Sign in to follow this  
Archaic17

why TaoBUM?

Not affiliated with an organization. On the loose.

This forum is not run by any certain school / tradition / teacher.

(Though of course individuals vary.)

Taoists were known to wander as beggers..... but this place is known as that because in the beginning the founding members came from the Mantak Chia website I think and Sean called it Tao Bums after the Dharma Bums website.

Welcome to da Bums. :)

i dont really like the connection of a taoist to a bum please explain some one..

ever read jack kerouac's 'Dharma Bums'? good stuff. i read that and his other works at a young age; those

reads had huge impact. 'taobums' sounded great to me right away.

Archaic17, are you, by any chance, like me, from the UK?

It's just that the term "bum" has a different meaning in the US.

In the US, it means a tramp or hobo, whereas in the UK it means the human gluteus maximus or posterior! :blink: I think its American equivalent would be "tushy".

There was a 1933 Al Jolson musical film called Hallelujah I'm a Bum! that was corrected to Hallelujah I'm a Tramp! for its transition across the pond.

:lol:

So as we are gathered around the campfire with our Elders are there any more stories about the founding of our Town? I believe it was turbulent times when Healing Tao split.

Pretty sure it was Sean's idea modeled after Dharma Bums.

I still haven't read that book.

Yes in nutshell the Healing Tao board crashed or something and Sean and some other's who still post here like Smile and Pietro got this site going.

There was some drama at the beginning but it eventually cooled off.

It's been interesting watching the development of this site. I don't think about the name much but I guess it is sort of odd to mix the word "Tao" with the word "Bum".

I think most people find it sort of funny though :)

Sign in to follow this