.

While the lyrics are very immature and silly to me now, I still love the groove, that will never change.

I'll search for them and will tell you about my experience later!

Love 'em.

I've heard of Taake, but never listened to them. I really dig Amon Amarth though, especially "Versus the World". If you like the Finnish stuff, you should check out Finntroll!

Enslaved is pretty cool, my old band got to open for them once. It was a killer show.

Mercyful Fate is classic! You should check out Ghost!

-------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'd spend 3, 4 of those bills on good tubes, if you are in fact going for a tube amp. Perhaps check out a mesa dual rec if you can find one cheap...or, even a 5150 will put out good sound when you put good stuff in it - as a general rule of thumb, "the older the better"...the best tubes I've heard were made in the 1950s. I'd even go cheaper on the amp for now and then upgrade later, moving the tubes along, if you wind up with a good enough set of them. Changing tubes is changing the voicing/timbre - the preamp tubes you can change out with no other considerations, its just going to change how the preamp signal sounds, but your power tubes wont last long if the bias isnt sett correctly. (One of the things I love about that coreblade, auto bias for the pwr tubes!)

Thanks for the advice, Joe! Tubes are definitely the way I want to go...I've wanted a tube amp pretty much since I started playing. :D

I'll have to bookmark this thread so I can refer to it once I'm ready to start throwing cash around.

Love 'em.

Ok, I have listened all of them. The thing with Taake is that I do not like so much screaming in my songs. Amon Amarth had good melodies, but I also do not like very much the guttural sounds. Sorry, difference of opinion here.

Mercyful Fate was better, in my opinion.

And in the case of lyrics, the same happens to me with Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire. They sing about stories that they create. I kind of do not like very much that, because with such great melody and harmony between instruments, they should have some meanings. Well, they do have meanings, but they make the stories for the sake of the stories, instead of making them to teach something, as it happens with the analogical thinking of Taoism. Still, I really recommend their music.

Ok, I have listened all of them. The thing with Taake is that I do not like so much screaming in my songs. Amon Amarth had good melodies, but I also do not like very much the guttural sounds. Sorry, difference of opinion here.

Mercyful Fate was better, in my opinion.

And in the case of lyrics, the same happens to me with Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire. They sing about stories that they create. I kind of do not like very much that, because with such great melody and harmony between instruments, they should have some meanings. Well, they do have meanings, but they make the stories for the sake of the stories, instead of making them to teach something, as it happens with the analogical thinking of Taoism. Still, I really recommend their music.

Since you prefer clean vocals, I'd recommend checking out Ayreon and Symphony X. Ayreon does expansive concept albums using lots of guest vocalists (including greats like Bruce Dickinson!) Symphony X also does the concept album thing, but they vary it up a little more than Rhapsody does (imo).

Since you prefer clean vocals, I'd recommend checking out Ayreon and Symphony X. Ayreon does expansive concept albums using lots of guest vocalists (including greats like Bruce Dickinson!) Symphony X also does the concept album thing, but they vary it up a little more than Rhapsody does (imo).

I have 1 or 2 CD's of Symphony X and they do vary it up a little more than Rhapsody. I am excited because now we are going to have two bands: Rhapsody of Fire (with the guy on keyboards as leader) and Rhapsody (with guitarist Luca Turilli as leader).

And, I had not heard of Ayreon. I am hearing it now and it sounds very interesting! Thanks, I will listen to it more to see if it sticks!

Reviving and hijacking this thread. 

Let's appreciate some of the beauty produced by metal and rock, specifically the progressive genre's :) I believe there is much to be learned from music. 

(Spoiler, the following one is a bit heavier and might not be up your alley. The band, Rivers of Nihil, produces concept albums that follow a narrative. This album deals with the very long term consequences of immortality. It's fictional, and if you find yourself a bit confused regarding what the lyrics are saying, remember that this song has a story behind it and you're only hearing a small part of it. But it's good fodder for thinking if you read the lyrics and follow, and feel the flow of, the instrumentals).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nebulae Bred said:

Let's appreciate some of the beauty produced by metal and rock, specifically the progressive genre's :) I believe there is much to be learned from music. 

Yeah, those are a little too heavy to be in my collection.

But I do agree with what you said.

What's Taoist about that? Not much I guess, too much over the top. But on the other hand those guys were masters in "the art of hard rock". They could have appeared in a story by Chuang tzu had he lived today. I have no talent to play music myself, but in my younger years I used every weekend to dance like a madman on music like this. Just letting my self go with the flow of the music made me forget the rest of the week. Don't need that now, but I sure did then! But as they say Taoism is mainly for old men (and women). ;)

Edited by wandelaar
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I almost like that first one.  

Second one too dark for my tastes.

Yes - its the heavy end of the spectrum. The first one has some dark beauty to it. Sometimes I listen to that kind of music because it makes daily life look like paradise in comparison. B)

• Like 1

I actually did like some of their work when they first started recording.  Haven't listened to them for a very long time.

This is about as heavy as I get:

Spoiler

• Like 1

On 29/04/2010 at 7:39 PM, Oleg Galkin said:

Gojira is really good band, and I like their music very much.

Yes, I like this lot very much. Saw them live twice last year :)

Metal is good - moshing or screaming at the top of your lungs is good therapy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rara said:

Yes, I like this lot very much. Saw them live twice last year :)

Metal is good - moshing or screaming at the top of your lungs is good therapy.

I was watching a Hardcore pit the other day and the dancing reminded me a lot of shamanic dynamic meditation. A lot of emotional release in that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nebulae Bred said:

I was watching a Hardcore pit the other day and the dancing reminded me a lot of shamanic dynamic meditation. A lot of emotional release in that. 

Yes exactly. No difference to a tribal war dance or bioenergetics imo

• Like 1