Ha.... see now you made Drew jealous. For this reason I award him this very small consolation prize. It's not much in comparison to the precious but it's something.

raccoon-sm4.jpg

• Haha 2

I want one of those cute raccoon prizes so I guess I better dig deep and come up with another story.

Many years ago, I attended a three month silent vipassana retreat.  (No, that´s not the weird part.)  We were instructed not to talk to each other at all except for necessary communication during daily chores.  We could, however, anonymously give each other little treats, usually chocolate, by placing things on someone´s meditation cushion when they weren´t there.  Someone gave me a teddy bear -- I had no idea who -- and I decided to regift it.  There were about 100 of us there at the retreat and by amazing coincidence (or weird karma?) I ended up giving the teddy bear right back to the person who gave it to me.  

We talked at the end of the retreat and it turned out that he´d regretted giving up the teddy bear as it was personally meaningful to him, so he was especially pleased and surprised to get it back.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I want one of those cute raccoon prizes so I guess I better dig deep and come up with another story.

Many years ago, I attended a three month silent vipassana retreat.  (No, that´s not the weird part.)  We were instructed not to talk to each other at all except for necessary communication during daily chores.  We could, however, anonymously give each other little treats, usually chocolate, by placing things on someone´s meditation cushion when they weren´t there.  Someone gave me a teddy bear -- I had no idea who -- and I decided to regift it.  There were about 100 of us there at the retreat and by amazing coincidence (or weird karma?) I ended up giving the teddy bear right back to the person who gave it to me.  

We talked at the end of the retreat and it turned out that he´d regretted giving up the teddy bear as it was personally meaningful to him, so he was especially pleased and surprised to get it back.

Nice one. 

Since you brought up weird happenings at retreats, I'll up the weirdness (hoping for the prize of a live raccoon, at least) by telling the story from my participation in my first ayahuasca ceremony.

Upon drinking it, and before I could feel any effects, I was just sitting there in the dark, trying to organize my thoughts around a particular issue.  The thoughts ran in Russian, and I mentally said a name of a certain person and addressed that person, also mentally:  "such-and-such, let's make peace."   A dark silhouette approached me and a male voice said, "Hey, did you just call me?"  "No, I didn't call anyone."  "But I distinctly heard you call my name and then say something about making peace."  "I did not...  what's your name?"  He said the name I was thinking and added,  "That's my last name." 

The name I was thinking is a first name, in a different language, which I never heard used as a last name.  It is possible of course but it's uncommon enough for me to have never heard of such a last name before.  So -- triple weirdness here: 1. The guy heard me telepathically.  2. He happened to have the same last name as the first name I mentally said, and the odds are, all last names I ever heard in my life to one.  3. He was in that place at that time.  The place was removed from where either of us lives by thousands of miles.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Many years ago, I attended a three month silent vipassana retreat.  (No, that´s not the weird part.)

Lovely story. 🙂 Just curious if you don't mind answering, was this at IMS Forest Refuge? I've done several 9-day retreats at the main retreat center there. Slowly working up the nerve for a 3-month. Would probably do a 42-day first.

Sean

37 minutes ago, sean said:

Lovely story. 🙂 Just curious if you don't mind answering, was this at IMS Forest Refuge? I've done several 9-day retreats at the main retreat center there. Slowly working up the nerve for a 3-month. Would probably do a 42-day first.

Sean

Maybe that´s what it´s called.  Not sure.  It was at the Insight Meditation center in Barre, Massachusetts.  They used to have a 3 month retreat there every fall, maybe still do.  It was one of the most difficult things I´ve ever done and also one of the most fulfilling.  I kind of sucked at it, broke all sorts of rules.  After about a month of silence, I walked into the small town nearby to buy a slice of pizza, a very unvegetarian slice.  Not recommended.  I anonymously submitted a question complaining about the no-masturbation rule that was addressed in an evening dharma talk.  Towards the end, I even (gasp!) started reading books. Another no-no.  For all that, the experience goes down as a milestone in my life.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Nice one. 

Since you brought up weird happenings at retreats, I'll up the weirdness (hoping for the prize of a live raccoon, at least) by telling the story from my participation in my first ayahuasca ceremony.

Upon drinking it, and before I could feel any effects, I was just sitting there in the dark, trying to organize my thoughts around a particular issue.  The thoughts ran in Russian, and I mentally said a name of a certain person and addressed that person, also mentally:  "such-and-such, let's make peace."   A dark silhouette approached me and a male voice said, "Hey, did you just call me?"  "No, I didn't call anyone."  "But I distinctly heard you call my name and then say something about making peace."  "I did not...  what's your name?"  He said the name I was thinking and added,  "That's my last name." 

The name I was thinking is a first name, in a different language, which I never heard used as a last name.  It is possible of course but it's uncommon enough for me to have never heard of such a last name before.  So -- triple weirdness here: 1. The guy heard me telepathically.  2. He happened to have the same last name as the first name I mentally said, and the odds are, all last names I ever heard in my life to one.  3. He was in that place at that time.  The place was removed from where either of us lives by thousands of miles.  

So it wasn't Anderson....

i think anderson as a first name is super classy without the pretentiousness that many classy names carry..

and

To a lesser degree, Andersons are indigenous all over Europe. The origin of the name is the same, and its pan- European popularity undoubtedly stems from St Andrew (who was also patron saint of Russia).

47 minutes ago, voidisyinyang said:

So it wasn't Anderson....

Not only was it not Anderson.  Just now I got curious about how common that name is in the US.  According to google, it's even less common than I expected -- much less.  

At its most represented, in 1880, there were 6 families by that name living in Iowa. This was about 46% of all occurrences of that name ever recorded in the USA.

Weird...   

I'm very boring and find almost everyone else's stories fascinating, and often wonder why my life isn't as amazing/colorful/eventful as everyone else. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

I notice that this is not uncommon for certain kinds of people involved in the Art. Happens to me often too that people want to cause a ruckus because they feel like it with me, and a couple other friends too. We have yet to isolate the energetic signature behind it, but it’s really not ideal.

One was really weird;  I am walking through a shopping complex and I see these people ahead of me, they are talking and two of them seem to be 'looking after' an obviously disabled guy, but not paying attention to him as they distracted by the others conversation. I immediately notice something strange about this guy, his skin is an unusual colour, a brown copper colour, slanted near Asian type eyes, but green coloured , bronze/ light brown straight  hair   , he has unusual features, pointed chin, nose, high cheek bones and pointed tops of ears  and obvious physical and mental disabilities .

One glance at him and I am thinking ' My God, he looks like a goblin or a changeling or something ! '

https://www.britannica.com/art/changeling-folklore

As soon as I thought that, he looks up and glares at me hatefully ... urk !  So I steer a wide path around them, but as I pass he breaks loose and lunges at me ....  yelling in strange unformed words and spastic movements  flailing at me .  As I said, I did the most gentle aikido ever and 'folded' his arms on his chest, turned him around patted him on the back and delivered him to his now shocked and rushing forward carers, who nabbed him but he is struggling against them and still trying to get at me  . They where freaked out  " Oh, we are so sorry, he had never done anything like that before ! "

:blink:

I seem to have the opposite dynamic with normal   human babies  though   .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Symph said:

Oh ok Drew, gets a coon five right out the gate eh??  YOU ARE MY NEMESIS NOW.  

Evil_Ash's_angry_stare.jpg

lolololol

Drew is  special ... he been here longer than you  .... and

Spoiler

he can give a racoon an orgasm from a distance

Spoiler

:)   inside daobums joke

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, dwai said:

I'm very boring and find almost everyone else's stories fascinating, and often wonder why my life isn't as amazing/colorful/eventful as everyone else. 

Here's a poem for you (I knew it since childhood and found a translation online):

There are no boring people in this world.
Each fate is like the history of a planet.
And no two planets are alike at all.
Each is distinct – you simply can’t compare it.

If someone lived without attracting notice
and made a friend of their obscurity –
then their uniqueness was precisely this.
Their very plainness made them interesting.

Each person has a world that’s all their own.
Each of those worlds must have its finest moment
and each must have its hour of bitter torment –
and yet, to us, both hours remain unknown.

When people die, they do not die alone.
They die along with their first kiss, first combat.
They take away their first day in the snow …
All gone, all gone – there’s just no way to stop it.

There may be much that’s fated to remain,
but something – something leaves us all the same.
The rules are cruel, the game nightmarish –
it isn’t people but whole worlds that perish.

-- Yevgeny Yevtushenko (translated by Boris Dralyuk)

• Like 4

I hung out with Michael Jackson for a week at a resort in Miami when we were both 13 years old...

Our families were staying at the Playboy Club Hotel and we were the only kids there so we were stuck together :lol:

Spoiler

36604D0400000578-3707144-image-a-5_14694

• Like 4

OK,OK,OK..... Prize time, since some folks requested it.

For this heart warming story about giving back a teddy-bear to his friend in the retreat, I hereby nominate member Liminal Luke with the most tenderness weirdness award. This comes with a glow in a dark raccoon, so you can always find your raccoon, just like your friend.

81018LKbzlL._SL1500_.jpg

And for her relentless posting in this thread, and wide variety of subjects covered, I hereby nominate member TaoMeow with the most eclectic in terms of weirdness award. This is a highly distinguished award, and comes with a scratch and sniff raccoon sticker.

Scratch and smell

61x6hElbFkL._AC_UL320_SR288,320_.jpg

However, this is so rare and powerful a gift, I need to run this by Sean first for approval.

Hey Sean,

This is 100% legit, non-GMO, no animal-testing, and lavender proof. Let me know if you concur and TaoMeow could smell her hard earned prize?

Thanks,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Here's a poem for you (I knew it since childhood and found a translation online):

There are no boring people in this world.
Each fate is like the history of a planet.
And no two planets are alike at all.
Each is distinct – you simply can’t compare it.

If someone lived without attracting notice
and made a friend of their obscurity –
then their uniqueness was precisely this.
Their very plainness made them interesting.

Each person has a world that’s all their own.
Each of those worlds must have its finest moment
and each must have its hour of bitter torment –
and yet, to us, both hours remain unknown.

When people die, they do not die alone.
They die along with their first kiss, first combat.
They take away their first day in the snow …
All gone, all gone – there’s just no way to stop it.

There may be much that’s fated to remain,
but something – something leaves us all the same.
The rules are cruel, the game nightmarish –
it isn’t people but whole worlds that perish.

-- Yevgeny Yevtushenko (translated by Boris Dralyuk)

Wonderful !

" Remember that this earth is but an atom in the universe, and that thou thyself art but an atom thereon, and that even couldst thou become the God of this earth whereon thou crawlest and grovellest, that thou wouldest, even then, be but an atom, and one amongst many..... Nevertheless have the greatest self-respect, and to that end sin not against thyself "

... for although a myriad beings may exist throughout  the Universe,  YOU are a unique and special being - one of a kind .   Ther has been, is and will only ever be one   dwai ....  Taomeow ....  Nungali ..... 

81qfFRoIJDL.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nungali said:

But is it a left wing or right wing racoon .... there is the crux !

This raccoon is asexual and apolitical. It is friendly and fits in well with any group of raccoons.

• Like 2

When I was in the middle of my last middle school year our sport teacher was absent one day. With a bunch of buddies we reunited at a friend place.

8 AM, we each rolled a joint that we smoke helped in this task with plastic bottles (cheap yet powerful bong).

This knocked us out...! On the 4 of us 3 was sick but we went to school anyway... to pass the math test :lol:

Well, not... none of us passed the test. Actually 4 guys were sleeping on their tables... and when the ring bell I rose up and puked on the floor.

That's one of my wired stories and maybe surprisingly, not a bad memory !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like to try weird food combos, like peanut butter and pork rinds pizza, or sauerkraut on dark chocolate. And it’s not just for shock value. These are actual culinary discoveries!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Nintendao said:

I like to try weird food combos, like peanut butter and pork rinds pizza, or sauerkraut on dark chocolate. And it’s not just for shock value. These are actual culinary discoveries!

Check out Mother's Cookbook, a game based on the cuisine of the Mother series, or rather EarthBound. It's fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Check out Mother's Cookbook, a game based on the cuisine of the Mother series, or rather EarthBound. It's fantastic.

Nice! They knocked it out of the park with the hand made scrapbook style, too.

i might have to draw the line at trout yogurt. Although... 🤔 *adds yogurt and fish sticks to shopping list*

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Nintendao said:

Nice! They knocked it out of the park with the hand made scrapbook style, too.

i might have to draw the line at trout yogurt. Although... 🤔 *adds yogurt and fish sticks to shopping list*

I have a digital and physical copy of the book. If you want to digitally borrow it (that is use it but promise to support the team by buying your own copy eventually), I can share it. 

• Like 1

Todays weird fact about me   -   that many people I know  think is weird but peeps on DBs  here probably do not    :D 

This morning I will go to the river side park in town and meet with other/s and attempt to hit each other with poles, oars, little tridents and rice harvesting sickles . ... and then jump in the river

Spoiler

Its such a nice spot to train , I will post a pic of it ;

grassy patch on the left  between the trees

de7b0528b2ca1d575b90e3a34381f9d4_-new-so

looking upstream the other way ;

b45a8d7e830a857bea3b047fffa61811_-new-so

bellingen.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

This morning I will go to the river side park

Nungali..... Mr Bacon...... You keep posting in this thread. But I think it's time to face the music. You know this is a spiritual forum right ? How are you going to grow spiritually if you keep posting about weird stuff ? One of you is even posting about trout yogurt for god's sake....

So time to face your shadow man. Enough games. What scares you the most ? Let me materialize an image for you, don't freak out, but look at it, and see if you can come out the other end stronger than when you entered.

Exactly.... what if you lost the bacon.... And become just Mr. Then what are you going to do ? Can you still live with yourself ?

Something to think about.... I know I will.

raccoon_bacon.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Nungali..... Mr Bacon...... You keep posting in this thread.

Ahem  .....   Doctor  Bacon  !  But those days are long gone , I am 'Bacon retired' .  From now on, its up to my relatives;

Francis Bacon

francis-bacon.jpg

... and Francis Bacon

300px-Francis_Bacon_by_John_Dekin.jpg

....  the XXVII th .

But I think it's time to face the music

Oh goody !    I'll give it a go   <warms up fingers >

and a one and a  two and a ...

. You know this is a spiritual forum right ?

NO WAY !    Now ... Its a spiritual forum ... LEFT !

How are you going to grow spiritually if you keep posting about weird stuff ? One of you is even posting about trout yogurt for god's sake....

Kilgore Trout yoghurt    ... and 

Hat bandana Graham cracker jackhammer
In a nail file suit your self service man
The world's my oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum
Autographed pictures of Shakespeare fishing gear
Head phone Madison Square garden hose

Cannibal dog house plan B happy
As a lark's tongue in cheek bone china doll
Don't ask Y2 cake and eat it too
Nothing lasts for evergreen thumbscrew
The world's my oyster soup kitchen door frame by frame

t ?

So time to face your shadow man. Enough games. What scares you the most ?

Let me materialize an image for you, don't freak out, but look at it, and see if you can come out the other end stronger than when you entered.

Exactly.... what if you lost the bacon.... And become just Mr. Then what are you going to do ? Can you still live with yourself ?

See the first comment  ^

Something to think about.... I know I will.

raccoon_bacon.jpg

We dont have racoons here . ...    ?    what !      Wrong spelling ???  lets see

Racoon      < right >   Racoons   ... wrong ! ?

Raccoons   ... right  .

What !      

Hmmm ... anyway , we do have 'ringies'  

56016e2916127a6abf94b2b9d40fe36a.jpg

(ring tail possum )  ... and they will take off with ... 

We had a 'do here'  people from the city are sitting on my verandah about to cut a cake and eat it . Possum appears  and they are all ;

"Oh, look at the cute little possum, look how tame he is ... gosh he is coming right up to us ..."

< pause   .... nabs cake and legs it >

"  Oi  !  "

:D 

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 4