lessdaomorebum

I would like to delete my account

I find my fellow Bums exasperating, fascinating, enlightening, erudite, and -- often -- annoying as hell.  Come to think of it, that pretty much sums up my opinion of people in general.  There´s no escape, my friend.  No escape.

Give me a delete button, and I will click!

Why?

"Love thy neighbor, but choose your neighborhood!"

• Like 4

I don't believe in destiny, fate, predestination, karma, or anything else like that. Perhaps I am a fool.

Welcome to the club.

• Like 1

Aetherous, reading what Cheya pointed out about your misreading of 小夢想's post, I think you too will be in Mrs. Jones' class :P

I probably should be, as I still don't think I misread it, and don't even know who Mrs. Jones is...

I feel your pain.

Despite the huge amount of people on here who know everything and speak as if experts after having read a few books and doing a set of exercises for 6 months, you can find some useful information every now and again.

It's not anyone fault really if they have not experienced the real thing. And unfortunately so many books are just so wrong. People are doing exercises that cause damage, thinking they are making progress. 

Very well said! :)

This is one of the main problems of Internet forums and Internet itself which despite its wonderful and helpful nature is often used as a mere platform of egotism.

Facebook? Horrorbook in many instances. :)

• Like 3

Like my two teachers told me once:

Edward Kooij...Buddhist Vipassana formal meditation teacher in Wat Chom Tong Thailand. Do no bring any Buddhist books to our temple. We practice real meditation in this place and in silence. You are only to speak to your appointed teacher solely with the purpose of your meditation progress. This is real Buddhist practice not books or the Internet, Chom Tong is a temple of the MIND. There is too much talk online and not enough practice.

Enough said, after 2 days of practice I saw two practitioners walking out of the temple because they couldn't handle meditating only for 6 hours...imagine if they had to meditate 24/7 (as required in the last 3 days)!

Geoff Sweeting...Liang Zhenpu style Ba Gua Zhang. Gerard, I will teach you the highest level of Neigong according to what my main teacher, Wang Tong taught me in Beijing who in turn learned under the direct guidance of his teacher master Li Ziming who was a student of Liang Zhenpu, the youngest student of grandmaster Dong Haichuan, who travelled all across China learning from many Buddhist and Taoist masters in the mountains.

Toss any books into the bin and practice for real, in the forest, in the park, in the montains learning from birds, trees, mountains, clouds, the moon, the sun, the ground that runs across the entire planet. These and young children are also wonderful teachers.

All the best to everyone!

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Demonstration of Fa Jing and Chi: Breaking boards, put a flame out on a candle with my fist, grab a quarter out of the palm of your hand, take your breath away with my knife hand, do internal damage with a one inch punch generated from my abdomen, sense your next offensive move and be there first...and on...and on...

None of this made me a better person. But it did help my self esteem for a while. And it did take my fear of close combat away which hasn't happened because I stay out of harms way.

• Like 2

I knew when as I was typing a response such as the above would come back. My closing of that comment was the real statement about being able to do something extraordinary. I do not understand how it is so important to be able to use ones Chi in the manner that you describe above...when working on conquering the self is the real challenge and real success story. From what I know about Daoism and the Tao Te Ching, humility and letting go is paramount.

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

I am a recently retired psychologist who started working in the field in 1973 and I have used NLP at times and have healed phobias with it in about 15 minutes. I wonder if those people who deny that it works have ever tried using it to help people?

Many people do not believe in reincarnation, yet I have helped people by doing past life therapy with them.

There was a time when most people did not believe that the Earth was round.

I just saw a poster advertising a local lecture to be given by a man who has written a book about the myth of the Holocaust. He claims it never happened. I guess my ancestors that were killed in Poland because they had the misfortune to have lived in the town that became Auschwitz may be actually alive since that author claims the Holocaust was a hoax.

I give these examples to show that the beliefs or disbeliefs of other people might not be based on direct experience or truth, but just opinion. And this is how I view this blog. Like life itself, it contains people sharing information that in some cases is based on opinion, experience and/or truth. It is my responsibility to separate the wheat from the chaff and to not throw out the baby with the bath water. I have gained much from Daobums over the years. I just wish they would go back to spelling it Taobums.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 4

Respectfully, I don't consider any one of those as a demonstration of Faqi, fajing or fagong. 

Had you said, do internal damage without making physical contact, then I would consider it Fagong. Even doing internal damage by making slight, no pressure, one finger contact would be considered fagong. (contact with pressure that would not make a dent in polystyrene)

Using any physical force does not relate to real faqi or fajing.

This is incorrect - fajing means "explosive force." It is often issued at close distance.

• Like 1

The exercises that lead to being able to refine qi and learn to control qi, enabling you to demonstrate, are simple exercises. Not secret hidden away exercises, or magical mantras, or praying to the Gods. They need to be learned from a master.

If they're simple, and not a secret, then what's the need of a master? If not secret, then why post here with any ambiguity in regard to the setting the foundations?

I will share some videos in time. Truthfully though, I am not really up for sharing videos at this point in my life. I hope my reasoning and posts are enough to make some rethink what we are taught in the west.

This seems to be a cop out, to me. All this talk of demonstrations showing that a person has achieved this basic stage, and nothing to back it up. If you're posting a video of your demonstration later, I will take your word on it, but what's the hold up?

When you challenge others, it's good to be prepared to step up to the plate, yourself. Not everyone is going to take your word on it. I suspect some won't even believe whatever your demonstration might be...for instance, I don't believe that the papers flying around is really from qi - I think it was a parlor trick.

And what's the use of making people rethink their practices, when you're not actually providing a substitute? Just a nebulous "all of your training is wrong, and my school of practice is the only legitimate one". We've seen this before many times at the forum. In my view, it's a Chinese cultural phenomenon stemming from the warring states period, where different schools of thought are contrasting each other. "Confucianism is the true way, Daoism is a false way!" and vice versa.

Those who have studied the historical context of neidan realize that there isn't one true way...the entire basis of the practice is questionable. Also, that there are multiple ways of doing the same thing.

Regardless, what you say of your particular school of training seems interesting...I wish your posts would be more substantial regarding it.

With regards to what these terms refer to. I don't see the mystical terms filled with ambiguity anymore. I see physical bodily processes and physical defined elements(but simple terms and processes). Again, I will share this in time.

I'm not sure that Liu Yiming, for instance, would agree with the notion that these things are physical bodily processes or elements.

Please feel free to actually contribute to the forum. It's not really a contribution to come here and play the game of "my school is right, all others in the West are wrong, but I can't give exact details of my school". In my (limited) experience with those types of schools, they work under the same principles of any other and all of this kind of hyping it up just wastes people's time instead of helping anyone.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 3

It's the correct sequence in your school of training...if we look at the various texts of neidan, will we find that same sequence?

And I'm not angry or coming back at you for offending me, but you keep talking about demonstrations...I am just waiting for it.

To be clear about how I feel...I appreciate your presence here, and hope to learn more from you. I too am reflecting on my actions as a result of this thread.

• Like 2

I didn't actually ever say anyone's practice is incorrect. I said a step is missing. 

Hi 小梦想,

Maybe you already said and I just missed it, but could you explain what this initial step is that is often (?) missing.  I think that would be helpful, to me and perhaps others.  Thanks!

What I like about most about   小梦想's    posting is that he seems to see the demos as mainly proof to yourself that you have accomplished a certain stage, and that he says continued demos are a waste of energy. Unless of course you need to demonstrate to another that you have accomplished that level. The demos serve best as a self check on your progress, not to lead you off on a tangent.

I haven't heard it stated that way, and it seems to be obviously so.

So, Thank you 小梦想.

I have read your postings with much interest and appreciation, and look forward to more.

• Like 2

What I like about most about   小梦想's    posting is that he seems to see the demos as mainly proof to yourself that you have accomplished a certain stage, and that he says continued demos are a waste of energy.

That would be a convenient excuse for not demonstrating. "If your practice is real, you can demonstrate that you have qi...I can do that of course, so you should believe me when I say that all practices in the West are fake...but demonstrating would waste my qi, so I don't want to. But believe me."  ^_^ 

Of course, everyone should prove to themselves that their practice does something. I think most people in the West have experience genuine qi, and those who practice for years can definitely use it...it's not such a big deal.

We're also still being very ambiguous about what demonstration 小梦想 is talking about.

The ambiguity here shows that something is off. If this stuff is simple and not secret, there's no need for it. Heaven never hints.