Mskied

Do What Thou Wilt

2 hours ago, kyoji said:

what makes you disagree with the 'stopping thinking' ? in my experience, the more you can drop incessant egoic thinking, the more you can let a far greater intelligence work through you. no thinking required. thinking only inhibits this.

There's a big difference in my experience between stopping mental chatter - or egoic thinking as you say - and 'stopping thinking' as such.  Just my conclusion after a few years of practicing meditation - you are free to disagree of course ;)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Apech said:

Obviously ... what I meant was everyone except Bruno!!!!!!!!! :)  (I knew it was a quote though :) ).

He didnt ?  

see   5.   ^

“We can state with certainty that the universe is all center, or that the center of the universe is everywhere and the circumference nowhere.” — Giordano Bruno, 1584

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Nungali said:

He didnt ?  

see   5.   ^

“We can state with certainty that the universe is all center, or that the center of the universe is everywhere and the circumference nowhere.” — Giordano Bruno, 1584

Ah ... I should read more slowly ... especially after a bottle of red ha ha.

2 hours ago, Apech said:

There's a big difference in my experience between stopping mental chatter - or egoic thinking as you say - and 'stopping thinking' as such.  Just my conclusion after a few years of practicing meditation - you are free to disagree of course ;)

i don't think i disagree.. :lol:

19 hours ago, Apech said:

I think it's the quality of the thinking that makes the difference.  I do still think, of course - but it seems to be much more uncluttered, more focused.  And capable of being turned off to enjoy the moment.

the interesting thing about losing one's memory, as I am, is that it doesn't really affect the immediate moment.  If one can mellow their thoughts, utilizing the brain as needed, it can actually be pulled off pretty well.  As my mom (who has Alzheimers) got worse, her sense of panic about forgetting things was palpable.  But if one is trained in meditation and can stay in the moment, the loss of memory is easier coped with and less discombobulating. 

A big difference, as I see it.  The only down side, is that I probably wrote this same exact thing 4 posts ago.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

If all is one, then there can be no distinction between any parts. 

'All' is 'one' in the sense that there is nothing other than it.  Technically if we take the 'all' as a continuum then it has no parts - but it does have an infinite variety of expression, as witnessed for instance by the variety of life on earth.  There is distinction - as this word comes from a root meaning 'to prick' or perhaps 'sting' (cf. distinguish) - because the expressions of the 'all' each have their own unique point or purpose - or if you like, function.  Form follows function and so we perceive this as a variety of forms (10k things) - even though they all share the same inner nature which is not different to the 'all' itself.

All is one - because whatever thing, form, being or so on you encounter has this as its source and nature.  But it is not one at the head of a series like, one, two, three ... it is what the Vedantans call a one without a second - the absolute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Apech said:

...  if we take the 'all' as a continuum then it has no parts - but it does have an infinite variety of expression, ....

tenor.gif?itemid=4716149

• Like 2