Oleg Galkin

Taoism and Heavy Metal Music

I liked that. I actually listened to the entire song.

Peace & Love!

A few other good songs are Weak and Powerless, Blue, The Noose, and Brena.

Zeppelin has many different sounds: blues rock, hard rock, metal, some softer rock here and there. That's one of the things I love about them. I wouldn't call any of it heavy metal. But The Wonton Song, Immigrant Song, the Song Remains the Same are definitely metal in my book.

My favorite Epic Zeppelin Metal Masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFRFtnTd620

I personally find things like death metal to be horrid, but I love more melodic types of metal.

I was once fond of listening to instrumental melodic metal while practicing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh5806nSayk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie8-_s-FgSw

Metal mostly affects my lower chakras. Some of it has a balancing and energizing effect, some has a disturbing and irritating effect. It also depends on my own state at the time. I do notice that if I listen exclusively to harder music it starts having an imbalancing effect, and that I need to switch over to something that stimulates the heart and upper chakras.

Here is a fantastic tune that has some of both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8ZXesus6I

Im a heavy tool and mgmt listener.. I think music help you maybe pass real stepping stones in self development.. Thats always good. Doesn't matter what kinda've music.. Just that it comes at the right time I think.

passenger, great Iggy Pop clips. Thanks for posting! I didn't realize that was Iggy Pop on that Mogwai song. He looks great in that interview.

Is it popularly known that Iggy Pop does chi gung?

Last night I circle walked in my kitchen to my favorite Mono song. Although they are not metal, they rock out hard! (Live, I get my head banging on. :lol:) Take a listen to this clip, the only one I could find with the whole song. Their songs are typically sprawling, not unlike Mogwai or Godspeed! You Black Emperor, but heavier. The beginnings are pretty, vulnerable. Well worth the listen. :)

No problem, i thought it was a very interesting speech by Iggy and completely answered this thread's question even if it's not heavy-metal related.

Post rock and post metal are definitely great genres in terms of more spiritual leaning music. A lot of buildup and layers going on (arpeggios). Being mostly instrumental it also leaves room for meditating and contemplation. All those bands you mentioned are awesome of course, but if people are not into the heavier side (i can add God is an Astronaut into this group) perhaps they should try more post rock oriented bands like giants Sigur Ros or Mum and Explosions in the Sky.

I don't know, i've always hated the whole new age stuff in terms of "spiritual" music, sounds extremely lame and cheezy to me. This on the other hand really lift my spirit.

In the end.. we, as the Tao, should be seeking balance. there is an appropriate time and place for everything..being in that moment is the Tao. If all you listen to is metal and all you do is metal you loose your earth, your wood, your water...

Of course it's not metal as it now exists, I just wanted to give you it, because it's beautiful. Led Zepp are really good.

I also agree with you about Heavy Metal/ Rock... really not what I would listen to; not aimed at the parts of humans that we are cultivating, methinks.

cat, here's what i listen to in my metal moments, Therion, my metal weakness :)

of course there is a touch of magick in it.

the Therion band in involved in the higher structures of this society

or, if you prefer, here it is, an ABBA cover, fun(K)y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqVFfT4Kck

Ozzy with a twist:

There is a big debate about whether or not this person is a cross dresser. Either way, Randy Rhodes would be proud.

:D

Edited by Creation

don't fool yourself

Agreed -

feed the beast and sooner or later become the meal.

I got meself thinking. What connections might there between heavy metal and ritual based drum and dancing? Peace.

Soul Vibration!

The vibration

Higher vibrations

Obrigado from Chicago Tao Chango

Do the dance! "Knowledge will set you free" - John Coltrane

Edited by sifusufi

The search continues 00:52 is delicious !
Hamid does much singing (devotion) in Sanskrit and Arabic

Real heavy! Iron, Led (sic).. all the heavy metals Edited by sifusufi

I got meself thinking. What connections might there between heavy metal and ritual based drum and dancing? Peace.

Plenty of Gwoka Masters links out there...

The recordings, live, studio, video... are well... soul essential!

Again thanks everyone for sharing all the good music

I always wonder which attitude have Taoists towards heavy metal music? Do you consider it disturbing for a mind? Or metal is quite the contrary - thing that helps you to get rid of the negative energy and emotions?

Personally, I find metal can be quite helpful when working with kundalini. The good stuff can really clean and clear out the emotional bodies.

Our own Vajrasattva, Santiago, is the lead guitarist for a metal band, Aghora. They are getting ready to release their third CD. He sent me a couple of the new tracks to review. They are awesome. Santi is a tantric yogi and he does place empowerments and transmissions in the music.

Santi is the one with the real long hair. Santi is also a session musician/producer.

When my kundalini was starting to rise I liked the Lords of Acid. Works well with the opening of the lower chakras.

:)

s

Haha, I listened to Aghora's clip for a while and just thought it's ok.. Then I was about to shut it down when the second intense part started and suddenly I began to laugh and tear. Yes there is juice in the music, something I still feel working though it's not playing anymore. Thanks.

Personally, I find metal can be quite helpful when working with kundalini. The good stuff can really clean and clear out the emotional bodies.

Our own Vajrasattva, Santiago, is the lead guitarist for a metal band, Aghora. They are getting ready to release their third CD. He sent me a couple of the new tracks to review. They are awesome. Santi is a tantric yogi and he does place empowerments and transmissions in the music.

Santi is the one with the real long hair. Santi is also a session musician/producer.

When my kundalini was starting to rise I liked the Lords of Acid. Works well with the opening of the lower chakras.

:)

s

Music that is like a consuming swarm of locusts and which draws on twisted types of power from the abyss has nothing to do with the ways of Tao or Purity and kindness of Spirit, granted it does have a certain hypnotic (such as head banging) fascination to it until its demonic motive and hunger is really seen, known and felt for what it is... (and by then it may be to late for several karmic go arounds, since forfeiting out to such a piper enables it to exact a certain price, and there is nothing sophisticated, artisic, mystical, wise or of balanced mind and emotion in falling for that which can be likened to an "underwater mortage" of one's lifeforce and humanity)

Om

Edited by 3bob

"Forgive them Father for they know not what they do"

"...And Jesus was a sailor

When he walked upon the water

And he spent a long time watching

From his lonely wooden tower

And when he knew for certain

Only drowning men could see him

He said "All men will be sailors then

Until the sea shall free them"

But he himself was broken

Long before the sky would open

Forsaken, almost human

He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone..." from LK

Edited by 3bob

"Forgive them Father for they know not what they do"

"...And Jesus was a sailor

When he walked upon the water

And he spent a long time watching

From his lonely wooden tower

And when he knew for certain

Only drowning men could see him

He said "All men will be sailors then

Until the sea shall free them"

But he himself was broken

Long before the sky would open

Forsaken, almost human

He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone..." from LK

I LOVE this song, and many others by Cohen. This is especially hypnotic.

Music that is like a consuming swarm of locusts and which draws on twisted types of power from the abyss has nothing to do with the ways of Tao or Purity and kindness of Spirit, granted it does have a certain hypnotic (such as head banging) fascination to it until its demonic motive and hunger is really seen, known and felt for what it is... (and by then it may be to late for several karmic go arounds, since forfeiting out to such a piper enables it to exact a certain price, and there is nothing sophisticated, artisic, mystical, wise or of balanced mind and emotion in falling for that which can be likened to an "underwater mortage" of one's lifeforce and humanity)

Om

just tell us how you really feel, bob. :P lol

I am not really a fan of death metal, I prefer more of the jazz type metal of Vajrasattva, but I might make an exception for this one.

They call this Vedic Metal. The story of Krishna and Arjuna ... devotion comes in many forms.

If that is too intense how about a reggae version of Om Nama Shivaya?

s

Edited by ShaktiMama