Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

To Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and the extended Flying Phoenix community (--and especially to all my friends on the eastern seaboard of the U.S.):

I wish to inform everyone of you that from June 23 to 30th, the Eastover Estate and Retreat in Lenox, MA is sponsoring its annual Medical Qigong and Eastern Medicine Symposium and I will be demonstrating several ancient monastic Taoist arts that I preserve and teach, along with at least thirteen other Qigong masters and doctors of Traditional Chinese Medicine involved in energy healing giving their presentations.

I will be giving presentations on the last 3 days of the Symposium on these dates and at these times:

Wednesday, June 28:
9 am - 12:30 am: "Ehrmei Mountain Flying Phoenix Qigong" 
4pm - 5:30pm: "Tai Chi For Health"

Thursday, June 29:
9 am - 12:30 pm: Flying Phoenix Qigong & Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung
2 pm - 3:30 pm: Flying Phoenix Qigong

Friday, June 30:
11 am - 12:30 pm: Flying Phoenix Qigong & Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung

These short presentations at the Symposium are experiential previews of my upcoming 3-day and 5-day residential retreats at Eastover Estate on July 27 to 30 and on August 29 to September 3, respectively.  During these two retreats, I will be teaching the bulk of the FP Qigong system.  I hope that all serious practitioners of FP Qigong will try ot attend the July or August workshops or both.  Both will be intensive skills courses, where much much form correction will be given.

Complete information about the Medical Qigong Symposium including profiles of the 14 presenters is at this link: 
http://eastover.com/symposium.html

--with the schedule of events detailed here:
http://eastover.com/…/B…/symposium/SCHEDULE-2017-colored.pdf

*For those enrolled in Acupuncture and TCM studies, CEU's are offered for this professional development activity by the NCCAOM.

••• Information on the Flying Phoenix Qigong art is, of course, at:

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

>> And the proof of the Flying Phoenix Pudding is our very own and very lively worldwide discussion thread started by "Fu-doggy", Lloyd McCelland of Orlando, FL, who I must personally thank again at this juncture for starting this thread and then contacting me to join in and to answer questions a few weeks later.  It's been a fun and enlightening 2-way experience all these  years.  Who would have known that it would go on for 8 years and get 560,000+ views to date?   Let's see how many more  years and postings it goes.

[Ahem.  Many more years, I'm quite certain because I have only given answers online to a student posing questions about Vol.3 Meditations:   Wind Through Treetops and Moonbeams back channel but ONE TIME.  Just one time as far as I can recall.  And I can count on two hands and one foot how many students outside of my Calif. students  I've practiced the Long Form Standing FPHHCM well enough to require corrections through Skype.  So let's get cracking on Moonbeam and Vol.4 Standing Long Form!!!!! ]

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hey Sifu Terry,

I'm almost done with learning what's remaining on Volume 7 now. I do at least all of the following daily for my checklist of Flying Phoenix:

- Vol. 5 Flash meditations

- Vol. 4 Long Form

- Vol. 3 Wind Through the Tree Tops and Moonbeam Splashes on the Water

- MSW forms (50% 20% 10%), (90% 50% 40% 30% 10%), (50% 40% 30% 10%), (90% 80% 50% 20%)

- Monk Holds Pearl

After doing these as my bare minimum, I do anything else I feel like my body calls me to do for the day. 

Here's a few questions I have about moving forward by the time I finish Vol.7 and prepare to contact you for a Skype session: 

1) For the very first Skype session, what are the common corrections people typically find themselves going over? I'm guessing it's mainly the long form that needs corrections, or even Moonbeam and some of the seated MSW forms? 

2) What is your bare minimum expectation in terms of how much practice we should have before contacting you for a Skype session? I ask in the sense that I have no problem with adding more time to my practice or waiting a few more months to even another year before contacting you for a Skype session...but if there's anything else you would hope for or expect from someone who wants to not just go the distance of an A+ student, but to go beyond and be an S student (108% instead of 100%). 

3) How else would you advise us to better advance not just in Flying Phoenix, but other forms we may be potentially interested in?  (There are a couple others you know that I am drawn to). I know you mention in our ongoing thread here that there is a required reading list, which I have purchased almost everything listed there and already read cover to cover those titles. 

In short--how can I make your role as Sifu easier and more enjoyable as I aspire to climb to the top of the allegorical mountain with the intention of continuing to climb even after I reach the peak? How can I be what constitutes an overachiever student by the standards that you hold? 

Please excuse me if this is better meant for a PM instead of a public post, but I invite all criticism and constructive feedback or support from the rest of my fellow classmates here (if any amongst you all have any) for me being completely honest (however headstrong and foolish I may appear to be) as I ask these questions. 

• Like 4

Dear Sifu Terry,

Thank you so much for your previous post. One thing I couldn't help but notice was the idea of using the subconscious mind to affect the health. In Taoist terms, would this mean the 'shen' itself is guiding the chi on its own? I was thinking of that because it's called Fei Feng Shen Gong and not Qi Gong. Haha! :D

I have a question about the postures. I'm trying to spend as much time as possible on the lower two CDs to really build a solid foundation. For the knee bending, is it advisable to bend to the level of a horse-stance, or is it okay to do it mildly like what is shown in the DVD?

Based on DVD 1 and 2 (until my full set arrives), what would be a good routine to do? I'm currently doing:

a.  Wind Above the Clouds

b.  Bending the Bows

c.  Monk Gazing At Moon

d. Monk Holding Peach

e. Monk Holding Pearl

f.  seated Monk Serves Wine #2 (50 40 30 10)

One thing I realized lately was that my entire head seemed to have orgasms. This happened especially by the time I was doing the seated meditation. The orgasms started out on the back of the head and then slowly spread throughout the entire crown and I was literally having an orgasm on my head (that sounds so weird but this really happened). Maybe this was the brain-washing feeling that you were talking about? If it is, then may I know what's the next 'milestone' people normally get?

I was wondering about the concept of Grace. From what I know, Grace descends upon people when they cultivate enough 'merit', in Buddhist terms, allowing mother Shakti to awaken the dormant Kundalini at the root of the spine and run it through the chakras. From what one master once said, when we open the root chakra (at the Hai-Di point) we can often feel a very stark difference and can possibly hear the sounds of the chakra itself. You mentioned that it does so in a 'gentle' fashion, are these characteristic of the openings that come about from FP?

One thing i realized was that when I simply just sat to do normal meditation right after the session, I went into a deep, calm state very very easily. Would you recommend meditation right after the sequence? Thank you again.

Edit for one more question: I recently read that when crown chakra is opened, there is a realm of pure blue-sky. I wonder if this is the blue light that some practitioners of FP talk about?

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

Just stopping by to add that I'm also really interested in liminal_lukes question about how Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and Bok Fu Pai as a whole relate to immortality. 

Edited by Echo
  • Like 4

On 6/15/2017 at 4:58 AM, Earl Grey said:

Hey Sifu Terry,

I'm almost done with learning what's remaining on Volume 7 now. I do at least all of the following daily for my checklist of Flying Phoenix:

- Vol. 5 Flash meditations

- Vol. 4 Long Form

- Vol. 3 Wind Through the Tree Tops and Moonbeam Splashes on the Water

- MSW forms (50% 20% 10%), (90% 50% 40% 30% 10%), (50% 40% 30% 10%), (90% 80% 50% 20%)

- Monk Holds Pearl

After doing these as my bare minimum, I do anything else I feel like my body calls me to do for the day. 

Here's a few questions I have about moving forward by the time I finish Vol.7 and prepare to contact you for a Skype session: 

1) For the very first Skype session, what are the common corrections people typically find themselves going over? I'm guessing it's mainly the long form that needs corrections, or even Moonbeam and some of the seated MSW forms? 

2) What is your bare minimum expectation in terms of how much practice we should have before contacting you for a Skype session? I ask in the sense that I have no problem with adding more time to my practice or waiting a few more months to even another year before contacting you for a Skype session...but if there's anything else you would hope for or expect from someone who wants to not just go the distance of an A+ student, but to go beyond and be an S student (108% instead of 100%). 

3) How else would you advise us to better advance not just in Flying Phoenix, but other forms we may be potentially interested in?  (There are a couple others you know that I am drawn to). I know you mention in our ongoing thread here that there is a required reading list, which I have purchased almost everything listed there and already read cover to cover those titles. 

In short--how can I make your role as Sifu easier and more enjoyable as I aspire to climb to the top of the allegorical mountain with the intention of continuing to climb even after I reach the peak? How can I be what constitutes an overachiever student by the standards that you hold? 

Please excuse me if this is better meant for a PM instead of a public post, but I invite all criticism and constructive feedback or support from the rest of my fellow classmates here (if any amongst you all have any) for me being completely honest (however headstrong and foolish I may appear to be) as I ask these questions. 

Hi Earl Grey,

That is a pretty good and extensive minimum FP regimen that you've been practicing!  that that is your minimum practice is impressive!   Good emphasis on the intermediate and advanced standing meditations. Also a very good sampling of the seated MSW meditations. 

** I would suggest adding one FP Meditation to anchor that entire practice:  Bending the Bows.  It's one of the pillars of the system and after 25 years of practicing it, it still teaches me things and continues to transform.  You don't have to do it every day or even every practice session...but try doing it a couple of times a week.  Hint:  right before you do Moonbeam and Vol.4 FPHHCM.

Here are answers to your questions (in blue):

Every student is different when it comes to the types of corrections to their FP Qigong practice because of a myriad of factors:  age, athletic ability, mind-body coordination, level of Tai Chi experience, extent of other Chinese martial arts experience, meditation experience, yoga experience, medical condition and injuries, mental health, how people have dealt with stress all their lives, natural talent, ability to work hard and persevere, ability to take instruction literally and easily (called "physical suggestibility" in my school of hypnotherapy).  But to give general answers, I would say the most common corrections for FP practitioners are the same corrections given to my Tai Chi students:    (A)  Foot placement, (B) Orientation of the hips/waist--the "gua",  (C)  proper roundness of the chest and arms (Wuchi is everywhere, almost, when it comes to FP and Tai Chi), (D)  total relaxation of all muscles with sinking of the joints, etc.

I don't have any bare minimum expectation in terms of practice under one's belt before contacting me for private lessons.  Since I started teaching FP in the mid 90's, I've taught absolute beginners with no background in any Chinese martial or yogic art.  But I will answer your question in terms of what gets the student the biggest bang for the buck:  one should have done all the Meditations on Volume 1 of the CKFH DVD series and also all teh seated meditations on Vol.2.  I have had many students come in from far out of town to get their first instruction on Vol.3 meditations Moonbeam and Vol.4 the Long Form Standing.

I have had one Skype student in Wisconsin, who is very private, lives like a hermit, and won't participate on this thread (although he had subscribed and posted about 2.5 years ago), who has been taking Skype  lessons from me every other week for the past 2.5 years.  And he is more advanced in the FP system than any of my local Los Angeles students.

I like the degree of "studenthood" and mastery that you say you're intent on attaining:  108%.

Remember, as my classmate Sifu Hearfield posted many years ago:  slow and even is the Way.

The "Gong" in Qigong is the same "Gong" in Gong Fu:  it means a fine diligent effort, day in and day out, without strain or obsession.  ("obsession" defined operatively as:   trying too hard because one is too attached to desired outcomes or driven to mania by an unhealthy motivation.  SEE THE THIRD MOVING LINE IN I CHING HEXAGRAM 52 - MEDITATION "KEEPING STILL" FOR A GOOD GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ERROR OF TRYING TO FORCE RESULTS FROM ANY HIGH LEVEL MEDITATION ART [SUCH AS FP QIGONG].)

Regarding other forms and arts that you're interested in, make sure you get to the source of the art as close as possible.  A bona fide master or a senior student very close to a bona fide master.

Excellent that you've read the entire recommended reading list.  One book series that is a wonderful roadmap for learning Taoist arts is the one written by Carlos Castaneda (The teachings of Don Juan:  A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, A Separate Reality, Journey to Ixtlan, Tales of Power, etc.). 

The most important bookd on the required reading list for all my Qigong students is 2 primary books:  "Secret of the Golden Flower" and "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines" by W.Y. Evans-Wentz.  If you've thoroughly read the both and understand them, then you can start teaching right away.  I'm not joking!

You don't have to make my role as a teacher easier.  If you are the overachieving student that you say you want to be, once I see that, I'm sure that I will be pleasantly thrilled.

A student doesn't need to think that far ahead--i.e., to make the job of the teacher easier.

What I ask is that a student be a "good" student, as defined by Gasan:

The poor student uses his teacher's influence.

The mediocre student admires his teacher's kindness.

The good student grows strong under his teacher's instruction.

My standards are very simple:  refine your practice of the FP Qigong art and progress through all the natural steps, learning the basic level of material on the DVD series...to the extent that one is fully self-healed, has cultivated a tangible reserve of FP Healing Energy, which can be seen and felt by me and advanced practitioners, and express (or not express) a predilection for healing with the FP Healing Energy.  (The latter is totally up to you and your nature and won't affect the next couple of levels of instruction.)  If one develops naturally along those lines, then, when one is ready, the next level of Knowledge will be made available.  There are 9 advanced FP Qigong standing moving meditations that come next.

Thanks for your post and your enthusiasm and intensity!

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hi Earl Grey,

That is a pretty good and extensive minimum FP regimen that you've been practicing!  that that is your minimum practice is impressive!   Good emphasis on the intermediate and advanced standing meditations. Also a very good sampling of the seated MSW meditations. 

** I would suggest adding one FP Meditation to anchor that entire practice:  Bending the Bows.  It's one of the pillars of the system and after 25 years of practicing it, it still teaches me things and continues to transform.  You don't have to do it every day or even every practice session...but try doing it a couple of times a week.  Hint:  right before you do Moonbeam and Vol.4 FPHHCM.

Here are answers to your questions (in blue):

Every student is different when it comes to the types of corrections to their FP Qigong practice because of a myriad of factors:  age, athletic ability, mind-body coordination, level of Tai Chi experience, extent of other Chinese martial arts experience, meditation experience, yoga experience, medical condition and injuries, mental health, how people have dealt with stress all their lives, natural talent, ability to work hard and persevere, ability to take instruction literally and easily (called "physical suggestibility" in my school of hypnotherapy).  But to give general answers, I would say the most common corrections for FP practitioners are the same corrections given to my Tai Chi students:    (A)  Foot placement, (B) Orientation of the hips/waist--the "gua",  (C)  proper roundness of the chest and arms (Wuchi is everywhere, almost, when it comes to FP and Tai Chi), (D)  total relaxation of all muscles with sinking of the joints, etc.

I don't have any bare minimum expectation in terms of practice under one's belt before contacting me for private lessons.  Since I started teaching FP in the mid 90's, I've taught absolute beginners with no background in any Chinese martial or yogic art.  But I will answer your question in terms of what gets the student the biggest bang for the buck:  one should have done all the Meditations on Volume 1 of the CKFH DVD series and also all teh seated meditations on Vol.2.  I have had many students come in from far out of town to get their first instruction on Vol.3 meditations Moonbeam and Vol.4 the Long Form Standing.

I have had one Skype student in Wisconsin, who is very private, lives like a hermit, and won't participate on this thread (although he had subscribed and posted about 2.5 years ago), who has been taking Skype  lessons from me every other week for the past 2.5 years.  And he is more advanced in the FP system than any of my local Los Angeles students.

I like the degree of "studenthood" and mastery that you say you're intent on attaining:  108%.

Remember, as my classmate Sifu Hearfield posted many years ago:  slow and even is the Way.

The "Gong" in Qigong is the same "Gong" in Gong Fu:  it means a fine diligent effort, day in and day out, without strain or obsession.  (Trying too hard because one is too attached to desired outcomes)

Regarding other forms and arts that you're interested in, make sure you get to the source of the art as close as possible.  A bona fide master or a senior student very close to a bona fide master.

Excellent that you've read the entire recommended reading list.  One book series that is a wonderful roadmap for learning Taoist arts is the one written by Carlos Castaneda (The teachings of Don Juan:  A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, A Separate Reality, Journey to Ixtlan, Tales of Power, etc.). 

The most important bookd on the required reading list for all my Qigong students is 2 primary books:  "Secret of the Golden Flower" and "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines" by W.Y. Evans-Wentz.  If you've thoroughly read the both and understand them, then you can start teaching right away.  I'm not joking!

You don't have to make my role as a teacher easier.  If you are the overachieving student that you say you want to be, once I see that, I'm sure that I will be pleasantly thrilled.

A student doesn't need to think that far ahead--i.e., to make the job of the teacher easier.

What I ask is that a student be a "good" student, as defined by Gasan:

The poor student uses his teacher's influence.

The mediocre student admires his teacher's kindness.

The good student grows strong under his teacher's instruction.

My standards are very simple:  refine your practice of the FP Qigong art and avance through all the natural steps, learning the basic level of material on the DVD series...to the extent that one is fully self-healed, has cultivated a tangible reserve of FP Healing Energy, which can be seen and felt by me and advanced practitioners, and express (or not express) a predilection fo healing with the FP Healing Energy.  (The latter is totally up to you and your nature and won't affect the next couple of levels of instruction.)  If one develops naturally along those lines, then, when one is ready, the next level of Knowledge will be made available.  There are 9 advanced FP Qigong standing moving meditations that come next.

Thanks for your post.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Fantastic! Thank you Sifu Terry!

On the subject of Castaneda, who is quite a profound author, I recall discovering his work in a used bookstore/cafe during a storm years ago was no coincidence, because I could have easily spent all night (and I almost did) reading the first book (Don Juan) nonstop. The rest are in my library, and definitely among my favorites to read and re-read. 

I greatly appreciate the reminder of what "gong" refers to as it helps me not get too excited, which is quite hard with the practice due to how much joy I get from it. Moreso, the definition of the good student definitely is another great benchmark. 

I look forward to diligent practice and seeing you soon on Skype and in person for FP, and eventually, both BFP and BDG. :)

Many thanks again, with love and peace. 

• Like 3

On 6/10/2017 at 7:34 AM, taoguy said:

Looking much forward to receiving the DVDs (it takes one month to reach me :( ), especially the Monk Serves Wine for hospital work, night shifts and long-hours. I'm not sure if this was answered in my previous post... but I was wondering if there was a specific exercise in FP that allows the expelling of sick chi, especially if it comes from patients that I'm handling throughout the day. I love to help, also to heal, but I realize that most doctors end up being at a norm of 'sick' and frankly aren't energetically at a good level to heal people. Would be great to know. Thank you :) 

Hi Taoguy,
Yes, FP Qigong training will strengthen your immunity in the most sublime manner.  Then it will maintain it at a high level with regular practice so that you can treat plenty of patients on a regular basis and operate within a hospital environment, which as you know is intensely full of germs and pathogens.  Self-healing is first and automatic with FP Qigong practice. 

For healthcare professionals, the immediate benefit is that they are working more effectively with their specific skill-sets and are far less prone to contracting illnesses from their patients and environment...and also far less prone to become a "psychic sink"--i.e., to take on the exact symptoms, serious diseases, and mentalities of their patients should they "slip" and open up themselves up too much, which you have obviously observed by your statement:

...but I realize that most doctors end up being at a norm of 'sick' and frankly aren't energetically at a good level to heal people.

In teaching beginners the Flying Phoenix Qigong, I don't use the concept of "sick chi" that needs to be expelled--when they start using their energy to heal others.  Start with practicing the FP Qigong until rather quickly you feel it transform your health and immune system and impart very integrated, truly holistic strength and stamina that makes any kind of work easier.

Later, when one has become proficient in the entire first level of the FP Qigong system, if one doesn't have the skill-set already, or one has not yet discovered it naturally or developed the abilities elsewhere, then do I start teaching the energy healing. That involves teaching both the foundational energy healing methods of Tao Tan Pai, which is the Neikung/Healing system that I learned first and have practiced the most (starting in mid-1970's) teaching the healing with the FP Healing Energy and Bok Fu Pai herbology, that I learned from GM Doo Wai starting in 1991.

Until instruction in energy healing commences, the key maxim for FP beginners who have jobs in healthcare is:  "Physician, heal thyself"--via your own FP practice.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 5

On 5/15/2017 at 3:54 AM, phil48 said:

As I understood it is perfectly fine when the breath synchronizes with the movements, but the main-focus should be the movements. This means you focus on the movements, especially on doing them in the speed of the famous shifting sand-dune, and if then the breath synchronizes it's totally ok. I think the point is, that if every breath corresponds with a single movement the movements could be too fast, so when doing them very slowly there will probably be more than one breath per move, but at the same time synchronized, meaning full inhale or exhale and the end of the single movement.

This leads me to another question: Sometimes I unconsciously start reverse breathing and when I am getting aware of it I don't know if I should continue it or not as Zen-Bear states in the DVDs that one should breath normal. But as my body starts reverse breathing automatically I am not sure if it may be also fine to continue with it?

Hi Phil48,

It's OK to do reverse breathing while doing FP Qigong if your body naturally snaps into doing that.  As long as the breathing is naturally and not forced in any way, go ahead and do it.

btw, just to make sure we ae speaking the same language, please describe the "reverse breathing" that you are doing and, also, if you care to, how you learned or developed it.

Thanks.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

On 6/11/2017 at 0:15 AM, cihan said:

I practice different Doo Family meditations on Dvds and All have complete breaths between the percentage breath outs.

I believe each password invokes a specifically created entity which floods its specific energy to the meditator, l would'nt think so lightly about the percentages doubling up, they seem to be created by wizards well beyond our capabilities. Effects and feels of FPCK is extremely gentle, and with all respect, GMDW does not show much charisma while demonstrating  other forms on Youtube and also Dvds. This is a fool's barrier. Of the ones I practice ,there is a nine mudra static meditation called "pushing ging", and also two moving meds in the expensive "energy" Dvd, which flood you with an additional WoW! factor and literally dazzling inner light. You are on your own on these meds and there is no another Sifu Terry, and if someone -out there- do not clip most of their psychic effects after a few practices like it happened to me, you might feel really alone on uncharted waters without enough experience and mental configuration of prior exercising. But they feel very safe.

Fpck builds up slow and safe. Other GMDW arts will certainly help speeding up and a must to try if you have doubts.. There is a frustration barrier that needs to be climbed over and it takes some time, after it accumulates and you reach the chi. 

Hello Cihan,

Thank you for chiming in with your good information and clarification of the "complete breaths between the percentage exhalations."

I love your term "Password" for each FP Meditation's specific breath-control sequence.  If you don't mind, I will be using that occasionally from now on!

And thank you for your foreshadowing and helpful warning about practicing other Bok Fu Pai Meditations demonstrated by GM Doo Wai on Youtube and other DVD programs.  As I've stated several times in this thread, the FP Qigong is the "health safety net" of the Bok Fu Pai system and the very first thing that GM Doo Wai was taught as a child.  As most practitioiners have discovered after doing Vols. 1 and 2, this art is very safe and almost foolproof, so that one can practice it and get good results without having a Qigong master standing over you as you practice.

Cihan, the following is a very helpful heads-up for all who want to practice other Bok Fu Pai meds, but I advise everyoe who wish to do so to  first complete the first level of the Flying Phoenix system (on Vols. 1 through 5, and ideally Vol. 7 as well).  Then one will be fully established in FP Qigong and cultivated enough so that you should be able to weather any stray or accidental energy effects gotten from practicing from the Youtube demonstration programs--with no disrespect whatsoever to my teacher.

Effects and feels of FPCK is extremely gentle, and with all respect, GMDW does not show much charisma while demonstrating  other forms on Youtube and also Dvds. This is a fool's barrier. Of the ones I practice ,there is a nine mudra static meditation called "pushing ging", and also two moving meds in the expensive "energy" Dvd, which flood you with an additional WoW! factor and literally dazzling inner light. You are on your own on these meds and there is no another Sifu Terry, and if someone -out there- do not clip most of their psychic effects after a few practices like it happened to me, you might feel really alone on uncharted waters without enough experience and mental configuration of prior exercising.

Thanks again.

Best.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2017 at 4:44 PM, liminal_luke said:

Zen-Bear,

I hesitate to ask this question as the aspiration might seem presumptious, but I`m wondering about Flying Pheonix and immortality.  You said that the practice can lead to enlightenment.  Is enlightenment different from immortality?  Michael Winn explains that the Kan & Li meditations he teaches through the Healing Tao can lead to immortality by integrating/harmonizing the shen so that they don`t separate in different directions after death.  (Or at least this is my current understanding of what he`s said.) Can the Flying Phoenix meditations you teach do something similar? 

What`s the best way to get started?  If I decide to give this a try, I could see myself being able to devote an hour a day to begin with and going from there.  Maybe buy the first two DVDs, basic standing and basic sitting?  Or what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,

LL

Hello LL,

Good to wonder.

I'm glad to answer your questions the best that I can.

You said that the yogic, healing, martial, or spiritual practice can lead to enlightenment.   Yes, any practice under a true teacher can lead to enlightenment.

Is enlightenment different from immortality?   Yes, very different, but with a little overlap. 

Michael Winn explains that the Kan & Li meditations he teaches through the Healing Tao can lead to immortality by integrating/harmonizing the shen so that they don`t separate in different directions after death.  (Or at least this is my current understanding of what he`s said.) Can the Flying Phoenix meditations you teach do something similar? 

I don't believe that Mr. Winn is speaking from any type of experience in talking about "the shen splitting in different directions after death."   His wording, if you are citing it correctly,  doesn't make sense to me:  Also, you wrote "integrating/harmonizing the shen"--as if shen needs to be "integrated."  And then later you refer to shen in the  plural:  "so that they don't separate, etc."

If you have correctly recited that passage from a Michael Winn talk or writing,  I must say, quite candidly, that that sounds like totally confused gobblety gook to me.  I am not acquainted with Michael Winn.  But I happen to be pretty good and old friends with his brother, David, who was two years ahead of me at a small eastern college and one year ahead of me at the same Harvard graduate school.  And I happen to be very good and old friends with David's wife, Julie Sullivan, who was my college classmate, and who, being a Chinese Studies major in college and fluent in Chinese with strong life-long interest in Chinese culture, has never had--to the best of my knowledge--flattering things to say about her brother-in-law's way of teaching or rendering Taoist arts. 

So to answer your question, Flying Phoenix Qigong most certainly does NOT have an effect similar to that which you described, because the effect that you described does not in my yogic experience or imagination, have any value in the evolution of one's eternal soul on either the earthly or heavenly planes.  But FP Qigong, as attested to over the last 8.5 years of this thead by hundreds of people, will improve your health, t make you stronger and more functional in every way, transform your way of seeing and experiencing the world, by cleansing all the human doors of perception--internal and external doors, and give you an experiential foundation for understanding all yogas and meditative paths--and in rather short order, I must say.   **See the recent post  by "Cihan" on 6/11/2017 at 0:15 AM, which I just commented on (above). **

One very accessible Chinese semantic structure translated to English is Wilhelm's or Cleary's translations of "The Secret of the Golden Flower".   The spirit of the physically deceased will rise as a shen or enlightened spirit, or  it will sink and become earthbound or hellbound as a "guei", or negative ghost.  If one's "shen is separating in different directions after death" that sounds like that persons' disembodied spirit is in trapped in Hell's Cuisinart and Satan has turned it on "High".   I suggest reading "The Secret of the Golden Flower" to ground yourself in basic Taoist yogic and spiritual concepts terminology, so that when you do experience the supramundane, you won't be confused or lost because you're using a map that doesn't fit the territory.

The Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung that I teach has a complete system of shen-gung within it.  As does many other Nei Kung traditions, including Bok Fu Pai and 8 Sections of Energy Combined.  But training one's shen-qi--or for that matter, one's qing-qi--does NOT mean automatic immortality.  Nor does training in any practice or Yoga alone, not matter how authentic, guarantee the attainment of enlightenment and training alone certainly not guarantee immortality of the spirit. The later depends on one's karma and whether one has the strength to take spiritual guidance when it comes and make the necessary sacrifices to do one's karma-yoga (Works) to ultimately fulfill one's spiritual destiny. 

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?  

Book of James 2:14-26 (KJV)

Similarly, seeking vitality and longevity and "immortality" without Works is also dead.

Which is why the great philosopher Mencius frowned upon the obsession with seeking immortality gone to incredible extremes, and wrote, and I have quoted him here often:

"DO NOT SEEK IN YOUR VITALITY (EXERCISES) WHAT YOU DO NOT FIND IN YOUR HEART."

Hint:  for beginners, one easy way to start understanding what  "Immortality"  means--as cultivated in Taoism-- is by reading about the path, powers and works of the 8 Taoist Immortals or Saints.   And btw, Lu Tung Pin (Lu Deng Bin in pinyin), the leader of the 8 Taoist Immortals in Chinese folklore and Taoist iconography, is the reputed founder of Tao Tan Pai tradition.

What`s the best way to get started?  If I decide to give this a try, I could see myself being able to devote an hour a day to begin with and going from there.  Maybe buy the first two DVDs, basic standing and basic sitting?  Or what would you suggest?

If you are southern California:  (A) Best way to get started is come to my classes that each both Tai Chi and FP Qigong.  (B)  Second best:  buy the first 3 DVDs.  Most everybody starts FP Qigong by doing both the standing (Vol.1) and seated (Vol.2) meditations.  Then practice hard and post questions to this community to get good guidance.

All Best

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6

Thanks for your detailed reply Sifu Terry.  I heard Michael Winn lecture about immortality some years ago, so the gobbledy-gookiness of my view is likely due to my misunderstanding or misremembering.  Probably not his.

• Like 1

On 21.6.2017 at 7:39 AM, zen-bear said:

Hi Phil48,

It's OK to do reverse breathing while doing FP Qigong if your body naturally snaps into doing that.  As long as the breathing is naturally and not forced in any way, go ahead and do it.

btw, just to make sure we ae speaking the same language, please describe the "reverse breathing" that you are doing and, also, if you care to, how you learned or developed it.

Thanks.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you for answering.

I learned it from a Qigong/Neigong Teacher in my city. Instructions were: Belly inwards at inhale, outwards exhale; staying as relaxed at possible (keeping a smile on face helps) and to "lift the organs a bit" when inhaling. 

My body starts this reverse beathing often when I am doing the 2nd and 3rd MSW-Meds and it happens without me consciously thinking about it.

and a  little Update: I still love it. Learned the Long-Form and it's great. :-)

Edit: Could there be a chance that the DVDs (i am missing Vol.7.. so especially this DVD ;-) )will be uploaded on a streaming service or be sold as a download at some time in the future?Even though the DVD would be very well worth the money, but as I am from Europe  and just a poor student this could save me some delivery charges I guess :D

Edited by phil48
  • Like 2

Thank you so much Sifu Terry. 

I apologise if this has been brought up before (still reading past posts) but how should I place my attention while doing the Flying Phoenix form to achieve the best effect? I've tried:

• Doing nothing
  • Doing loving-kindness (without words), just good-will
  • Light visualisation (I and the universe are one)
  • Emptiness - vipasanya-like
  • Focusing on the hands/chi

I ask this because I know Flying Phoenix works at the level of the subconscious - does this mean that it doesn't matter what the conscious mind does? Should I just do nothing? Guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

With palms together. :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, taoguy said:

Thank you so much Sifu Terry. 

I apologise if this has been brought up before (still reading past posts) but how should I place my attention while doing the Flying Phoenix form to achieve the best effect? I've tried:

• Doing nothing
  • Doing loving-kindness (without words), just good-will
  • Light visualisation (I and the universe are one)
  • Emptiness - vipasanya-like
  • Focusing on the hands/chi

I ask this because I know Flying Phoenix works at the level of the subconscious - does this mean that it doesn't matter what the conscious mind does? Should I just do nothing? Guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

With palms together. :) 

Hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I have heard people on the thread focusing on either i) nothing, ii) daydreaming about whatever, iii) focusing on the lower dantian, iv) focusing on the form, v) focusing on their breathing (but not matching inhales and exhales to the movements). 

I personally just daydream, but not consciously, as any of the first four come up for me not by any will or intent. I tend not to focus on the lower dantian too much because I find that it causes me to do spontaneous movements (from another system I practice), which are a big no-no for Flying Phoenix, and Sifu Terry always emphasizes I-Ching hexagram 52: Keeping Still (like a mountain). 

On that note of keeping still, I can attest that Flying Phoenix helps me still my mind and jumps really far into my seated or standing meditations (zuowang and zhan zhuang). 

• Like 2

In terns of where to place your attention during Flying Phoenix, Sifu Terry answered this question several weeks ago.

He said he focuses on moving at the speed of a shifting sand dune. 

With other qigong methods that I do I have to focus on coordinating my lower dantien breathing with the same pace as my movements and also focus on moving slowly. So it is a relief when doing Flying Phoenix that I only have to focus on moving as slowly as I can. The breathing is free to do as it will, none of my concern. 

• Like 5

Hi Sifu terry. I am also practicing Flying phoenix vol 1 and 2 for some time.I recently came across Golden Flying phoenix Meditations dvd by GM Doo Wai, Are these meditations different than Flying phoenix? Also it says these are advanced meditations so are these the 2nd level of Flying Phoenix Meditations which you teach on skype? It says 3 complete groups of meditations taught by GM Doo Wai.

Thanks

Dear Sifu Terry, 

Just adding onto my previous post on the best thing to focus on.

I was wondering for the sitting meditations, is it better to remain in half-lotus? Or should we do full-lotus if we are able to sit in that? If so, would right in front of left be better? Thank you, and much appreciated for your teachings.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

After a long period of tribulations with his illness, my father is finally going to leave his physical body.

At present it his under sedation because the pain, caused by the cancer growth, was unbearable.

I'd like to ask to sifu Terry and to everyone who wants to answer (I don't know if this question was asked before):

Is it safe to practice FP in the same room where he is sleeping?

Can practicing FP in this way help him in passing away?

I ask this because when he was conscious he talked about some evil visions he had when he was next to death at some point during the long cancer progress

Edited by pitisukha

Im so sorry for the news of your father. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. If I were in the same situation, I would play the Amitabha mantra to him, in order to give him the most fortunate rebirth. In Pure Land buddhism, chanting the mantra for someone on their death bed is the greatest gift you can give them. But follow what feels right. You have my sincere best wishes.

• Like 2

comment to  immortality.   the ordinary assumption in the west is that of avoiding death or being 'raised'  from death.

i long ago eschewed the ideas of  somehow escaping biological truth.   My current take on immortality is the awareness of being present to this perfect moment,  the now.   FPCH  meditation  is  being present and as soon as one is actually present then  she/he is immortal.  Gradually with practice flying phoenix daily  the door to immortality seems to be opening,  still just a crack in the wall but  present now;  is.   If we go through life never experiencing this precious moment now,  then we are simply mortal.  Which is not that bad now is it?  If we seek deeply the presence of divine moment and rest in it.  Then  we have tasted immortality.   There is no magic  except this magic moment.  (jeez  I wish I could remember who sang that LOL)

Hoa binh

our family cat passed yesterday  ,  i cried  deeply   Requiescat in pace  Minnie Pearl  rest in peace our dear miss Pearl

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pitisukha said:

Hello everyone,

After a long period of tribulations with his illness, my father is finally going to leave his physical body.

At present it his under sedation because the pain, caused by the cancer growth, was unbearable.

I'd like to ask to sifu Terry and to everyone who wants to answer (I don't know if this question was asked before):

I ask this because when he was conscious he talked about some evil visions he had when he was next to death at some point during the long cancer progress

Hi pitisukha, this might be slightly offtopic for flying phoenix qigong but look up the usnisa vijaya dharani and continuously chant it, even better if he himself chants it. 

• Like 2

I found an interesting text about Fung Doe Duk and the Doo-Family called 

"The History of Grandmaster Doo Wai's Lineage."

Spoiler

For thousands of years, the Chinese people have used their own systems of healing for maintaining good health. Sadly, many of the ancient Chinese healing practices were forgotten over time or lost during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. However, White Tiger Kung Fu (Bak Fu Pai) is rare knowledge that has been passed from generation to generation since 1644 A.D., starting with Fung Doe Duk and ending with the sixth-generation Grandmaster, Doo Wai of the family-inherited Bak Fu Pai system of Southern Chinese Kung Fu.
Fung Doe Duk
Fung Doe Duk was a high-ranking teacher in the Shil Lum Temple located in the Fukien Province of China. After the monks participation in the fall of the Ming Dynasty, the Qing Dynasty emperor, fearful of rebellion, burned many temples, including the Fukien Shil Lum Temple. Those who managed to escape included one master nun and four master monks, including Fung Doe Duk. Upon escaping from the burning and total destruction of the Fukien Shil Lum Temple, Fung Doe Duk broke his ties from Shil Lum so as to remain hidden from the Qing Dynasty emperor and be safe from the bounty placed on his head. If Fung Doe Duk had been captured by the Qing Emperor, there would have been no White Tiger Kung Fu today. Fortunately, Doo Tin Yin provided Fung Doe Duk with refuge.
Doo Tin Yin
Doo Tin Yin was the sole holder of the Doo family's healing art, which was 3,000 years in the making. Its roots, embedded in ancient Chinese folk culture, were built upon, allowing Doo Tin Yin eventually to serve as the emperors personal physician. Risking his life and the life of his family, Doo Tin Yin gave Fung Doe Duk refuge in his home.
In exchange for his life and freedom, Fung Doe Duk passed his knowledge to Doo Tin Yin as the first generation Doo family-inherited grandmaster of the White Tiger Kung Fu system of martial arts.
Because of Doo Tin Yin's great influence as a high ranking official, he was able to arrange Fung Doe Duk's admittance into the O'mei Mountain Daoist temples in the Chinese Sichuan Province. Here, Fung Doe Duk gained a wealth of knowledge about ancient Daoist internal arts, healing, and self preservation. As a Daoist monk, Fung Doe Duk traveled for many years throughout remote China mastering and collecting fighting and healing skills from numerous tribes and villages. Fung Doe Duk combined and perfected this collected knowledge to create his awesome ultra-internal system of kung fu called White Tiger.
Six generations later, Grandmaster Doo Wai has decided to make his family-inherited White Tiger Kung Fu art available to the public. It is his wish that his family’s precious healing and martial arts knowledge be offered to those who wish to increase their quality of life and kung fu skills. The White Tiger Kung Fu system is an all encompassing approach to healing and preservation involving herbal nutrition and internal energy cultivation that the Daoist were so famous for!.
What is White Tiger Kung Fu?
White Tiger Kung Fu, or Bak Fu Pai in Cantonese, is a southern Chinese internal martial art.
Also known as "The Emperor's Art," White Tiger Kung Fu has been passed down through the Doo family for nearly 400 years. The Doo family served as the right hand to Chinese emperors, and their security force protected the emperor during feudal times. They were responsible for both the emperor's physical safety as well as his health and well-being.
Believed to have been lost in the 1800's, Bak Fu Pai is still around today. It was said, " the only time someone saw the White Tiger system was just before death." Considered one of the most secretive, mysterious, and deadly arts in the world, White Tiger has recently been made available to the public through the current grandmaster's certified instructors.

https://www.facebook.com/Shifu.Wael.Al.Asadi/photos/a.453741338054011.1073741843.227532177341596/453741871387291/

edit:

And here is a text by GM Doo Wai about how Fang Doe Duk received the meditations

http://tibetan.tripod.com/ch-phoen.htm

edit2:

For maybe 2 weeks I feel energy at the laogongs the whole day. It increases especially when doing Bending the Bows or the MSW-Meditations and it really starts tingling there, but even when I am doing nothing or just walking at the street I feel the energy in my palms. I like it, because it appears to me that when I focus on the energy sensations in my hands it has kind of a grounding, calming effect and also increases my energy level. 

Edited by phil48
  • Like 6

On 6/28/2017 at 6:36 PM, pitisukha said:

Hello everyone,

My condolences. :(

I personally haven't tried practicing in the same room as someone dying or with cancer, but in general, when I practice, people who aren't well feel better. I also visited someone's mother with Leukemia, and she reported that she felt better when I was around, which, coincidentally, was after I had done two hours of Flying Phoenix.

I'd also say when he passes, Om Mani Padme Hum is very, very helpful for penetrating the six realms and Om Namo Narayanaya will help him with oneness after too. Let me know if you want details in the event that this is too brief for you. 

• Like 2

My best friend called me the other night and he spoke almost non-stop while I listened to him describe his experiences being with his girlfriend from a very brief previous relationship while she was dying of cancer a few weeks ago. He did his Transcendental Meditation and qigong practice in her house and at times meditated in her room. He said he had the deepest meditations there in the 40 years that he has done TM. One night he went outside of the house to do qigong and while doing the first movement of the Wudang 8 Qigong form by Arnold Tayam, which is called Connecting Heaven and Earth, he sensed the energy from his hands going up to the Cosmos and when he did the Earth part of the movement he could sense the energy going deeply down into the Earth. This was not visualizing or intention, it happened spontaneously and he had never before felt anything like this from any qigong method that he had performed. His take on this was that all of the meditation done in that house by the dying woman's visitors had attracted Higher Beings to be with her and thus everyone, including visiting nurses, commented on this energy as soon as they entered the house. The dying woman had described seeing all of these people coming into her room but not thru the bedroom door. So I surmise that high energy from meditation and qigong attracts like energy from the Universe.

Therefore, based on that, I would certainly do qigong in a dying person's room. And I would let go of any fear based superstitions preventing that from being done. What a great way to transition, being in a room with such high energy. Otherwise, the person is leaving the body surrounded by low vibrations of grief and sadness. 

• Like 4

On 6/28/2017 at 3:36 AM, pitisukha said:

Hello everyone,

Hello Pitisukha,

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's dire state of health and that he is under unbearable pain.

This is my answer to your question:

While I don't consider it an ideal setting for practicing FP Qigong, if you are already well-practiced in FP Qigong and if you are keeping a constant vigil over your father and cannot leave or do not want to leave his bedside and want to rejuvenate yourself during your vigil, then I think it is generally safe to practice FP Qigong.  However, bear in mind that there is a general admonition in the Qigong world that one should not practice the art when one is emotionally distraught, upset, morose, or depressed.  

If you are clear, it is fine to use FP Qigong to help you keep vigil.
But much depends on your long relationship with our father, (your karma with him), and if there is any unfinished business.

Also, if one is a theist, it is customary to pray over the dying loved one.  When I was at my father's bedside during his final hours, practicing Qigong was the farthest thing from my mind--and I had complete closure on every known issue with him.  

Again, I am very sorry to hear that your father is on the verge of passing.
May he pass in peace.

Sincerely,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5