Cameron

Lama Dorje

:D Tell me his lips aren't kind of blue. I assume he's a vegetarian, he's probably not getting enough iron. The man might be able to walk on water but he still needs to eat, doesn't he? And it's not a prejudice against Tibetan masters, for example I think Lama Surya Das looks very healthy and youthful.

Yoda, thanks! :lol:

After many requests for more information from those of you who have shown a genuine interest in these ancient, secret practices, I have posted a new topic called, Kunlun Bliss Practice. Here we can get into the meat and 'taters of what this practice is about and what it can do for you.

See you there.

Not sure about the argument on the DNA Pietro presented, but we shouldn't dismiss something because there is no immediate proof. It may or may not be. One may not have a Dr. degree and see with "inner eye" the changes within. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Not sure about the argument on the DNA Pietro presented, but we shouldn't dismiss something because there is no immediate proof. It may or may not be. One may not have a Dr. degree and see with "inner eye" the changes within. Is it possible? Absolutely.

I like it because you ask the question and you answer yourself, too. :rolleyes:

Often, in science, things are not proven, but are disproven. Out of the infinity of possibilities you can sort out what is not, but this does not tells you nothing about what is. This big limit should just be enough to make you unconfortable of anyone who claims to know what is going on. But let's look at how scientific discoveries are made more in detail.

But then you have two process, the inner eye, and the research. The inner eye is really important, because it tells you where to look. And it is accepted among scientists that a person that had really got himself involved with a problem will have a deeper understanding than someone that just did some experiments to prove or disprove something. (Actually just to disprove, you pretty much can never prove, but this is going toward epistemology -no you don't need to read it this time, is just the definition)

So the inner eye puts all the info you have gathered on something together and comes out with a plausible solution. This is when you say "this might be what is going on". Einstein used the inner eye to guide him in understanding relativity when he started making experiments in his mind with a train going through the stars at a speed that is close to the speed of light. Still Einstein could not prove the theory of relativity. He just could present it as a possible explenation. In the years many people have tried to disprove it. And failed it. How? The theory of relativity predicted a certain number of effects we had not measured at the time. Like the way in which light bends around stars so that you can sometimes see the same star on the sky two times, or how time travels slower when you travel faster, thus when we sent one of two very precise clocks in orbit, eventually it was running not exactly in tune with the other. All this gives us hints that relativity is probably right. We still don't know it. But it is at the level that we consider it "true". But to reach this it took many years and it is still not ended. And every time we measure the speed of light, we might disprove the theory of relativity. It is enough that one time it goes at a different speed and we have to find a new solution all together.

What many meditators do is, they find themself with an interesting phenomena. And meditation is full of interesting phenomena, although they areunfortunately often hard to measure. They try to use their (often scarce, and amatorial) knowledge of science to find out what is going on. Often they use their "inner eye" and meditative abilities to find something. Then with no external test whatsoever, done by other people, they come up and say that "this is what is happening".

And if, god forbids, they are deluding themselves? About their sensations (since many things can't be measured, and you really should take a statisticalsample to study it), about their understanding of science (especially quantum physics, I mean, not like addition among natural numbers, it is hard stuff), about their ability of their inner eye to pull things together, or (aargh) to channel scientific explenations? The whole building of science that has been build upon their discovery crumbles.

The inner eye is fine and an important element in the process of understanding reality, but it cannot be the ultimate test. Just one, admittedly important, on the way. And until the decades of tests has been done you are still not allowed to call a theory a fact. Not in science. And I would add not in any serious investigation of reality.

True. Like I said, it may or may not be. To me, I trust my gut feeling/inner eye/intuition. Plus what Sifu Max says I've heard from other traditions with a simular training like Kunlun.

M.

Not sure about the argument on the DNA Pietro presented, but we shouldn't dismiss something because there is no immediate proof. It may or may not be.

To me, no biggie if it turns out to be a mistake (which is quite possible, and no teacher is perfect at all parts of life & teaching). The selling point is that the vibe that is coming through the site is very high vibe. You can't fake that. The guy has ability, period. Whether he is adept at teaching that to others remains to be seen, whether it's a safe method for most people, whether it's profound enough and the students get skillful understanding... who knows. But - again, for me - it's clear that it'd be an extraordinary Light experience to be in a weekend workshop/intensive with this guy.

Hey folks, we have decided to do another free lecture the night before the seminar at the Bodhi Tree Bookstore in West Hollywood.

Come meet Lama Dorje for yourself. You can ask him any questions you want. Everyone is welcome to attend.

See you there.

Chris

I think I might go see Lama Dorje. Why not? Does anyone know how it differs from say Kan&Li? The thing about internalizing black hole energy in your head sounds very Stellar Kan&Li to me. Editing here....I'm definately going.

Edited by liminal_luke

Just to be a little rain cloud hanging over the parade, going by the information on the website Lama Dorje's Tibetan Lama credentials appear tenuous.

Going by credentials doesn't work very well, imo, even if it's the teacher's teachers are awesome doesn't necessarily follow that the teacher in question is good or good for a particular practitioner. Better to go by gut feeling, imo.

Could you expound?

Sure thing Matt.

The biographical information used to establish his credentials is vague and the references to the Tibetan practice lineages too general, e.g. 'Cave Lama practice', 'Snake Chod' which seem to appeal more to populist new age sentiment then to clarity of practice lineage. It is unclear what training he undertook to get the title 'Lama' (receiving the Vajrakilaya initiation seems to be disproportionately emphasised), who actually bestowed the title Lama on him and to what Tibetan lineage he belongs. His Tibetan name, Nakpha Dorje, gives a clue, i.e. a lay tantric practitioner in the Nyingma School, but his short hair belies the title of a Ngakpa whose hair is never cut after ordination. It is also unclear who authourised him to teach the 'essence of Nyingma tantra'; the mantra and visualisations of Vajrakilaya; and the basics of the spurious sounding 'Cave Lama practice' to, presumably, non-Buddhists. In the Vajrayana teaching this is a big deal, as is precise identification of the practice lineage. There are stern uncompromising stipulations about who can teach Vajrayana and who can receive and practice it.

Looking at the subjects taught the Tibetan element forms a small part of an impressive looking curriculum. Those of a less charitable and cynical disposition, i.e. me, may wonder that why, from all the many names Max Christensen is known by, does he choose to teach an essentially non-Tibetan curriculum using a Tibetan name, if not purely for the marketing value?

Rex,

That's why taobums is sending the fearless Love Bunny to the scene... As we say in the states:

Love Bunny, Love Bunny he's our man!

If he can't do it no one can!

It sounds like you are nicely connected with traditional Tibetan Buddhism. I never could get the hang of it... Flunked prostrations and all that. Since then I've thought it was a pity that all the good stuff was inaccessible to me. So I'm all for people like Lama Dorje experimenting with greater openness. I think there have been lots of good reasons for higher teachings to be inaccessible, but now I think that the time has come for a greater degree of information to be dispersed. It's really almost an imperative, imo. And it's not just the American teachers, but even the Dalai Lama himself has broken with a lot of tradition as well.

Your pal,

Yoda

hehe..wow that is quite a responsibilty you have put on my shoulders Yoda. Luckily, it already looks like other Tao Bums are becoming interested in maybe going too.

I think-I don't have a clue and no real place to even speak on this-Chris has already mentioned Lama Dorje as being a "system buster"..someone who is basically super uber gifted(like living Bodhisattva level of gifted) and learned and then transmitted the highest teachings from many mystery schools.

The way I am approaching this is I am pretty sure I haven't met anyone like him before. So just go with an open mind and then maybe have opinions after.

namaste

The biographical information used to establish his credentials is vague and the references to the Tibetan practice lineages too general, e.g. 'Cave Lama practice', 'Snake Chod' which seem to appeal more to populist new age sentiment then to clarity of practice lineage. It is unclear what training he undertook to get the title 'Lama' (receiving the Vajrakilaya initiation seems to be disproportionately emphasised), who actually bestowed the title Lama on him and to what Tibetan lineage he belongs. His Tibetan name, Nakpha Dorje, gives a clue, i.e. a lay tantric practitioner in the Nyingma School, but his short hair belies the title of a Ngakpa whose hair is never cut after ordination. It is also unclear who authourised him to teach the 'essence of Nyingma tantra'; the mantra and visualisations of Vajrakilaya; and the basics of the spurious sounding 'Cave Lama practice' to, presumably, non-Buddhists. In the Vajrayana teaching this is a big deal, as is precise identification of the practice lineage. There are stern uncompromising stipulations about who can teach Vajrayana and who can receive and practice it.

True, but when a bald, white guy with ice-blue eyes shows up out of nowhere and asks the folks at the monastery about "his" cave, the long-forgotten one hidden behind the temple (that none of them knew even existed until he showed it to them), they immediately kowtow and give him carte blanche of the place.

Looking at the subjects taught the Tibetan element forms a small part of an impressive looking curriculum. Those of a less charitable and cynical disposition, i.e. me, may wonder that why, from all the many names Max Christensen is known by, does he choose to teach an essentially non-Tibetan curriculum using a Tibetan name, if not purely for the marketing value?

Again we are dealing with taking the best from many traditions (Kahuna, Native American, Tibetan, Mongolian, Egyptian and primarily Taoism) and stripping away all of the unnecessary elements to get to the root.

The continued use of the title "Lama Dorje" is partly because when I met him he was at the end of his Tibetan experience and still using the name. We then wrote and published Pillars of Bliss in Japan while he was still using that name. We also used it on the website. So while he prefers to be called Max, he became known to the world as Lama Dorje.

As far as his Tibetan connection, I believe we have a direct link to Ralo Rimpoche at the Phodrang Monastery in Nepal, on our website. You can ask him about Max if you'd like.

Edited by Mantra68

best from many traditions (Kahuna, Native American, Tibetan, Mongolian, Egyptian and primarily Taoism)

He's Taoist? That's way cool.

Mantra68, do you think it's cool for us just to call him Max or Big Max (we have another Max on board)?