joeblast

The Cool Picture Thread

tumblr_o61uyneZLx1utpbkho1_1280.jpg

And while Zarathustra was speaking someone in the crowd interrupted: "We've heard enough about the tightrope walker; now it's time to see him!" And while the crowd laughed at Zarathustra, the tightrope walker, believing that he had been given his cue, began his performance.

Zarathustra, however, looked at the people and wondered. Then he spoke thus:

Man is a rope stretched between the animal and the Overman -- a rope over an abyss. A dangerous crossing, a dangerous wayfaring, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous trembling and halting. What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not a goal: what is lovable in man is that he is an over-going and a down-going. I love those that know not how to live except as down-goers, for they are the over-goers……. 

• Like 3

two pics from my recently travels to Guatemala & Mexico:

q0eMlUp.jpg

(Semuc Champey, Guatemala)

pGRd306.jpg

(Tulum, Mexico)

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 6

cept for what appears to be snow of whatever composition burying some of those mountains  :D

• Like 1

cept for what appears to be snow of whatever composition burying some of those mountains  :D

Dirty ice.  Pluto really is more like a comet than anything else.

And true, it doesn't snow on the Moon very often.

Brother Tatonka! 

My wife and I camped at Sage Creek in the Badlands for our honeymoon.  The only rules of this campground at that time was no fire, that you had to leave no trace and you had to hike a mile from the parking area before you set up... oh and no fires. 

I awoke well before dawn the second day, unzipped the tent to discover half a dozen dome tents all around us.  Boy was I pissed!  Are you kidding me?  All this open land and you guys have to set up your tents right next to us?  On my honeymoon?! What the...?!!!

Then I got stopped and thought, wait, how could they get in here and set up silently in the dark?  Then I recalled the warning signs about not trying to entice close bison encounters as they tend to be territorial and their warning bumps tend to be fatal for humans and that they were present in the area...

As it grew a little lighter, sure enough, I realized that we were not hemmed in by nosy campers, but were honored with the presence of a family of Tatonka, sleeping all around us.  I sat there in the tall grass that morning as the sun rose over us, watching as they slowly rose and headed off for their day.  Never forget the joy of my discovery and the laughter at my assumptions about the dark lumps in the night.

some years later.  Mother sent me a potent gift.

in a vision I saw an ocean of Tatonka, thundering across the plains of what we refer to as america.  In the vision, I was a hawk riding thermals over the plains of the Midwest and this ocean of life below me, thundered by for hours, millions upon millions, coming from the East and reaching from horizon to horizon as far as I could see.  It was an impossible number to comprehend.  They were headed into the West, not to return and when they had passed, I had the clear realization that they represented all the Tatonka who had ever, or ever would exist on this plane.  My grief is still palpable in recall, though my gratitude is greater.

• Like 5