Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines

on top of 

The Primal Scream

on top of 

The Secret History of the Mongols

and on the floor next to my nightstand are:

Fool's Quest (novel by Robin Hobb)

and the Penguin copy of Paradise Lost

Just finished "The Wisdom of Insecurity" by Alan Watts. Bought the book in the 90's and only read it now, in 2017.

Before that I read "The Power of Now", by Eckharte Tolle. Anothet good read. 

Now I'm reading "The Ten Thousand Things" by Robert Saltzman.

After this I'll probably switch gears and read about node.js programming and nosql databases. We'll see...

the search for the Panchen Lama and seven years in Tibet

Gives a little insight in the history of Tibet from the second world war until about 2000.

I found it a very worthwhile read, and made me understand why the Dalai Lamai may choose to not reincarnate or if he does not to be looked for.

https://www.amazon.in/Seven-Years-Tibet-Cornerstone-Editions/dp/1585427438

https://www.amazon.com/Search-Panchen-Lama-Isabel-Hilton/dp/0393321673

1 hour ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

Cultivating Stillness --Liu Hua-Yang (translator: Eva Wong)

Cultivating the Energy of Life --(Ostensibly) Lao Tzu + Commentary by Shui-ch'ing Tzu (translator: Eva Wong)

Taoist Yoga (also known as "The Secrets of Cultivating Essential Nature and Eternal Life) --Chao Pi Chen (translator: Lu K'uan Yu)

These will be on my nightstand for a good long while. The two translated by Eva Wong clarify and corroborate and directly state points that I was deciphering over the course of 5 years studying Taoist Yoga. These three are probably the most important books available because they are genuine---unlike many teachings in circulation these days. A close second would be Wang Liping's Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu---it also has genuine teachings but is not as direct with regards to core methods as these three books are.

I have some books to add to my stack... thanks mate!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 8:30 PM, 9th said:

META0357.jpg

Ever seen this documentary about Carlos Castañeda's life and death ??

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlI2gvSjJ4Q&list=PLWh8mY6_2FsHy1jA-Y-Vxl4lvKkkgJuGm

Edited by oak
The bbc documentary was altered, this is the original
  • Like 1

Great books here, I will make a list and then plunder my local library!

I'm not sure if its been added but my current readings:

Awaken the Giant within - Tony Robbins.  Great book on empowering yourself to take charge of your life.  I'm paraphrasing here but he says-"...every day, make one tough decision and one easy decision.  Flex your decision-making muscles"!

Lee Child- Echo Burning.  Just finished it in two days.  Anything by Lee Child is amazing.  He craps all over any other action / thriller writer I have read.

Cosmic Ordering in 7 Easy Steps - can't remember author.  A bit like the Secret, using the universe as an infinte storehouse of abundance to manifest your sincerest wishes into reality using  specific steps and mindset.  But my question is: After you've got for what you wished, will that make you happy??  So I try to wish for broader things, like the ability to become more open-minded to things in my life that will bring me the greatest happiness.   Just started it.

Karl Pilkington - Idiot Abroad.  Funny the first and second and third time.  (But I liked the series better)

MIndfulness 101 - Eric someone.  I believe being relaxed in life gets you more rewards, and you perceive life differently.  I am also on a mission to show others the benefits of health that relaxation gives, I"ve stopped eating gluten and sugar as well.  Still struggling to go beyond my constant mind with this book but this is a good start once I can apply it.  Once you master the skill you dn't forget it!!

The Three-Body Problem, by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu

I've read a lot of modern Chinese novels, this one is the first Chinese sci-fi I've come across.  The NYT blurb says, "It is a classic science fiction story in the style of Arthur C. Clarke."  However, I immediately found plot parallels with "One Billion Years Before the End of The World" (or, in the English translation, "Definitely Maybe"), by my favorite Russian sci-fi brothers, the Strugatskys, which I think I mentioned in some context or other before.  The plot similarity -- in both novels, a number of scientists on the cutting edge of some obscure, theoretical, fundamental research in a number of disciplines start getting interfered with by mysterious forces that want them to stop their work immediately, stop thinking about it even.  Or else.  For reasons unknown, by methods incomprehensible. 

Well, a great premise can be used more than once, nothing has to be completely original this late in the game, Hemingway actually asserted that there's only 10 plots in all of world literature, explored from different angles.  Love, poverty, revenge, coming of age, etc..  Of course he is not likely to have read any sci-fi or he may have found some more universal plots, unique to the genre.

Anyway, I'm having a great time with this book.  I'm about 1/3 into it, and so far, I'm neither disappointed, bored, annoyed by the language, nor yawning from complete predictability of where it's all going next (the sad situation with the bulk of my attempts to read new fiction in the past don't even want to say how many years.)  The three-body problem that gave the novel its title wound up completely fascinating me.  It's a complex math thingie that I will have to ask a mathematician friend to explain to me if he can (this is not required of the readers, of course, but I have contracted the three-body problem fever from the protagonists who are investing, and losing, their lives over it).  Meow.  A happy reader tonight, me.   

• Like 4

Alternating between a handful depending on how i'm feeling - 

- Plant Intelligence and the Imaginal Realm: Beyond the Doors of Perception into the Dreaming of Earth 

by: Stephen H. Buhner

- The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connection, and Courage 

by: Brene Brown (audio lecture)

- The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully by: Frank Ostaseski

- Man's Search for Meaning by: Victor E. Frankl

- Dune by: Frank Herbert

Edited by Rishi Das
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2016 at 10:24 PM, Old River said:

The word "mystical" is one of those words that unfortunately covers such a broad range that it almost always requires some kind of clarification, from the "rational mysticism" of Nagarjuna to the wild visions of Hildegard von Bingen.  I'm not opposed to the word "mysticism" myself per se, but I generally don't like to use the word myself for its ambiguity (for similar reasons, I usually don't use the word "spiritual").

Personally I prefer the word "ontological" instead (which, incidentally Hinton does as well)-- which centers around (ontological) Being rather than (empirical) beings-- this is, as you clarify "not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence ; beyond ordinary understanding."  So (as I see it), "ontological" and "mystical" are largely synonymous.  "Ontological" is an imperfect word also, for a different reason: First, "ontological" is such a horribly clumsy word, but, more importantly, it tends to overshadow the vital experiential aspect which is central to "mysticism." 

But all this is to say, I do get where you're coming from.  Words are just such bloody clumsy, blocky things-- especially when it comes to any metaphysical issues.  All that said, I do think McKibben is mistaken in speaking of Hinton's book as antithetical to mysticism.  Hinton is dealing with ontology throughout the book, which does mean he is dealing with what could very well be called "the mystical."  The book has much in common with Emerson and Thoreau, who also saw nature as being fully imbued with that sense of the numinous-- an emphasis on immanence of "the divine" (so to speak) IN the whole of nature rather than apart from it or "beyond" it.  "Mysticism" need not always be tied to the "supernatural" in this respect, and I feel this is where Hinton is coming from.  For these reasons, I think it's largely a semantic issue myself. 

I just wanted to point out this is a great insight for me personally.  To shine a light on it for others to peer at.  I have veered away in my last few years from wanting something mystical and supernatural so badly to not believing there is anything but that which is the "physical world."  Love how it is stated here, "the divine IN the whole of nature rather than apart from it, or "beyond it."  I currently embrace simplicity and the plain truth of that which is.  Thank you for this sir.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 9:15 PM, Taomeow said:

The Three-Body Problem, by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu

I've read a lot of modern Chinese novels, this one is the first Chinese sci-fi I've come across.  The NYT blurb says, "It is a classic science fiction story in the style of Arthur C. Clarke."  However, I immediately found plot parallels with "One Billion Years Before the End of The World" (or, in the English translation, "Definitely Maybe"), by my favorite Russian sci-fi brothers, the Strugatskys, which I think I mentioned in some context or other before.  The plot similarity -- in both novels, a number of scientists on the cutting edge of some obscure, theoretical, fundamental research in a number of disciplines start getting interfered with by mysterious forces that want them to stop their work immediately, stop thinking about it even.  Or else.  For reasons unknown, by methods incomprehensible. 

Well, a great premise can be used more than once, nothing has to be completely original this late in the game, Hemingway actually asserted that there's only 10 plots in all of world literature, explored from different angles.  Love, poverty, revenge, coming of age, etc..  Of course he is not likely to have read any sci-fi or he may have found some more universal plots, unique to the genre.

Anyway, I'm having a great time with this book.  I'm about 1/3 into it, and so far, I'm neither disappointed, bored, annoyed by the language, nor yawning from complete predictability of where it's all going next (the sad situation with the bulk of my attempts to read new fiction in the past don't even want to say how many years.)  The three-body problem that gave the novel its title wound up completely fascinating me.  It's a complex math thingie that I will have to ask a mathematician friend to explain to me if he can (this is not required of the readers, of course, but I have contracted the three-body problem fever from the protagonists who are investing, and losing, their lives over it).  Meow.  A happy reader tonight, me.   

Did you finish this one yet?

Have you started the others in the trilogy?

I may give it a shot, I've read several Chinese novels by a variety of authors and I've yet to be disappointed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steve said:

Did you finish this one yet?

Have you started the others in the trilogy?

I may give it a shot, I've read several Chinese novels by a variety of authors and I've yet to be disappointed.

Yes, I've finished it, and am reading the second one in the trilogy, "The Dark Forest."  Will be curious to find out how you like it if you give it a go.  I loved it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Yes, I've finished it, and am reading the second one in the trilogy, "The Dark Forest."  Will be curious to find out how you like it if you give it a go.  I loved it.  

Just bought it.

Also just bought The Book of Dust, the first book in a new trilogy that is a follow up to Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

This will be the most fiction I've read in some time...

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve said:

Just bought it.

Also just bought The Book of Dust, the first book in a new trilogy that is a follow up to Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

This will be the most fiction I've read in some time...

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

His Dark Materials has a continuation now?  Cool!  I got this one as a gift from someone who asked me to explain to her how the I Ching works, I did my best (she knew nothing about it beyond the fact that it exists), and next she gives me Pullman's trilogy, "it's a children's book but you might like it, because of the I Ching."  :)  Not entirely a children's book of course...  depends on how you read it.  The mixing in of all the Christian lore was a bit annoying, but much of it was great fun, and much of it was a great concern, too close to home despite a fantastic premise.  I wonder where it all went in the next installment...  hoping for more of the imaginative direction of the best of it, less of the one I don't care much for.  Will have to check it out, thanks!  

Yes, I haven't read much fiction in some time either, but it comes and goes in waves for me now (used to be a steady tsunami for years, and then a very low tide, but now...  in waves.)  Kindle has changed the game a bit.  I still prefer physical books, but people from several countries send me books in e-format now when they have read something they found of interest, in two languages.  My Kindle is charged with enough fiction I haven't read yet to last me for several tsunamis.  It's a good thing there's been no tsunami warning in a long while...  :)    

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 0:36 PM, Taomeow said:

Halfway through the first book and find it compelling and thoroughly enjoyable.The characters are wonderful, the tension is building, it's easy to read, and I can't yet tell where it's headed although I have some suspicions.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steve said:

Halfway through the first book and find it compelling and thoroughly enjoyable.The characters are wonderful, the tension is building, it's easy to read, and I can't yet tell where it's headed although I have some suspicions.

Thanks for the recommendation!

My pleasure!  I finished the whole trilogy by now.  I think the second book was the best!  And if you think (foreshadowing) the "dark forest" premise is a dark way to look at the nature of the universe, try disproving it...  I tried hard!  And the third one had a twist that will make anyone's hair stand on end!!

Here and there, I had to skip over a few pages of heavy futuristic science backing up the author's designs (not because it's not interesting in and of itself, but because I was impatient to find out what happens next :D ), and the first book annoyed me a bit with its videogames (although the one dealing with using the army as a computer I found mighty educational -- now I know how computers work! :blush: ) but those, mercifully, never returned once their point in the plot arrived home.  Overall it was great fun.  I am back to nonfiction for now but I will eventually seek out something else by Cixin Liu.        

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1