Mskied

Do What Thou Wilt

I got my deck waaaay back as a youngun, only one Fool card  in it .

;)

Not only that, it also came with only one magician card   , the  one on the right .

t-3mage.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Nungali, which Fool card do you tend to use when doing Thoth readings? Or do you keep all three at once? 

That last post was in response to this  ^

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

That magick is Fooling no-one, Nungas.

56 minutes ago, Apech said:

That magick is Fooling no-one, Nungas.

I got done by the not quoting , just post beneath thingo at the end of a page .

But here is a   REAL  magic  trick,     especially for you ;

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nungali said:

Oops, yes, Magus, not Fool!

I use all three Magi and the Crowley ghost card for what was taught to me was to utilize the uniqueness of the decks. 

I did what I wanted, when I wanted, and I did it. When I look back it didn't me an ounce of notoriety, integrity, trustworthiness. 

For me using three Magus cards, two of which were rejected by Crowley, would create an imbalance towards fire and projection. Not to mention there would be two magi without their high priestess counterparts, creating  a leaning towards the masculine dominance which I'm perhaps overly sensitive towards. 

Edited by ilumairen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I did what I wanted, when I wanted, and I did it. When I look back it didn't me an ounce of notoriety, integrity, trustworthiness. 

The do what one will bit comes after the meeting and conversing with one's "holy guardian angel" bit.. prior to this bridging of what is sometimes referred to as the higher and lower it isn't actually the acting out of what was referred to as "true will."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Oops, yes, Magus, not Fool!

I use all three Magi and the Crowley ghost card for what was taught to me was to utilize the uniqueness of the decks. 

Crowley ghost card   ?  :huh:

My deck was the one with 1 magician and a red unicursal hexagram on black background .

1200px-Crowley_Unicursal_Hexagram_Tarot_

I think it also had a 'title card' in there too  - top left ;

4271_1.jpg

there was  a later deck with a 'rainbow' one ;

y40mnluw9wh01.jpg

Is the 'ghost card' a blank ?   This all depends on the cutting sheets , a certain number often comes out that are greater than 78, so they print something on them or leave them blank .

On the old Tarot forum site (now defunct ) people often argued about the meaning of a card .  a fellow conspirator of mine there agreed to start up an argument with me there about the meaning of the blank card .  It went on for some time . Some people where totally mystified and just did not get it .  :D   Including the stupid mods on that site  - they thought  we where serious  " How on earth can you argue about the meaning of a blank card - its a blank card for goodness sakes ! "

he is a picture of it  ;

. and here is what it REALLY means  ;

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I did what I wanted, when I wanted, and I did it.

Well, of course , when you do what you  'want'  any thing can happen .

Just wondering if you read any of the thread , or just the title ?

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

When I look back it didn't me an ounce of notoriety, integrity, trustworthiness. 

think you left a word or two out there  ^    ( give , gain, get , earn  ? )

But this has inspired me to coin the new 'law' that sees to be governing this new society that has arisen

' Get what you want is the whole of the law .'

he-who-dies-with-the-most-toys-wins.jpg

2 hours ago, ilumairen said:

For me using three Magus cards, two of which were rejected by Crowley, would create an imbalance towards fire and projection.

?   Why fire  ? :huh:

Not to mention there would be two magi without their high priestess counterparts, creating  a leaning towards the masculine dominance which I'm perhaps overly sensitive towards. 

I agree, it would seem to unbalance the deck .   I actually think those other Magi are a bit strange ; monkey swastika   :wacko:, -  Dr Octopus :( .    'Golden Boy '  :) 

Lets take a moment to acknowledge the artist, Lady Frieda Harris  ;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXJ09RaYN43bDz1IYGfb8

Frieda with her 'fanatical slave driver '  (his own words ) ;

Untitled-design108.jpg

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

?   Why fire  ? :huh:

Three "heralds of the Sun" sound extra fiery to me.

In all honesty though when I asked myself the same question when writing the post, it slowly unveiled itself to a correlation with a personal life situation.

(At which point perhaps I should have edited it out, but decided to leave it be.)

And there is the concern for you and your possum friends...

I agree, it would seem to unbalance the deck .   I actually think those other Magi are a bit strange ; monkey swastika   :wacko:, -  Dr Octopus :( .    'Golden Boy '  :) 

Lets take a moment to acknowledge the artist, Lady Frieda Harris  ;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXJ09RaYN43bDz1IYGfb8

Frieda with her 'fanatical slave driver '  (his own words ) ;

Untitled-design108.jpg

Gratitude to both.

Edited by ilumairen

Three "heralds of the Sun" sound extra fiery to me.

Not to be picky about it ... but ;

The Herald of the Sun is  Hermes

61Gr2f15WML._SY679_.jpg

Usually attributed to Mercury and 'Air'  .  I guess you have read my raves about  Mercury ( 'higher'  Air )  being the regulator between the polarities of Fire and Water ?

" The Sun in Thy Father!

Thy Mother the Moon!

The Wind hath borne Thee in its bosom!  "

... and perhaps even 'bisexual '  ?

hermaphrodite (n.)

late 14c. (harmofroditus), from Latin hermaphroditus, from Greek hermaphroditos "person partaking of the attributes of both sexes," as a proper name, the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, who, in Ovid, was loved by the nymph Salmacis so ardently that she prayed for complete union with him and as a result they were united bodily, combining male and female characteristics.

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 2

You can be as picky as you like my dear Nungali, and I thank you for sharing.

In the book I've recently mentioned, a barely discernable sun burst is noted behind the large stylized wing on the left ankle, this starburst is then related to Mercury as the herald of the Sun. I had to squint and focus to see it (the sunburst), but it is there.

The correction between air and fire as related to Mercury is noted. Thank you. 

Please keep this discussion going since now it is much more interesting and to the point!  

I think it is apropos to this in defining the HGA. 

For further reference regarding what was shared by the author of Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, refer to the passages starting on page 69 of Crowley's book of Thoth.

You might have read some of my posts comparing the concept of  the 'True Will'   from Crowley with the concept of '  Khavanah ' in Zoroastrianism .   The concept of the HGA (Crowley) seems to relate to the concept of  the     ' Frahovar - the 'United Fraveshi '  in Zoroastrianism . In the Zoroastrian view  (possibly similar to the ancient Egyptian  *  ) it seems to be a developmental  process  (ie, the HGA is 'developed' ) . A few concept underlie this ;

Fraveshi ;  

• There is another spiritual component that resides in all of creation, living and not living, called the fravashi (later farvard or farohar in Middle Persian).
  • An aspect of the fravashi, sometimes called the divine spark, gives every part and particle of creation the laws of asha - the laws that govern the spiritual and material universe.
  • This aspect of the fravashi maintains, sustains and helps creation progressively move or evolve towards frasho-kereti (Middle Persian frashegird, frashigird or frashogard), an ultimate and ideal future existence (also see reference in Khvarenah below).
  • The fravashi can be thought of as the hand of God in all of creation, or perhaps, the means by which God's plan resides in all of creation. Since God's law and plan are in every part and particle of creation from the very beginning, there is no need for God to intervene in the evolution of creation from time to time.
  • While the soul is personal, the fravashi is universal.
  • The fravashi gives a person intuitive access to the moral and ethical laws of Asha, and allows a person to gain insights into the nature of creation through introspection.

United Fraveshi;

• A person's spiritual components, that is, the person's urvan (soul), mainyu (spirit), fravashi and khvarenah can unite and... are generally referred to collectively as that person's (united) fravashi:
  • If the spirit, soul and khvarenah are in harmony with asha, they come together to form a united fravashi.
  • The united fravashi of the righteous have the ability to become guardian angels.
    • In the Farvardin Yasht (at 13.70): Tao he jasaonti avanghe yezi-she bavainti anazaretao khshnutao ainitao atbishtao ughrao ashaunam fravashayo, tao dim ava nifravayente manayen ahe yatha na merekho hupareno.
      Free rendering: They, the asha-abiding fravashis, come to assist those who are beneficent and not hurtful or offensive. To them, the fravashis will assuredly come flying like birds well-winged.

The symbol of the fravahar or farohar therefore has three meanings nowadays:

• As a general symbol of the Zoroastrian faith: a symbol of belonging to the Zoroastrian community and of being a Zoroastrian (a symbol in a manner similar to the Christian cross).
  • As a fravahar or farohar: a general symbol of the united fravashi or a guardian angel.
  • As a symbol used by a Persian Achaemenian king: a personal symbol of the king's khvarenah or farr, his kingship in grace, or his fravashi.

faravahar_persepolis100.jpg

ref ;    http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/overview/index.htm

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ralis said:

Please keep this discussion going since now it is much more interesting and to the point!  

I think it is apropos to this in defining the HGA. 

I don't know if this will be found useful or not, but, according to the author of this short article what is shared seems to be as close as Crowley came to "defining" the HGA.

http://www.ladyofthestars.ca/crowley-on-the-hga/

• Like 1

345-triangle.png

Ka                                         Ba                             Srh  **

**  " If all the rites, ceremonies, and preservation rituals for the ẖt were observed correctly, and the deceased was found worthy (by Osiris and the gods of the underworld) of passing through into the afterlife, the sꜥḥ (or spiritual representation of the physical body) forms ."

(if Apec is around might he  want to re-arrange or correct this , I cant find the diagram  I used before to show this )

• Thanks 1

(if Apec is around might he  want to re-arrange or correct this , I cant find the diagram  I used before to show this )

@Apech, kitty cat, your name has been invoked. :lol:

Edited by ilumairen

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

Crowley ghost card   ?  :huh:

My deck was the one with 1 magician and a red unicursal hexagram on black background .

1200px-Crowley_Unicursal_Hexagram_Tarot_

I think it also had a 'title card' in there too  - top left ;

Yes, this is the one that was from the original deck that I had with my dad before he became a bit crazy and threw it away saying that it was "evil" because he read a story about Crowley dissecting a live cat and said it was tainted with that energy. This was after using it for over 30 years too, and he believed something he read on the Internet. 

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

there was  a later deck with a 'rainbow' one ;

y40mnluw9wh01.jpg

My deck has this ghost card and all three magi. 

Some people say it means nothing, but one method I was taught was to use this as Crowley's signifier to show the later synthesis of all knowledge he had corroborated together. But it also could mean absolutely nothing. :D

On 11/23/2019 at 4:13 AM, Nungali said:

t-3mage.jpg

The way I was taught to use these cards was that from left to right, one was the "baby" magus, the right one was the teen, and the middle one was the adult. 

Another method a friend promised to teach but never did was to use the left two cards separate from the deck and the far right one as the main magus card. The left two would be used to find missing cards. Never learned it though.

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Yes, this is the one that was from the original deck that I had with my dad before he became a bit crazy and threw it away saying that it was "evil" because he read a story about Crowley dissecting a live cat and said it was tainted with that energy. This was after using it for over 30 years too, and he believed something he read on the Internet. 

My deck has this ghost card and all three magi. 

The hexagram card is this  'ghost card' ?  - I never heard that one before .

from now on I am going to call it 'the dead cat card' .   :) 

I used to have this old  guy, years back, that would come to my market stall, look at stuff, flick through books, lecture me about evil Crowley, and the Thoth deck ...... and then sit down for his reading       :D   .

he had a bad opinion of Crowley as he had met him - and it didnt go well - for him.  - now there is a story !   He was also in a 'set' with Symonds ( one time Corwley's editor  )  and picked up some of Symonds latter  disdaim for AC .

Some people say it means nothing, but one method I was taught was to use this as Crowley's signifier to show the later synthesis of all knowledge he had corroborated together. But it also could mean absolutely nothing. :D

or whatever you want .

The way I was taught to use these cards was that from left to right, one was the "baby" magus, the right one was the teen, and the middle one was the adult. 

Arrrrgh !  PLEASE    no more teen magi ! 

:D

Another method a friend promised to teach but never did was to use the left two cards separate from the deck and the far right one as the main magus card. The left two would be used to find missing cards. Never learned it though.

Might be good if the card you lost was Atu I

23 minutes ago, Nungali said:

The hexagram card is this  'ghost card' ?  - I never heard that one before .

from now on I am going to call it 'the dead cat card' .   :) 

I used to have this old  guy, years back, that would come to my market stall, look at stuff, flick through books, lecture me about evil Crowley, and the Thoth deck ...... and then sit down for his reading       :D   .

he had a bad opinion of Crowley as he had met him - and it didnt go well - for him.  - now there is a story !   He was also in a 'set' with Symonds ( one time Corwley's editor  )  and picked up some of Symonds latter  disdaim for AC .

or whatever you want .

Arrrrgh !  PLEASE    no more teen magi ! 

:D

Might be good if the card you lost was Atu I

21 minutes ago, Nungali said:

.... you could even loose it twice  !

Ha, every now and then I use the Thoth deck, but among my 40+ decks, I treat each deck like a different tool for each situation. I generally don’t use it much unless I need a Crowley flavor to my readings, which these days is one voice among many. Maybe one day I’ll show my collection.

And yes, teen magi? No need for them. I once knew a gal whom I gave the original mythic tarot as a gift to, and she would not just lend the deck randomly to people, but individual cards... and wondered why her readings didn’t come out well.

I actually had one crowley deck stolen and one lost. My current one is literally under wraps now and doesn’t go anywhere but my bag and my room.