liminal_luke

Losing Members

I remember this from working with bio-dynamics;  they use about  6 or 7 different Moon cycles (some of the ones you mentioned plus other, like the Moon opposition Saturn cycle )  *  .  I read a mention,  not to do any type of agriculture , creative or destructive works, no gardening / agricultural work of ANY type when the Moon is crossing the ecliptic.   I looked into it and it is also a tradition in many places; including S.E. Asia  (where 'astrological agriculture' is practiced. 

So I started noting it on my Bio-Dynamic (that shows all these Moon cycles and associated practices ) .... on the  next one coming up, there  ended up being a massive tidal wave in Indonesia, the next one an earthquake somewhere else ... and so on. But I could never figure how to work out the location of where it might happen.

Cool!

Yeah, once we start factoring in how the rest of the moving parts of the solar system weigh in their influences, things get complicated very quickly.

I used to try to keep track of all that, but these days I try to just keep track of myself. Hence not realizing it was eclipse season, though boy were things getting transformative!

• Like 1

That close fit is an interesting coincidence, isn't it? Hasn't always been that way and won't always be that way but it does make for some magnificent astromechanical phenomena!

It isn't perhaps as interesting from an astronomical point of view as from an historical one. When the moon was much closer there was no human life on Earth, when it gets much further away we don't yet know how that will impact human existence. So it's coincidental isn't quite so coincidental, but of necessity. It is there and because it is there we can be here and observe it being there.

Hypocrisy?  Oh probably.  I´m a mess of contradictions and my actions don´t always match my stated ideals, I´ll be the first to admit.  

Arrogance?  I don´t think so.  In my real life people don´t see me as arrogant.  I´m more forceful and opinionated online though than in person, so perhaps I come off that way?  If anybody wants to share feedback in this regard I am open to it.  (Though it would be better through PM if you´ve got something really negative to say :glare: .)

Do I owe you an apology Karl?

No, not at all, it was only a reflection on your observation that no one apologised to you because they lacked humility. I don't expect apologies, so, for me the entire illusion of humility being important is laughable. I think if someone tries to stab me then they had reason to do so, I don't know what that reason is, but I know that if they acted dishonourably, that the action is not without reaction. That is to say, if their aim is true and noble I don't feel the cut, it is well played and therefore I cheer; if it is not honourably done and poorly aimed then it is they who feel the pain.

I think this is the same with martial arts. No one minds a well aimed, pure, punch, but a badly aimed dirty punch is a ricochet landing in the mind and body of the betrayer. Why compound the pain of an opponent by wishing a few poor words, unless your need and your attitude is just as slovernly and corrupt. A bad opponent should apologise to themselves for the damage to their own integrity and pride from being so dishonest.

So, it tells a story about your own unease with yourself than it does about your opponents humility, or lack of. Use it as a lesson, or ignore it, it's you who ultimately pay any costs. I would cite it as Karma, but not in the sense others mean it.

• Like 1

The Daobums has always been losing a few great members, and gaining new ones.

I don't know why people choose to permanently leave. If you're interested in the type of information here, then there is every reason to stick around.

It easily turns onto procrastination...

Lot of trash anyway

Too big to quickly find the informations you want

Bad interactions

And on the other side, the opposite

Lot of things comming form the heart

An area of discussion

Good interactions.

People entering, leaving,

You know what ? it looks like the life of a living community. 

Edited by CloudHands
  • Like 5

No, not at all, it was only a reflection on your observation that no one apologised to you because they lacked humility. 

You read me all wrong, Karl.  Perhaps I wasn´t clear.  I don´t expect an apology, from you or anybody else on the board.  (Waiting around with that kind of expectation would tie up a lot of psychic energy, and whose got the time?)  My comment was a general one: that the kind of person who has the humility to apologize -- to anybody, for anything -- wouldn´t be likely to be a bothersome presence here.  

It wasn´t at all about anybody apologizing or not apologizing to me personally.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

The word bothersome bothers you?

Me, I´ve never made any claim to be among the enlightened, the detached, the peacefully cherubic.  Maybe someday, we´ll see.  As it is I´m often annoyed, irritated, and occasionally bothered.  Even, sometimes, by you.  No need to point out how this all reflects poorly on my degree of comfort in my own skin or whatever; rest assured, I´m working on it. 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Luke said nothing remotely bothersome in that statement.

Except maybe to those who view themselves as 'bothersome' and made a wrong asumption, heh.

• Like 3

The word bothersome bothers you?

Me, I´ve never made any claim to be among the enlightened, the detached, the peacefully cherubic. Maybe someday, we´ll see. As it is I´m often annoyed, irritated, and occasionally bothered. Even, sometimes, by you. No need to point out how this all reflects poorly on my degree of comfort in my own skin or whatever; rest assured, I´m working on it.

Why not start by abandoning the repetition of your original statement ? That would be a good start. Apologists are either bullies who want to get away with their violations, people that are in the grip of emotional whim and are always apologising because they can't control themselves, or people that hold no firm comittment to their own principles and are attempting to gain peer acceptance.

The second can be excused as mentally unstable, the first is a thug that doesn't mean it, the third is lacking integrity, honesty and pride. To the third we can add that he is of course naturally humble, because grovellers need to be, then he isn't to be trusted as he is always looking for a new master and has no loyalty beyond that.

Don't rate the apologist LD, they are either slightly crazy, bad to know, or totally untrustworthy. After many years of experience I find that to be not just philosophically sound, but empirically so.

Edited by Karl

Why not start by abandoning the repetition of your original statement ? That would be a good start. Apologists are either bullies who want to get away with their violations, people that are in the grip of emotional whim and are always apologising because they can't control themselves, or people that hold no firm comittment to their own principles and are attempting to gain peer acceptance.

The second can be excused as mentally unstable, the first is a thug that doesn't mean it, the third is lacking integrity, honesty and pride. To the third we can add that he is of course naturally humble, because grovellers need to be, then he isn't to be trusted as he is always looking for a new master and has no loyalty beyond that.

Don't rate the apologist LD, they are either slightly crazy, bad to know, or totally untrustworthy. After many years of experience I find that to be not just philosophically sound, but empirically so.

I quoted your post and took the liberty of bolding all the statements in which you attack my character. At least I´m in good company: here´s a quote from another thread in which you attack Brian´s character.

Karl said...

"It is you that stand by faith over reason Brian. Using a personal history that I willingly shared to bolster an argument is weak, a betrayal of your own integrity and that will definitely sting. Let that be your guide." 

So what´s up with this?  I´m sure that if I wanted to go back through the history of your posts I could find many more examples.  You habitually have negative things to say about others -- the question is why.  Now you´re a smart guy, Karl.  You know what you´re doing.  You might claim to be trying to help, just pointing out the flaws of your fellow bums so they can better themseles.  Well I don´t buy it.  I think you deliberately set out to hurt people.

That last statement is the crux of my post and it bears repeating: you deliberately set out to hurt people.  I say this not because I think it will have any effect on you whatsoever.  I´m sure it won´t.  I say this as a warning to my fellow bums who might inadvertantly stumble into your trap.

You know how sometimes on highways there are signs alerting drivers to potential hazards.  This post is such a sign.  Falling rocks. High winds. Dangerous curves ahead.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Are we losing members?  Could it be that we bicker over the meaning of bothersome too much :)

• Like 5

Are we losing members?  Could it be that we bicker over the meaning of bothersome too much :)

Yes, it is very bothersome to me that we do... :)

It isn't perhaps as interesting from an astronomical point of view as from an historical one. When the moon was much closer there was no human life on Earth, when it gets much further away we don't yet know how that will impact human existence. So it's coincidental isn't quite so coincidental, but of necessity. It is there and because it is there we can be here and observe it being there.

Personally, I would be interested in the train of logic & reason which leads you to believe that human life on Earth is conditioned upon the approximate congruence of the angles subtended by the solar and lunar discs when viewed from the planet's surface.
  • Like 1

Personally, I would be interested in the train of logic & reason which leads you to believe that human life on Earth is conditioned upon the approximate congruence of the angles subtended by the solar and lunar discs when viewed from the planet's surface.

We are here it is there. If it were significantly closer the world would be spinning more quickly and the tidal forces/volcanic activity far greater. If it were further away isn't something I give much thought to, perhaps the Earth tilted/wobbled at an angle that creates ice sheets across the entire globe, or without the protection of a large mass the Earth would fall pray to far more meteors and comets.

I don't think that the actual position is significant, only that if it was not in that position would we be here ? It's intereresting from that view point.

I quoted your post and took the liberty of bolding all the statements in which you attack my character. At least I´m in good company: here´s a quote from another thread in which you attack Brian´s character.

Karl said...

"It is you that stand by faith over reason Brian. Using a personal history that I willingly shared to bolster an argument is weak, a betrayal of your own integrity and that will definitely sting. Let that be your guide."

So what´s up with this? I´m sure that if I wanted to go back through the history of your posts I could find many more examples. You habitually have negative things to say about others -- the question is why. Now you´re a smart guy, Karl. You know what you´re doing. You might claim to be trying to help, just pointing out the flaws of your fellow bums so they can better themseles. Well I don´t buy it. I think you deliberately set out to hurt people.

That last statement is the crux of my post and it bears repeating: you deliberately set out to hurt people. I say this not because I think it will have any effect on you whatsoever. I´m sure it won´t. I say this as a warning to my fellow bums who might inadvertantly stumble into your trap.

You know how sometimes on highways there are signs alerting drivers to potential hazards. This post is such a sign. Falling rocks. High winds. Dangerous curves ahead.

You think whatever you wish to think. I point out the flaws in their communications with me, I cannot point out flaws that I'm unaware of. We sit at a table and play cards, you start cheating, or pull out a weapon and I will challenge you. I expect no less from anyone else. If you think I'm cheating, or out to 'hurt' anyone then prove it. Your attempts to hook someone else into your defence should be something for you to ponder. Edited by Karl

We are here it is there. If it were significantly closer the world would be spinning more quickly and the tidal forces/volcanic activity far greater. If it were further away isn't something I give much thought to, perhaps the Earth tilted/wobbled at an angle that creates ice sheets across the entire globe, or without the protection of a large mass the Earth would fall pray to far more meteors and comets.

I don't think that the actual position is significant, only that if it was not in that position would we be here ? It's intereresting from that view point.

You believe the Earth's angular velocity is a function of the moon's distance?
  • Like 1

You believe the Earth's angular velocity is a function of the moon's distance?

I believe the moon is made of green cheese. ;-) I gave you a non scientific answer and I doubt I'm up to going head to head with you over an answer I'm not looking to defend. All you want is a fight that you can win, but I'm not even in the arena. I mumbled something from the back rows of the spectators. Now I'm tucking into a juicy burger with a fattening coke.

You think whatever you wish to think. I point out the flaws in their communications with me, I cannot point out flaws that I'm unaware of. We sit at a table and play cards, you start cheating, or pull out a weapon and I will challenge you. I expect no less from anyone else. If you think I'm cheating, or out to 'hurt' anyone then prove it. Your attempts to hook someone else into your defence should be something for you to ponder.

I can´t prove anything.  But I can -- and did -- demonstrate a pattern.  It´s a pattern you´ve chosen to continue in this last sentence of your reply to me: implying that there´s something wrong with me and that I should "ponder" what that is.  I expect you´ll reply back to this post with a post of your own telling me that I¨m wrong and how that wrongness reflects on me as a person.  If you´re true to form you´ll conclude by asking me to complemplate my badness.  

Out of courtesy to the other Bums (who I suspect are weary of this exchange), I will refrain from replying back. 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

I believe the moon is made of green cheese. ;-) I gave you a non scientific answer and I doubt I'm up to going head to head with you over an answer I'm not looking to defend. All you want is a fight that you can win, but I'm not even in the arena. I mumbled something from the back rows of the spectators. Now I'm tucking into a juicy burger with a fattening coke.

I remembered you being an amateur astronomer and I thought that perhaps this might be an opportunity for you to demonstrate a practical application of either zero-order logic or objectives, since you believe they are complete and self-sufficient. You weren't willing to engage your reasoning skills in the "gravity" thread or to follow through with the challenge you issued regarding playing devil's advocate so I thought perhaps this might be a field you might give a try.

My bad.

• Like 1

I remembered you being an amateur astronomer and I thought that perhaps this might be an opportunity for you to demonstrate a practical application of either zero-order logic or objectives, since you believe they are complete and self-sufficient. You weren't willing to engage your reasoning skills in the "gravity" thread or to follow through with the challenge you issued regarding playing devil's advocate so I thought perhaps this might be a field you might give a try.

My bad.

LOL :-) I enjoyed the gravity thread, I now think of gravity made up of eels that exert force in a given direction and like each other's company. I am an amateur observer not an Astro physicist. I like to look, not to calculate, it's too hard for me, I just find out where the object is I want to look at then go hunting amongst the night sky for it. It's like fishing for nerds.

• Like 2