joeblast

The Cool Picture Thread

I was just about to post some pics I uploaded to imgur, but get the following message:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Can someone explain why this is??

The system accepts only certain file types.  I forget how to find a list of which types.  Make a post in "Forum and Tech Support" and someone will get back to you.

• Like 1

The system accepts only certain file types.  I forget how to find a list of which types.  Make a post in "Forum and Tech Support" and someone will get back to you.

Oh, I see what I did - I tried the "Share Link" which is different than the "BBCode (Forums)" link on imgur.  At first, I thought the restriction was because I posted from imgur, not because of a wrong code.  Thank you for helping me figure that out ^_^

now for the pictures:

from Santa Barbara, CA

FdpocdA.jpg

near Happy camp, CA

W6CkZo8.jpg

near Ashland, Oregon:

9d0hkJA.jpg

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I was out in that area.  The first time I visited the rain forests of Oregon I was totally amazed.  I do love the geography of that area but the weather is too rainy and cold for me.  I think San Francisco is my favorite US city.  I visited it many times whenever I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington.

Of course, Vancouver, BC is a pretty neat city too.

This picture is from Southern Oregon, which isn't quite as rainy as northern Oregon and Washington state.

Southern California coast is beautiful but a bit too crowded for my taste.  Santa Barbara wasn't quite as bad as LA or San Diego, at least.  San Fran is really nice, I'd love to spend more time there but it is a very expensive city.  What branch did you serve in Marblehead?

My favorite is the most Northern California and Southern Oregon, aka the State of Jefferson.  Their history is interesting - they almost became an independent state but then World War 2 happened... It has a very independent vibe.  San Fran is very liberal, but State of Jefferson is more mixed- but it seems both the rednecks and hippies in this area are more independent-minded than most other Dems/Conservatives I know.

I still haven't checked out Vancouver, but I spent a month travelling and camping on Vancouver Island a few years back.  It was very beautiful to camp on the  beach that was right next to thick Redwood-filled rainforests. :)

Edited by futuredaze

This picture is from Southern Oregon, which isn't quite as rainy as northern Oregon and Washington state.

Southern California coast is beautiful but a bit too crowded for my taste.  Santa Barbara wasn't quite as bad as LA or San Diego, at least.  San Fran is really nice, I'd love to spend more time there but it is a very expensive city.  What branch did you serve in Marblehead?

My favorite is the most Northern California and Southern Oregon, aka the State of Jefferson.  Their history is interesting - they almost became an independent state but then World War 2 happened... It has a very independent vibe.  San Fran is very liberal, but State of Jefferson is more mixed- but it seems both the rednecks and hippies in this area are more independent-minded than most other Dems/Conservatives I know.

I still haven't checked out Vancouver, but I spent a month travelling and camping on Vancouver Island a few years back.  It was very beautiful to camp on the  beach that was right next to thick Redwood-filled rainforests. :)

I was (still am) Army.  Four tours at Ft. Lewis.

Yes, there is a distinct difference between southern and northern Oregon.  It's almost as dramatic as the trip from Tacoma, WA to Yakima, WA.  I never got tired of driving over that mountain range.

Yes, San Francisco is an expensive city to live in.  San Diego is almost as bad.  San Diego was my second choice for where to settle after retirement.

My first trip into north/central California was a big surprise for me as I didn't expect all the country folks living there.  Not much different from south/central Georgia.

Steam on Lake Superior, a bit earlier in December, this 2016.

Looks like something apocalyptic!

SteamOnLakeSuperiorDecember2016.jpg

• Like 5

Just recently I watched a short documentary concerning the little critters that make that light.

Seems it is a distraction for what could be predators.

• Like 1

Its hot (and now finally ) wet as well here ..... now these 'critters' will come out  in my garden and bamboo grove ;

fungi-mushrooms-photography-steve-axford

c94fee7410e0e61bba6233dd731789c1.jpg

... that's the closest pic I could find of the pale blue one . 

and another I cant find a picture anything like it ; its like a  spreading ground fungus, a film over the bare ground in the bamboo, its a color similar to top pic  . 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

Fungi are neat. They are neither plant nor animal. Now that's special and unique!

Not quite unique but an excellent illustration of the challenge faced by attempting to fit "reality" ("nature" or whatever) into tidy little boxes. We currently find ourselves struggling to even define "life" much less to classify and categorize it. Heck! We are having to rewrite anatomy books right now because we've realized that we've been overlooking an entire organ for centuries.

<singing_off-key>

History shows again and again

How nature points up the folly of men...

<wanders_off>

• Like 5

hmm...

I've got a different one now.

The little green hummingbird is not what you posted A&P?

The Northern Lights -- a more novel version called "light pillars." The photographer said it was incredibly bright, and almost looked like something supernatural. I bet!

pillar-lights.jpg

• Like 5

The Northern Lights -- a more novel version called "light pillars." The photographer said it was incredibly bright, and almost looked like something supernatural. I bet!

pillar-lights.jpg

Beings of Light sometimes appear this way, too.
  • Like 1

I'll take your word for it - I've never seen one.

Perhaps you just didn't recognize what you were seeing.