liminal_luke

Losing Members

LOL :-) I enjoyed the gravity thread, I now think of gravity made up of eels that exert force in a given direction and like each other's company. I am an amateur observer not an Astro physicist. I like to look, not to calculate, it's too hard for me, I just find out where the object is I want to look at then go hunting amongst the night sky for it. It's like fishing for nerds.

:)

Fair enough! EDIT: And I'll stop pulling your chain for a while, too.

For what it's worth, the moon is drifting away from the Earth at a rate of approximately an inch & a half a year.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

:)

Fair enough! EDIT: And I'll stop pulling your chain for a while, too.

For what it's worth, the moon is drifting away from the Earth at a rate of approximately an inch & a half a year.

I know, it's quite a thought that one day there will be an Earth with a moon so far away it will look like one of the other planets. That's why I queried if at that time there would be anyone around to see it.

I know, it's quite a thought that one day there will be an Earth with a moon so far away it will look like one of the other planets. That's why I queried if at that time there would be anyone around to see it.

Ummm... No, you didn't query if anyone would be around later, you said "because it is there we can be here" -- those are vastly different statements and I questioned the logic behind it.

You believe the Earth's angular velocity is a function of the moon's distance?

I have heard a few theoretical physicists suggest that if we did not have our moon, the size it is and the distance it is from Earth it is very possible that there would be no complex life on Earth.

In my mind that sounds logical.

• Like 1

Ummm... No, you didn't query if anyone would be around later, you said "because it is there we can be here" -- those are vastly different statements and I questioned the logic behind it.

We are here and the moon is there. I don't know if there is a correlation I stated a fact that's all and then added the possibility that if it were anywhere else but where it is at this moment, would we exist.

I'm probably still explaining it in a crooked way.

I mean here we are with the disc of the moon just covering the disc of the Sun which, in terms of the cosmos doesn't mean anything in particular-probably. Maybe it does ? Something could be about space/time/gravity/mass ?

I have heard a few theoretical physicists suggest that if we did not have our moon, the size it is and the distance it is from Earth it is very possible that there would be no complex life on Earth.

It would be an interesting topic for a thread of its own!
  • Like 2

We are here and the moon is there. I don't know if there is a correlation I stated a fact that's all and then added the possibility that if it were anywhere else but where it is at this moment, would we exist.

I'm probably still explaining it in a crooked way.

I mean here we are with the disc of the moon just covering the disc of the Sun which, in terms of the cosmos doesn't mean anything in particular-probably. Maybe it does ? Something could be about space/time/gravity/mass ?

"Because A then B" is not just correlation but causation, and a particularly bothersome one since A isn't really correct in the first place. A reasonably close approximation which allows us to observe some interesting phenomena, though! Personally, I quite enjoy the illusion.

Luke said nothing remotely bothersome in that statement.

That is of no consequence  .... when Karl is fishing  

Why not start by abandoning the repetition of your original statement ? That would be a good start. Apologists are either bullies who want to get away with their violations, people that are in the grip of emotional whim and are always apologising because they can't control themselves, or people that hold no firm comittment to their own principles and are attempting to gain peer acceptance.

The second can be excused as mentally unstable, the first is a thug that doesn't mean it, the third is lacking integrity, honesty and pride. To the third we can add that he is of course naturally humble, because grovellers need to be, then he isn't to be trusted as he is always looking for a new master and has no loyalty beyond that.

Don't rate the apologist LD, they are either slightly crazy, bad to know, or totally untrustworthy. After many years of experience I find that to be not just philosophically sound, but empirically so.

Karl ... I would like to take this opportunity to send  deeply apologies to you for any perceived anything that you may have been offended by

...   come 'ere bro   .... come on  .... 

3716366-2070523549-tumbl.gif

• Like 1

I quoted your post and took the liberty of bolding all the statements in which you attack my character. At least I´m in good company: here´s a quote from another thread in which you attack Brian´s character.

Karl said...

"It is you that stand by faith over reason Brian. Using a personal history that I willingly shared to bolster an argument is weak, a betrayal of your own integrity and that will definitely sting. Let that be your guide." 

So what´s up with this?  I´m sure that if I wanted to go back through the history of your posts I could find many more examples.  You habitually have negative things to say about others -- the question is why.  Now you´re a smart guy, Karl.  You know what you´re doing.  You might claim to be trying to help, just pointing out the flaws of your fellow bums so they can better themseles.  Well I don´t buy it.  I think you deliberately set out to hurt people.

That isnt his main motivation though. One can detect it by tracking his tactics , I am not sure whether they are deliberate or unconscious.  One of his main ones is to assume what the other means and then run off on a tirade against that, which is actually his own creation or misinterpretation in the first place.

Then there is the immense ego, so big that he himself openly admitted in a thread he does not need to actually read all of a post or the rest of a conversation ... he just 'knows where it will go ' , jumps ahead in assumption and starts criticizing what he imagined    When that was pointed out he got all childishly angry and insulting ...  but that just amuses me further   :D 

Actually, he made such a mess of trouncing me  and exposing himself, he no longer seems to want to 'chat' with me anymore   ... but instead prowls the boards for other he can 'trounce' to show and 'prove' the superiority of his position.

Then accused me of scaring people away from DBs   !    :D    

...   I haven't read beyond the post I quoted here yet ... but I guess by the time this appears in the thread  Karl will be 'all over this '   :) 

That last statement is the crux of my post and it bears repeating: you deliberately set out to hurt people.  I say this not because I think it will have any effect on you whatsoever.  I´m sure it won´t.  I say this as a warning to my fellow bums who might inadvertantly stumble into your trap.

I will admit there are some here that might be offended , but I wonder why those that claim some type of advancement or even superiority  get so effected by a few silly insults ?   However I can understand why other types get angry at 'being exposed'   .

You know how sometimes on highways there are signs alerting drivers to potential hazards.  This post is such a sign.  Falling rocks. High winds. Dangerous curves ahead.

Warning ! 

Karl ahead ;

twOh3Tn.jpg

• Like 3

Personally, I would be interested in the train of logic & reason which leads you to believe that human life on Earth is conditioned upon the approximate congruence of the angles subtended by the solar and lunar discs when viewed from the planet's surface.

• Like 1

N

I believe the moon is made of green cheese. ;-) I gave you a non scientific answer and I doubt I'm up to going head to head with you over an answer I'm not looking to defend. All you want is a fight that you can win, but I'm not even in the arena. I mumbled something from the back rows of the spectators. Now I'm tucking into a juicy burger with a fattening coke.

Nah ... you walk to the front and make a statement , when you are challenged on that ,,, thats when you run to the back 'for a coke' 

... now, excuse me, I am off ....     I need a burger . 

I remembered you being an amateur astronomer and I thought that perhaps this might be an opportunity for you to demonstrate a practical application of either zero-order logic or objectives, since you believe they are complete and self-sufficient. You weren't willing to engage your reasoning skills in the "gravity" thread or to follow through with the challenge you issued regarding playing devil's advocate so I thought perhaps this might be a field you might give a try.

My bad.

Look Brian ,,, stop being unfair and a bully okay ... they guy had to run off for burger and coke  ....   

lol_ricky_gervais.gif

• Like 1

Nungali,

Yeah, it´s good to remember this is just an internet forum, not to take it so seriously.  Karl has a very skillful way of keeping me engaged with BS. (Perhaps it´s the NLP?)  Of course from a more evolved spiritual point of view that just shows me where I have more work to do...blah, blah, blah.  I should probably thank him.  Nah...

yes ... we will be able to see it from the Mars settlement     ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot to list that one ;

' rephrases what he said earlier when the argument gets difficult ' 

Edited by Nungali

yeah but .... 

If my dad had not winked at my mom at that dance in 1940 something ....   you wouldnt have had me here ,

yes, I can hear you wailing about that potential  tragedy from down here ! 

• Like 1

<allow me to edit and shorten for readability>

My strategy for avoiding arguments hold on, I'll come up with the right word.. .. people.. is to only look at and post to the troublesome thread only once a day.  Thereby not getting entwined in tit for tat garbage arguments.  Matter of fact after a day or so, they're so inconsequential I either forget about them or they've drifted in some new direction so that a reply no longer makes sense. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

My strategy for dealing with .. with.. hold on, I'll come up with the right word.. .. people.. is to only look at and post to the troublesome thread only once a day. Thereby not getting entwined in tit for tat garbage arguments. Matter of fact after a day or so, they're so inconsequential I either forget about them or they've drifted in some new direction so that a reply no longer makes sense.

I've been told my posts often make no sense, so...
  • Like 1

only to some Brian ..... one man's no sense is another man's ambrosia 

but still,  a post has to make sense now  ?        I dont like the sound of this new development    :angry:

• Like 4