dwai

Light is Pure Awareness

25 minutes ago, Bindi said:

In the Gheranda Samhitā (Verses 28-30) it is written:

“The Sun is in the navel and the moon in the head. The nectar that comes from the moon is consumed by the sun, and the life force is gradually used up in this way.”

Hide contents

Here the moon stands for the Bindu Chakra and the sun for the Manipūra Chakra. Because the nectar from the Bindu Chakra is constantly being destroyed in the fire of the Manipūra Chakra our body is susceptible to illness and continues to deteriorate with advancing age.

the most outstanding effect of the Bindu Chakra is the production of AMRITA, the nectar of immortality.

...The moon is the symbol of Lord Shiva... May the light of Shiva fill our consciousness. 

https://www.chakras.net/energy-centers/bindu

To find the Bindu takes a great deal of effort and patience, after having purified the mind. While it takes great effort, it also takes great surrender. In the inner field of the subtler aspects of mind, a circle, space, pit, hole or tunnel will eventually be experienced (it doesn't matter what you call it). Eventually, the Bindu is encountered beyond that. It is approximately like the stories we hear from time to time of some person having a near-death-experience, and seeing light at the end of a tunnel. The tunnel entrance is at the chakra, the tunnel is called Brahma Nadi, and the point of light is Bindu(Recall that Bindu means point or dot, and has been likened to a mustard seed). Note that in the stories about seeing light at the end of a tunnel, the witness has not yet gone up the tunnel, merged into the point, or transcended it. It can be a bit frustrating to read about encountering the Bindu, but not be able to do it at this very moment. Until it comes, it is common to sit there in the dark, not only not finding the Bindu, but not even finding a circle or tunnel. Patience and practice are the keys, as exasperating at it may be.

http://www.swamij.com/bindu.htm

... With the awakening of the Bindu Chakra the Pineal Gland, which is connected to this centre, becomes active. This gland emits a hormone that has a “fountain of youth” influence on both body and mind. This is why the Rishis gave it the name “Amrita”, nectar of immortality. The more active the Bindu Chakra becomes, the more plentifully this precious Amrita flows. It is said in the ancient scriptures that just one concentrated drop is sufficient to make new shoots grow on a piece of dry wood, and bring the deceased back to life.

https://www.chakras.net/energy-centers/bindu

I wonder, is this a reference to Melatonin? That's a hormone emitted by the pineal gland, and as of late, there is some evidence that it can slow down aging.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090622064807.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

I wonder, is this a reference to Melatonin? That's a hormone emitted by the pineal gland, and as of late, there is some evidence that it can slow down aging.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090622064807.htm

Maybe :) I read this  article which suggests that the pineal gland hormones generally as well as melatonin specifically appear to be responsible for longer life and good health. Perhaps the pineal gland is somehow rejuvenated via certain 'alchemical' and spiritual paths?

Edited by Bindi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In terms of Light and Dark - there are two uses of 'Dark' in mystical writing.  One is obstruction as in there being something between you are the light or perhaps living under a stone in ignorance .) If you read this from St. John of the Cross then you can see he means something else:

O guiding dark of night!
O dark of night more darling than the dawn!
O night that can unite
A lover and loved-one,
Lover and loved-one moved in unison.

So there is another 'dark' which we have to take into account.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And this from St Gregory of Nyssa

The Divine Darkness.

We arrive, then, at the darkness. At the mountain’s peak, when one has ascended to the heart of the cloud, he find himself in the darkness of night. Now all light is gone, and the cloud has become so thick that one at last sees nothing at all. In this place, where the senses cease their sensing, the soul is left to pure contemplation, ‘and there it sees God’.

• Thanks 1

But it is in the darkness that all one's fears come out to play.  That, in turn, is the root of the fear of darkness.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

But it is in the darkness that all one's fears come out to play.  That, in turn, is the root of the fear of darkness.

Just don't ... don't look under your bed.

• Like 1

61. Jesus said, "Two will recline on a couch; one will die, one will live." Salome said, "Who are you mister? You have climbed onto my couch and eaten from my table as if you are from someone." Jesus said to her, "I am the one who comes from what is whole. I was granted from the things of my Father." "I am your disciple." "For this reason I say, if one is whole, one will be filled with light, but if one is divided, one will be filled with darkness."

• Like 3

All these talks about pineal this and photon that is just tap dance around awareness. If it doesn’t exist,  nothing does...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dwai said:

All these talks about pineal this and photon that is just tap dance around awareness. If it doesn’t exist,  nothing does...

Well, from a scientific point of view (astronomy/ astro-physics) only 4% of what is thought to be the entire universe is in the manifest and is known.  That would mean that 96% of the universe is in an undefinable form of energy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stosh said:

.. Or astronomers are 96% worse at math than they think they are. 

Yes, this is a possibility.  But as I have stated, I am a skeptic and they have me pretty well convinced regarding Dark Matter and Dark Energy, both of which are unmanifest energy of some sort.

In recent years... I've noticed a growing longing for pitch dark in which to sit.

At first it started as a manner of working with my third eye, inducing open eyed visions in pitch black... and it was very effective.

I built a box just large enough to comfortably sit in, placed it in a closet, covered the window in the room, closed the closet, got in the box, pulled a blanket over the box, then sat in pitch dark with eyes open usually, inducing open eye visions and eventually just abiding in and relishing the dark, losing interest in the colorful eye play.  To increase the effect, I would use headphones as well, set to binaural beats, or solfeggio harmonic white noise, at a level just capable of drowning out the background city sounds near our home. 

What I didn't anticipate was the longing that would grow for true darkness in which to sit and simply be... no agenda, just to have a place where there is no discernible light at all in which to simply... be.  The peace that seems to emanate from this seeming lack of light.

I've often wondered what the long term effects of living in modern cities with the constant artificial light, making night as bright as dusk in most places might be on our awareness.  The constant exposure to indoor, partial spectrum light.  This question was first put in my mind by a very enlightened short film called Village of the Water Wheels by Kurosawa.  It was the final segment in his incredible film Dreams that came out around 1990.

In it, Kurosawa as a young man approaches a small village and meets an spry, centenarian sitting alongside a clear, swift flowing river who is slowly fixing a water wheel.  They have a short pleasant conversation in which the elder eventually chastises the modern way of life in one quippy exchange remarking particularly at the lack of darkness in city life... "all your lanterns and candles... you make the night as bright as day!  Who can tell a difference now?  Why all this bother to make the night like the day?"

three unanticipated side effects of praxis in recent years:

longing for darkness

craving emptiness of body/fasting

silence/lack of sound...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Therefore light is the absence of dark.

Yes ......   ' you  lot    would say that , wouldn't you   ;  

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Apech said:

Just don't ... don't look under your bed.

dragonzzz.gif~c200

So, your fear of darkness is less than the fear of  ....    dust bunnies  ? 

dust-bunny-xl.jpg?itok=kn0L_908

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Stosh said:

.. Or astronomers are 96% worse at math than they think they are. 

Or, the other way around   :) 

[ The original  theories and maths were incorrect in the first place and all this follow on , calculations and formulas and concepts  ( like 'dark matter' , multiple universes etc  ) are attempts try and make the original mistakes correct and 'make sense' . ]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Or, the other way around   :) 

[ The original  theories and maths were incorrect in the first place and all this follow on , calculations and formulas and concepts  ( like 'dark matter' , multiple universes etc  ) are attempts try and make the original mistakes correct and 'make sense' . ]

Yes, but at least they are admitting that they do not know.  That's a start.

A static universe theory does not work.

The physics of the universe, as currently understood, do not work unless they theorize Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

Perhaps their laws of physics are outdated and incorrect?  After all, the current universal laws of physics break down when passing beyond the event horizon of a Black Hole.

And one cannot see any light in a Black Hole but there surely is lots of energy in there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dwai said:

There is no physics without awareness 

True.  The only question then is:  "Is what we have become aware of being reflected to us with an unblemished mirror?"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

True.  The only question then is:  "Is what we have become aware of being reflected to us with an unblemished mirror?"

That, Dear Sir, is a priceless question.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Nice one!  Hardly seems possible.  Even the nature of seeing is imbued with inaccuracy and delay.

Objects are all reflected light before even entering our eyes.  And source light (sun/stars) still gets reflected within the eye itself.  

Then the added caveat that we see the past when we use our eyes.  There is a distinct delay in what reaches our eyes, and then is filtered and interpreted and experienced as a sensation.  Couple that with the fact that the colors we observe objects to be, are only the colors that the object can't absorb and so in addition to our sight always being a little delayed, it's also only perceiving the color the objects are not.

This always obsessively sticks in my craw as important... thankfully, eventually I tire of not finding an answer and accept ignorance as bliss on the subject. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, but at least they are admitting that they do not know.  That's a start.

A static universe theory does not work.

The physics of the universe, as currently understood, do not work unless they theorize Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

or, to put it the other way around   unless  DM and DE are postulated the current theory of the Universe does not work  :) 

" Many scientists have also pointed out that the known properties of dark energy are consistent with a cosmological constant, a mathematical Band-Aid that Albert Einstein added to his theory of general relativity to make his equations fit with the notion of a static universe  .....     Other scientists think the effects of dark matter could be explained by fundamentally modifying our theories of gravity.

"Unlike for dark matter, scientists have no plausible explanation for dark energy. According to one idea, dark energy is a fifth and previously unknown type of fundamental force called quintessence, which fills the universe like a fluid. "

So, now we are back to the 'hermetic Model'  :) 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/dark-matter/

A new model based on the scale invariance of empty space

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-dark-energy.html#jCp

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Perhaps their laws of physics are outdated and incorrect?  After all, the current universal laws of physics break down when passing beyond the event horizon of a Black Hole.

And one cannot see any light in a Black Hole but there surely is lots of energy in there.

There is light in a black hole ... its just travelling away from you and not towards you     ;) 

***Mod Team Notice***

@voidisyinyang was warned by a moderator to stop spamming this thread earlier.  He has disregarded and continued to post large messages that are not related to the topic.

The OP @dwai has requested the mod team to move voidisyinyang's posts to a separate thread.  I am hiding all the posts made by voidisyinyang in this topic and few others related to this move.  All posts made by voidisyinyang will be split into a separate thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Aw bugger,  I know voids posts can be a bit jarring and overbearing at times but hoped they wouldn't get swatted out as several brought up some key points for me, regarding the interplay of sound and light, silence and darkness as well as a new term pratyahara and the withdrawing of the senses, that directly relates to the development of several anti-cravings I've developed along the path of my practice.

Post a link to the new thread here so we may find those as well when this all sorts out?

I'm still rebounding and chewing on the notion that we cannot perceive light as it is in this instant, this moment, but only as it was prior to our interpreting and processing it visually.  Always a step behind so to speak.  Perhaps this is why so much emphasis is placed on going within in spiritual pursuits of realization... pratyahara, darkness, silence, stillness... withdrawing the sensory which is by its very nature innacurate, toward the unsensory, which by comparison is more accurate? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Aw bugger,  I know voids posts can be a bit jarring and overbearing at times but hoped they wouldn't get swatted out as several brought up some key points for me, regarding the interplay of sound and light, silence and darkness as well as a new term pratyahara and the withdrawing of the senses, that directly relates to the development of several anti-cravings I've developed along the path of my practice.

Post a link to the new thread here so we may find those as well when this all sorts out?

I'm still rebounding and chewing on the notion that we cannot perceive light as it is in this instant, this moment, but only as it was prior to our interpreting and processing it visually.  Always a step behind so to speak.  Perhaps this is why so much emphasis is placed on going within in spiritual pursuits of realization... pratyahara, darkness, silence, stillness... withdrawing the sensory which is by its very nature innacurate, toward the unsensory, which by comparison is more accurate? 

Here is the new split thread to all voidisyinyang's posts made on this topic.  I found some interesting information in some posts also.  But, there are 33 posts and some of them huge and most of it are not on topic.  So I have to respect the OP's wishes and split them out.  Best wishes - Siva.

• Like 2